Why this game against the Patriots is NOWHERE NEAR monumental

StHustle

9 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't feel this to be a big deal either way with regard to Brady. If he had stayed and we beat them and went on to win the division that would not wipe out the years of dominance and endless string of losses the Bills endured throughout his career.

So Brady finishing his career with the Pats having won the division EVERY freaking year he played there (IR year not counting) isnt much worse than if we at least won once??? I disagree. Getting shut out is way freaking worse.

Its like saying losing 24 - 0 is the same as losing 20 - 0. That goose egg is much worse imo than at least winning once. Going 0-4 in the superbowl is much worse than if we went 1-4. 

So no, taking the division from Brady only once doesn't wipe away years of dominance. If you read my OP you'd know I agree with that. HOWEVER, beating him at least once is better than letting this man ride off into the sunset having pitched a career shutout against us.

All games are almost equally important, with divisional games and conference games just slightly more so. And yes, non-conference games are also very important.

It is a sport with only 16 games. Nobody can claim one game isn't important unless you have already clinched a 1st round bye in the playoffs or can't possibly improve your playoff standing.

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So Brady finishing his career with the Pats having won the division EVERY freaking year he played there (IR year not counting) isnt much worse than if we at least won once??? I disagree. Getting shut out is way freaking worse.

Its like saying losing 24 - 0 is the same as losing 20 - 0. That goose egg is much worse imo than at least winning once. Going 0-4 in the superbowl is much worse than if we went 1-4. 

So no, taking the division from Brady only once doesn't wipe away years of dominance. If you read my OP you'd know I agree with that. HOWEVER, beating him at least once is better than letting this man ride off into the sunset having pitched a career shutout against us.

I don't get it. The Bills DID beat Brady a few times. Or are you saying specifically McDermott's Bills?

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Yeah, one win against him in his old age would make all the difference. Some of us are long over obsessing on Brady, some, alas, will never get over it. Sure, its better to finish a season 1-15 than 0-16 but fact is you are still a loser either way. I'm looking forward, not back. I want to beat Pat M. and Lamar Jackson rather than turning back the clock to battles long since fought and, mostly, lost. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

All games are almost equally important, with divisional games and conference games just slightly more so. And yes, non-conference games are also very important.

It is a sport with only 16 games. Nobody can claim one game isn't important unless you have already clinched a 1st round bye in the playoffs or can't possibly improve your playoff standing.

I don't get it. The Bills DID beat Brady a few times. Or are you saying specifically McDermott's Bills?

Im talking specifically sweeping them or winning the division. We had almost 20 seasons to do it and couldnt get it done. Not once. OUCH

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Yeah, one win against him in his old age would make all the difference. Some of us are long over obsessing on Brady, some, alas, will never get over it. Sure, its better to finish a season 1-15 than 0-16 but fact is you are still a loser either way. I'm looking forward, not back. I want to beat Pat M. and Lamar Jackson rather than turning back the clock to battles long since fought and, mostly, lost. 

Maybe you didnt read the OP cause it was too long but you and many others are missing my point. The 2020 Pats might as well be a whole nother team. Beating them has nothing to do with our failure against the Brady/Bill combo. It doesnt make it better. Some people will celebrate it as if we cleared some hurdle. Part of moving forward is letting go of the Pats obsession. I think we are both saying the same thing.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

So, what would you like the current Bills team to do about it now? They can't do anything. Literally. I don't get why you are upset about something that you have no control over and the Bills have no control over.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Stop living in the past.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So, what would you like the current Bills team to do about it now? They can't do anything. Literally. I don't get why you are upset about something that you have no control over and the Bills have no control over.

Geez my point is simply that beating today's Pats means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH towards rectifying anything. We are now the favorites. Its not the same Bills vs Pats matchup that we would pray to win for the last two decades. Yet I see most fans viewing this game as they have in the past. Is my point so hard to understand? Once we win you'll see what I mean. A lot of over celebrating like we slayed the dragon. NO. The dragon has already died of old age. Its a new era in which I think the Dolphins will be our toughest division foe for years to come.

7 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Geez my point is simply that beating today's Pats means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH towards rectifying anything. We are now the favorites. Its not the same Bills vs Pats matchup that we would pray to win for the last two decades. Yet I see most fans viewing this game as they have in the past. Is my point so hard to understand? Once we win you'll see what I mean. A lot of over celebrating like we slayed the dragon. NO. The dragon has already died of old age. Its a new era in which I think the Dolphins will be our toughest division foe for years to come.

