Week 12 Post Game thread Bills vs Chargers

Chandler#81

Did anyone else notice Klein hopping on his toes at the LOS before a lot of plays? Like he just couldn't wait to get after the ball. He looked like a possessed german shepherd playing fetch.

I spent most of the offseason, and half the regular season bashing the guy. Now I love him!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

Did anyone else notice Klein hopping on his toes at the LOS before a lot of plays? Like he just couldn't wait to get after the ball. He looked like a possessed german shepherd playing fetch.

I spent most of the offseason, and half the regular season bashing the guy. Now I love him!

Yup! Klein has definitely flipped the script lately.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Pretty close to a direct quote from today's game:

"fighting for yards... looks like he's got enough for a first down... and he's got it!"

I forget which Charger had the ball, but he was nine yards short of a first down. Greg Gumbal was looking at the wrong down marker.

Gumbel also called out Harrison Phillips for a personal foul penalty...... 

When our OFFENSE was on the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

My thoughts:

-Taron Johnson looked pretty decent in covering K. Allen.  Not great, not terrible.

-Klein, Oliver and Hughes were great in this game.  In the backfield every play.  Meanwhile Edmunds crashed back down to earth and was mostly invisible.

-Williams and Dawkins had their worst game of the year.  Bosa embarrassed them in some weird switch in ability between the Ts and the Gs today.  Pass blocking was horrendous.

-Run blocking was great, especially just up the middle.  Both Singletary and Moss looked decent in a season where that has been a high bar to clear for them so far.

-Allen played his worst game of the season.  Just downright bad.  Thankfully he played it safe today, because I think he knew he didn't have "it."  It's becoming a pattern where he either starts 7/7, 83 yards, TD or 4/7, 26 yards and he never really falls off or gets better during games.  The drop-off between this offense with Brown and without is shocking.  You have to hope and pray he only misses the 3 games.

-We won this game in no small part because Anthony Lynn is an idiot.  Not the finest hour for this offense but the defense did step up and had probably their best game of the year.

-Refereeing this game was abysmal.  That Moss call was Cody-Ford-blindside-block-level phantom call.

In the end, 8-3.  Just keep winning.

I disagree on Allen.  He was having a brutally efficient game in piloting the Bills to a 24 - 6 lead half way through the 3rd quarter. He was completing 75% of his passes had one TD pass and one TD run.  And hadn't made a mistake.  On their first TD drive Allen's well placed deep ball drew a PI that set up the Bills at 1st & goal. 

At this point Allen was playing at an A level.  Then Singleterry loses that fumble and the bottom drops out on Allen for the next two series with a careless INT and fumble.  But for most of the game Allen played very well. The Bills approached this game differently and it was working until all the weird stuff happened in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense was a complete disaster in the 4th quarter.... the game was no different from what we are used to. Get out to a big lead and let the opponent hang around with sloppy play. Has to be some sort of mentality from the top that carries down to the players on the field. Similar to the Dan Quinn Falcons but not as bad obviously. 

Happy with the win but have to agree here. We can't seem to keep a team down when we have them down. We constantly blow leads and let them hang around for a weekly white knuckle finish. The sloppy play and piles of penalties are concerning this late in the season. I knew we'd be in for a sloppy game when we got hit with and an illegal formation penalty on the FN opening kickoff.

I attribute much of the TV graphic mistakes to Covid.  I work with a lot of these graphics operators, and because so many sporting events were cancelled this summer, these freelance graphics operators moved on to other work.  The Networks are struggling to put on good shows right now with anyone they can find.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

This is a one and done playoff team if they play like that 

Their margin of victory against the Chargers was more than the Chiefs and Saints margins of victory combined.  Are they one and done too?  The Chargers are a good team and the Bills controlled the game from start to finish. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

They won by two scores. You do realize that 70 percent of games in the NFL are decided by one score or less, right?

We can probably win the first playoff game vs a weaker opponent at home. This team is clearly not elite. Still young and developing. Pitt or KC will destroy us in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Are we concerned with garbage time scores now?  We have had control in so many games.  If anything this game was weird cause they didn’t get the garbage time TD.

It wasn’t perfect but you don’t necessarily need perfect or dominant to win in the post season. You might need to play that way but not necessarily.  We moved the ball on them all day. I think those TOs can (And will) get fixed up.

Finally we have beaten plenty of good teams and look to have a better record than last year when we played a cupcake schedule. Are we gonna be favored after the first round of the playoffs? No but I think we’re gonna get a shot playing with house money. 

Yes agree we've beaten some good teams and with one more win in the last five will tie last years record, two wins will exceed last years total wins which is good.  Agree too that after first round likely won't be favored against a few teams.  And agree we had control in so many games only to let it slip away in so many games too, that's the worrisome part.

But calling these garbage times scores is way under selling it. We were up 18 points, and let them get within one score and came close to having to again worry about recovering an onsides kick to seal the game.  Did it happen no but too often is coming down to that after letting good size leads slip away.  In 11 games only the 2nd Jets game and the NE game did we outscore the team in the 2nd half.   One of these days and maybe repeated days this will catch up to the team and with only a one game lead on Miami, could find ourselves losing the division and on the road for the wild card too.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Success said:

I haven't read through all of the comments. It's funny that people are critical about it.  

We're 8-3, with a solid win over a tough opponent.  1st place in the AFCE.

Loving it.

Funny how high expectations have become. We're only three years removed the Drought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I very much doubt that any of the coaches or players are going to come away from this win complacent. They all know that they made many mistakes. 

McDermott does not strike me as somebody who settles for "good enough."