Best single play in Bills history

stevestojan

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Never heard someone say a kicker is one of their favorite players, but who am I to judge. Sometimes inspiration comes in strange ways... if that does it for you, good for you... go do something great and recover your own onside kick to spark something. 

Where id Brianmoormanforjesus when you need him ;)

Those OJ clips were enthralling.  Dude was big, at full speed on his first step, had the change of direction of a scatback and could out run everybody.  There’s no way there’s more than 3-4 RB’s in history with his talent.  Jim Brown, OJ, Barry Sanders.  Probably in that order.  

• Like (+1) 1

To me, best single play needs to be a great, meaningful play in a game that impacted positively for the Bills in a meaningful game. So there are some great plays like the Roland Hooks play, the Don Beebe chase down of Lett a whole bunch of OJ runs in losing seasons and maybe even the Terrell Owens 98 yard TD that you think about, I don't think they are the best single play in Bills history. I think all the ones that fit this criteria have been mentioned:

1. Mike Stratton hit - signature play in a championship game

2. Jim Kelly TD vs. Miami - A statement game for Kelly and that team 

3. Ahmad Rashad TD on MNF - One of the best finishes of a MNF game and the start of the only playoff year for the Bills in the 70s

4. The OJ 88 yard run vs. Steelers - Went up against the best team in the era and staking a claim that they could hang with them (which didn't last)

5. The Bennett 77 second sequence - turned around that season and established Bennett as a top notch player

The comeback game and 51-3 are tough to pick one iconic play. The comeback game had the onside kick, the Beebe TD where he was out of bounds, the 4th down TD to Reed, Odomes INT and the game winning FG. The play in the 51-3 AFC championship win that I think people talk most about isn't even a play - it's the basketball time out the Raiders took because they were gassed on defense. 

The one OJ run that I loved was vs. Philly where he reverses field and runs for a 75 or 80 yard TD. 

Easy. 

The ‘Hit heard ‘round the World’. Mike Stratton’s rib crushing smackdown on Keith Lincoln in the ‘64 Title Game. We were a huge home underdog. The Chargers took the Opening kickoff and easily raced down field to a 7-0 lead. We weren’t in their League. They were the defending Champs and had played in 3 Championships already. Then..

it happened.

The rest, as they say, is History.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m sure Hap, Chandler, Donuts, or someone can remember, but it was the December Fins game in Buffalo.  RickyWilliams ran for Ithink 220 that day, and there was steady amount of snow in the first half.  After halftime, it turned into a full on Blizzard, and only Bills fans Went nuts cheering the snow.  So a pass gets thrown to Eric Moulds (one of my favorite Bills), and it was a really deep pass.  It must have been Bledsoe.  He catches it one handed and runs for a ton after the catch.  The stadium went nuts and we won.

There have been so many moments, and House brought up a funny one when Brady got tattooed.

I was at that game. I was only maybe 11-12 years old. We went to a lot of games when I was WAY younger, but didn't go to games there for a while. That was the first game that got me really "into" the Bills. 

I still remember them playing "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" over the PA in the stadium.

For 2020, the play that set the tone for the rest of the season was the  goal line INT by White of  Fitz.   The  Dolphins were knocking on the door  and with a TD would have taken a 10+ point lead and put the game away.   White's INT  was turned around by a  TD march by the offense and the  Bills went on to win that game.  That game also got them on a run  culminating with the win at Pittsburgh on Sunday night which punched their ticket to the playoffs.

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m sure Hap, Chandler, Donuts, or someone can remember, but it was the December Fins game in Buffalo.  RickyWilliams ran for Ithink 220 that day, and there was steady amount of snow in the first half.  After halftime, it turned into a full on Blizzard, and only Bills fans Went nuts cheering the snow.  So a pass gets thrown to Eric Moulds (one of my favorite Bills), and it was a really deep pass.  It must have been Bledsoe.  He catches it one handed and runs for a ton after the catch.  The stadium went nuts and we won.

There have been so many moments, and House brought up a funny one when Brady got tattooed.

It should start right at that play.. but if not, 3:08:37.

8 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

The video was just mesmerizing. It's off topic, but thanks for the upload! Grace, speed, power, moves. I was a young boy during this time and half the games were blacked out. Forgot how great he really was, crimes aside. Loved the humility of that era too when scoring a touchdown. Just flipped or handed ball to ref. 

The era of the running back may be over, but when you watch runs like this it really makes you miss it. No completion can hold a candle to a great run in terms of excitement.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Kelly diving in the end-zone against Miami

2. Mike Stratton hitting Keith Lincoln

3. Norwood kicking FG in OT to beat the Jets and clinch the AFC East. I was there on the field with SI photographer

4. Sam Adams return for a TD

The hit heard ‘round the world ...

9C52163D-CC99-4544-8DC6-0C9D9D1EEA56.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, McBean said:

Dalton to Boyd. 

No doubt it's number 1.

Took a 20 year dark cloud off this organization. I about cried.

I'll remember that moment forever. I tend to agree...that play is the most significant in Bills history. So is wide right and Beebe chasing down Lett. 

Here's to making a new greatest moment 💪

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Easy. 

The ‘Hit heard ‘round the World’. Mike Stratton’s rib crushing smackdown on Keith Lincoln in the ‘64 Title Game. We were a huge home underdog. The Chargers took the Opening kickoff and easily raced down field to a 7-0 lead. We weren’t in their League. They were the defending Champs and had played in 3 Championships already. Then..

it happened.

Certainly cant argue with that.. i would submit , upon reflection , that IS the ONE!

The rest, as they say, is History.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Beast said:

The blocked FG by Nate Odomes and return for a TD by Bennett against the Broncos in 1990. The Bills were dead in the water if that chip shot was made and would drop to 2-2.

That play launched the Super Bowl Bills, IMO.

that is mine. The single most defining moment in getting the Bills to a perennial super bowl team. 

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

CJ Spiller's run right for a 1 yard gain.

you mean, the first play of every Bills game for 4 years?

13 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

The Roland Hooks play was a classic example of me giving up on a game too early. I got frustrated listening on the radio thinking they had the lost game and seriously damaged their playoff chances. Decided to go for a walk down Abbott Rd since I lived in Blasdell back then. All these cars were driving by after the game from stadium honking their horns and people yelling out the windows "Bills number 1!" I had no idea why until I got home and found out they pulled off a great comeback. That game wasn't a sellout so it wasn't on local TV if I remember correctly.

That was my first Bills game ever! Was with my father and I think I was 10, I wanted to leave cuz we were loosing! Haha He said we aren’t leaving, I paid for the tickets and we are watching till the end!! Boy I tell ya what, I don’t ever leave a game early now, no matter the score or sport as you just never know!!