Geez what? I mean if you think this game means... "ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH" I guess there isn't much to tell you. What fans are you talking about? This game is still an important and much needed win. It's a needed division win. The opportunity to "slay the dragon' has obviously passed. We missed that boat many many years ago. MOVE ON. 

Guess what, the Bills still need this win.

Monumental ? Nah.

But, a MUST, critically important Divisional Game? 
ABSOLUTELY!

After playing a Tire Fire for a generation, especially against the Cheatriots, it’s fun time to wax them! But like many here, I don’t care if they’ve shrunk to Little Sisters status- which they haven’t!

Winning this one means a 3 game cushion for the all important AFC-E title! Lose and you’re in trouble, as NE has the easier sked running out. And perhaps, the Fish.

Just win Baby!

They had plenty of chances to beat Brady and the Pats. They did it once or twice, right? I mean, I'm good with that because I reached my "Brady whoops the Bills" quota about 14 years ago so, I'm aboot done with all that. 

Times be changing, Pats on the downswing, Bills got their chance to go on top, gotta take advantage. 2-4 or not, Belichick will have this team ready. Hope it's a good one. As in...I hope Josh and the Boys rack up 35 first half points and blow 'em out of the water. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Geez what? I mean if you think this game means... "ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH" I guess there isn't much to tell you. What fans are you talking about? This game is still an important and much needed win. It's a needed division win. The opportunity to "slay the dragon' has obviously passed. We missed that boat many many years ago. MOVE ON. 

Guess what, the Bills still need this win.

Did you read my OP? I already stated what the win means. I know its important for us to win. My whole point is that many fans are putting an extra importance on this game that they shouldn't. And I thoroughly explained why. You say MOVE ON which is the exact same thing I'm saying. Move on and see the Patriots for what they are in this post Brady era. Just another divisional foe. Not some giant we need to slay. 

16 hours ago, eball said:

This and the “daddy issues” post sound like attempts to preemptively soothe some souls if the Bills lose Sunday.

Make no mistake about it — W/L records don’t matter in this one and it is the biggest game of McD’s coaching tenure.

I’d say last years wild card game vs Houston was a way bigger game. Wild card game vs Jax was too id imagine if you asked McDermott to rank games coached so far. 

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

You know what... this game is MONUMENTAL!

MUST WIN!

This ^^^ 

And I’m sure McD doesn’t want to go 0-7 against BB 

it’s a HUGE game ( for us ) no matter how you slice it !! 

Edited by Putin

🤦‍♂️

I admire the OPs gusto. But..

this game is HUUUGELY monumental. Post-game, should we win, we’ll find ourselves in complete control of the AFCE at just the midway point of the season. You have to go back 32 years to ‘88 for comparison (clinched the Division in week 11). Yes, it’s vs the Brady-less Patriots*, but they’ve OWNED the Division and -for the most part- the LEAGUE throughout this century. 

Drive the silver dagger into their ghoulish hearts and retrieve the sword from the stone!

Slay the dragon! GET IT DONE!

6 hours ago, Billznut said:

I’d say last years wild card game vs Houston was a way bigger game. Wild card game vs Jax was too id imagine if you asked McDermott to rank games coached so far. 

No, you’re completely missing the point.  Sure, those were “big” games, but the next step for this franchise is winning the East and getting the Pats*** monkey off their backs.  I understand why fans don’t want to throw all of their Bills eggs into one basket, but this is the most important game for Buffalo in a very long time.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

No, you’re completely missing the point.  Sure, those were “big” games, but the next step for this franchise is winning the East and getting the Pats*** monkey off their backs.  I understand why fans don’t want to throw all of their Bills eggs into one basket, but this is the most important game for Buffalo in a very long time.

It would be a terrible loss for a # of reasons.  The fact that it is the Patriots definitely is at the top of the list.

After three meh (or worse) performances in a row, trhe Bills do nee to assert themselves and just so happens it is New England (and the associated baggage). 

It’s a big game.

With no Edelman now, you have to believe the Patriots are going to try and ram the ball down the Bills throats.

And if the game plan is to do the exact opposite, this Bills defense can’t allow Jacoby Meyers as the #1 WR to burn them. 

6-2 before another tough stretch of games is all that matters.

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤦‍♂️

I admire the OPs gusto. But..

this game is HUUUGELY monumental. Post-game, should we win, we’ll find ourselves in complete control of the AFCE at just the midway point of the season. You have to go back 32 years to ‘88 for comparison (clinched the Division in week 11). Yes, it’s vs the Brady-less Patriots*, but they’ve OWNED the Division and -for the most part- the LEAGUE throughout this century. 

