Gameday Thread PreGame Week 8 Bills vs Patriots

Chandler#81

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks like bills loaded up at DT today 

I am expecting some 5-2-4 defenses today.  

Spread out the d-line and play some coverage.  Get the ends outside to keep Cam in the pocket and pressure up the middle.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

Why is AJ inactive?  Not a fan of this unless he’s hurt.  He’s showing improvement the past few games 

because most likely they expect the Patriots to go 22 personnel a ton this game and will try to run all day.

So they sat a smaller DE for a bigger DT.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s not a good look when your hope for the Bills’ 2nd round pass rusher is a solid rotational player- someday...there were plenty of other prospects on the board that could have been starting right now...what a waste...

Dude... I didn’t like that pick either, but are you really insinuating that the book on AJE’s career is written at this point?

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I was actually looking forward to Epenesa playing today too. Thought he could do some damage 

I think they want veterans to contain and pressure from the middle.  

AJ could potentially get tricked and drawn inside leaving room for Cam to the edge.

This would have been a great Shaq game from last year.  Hold the edge and fall on the QB when they move late.

14 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s not a good look when your hope for the Bills’ 2nd round pass rusher is a solid rotational player- someday...there were plenty of other prospects on the board that could have been starting right now...what a waste...

I think this is a short sighted thought process for a game we are more concerned about RBs and Cam running the ball than passing and pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Dude... I didn’t like that pick either, but are you really insinuating that the book on AJE’s career is written at this point?

Of course not...but you have to admit that a player that many thought could go in the 1st round and can’t even get on the field is a little disappointing and worrisome, to say the least...especially when we don’t exactly  have any world beaters at the position...

Edited by JaCrispy

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Both rookie TEs out for NE*.  That leaves Izzo and probably the PS call up TE Rashod Berry.

Rashod Berry played DE last year at Ohio state. I’m not saying he can’t play TE. But he really couldn’t get on the field at that position consistently

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Of course not...but you have to admit that a player that many thought could go in the 1st round can’t even get in the field is a little disappointing and worrisome, to say the least...especially when we don’t have any world beaters at the position...

Nah. Sometimes rookies take time, and considering that he basically had no offseason work exacerbates it.

And for the record I had him as a mid day 2 pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm thinking that's why Murphy is active, but that Epenesa is inactive because they wanted an extra DT (assuming that's how they view Bryant)

Edit: to me it's almost like Beane is continually challenging McDermott and Frazier "you sure you ain't got that 1TDT you need on the roster already?  you sure?"

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering but I can't recall so many PS elevations on DL.

This year is so unique in so many ways.

I think they will use this DLine a bit different.  They have some hybrid DE/DT to play outside g/t gaps, put DEs outside the tackle, LBs and safety inside to cover gaps.  Play a stacked defense with 8-9 guys near the line filling gaps.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think he did mean this year but he seemed so excited about him in general 

Yeah, expectations like that are ridiculous.

I was not expecting an instant impact from Epenesa this season. I think that the more he plays, the better he will get.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this is a short sighted thought process for a game we are more concerned about RBs and Cam running the ball than passing and pass rush.

We can spin it any way we want...fact still remains that as a top pick he is not considered good enough to dress..

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Dean Marlowe isn’t Hyde, but he’s not that steep of a drop off.

I think that drop-off may be steeper than it appears. 

More to the point we have scant evidence either way.  Since joining the Bills, except for the "sit the starters" Jets game last fall, you have to go back to Sept 18 2018 to find a game where Hyde didn't play >93% of the defensive snaps and usually 97%. 

As they say "He a dawg"

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

because most likely they expect the Patriots to go 22 personnel a ton this game and will try to run all day.

So they sat a smaller DE for a bigger DT.

I think you're right on the Patriots but that's not why, directly

They expect to play Murphy at DE, but that's not why they sat Epenesa.

They're low on DTs - Butler is out, Jefferson is injured - I think the extra DT is for that reason and Epenesa happened to be the guy they judged they were most likely to do without

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think they want veterans to contain and pressure from the middle.  

AJ could potentially get tricked and drawn inside leaving room for Cam to the edge.

This would have been a great Shaq game from last year.  Hold the edge and fall on the QB when they move late.

Shaq was fantastic against mobile quarterbacks 

The Patriots have "no WRs" and literally only one TE active. Cam Newton sucks, and the weather is terrible. The Bills need to stack the box like no one's ever stacked a box.

And on offense, forget the weather. Don't let it be an equalizer when the opponent is overmatched. Come out four wide just like always and go after them. This is why you drafted Josh Allen, for weather like this.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

A top pick from the middle of the 2nd round.

He's also not what we need for this game. He's a pass rushing gap shooter, in a week when we badly, BADLY need someone who can fill holes. He's great for most modern NFL offenses, but the Pats are going for bully ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

A top pick from the middle of the 2nd round.

But how many 2nd round picks are not even dressing? I could understand if we were stacked at the position, but we’re not...that’s all I’m sayin’

Edited by JaCrispy