Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let me ask you this: since you wanted him back in August.

Tell me about your reasoning, why? 

Former first round pick who showed nothing with the Airplanes. 

Couldn't see the field with KC last season, even though they were Boarding House PB at linebacker

Low risk/high reward. Former 1st round pick, maybe he just needs to find the right system. Or maybe he’s Aaron Maybin. He has a lot more athleticism than Klein which isn’t really that hard to accomplish. I don’t believe he’ll be a starter but he could be quality depth

12 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree they mishandled the QB room with Josh early... I know they wanted to sign Fitz/McCown and it didn’t work out. They traded McCarron which defeated the purpose of bringing him in. 

Although, the whole mentoring thing is a little overblown IMO. You definitely need leaders in the locker room but it’s not always position to position. See Mario Addison comforting Josh after his grandmother passing. Josh seems to have developed just fine without a real veteran QB around the mentor him. 

Josh is Josh because he’s Josh. Point being, guys can learn how to do things the right way from guys who play different positions, ultimately it falls on the person who’s making the adjustments to actually make them. That Larry Fitz interview with Kim Pegula went into how Kurt Warner mentored him and in return he’s mentoring Kyler Murray in his own way. 

Josh was never going to fail because he didn’t have another older QB showing him the ropes. That’s what the coaching staff is for... if they’re not teaching a guy how to prepare that’s on them... it helps to have a player... but what we know about Josh... he was going to take care of it himself and absorb information from whomever gave it to him. He’s not the uncoachable type.

I certainly agree Josh is not uncoachable.  And I could also be wrong here.  But I think there's a different viewpoint transmitted from someone who has actually played a position and done so at a high level or at least with some success. 

It's part of that "culture change" need, right?  The level of focus and attention to detail and preparation is just different on a championship team than on a team that's just playing.  At least that's what I've been told by a player who has most certainly BTDT.  The QB, above all others, has the highest need for focus and attention to detail and preparation.  And the coaches can't oversee the players through every moment of preparation.

Can a QB learn from players at other positions and from coaches?  Most certainly - that's been one of the "smart moves" about bringing in Beasley and Brown and now Diggs.  They're teaching and mentoring Josh how to grow and help his NFL WR make plays in a way a rookie who is just learning himself how to thrive in the NFL could not IMO. 

But it's not the whole enchilada I believe.  One of the things Beasley and Diggs have both mentioned they love about their WR coach Chad Hall is that "he's played the position".  They've both said that helps him understand what they're dealing with in a different way and gives him a different set of tools to help him with.

I would think it has to be the same, only more so, at QB.  It's one thing to have a guy sitting in the booth or standing on the sideline tell you what you need to be seeing and doing with 300 lb behemoths that have NFL speed bearing down on you.  It's another thing to have a guy who has actually had that experience in your ear.  The advice has a different tinge.

I also think Josh is probably a bit hard-headed, for values of "bit" equal to "bring a diamond drill". I mean, listen to Coach Bohl's story.  Here Josh is, this JUCO guy competing for a starting job in spring football with his single scholarship offer, telling his division I coach "No Coach, Brett Favre says Touchdowns First!"  Josh's story about Daboll turning red and screaming at him for 5 minutes when he threw to the back of the endzone instead of taking the throw to the flat. 

I don't say that as a knock on him at all.  A guy who got no scholarship offers out of high school and one out of JUCO and who must have heard all the stuff about how he was trash and a parody of an NFL prospect and still has Terry Bradshaw grinning on national television and pronouncing "he'll never be more than a 50% passer" has got to have a damned loud inner voice and an interior sense of self-confidence and competitiveness that are strong beyond belief.  If he weren't coated with a thick protective shell of self belief, he'd never be where he is.

Those aren't stories about someone who is easy to coach.  He had to "buy in" first, and believe in his heart that this was someone whose advice could and would help him if he listened carefully.  Think back to Josh's first season: the OL could neither run block nor pass block very successfully, we had minimal run game, and WR talent was both lacking and lacking in execution (in part due to injuries, I grant).  All those plans seemed to fade with the first punch in the mouth and Josh reverted to make stuff happen with instinct and willpower.  He needed to see a vet come in like Barkley did against the Jets and make it work, and work well, with the same guys.

I would guess that Josh is probably a bit like the joke about the mule trained with loving-kindness, and in that situation, someone who has actually been a mule (so to speak) is invaluable to help get the message through.

PS he never would I'm sure, but I'd love to hear what Larry Fitz would say about working with Josh Rosen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

So what you are saying is the Bills can win if they score more points than the Cardinals.

What out of my comment was so hard to understand you responded with that^^^^^..... if you understood what I wrote it said, no shoot out, eat up clock by running the ball, limit their touches and contain Murray....

You respond, so you’re saying Bills win if they can score more points....?

Cool story.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you think Josh is leaving town?   Has this been announced somewhere that he's leaving?

He would have to quarantine and be locked out of the facilities for at least 5 days on his return.

I would hope the Bills would allow this for bereavement reasons, but it's risky

I guess if you are going to take that risk, the bye week is the time to do it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, Back2Buff said:

I'm confused at what stat I should go off?  Should I go off our defensive passing rating?

The DVOA for passing is 17th in league.  Please tell me what I should use to show Hyde makes a large impact of this team.

WOW! Announcers just talked about why Poyer AND Hyde are so important to our defense. Everything they listed, well, wasn’t a counting statistic.

Funny how that all works... 

15 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

WOW! Announcers just talked about why Poyer AND Hyde are so important to our defense. Everything they listed, well, wasn’t a counting statistic.

Funny how that all works... 

Hahahaha, great play by Hyde on the Hopkins catch.  Was he trying to hold him up so he can get higher in the air, or trying to keep him in bounds?

I thought Hyde is back there to prevent long catches.

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Hahahaha, great play by Hyde on the Hopkins catch.  Was he trying to hold him up so he can get higher in the air, or trying to keep him in bounds?

I thought Hyde is back there to prevent long catches.

Trolls gonna troll 🤷‍♂️

Your response is that of a 13 year old child.