Drive the silver dagger into their ghoulish hearts and retrieve the sword from the stone!

Slay the dragon! GET IT DONE!

The game must have been important enough for OP to start a thread just to tell us its not. Lol

I think losing this game could be monumental with the Seahawks and Cardinals coming up on the schedule IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

The game must have been important enough for OP to start a thread just to tell us its not. Lol

With the Bills schedule I think losing this game could be monumental that could start off a 3 game losing skid IMO.

We -or any team for that matter- could go on a 3 game losing streak. Just ask the Patriots. But the schedule doesn’t scare me anymore. NE* is certainly beatable. Seattle epitomizes the 1 man Gang as everyone other than Wilson are mediocre at best and I’m not sold on Kylor as a long term threat -though we’ll see. Pittsburgh seems strong but I think they’re paper thin and already have injuries. 

Its one game at a time, but I like us achieving something very special this year, Covid notwithstanding..🤞

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We -or any team for that matter- could go on a 3 game losing streak. Just ask the Patriots. But the schedule doesn’t scare me anymore. NE* is certainly beatable. Seattle epitomizes the 1 man Gang as everyone other than Wilson are mediocre at best and I’m not sold on Kylor as a long term threat -though we’ll see. Pittsburgh seems strong but I think they’re paper thin and already have injuries. 

Its one game at a time, but I like us achieving something very special this year, Covid notwithstanding..🤞

Curious, Buffalo has not performed well vs playoff contenders this season or in McD's tenure here so far for that matter.

I'm a big homer, mind If I ask where all this confidence is coming from?

I could use some...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Curious, Buffalo has not performed well vs playoff contenders this season or in McD's tenure here so far for that matter.

I'm a big homer, mind If I ask where all this confidence is coming from?

I could use some...

What are the Rams? 5-2? Three wins vs teams .500 or better. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well beating the Pats will still mean we haven't beaten anyone.

I never suggested otherwise, 

Just wondering how a somewhat daunting remainder of the schedule IMO is looking so different to someone else.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer here ...

Edited by Figster

This game is absolutely monumental.  

We haven't won the AFC East in 20 years.  Our current regime is 0-6 against the Patriots.  

This is a team that dominated us for two decades.  Winning this game would rip the monkey off our backs, make us 6-2 at the halfway point, and put the Bills totally in the driver's seat for taking the division.  It would also give the Pats to a 2-5 record and drop them four games behind.  They immediately become a longshot for the playoffs.  And the once-mighty Patriots organization is forced to start planning for next year.  

On the flipside, losing Sunday would put the AFC East back in play.  It would not only give the Patriots life and hope for winning the division, but it would be a confidence destroyer for the Bills organization.  Previous Patriots teams were possibly vulnerable to an upset.  This Patriots team is inferior and has a bunch of players hurt.  If we can't pull it off this Sunday, the mental aspect is going to kick-in and this team is going to stop believing they CAN beat New England.  Not to mention, our upcoming schedule is brutal, and the chances of landing a Wild Card with less than 10 wins is not great. 

Bottom Line.... This Sunday has the potential to spark the turning point for both organizations.

WE ABSOLUTELY MUST WIN.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dolphins are .500 and kickin’ some azz. Remember, 2 additional teams get added this year. EVERYBODY is a playoff contender.

True that,

I'm afraid its only going to get worse with Tua,

There was allot of discussion pre draft on who was the best QB between Tua and Burrows. I like Burrows, but was always on what seemed to be a losing argument with Tua.

Time will tell...

On 10/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, Charles Romes said:

Right, The whole crowd chanting “it was Brady all along” after the Pats go 5-11 first year after the goat leaves. BB is not concerned about that at all. 

Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as a starter when Brady missed a year. He was the defensive coordinator for the Giants' historical upset win against the Bills in the Super Bowl. He had a successful coaching tenure with the Browns. His defenses are almost always top 5 in the league. He has 8 Super Bowl rings. No serious person is ever going to say that the Patriots' dominance was entirely due to Brady.

This year, he's missing a league-high 8 of his players due to Covid opt outs, is coaching a new QB, and lost that QB for a game already. There is about zero pressure on him to prove anything this year.

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dolphins are .500 and kickin’ some azz. Remember, 2 additional teams get added this year. EVERYBODY is a playoff contender.

