Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

The Playoffs picture is really going to take shape after this weekend and every game is significant, going to be an insane round of football. I'd sever my pinky toe for a quality Bills win this weekend.

Wow, bro! What would you do for a Super Bowl win? 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

Murray is really exciting and he’s turning into a good qb. Sometimes he doesn’t look real on the screen because he is so tiny and the quickness he shows confuses your eyes a little. They have some really nice pieces on the outside and they can run the ball well. They pretty much play a college offense and the volume of plays alone will create decent scoring paces. They have been a nice story and maybe “arrived” a year ahead of schedule. They are pretty good.

Call me crazy but I’m still a little surprised at the line. Also, I’m usually pretty pessimistic when it comes to the bills. 30+ years of disappointment (until recently) But sort of like last week, I feel like we are going to be in pretty good shape here. I definitely could be wrong but I’m seeing a lot of what I saw last week. People just drooling all over the other teams QB and WRs...The guy we have is pretty good too. Would you trade Allen for Murray straight up? I wouldn’t. I also like our 3 WRs more then the guys they have. Now obviously that’s current state. Hopkins is amazing and Larry Fitzgerald is a top 5 WR of all time but I’d say he’s considerably on the decline. The point is, it sounds a little like last week. Everyone making the opponent out to be superior . The Bills are the better team IMO. The Bills have some very nice wins this season. Certainly a better resume then the Cardinals. I’m not saying We shouldn’t be concerned but I think the Bills are going to have a pretty good look here. Call it a hunch but I felt the same last week. And this is coming from a guy that’s telling people to not overlook the Jets usually. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The key to stopping Kyler Murray (maybe) in the run game is as follows:

We need tremendous DL play and disciplined responsibilities by our LBs. They cannot allow themselves to be fooled by their eyes, especially on zone reads, options, motions, etc. The second we have players going off script (crashing on a zone read when they are QB responsible, going back door instead of THROUGH a block), KM will gash us. I have trust in McD that he is going to be PREACHING gap integrity and "playing your role" in the defense this week - as usual, but possibly more-so than ever. The players have to buy in, and allow their teammates to make plays when their number is called upon, staying home on their assignments so that Kliff cannot take advantage of cheating players they see from the booth. This will also help limit their edge on play action roll outs, bootlegs and sprint outs. 

I don't expect many DL stunts or run blitzes, because I think this is how you get caught in trouble vs. a team like ARI. They are not maulers on the ground game, and their best true RB is not healthy, and might not even play. I expect a very safe game call from McD/Fraiser on early downs, despite the aggressiveness they've shown in recent weeks. I think they'll be more willing to let their guys play, and make the cards beat them with long drives and working the field (much like teams have tried to make us do!)

Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Murray is really exciting and he’s turning into a good qb. Sometimes he doesn’t look real on the screen because he is so tiny and the quickness he shows confuses your eyes a little. They have some really nice pieces on the outside and they can run the ball well. They pretty much play a college offense and the volume of plays alone will create decent scoring paces. They have been a nice story and maybe “arrived” a year ahead of schedule. They are pretty good.

Call me crazy but I’m still a little surprised at the line. Also, I’m usually pretty pessimistic when it comes to the bills. 30+ years of disappointment (until recently) But sort of like last week, I feel like we are going to be in pretty good shape here. I definitely could be wrong but I’m seeing a lot of what I saw last week. People just drooling all over the other teams QB and WRs...The guy we have is pretty good too. Would you trade Allen for Murray straight up? I wouldn’t. I also like our 3 WRs more then the guys they have. Now obviously that’s current state. Hopkins is amazing and Larry Fitzgerald is a top 5 WR of all time but I’d say he’s considerably on the decline. The point is, it sounds a little like last week. Everyone making the opponent out to be superior . The Bills are the better team IMO. The Bills have some very nice wins this season. Certainly a better resume then the Cardinals. I’m not saying We shouldn’t be concerned but I think the Bills are going to have a pretty good look here. Call it a hunch but I felt the same last week. And this is coming from a guy that’s telling people to not overlook the Jets usually. 

So there's a pretty good interview with Greg Cosell, Tasker and Brown.    Good stuff, give it a listen:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/greg-cosell-on-bills-cardinals-and-week-10

Fundamentally, he debunks this.

-Bills-Cardinals is "Marquee Game of the Week" in the NFL Matchup Show with a feature on Stefon Diggs route running

-Two teams that play the most 1-0 personnel are facing off: 20% for Cards, 19% for Bills

-Cardinals play high percentage of cover-1 man

-Allen blitzed 60% of the time in the Seahawk game, 78% completions for 255 yds. 

-Cardinals better defense than Seahawks

-Cardinals are not a team that "lines up and tosses all it over the yard", they are NOT just a Spread team.  Play a lot of 1-1 and 1-2 personnel as well

-Murray has faced the fewest snaps of man coverage (cover-1) because Murray so effective running against man

-Spy concept not overly effective against Murray's athleticism, play zone and keep multiple eyes on him.  The term "mush rush" was used.

-Bills were effective last week with the blitz against Wilson, especially zone blitzes, he thinks it's interesting will we do similar this week?

Key takehome bolded above.  Frazier said similar, Poyer said similar: this is not the college-type RPO offense we faced against the Ravens last year.  Murray can drop back and pass from the pocket and be effective.  Cosell did comment that as with Russ Wilson early in his career, Murray does fail to see open receivers at times.

I love me some Diggs.  I love his personality.   I love the way I see him affecting the entire Bills WR room.  He's a top WR.

But the word I still use for Hopkins is "covet".  He is in his own class.  I have to kind of give the Cards WR room the edge - reluctantly as I love our guys.  But 2/3 of what makes a WR effective is how he's used.  Daboll verged on brilliant last week in how he schemed guys open and Allen executed well designed plays at a very high level, and our guys were more than able to take advantage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

I blitz the kid and keep your hands up on the DL. He is inconsistent and wins with his legs and not with his arm. Time to make him out pass us because it won’t happen. 

I think this is playing with fire. If they choose to go this route, it will be aptly timed and not overly used. Delayed blitzes, overloads, etc. But I can't see them bringing 5 or 6 consistently.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I think this is going to be similar to last week where the bills are going to need a lot of points to win.

I am thinking at least 31 points. 

And I got confidence in them as I believe John brown is going to have a huge game.

It would be nice to call Browns number a few extra time

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Any chance we can all make a pact to not call for Jake Fromm if Josh throws an incomplete pass tomorrow? Can we just remember the joy of this week after his near perfect game? This week where we want him in Canton? 

No? OK. 

Question: have you actually heard anyone calling for Jake Fromm, even after Josh had some pretty bad games against the Titans and KC and  there was talk of "regressing"?

'cuz I haven't, short of an occasional comment from our dear new-this-year friend @JakeFrommStateFarm but with a name like that, it's kind of reflexively expected.

Now of course that could change.

• Like (+1) 1

We all would love to see a strong Bills performance which puts them right back in elite status.

Let's hope they don't come out as flat as they did against Tennessee where a turnover right away basically said the Bills aren't showing up today.

58 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Any chance we can all make a pact to not call for Jake Fromm if Josh throws an incomplete pass tomorrow? Can we just remember the joy of this week after his near perfect game? This week where we want him in Canton? 

No? OK. 

Wth are you talking about?