The NFL only added one additional team.  There will be 7 playoff spots this year (three Wild Cards), rather than the usual 6.

You can pretty much assume that one WC spot will go to either the Steelers or Ravens, since only one can win the AFC North.

The Browns are already 5-2 and have a cakewalk schedule against the NFC East.  Hard to see them missing the playoffs this year.

That leaves one more WC spot.  And unfortunately, the AFC East is matched up against the best division in football (NFC West).  All four teams have significantly harder matchups than teams like the Colts or Raiders.  It would be pretty surprising if a WC team emerges from the AFC East this year.  It's likely either win the division or bust.

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

True that,

I'm afraid its only going to get worse with Tua,

There was allot of discussion pre draft on who was the best QB between Tua and Burrows. I like Burrows, but was always on what seemed to be a losing argument with Tua.

Time will tell...

Tua is a rookie, less than 12 months from a devastating injury that could have cost his career.

I wouldn't expect much from him this season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as a starter when Brady missed a year. He was the defensive coordinator for the Giants' historical upset win against the Bills in the Super Bowl. He had a successful coaching tenure with the Browns. His defenses are almost always top 5 in the league. He has 8 Super Bowl rings. No serious person is ever going to say that the Patriots' dominance was entirely due to Brady.

This year, he's missing a league-high 8 of his players due to Covid opt outs, is coaching a new QB, and lost that QB for a game already. There is about zero pressure on him to prove anything this year.

Perhaps this year maybe. 

Myself personally, having Brady has allowed B B to put most of his coaching skills to good work in the area he specializes in most IMO.

I think If you give Wade Phillips the same QB as HC he wins a championship for the same reason IMO.

58 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The NFL only added one additional team.  There will be 7 playoff spots this year (three Wild Cards), rather than the usual 6.

You can pretty much assume that one WC spot will go to either the Steelers or Ravens, since only one can win the AFC North.

The Browns are already 5-2 and have a cakewalk schedule against the NFC East.  Hard to see them missing the playoffs this year.

That leaves one more WC spot.  And unfortunately, the AFC East is matched up against the best division in football (NFC West).  All four teams have significantly harder matchups than teams like the Colts or Raiders.  It would be pretty surprising if a WC team emerges from the AFC East this year.  It's likely either win the division or bust.

Tua is a rookie, less than 12 months from a devastating injury that could have cost his career.

I wouldn't expect much from him this season.

My expectations are still high...( dark horse/ wildcard )

Edited by Figster

13 minutes ago, MPT said:

The 2020 NE* roster is NOT the 2008 NE* roster.  No Wes Welker and Ben Watson in their prime not to mention Randy Moss.

Pats* also played the AFC and NFC West Divisions (the 2 weakest divisions in football that year).

It's the main reason the AFCE had a great season that year.

I'm sorry (nothing to do with you) but I'm tired of hearing about this situation!

21 minutes ago, MPT said:

I disagree completely about ( zero pressure on BB to prove anything) 

He let Brady walk because he believes he can win without him ,  he didn’t bring in Cam Newton for a rebuild he brought him to win NOW .

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The 2020 NE* roster is NOT the 2008 NE* roster.  No Wes Welker and Ben Watson in their prime not to mention Randy Moss.

Pats* also played the AFC and NFC West Divisions (the 2 weakest divisions in football that year).

It's the main reason the AFCE had a great season that year.

I'm sorry (nothing to do with you) but I'm tired of hearing about this situation!

They went 10-6 the next year with Brady and the same roster. May have been more difficult opponents that year, but 11-5 in the NFL with a backup QB is an impressive feat regardless of the schedule. 

Are you suggesting that an easier schedule in 2008 is evidence that Belichick isn't a good coach without Brady?

8 minutes ago, MPT said:

They went 10-6 the next year with Brady and the same roster. May have been more difficult opponents that year, but 11-5 in the NFL with a backup QB is an impressive feat regardless of the schedule. 

Are you suggesting that an easier schedule in 2008 is evidence that Belichick isn't a good coach without Brady?

Not at all.  What I will state is the weak opponents allowed the AFCE to have an over performing record for all of it's teams that year.

Good grief, the AFCW Champions were the 8-8 San Diego Chargers.

Miami won the division at 11-5 with an aging gimp armed Chad Pennington.

All I am saying is this "BB can win with anyone at QB" is a little over blown and using the 2008 season does not prove anything.

What is BB record with a former MVP this year?

• Like (+1) 1