Per PFT - Multiple coaches want to cancel all games tomorrow, put a pause on season 😢

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

Then why is the Patriots/Chiefs game postponed? 

Sorry you weren’t’ paying attention to that.

Because of the time of testing and the travel restrictions to that situation. Everyone but cam tested negative, if that happens again tomorrow they’re playing Monday.

The Titans are the exception to the rule. The falcons are how things are supposed to be: test, trace, isolate, play. 

• Like (+1) 1

The most successful Sports League in history- woefully unprepared. Did they learn nada from the NBA/NHL experiment?

Waaaay more thinking and seclusion & isolation protocols were needed. The whole concept of dozens of “Home Teams” (without fans, thereby rendering them meaningless) was an absurdity to begin with!

Perhaps, teams should have been grouped into 4-6 bubbles, where all games  were played from Thursday - Monday. 

With all the resources teams are using to prevent players/staff from getting covid, why not go the other direction and intentionally expose them and be done with it like with chickenpox?

I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons to not, I’m just spitballing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I see a stoppage after this weeks games with a few weeks to quarantine and set up some sort of “bubble”.  Not sure how they can pull it off unless they use multiple stadiums and rotate teams thru.  Playing Thursday, Saturday 2 time slots (Would hurt college games), Sunday multiple time slots and Monday.  Be difficult as hell.

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Because of the time of testing and the travel restrictions to that situation. Everyone but cam tested negative, if that happens again tomorrow they’re playing Monday.

The Titans are the exception to the rule. The falcons are how things are supposed to be: test, trace, isolate, play. 

And, again, with what happened with the Patriots game, how can the Saints game be played today if a player tested positive yesterday?

Just now, Beast said:

And, again, with what happened with the Patriots game, how can the Saints game be played today if a player tested positive yesterday?

Becuase the team has already traveled. The issue with the patriots game was traveling before knowing if there were more positive tests. The Saints accidentally traveled with a positive (which is an 73% expecting to be a false positive) and now they can fall back on the other procedures. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Becuase the team has already traveled. The issue with the patriots game was traveling before knowing if there were more positive tests. The Saints accidentally traveled with a positive (which is an 73% expecting to be a false positive) and now they can fall back on the other procedures. 

But, from what I understand, and I could be wrong here......is that sometimes you may not test positive for up to 48 hours after exposure. Could multiple players be taking the field that are carriers?

Just now, Beast said:

But, from what I understand, and I could be wrong here......is that sometimes you may not test positive for up to 48 hours after exposure. Could multiple players be taking the field that are carriers?

Yes. In fact... You may not test positive for up to 5 days. It's a huge hole in the non-bubble protocol. Essentially, there is always risk, but if there is a positive in the team, it throws the whole thing into confusion and high concern.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree except the season being too long? 16 games for professional football is fine. College is 12 games. High school is 10. .

I disagree also on pausing it starting tomorrow as well. I think ya gotta play. They have those contract tracer bracelets, extended practice squad. The players age and physical shape give them way less than 1% chance to get seriously ill. 

It's the older coaches I'd be most worried about 

Yeah, the younger players have a lesser chance to get seriously ill.

Thought about the ones with pre-existing conditions, though? And as has been talked about at length, one of the pre-existing conditions is obesity and probably a majority of linemen meet that figure, and no there's no particular reason to think that very strong but obese people will do better than weak but obese people. It's possible. Equally, might be irrelevant.

Thought that these people have wives? Kids? Parents? Grand-parents and some maybe great-grandparents? Hairdressers, masseurs and masseuses, paper boys, grocery store cashiers and it just keeps on going and going.

It isn't OK to say that if a young person gets it (and very possibly spreads it) it's OK because he might not die.

I don't know what they should do, but I am absolutely positive that the argument that it's OK if they get COVID because they're young is a spectacularly bad one.

16 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The most successful Sports League in history- woefully unprepared. Did they learn nada from the NBA/NHL experiment?

Waaaay more thinking and seclusion & isolation protocols were needed. The whole concept of dozens of “Home Teams” (without fans, thereby rendering them meaningless) was an absurdity to begin with!

Perhaps, teams should have been grouped into 4-6 bubbles, where all games  were played from Thursday - Monday. 

Probably true, but the Players Association fought bubbles. They probably shouldn't have, but they did. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

With the Bills in Vegas, what are the chances they all behaved and stayed in their rooms?

Vegas is filled with nothing but riff raff right now.  Trash can on the street aren’t filled with trash.  They’re filled with people.  It’s disgusting 

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I really don’t know how it works in that regard...

going off what we’ve seen, if the players all test negative, they play. The biggest issue is knowing if they are negative with with enough time to make things happen. I could see the Saints game getting postponed, but I think at some point the league is going to have to look at two things: 

1- Transmission of this is a weird and unpredictable thing. People can share a bed and not get it but others can share a cab for ten minutes and get it. That being said, there’s only so much mitigation that can be done. 

2- the Vikings played a team that seemingly had several guys who would have been infectious... it didn’t hop to their team. That’s a really good sign, I think. 

My personal opinion is that they should treat a negative test from a player as a passport to play. Playing the “what if they were too close to this player who tested positive” feels like a rabbit hole. Short of a team wide outbreak, I think it’s possible to do things that way. 

( i also think they should make teams test Friday night and travel first thing Saturday morning) 

• Like (+1) 1

The retest of the saints player that tested positive came back:  negativE.

It’s been my thought from the beginning that if the NFL didn’t have some sort of bubble, that the season will fall apart eventually.  I think they should play this weeks games and reassess.  

of all seasons for this to happen.......fml

Edited by NewEra

7 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Let's face it.   We'd all be singing a different tune if Josh Allen tested positive for covid.  God, please don't let it happen.

I wouldn’t.  If Josh gets it, and let’s face it, he certainly could at some point... we play with Barkley for a week or two.   No special treatment.  

Bank wins to prepare for that.  

Probably all 0-3 and 1-2 teams lol.

That was literally my 1st thought!!

My bad!

Oh and Cam was only Patriot to test positive. 

Looks like  Titans are only team with multiple players infected , obviously still waiting on rest of Saints players results too but that's a great sign.

My first thought as well.

I think we should expect this to happen. 

Florio is a bit of a tool, but he’s become something of a test subject for NFL media. If you’ve noticed, he’ll often proffer a “suggestion” to the league that ends up either being implemented or at least discussed. My take is that someone from the league will feed him ideas that the NFL is considering, and he’ll post them as his suggestions.

It’s a Quid Pro Quo—the league gets to see the reaction from fans before they move forward, and Florio gets credit for coming up with a great idea for the league and the game.

As to the idea itself, I think a 2 week break makes sense. Gives the league enough time to restructure the schedule to 12 games, get teams bubbled and tested (and quarantined as necessary), and jump back into a schedule that adds 2 weeks of “make up games” in case outbreaks occur.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Florio is a bit of a tool, but he’s become something of a test subject for NFL media. If you’ve noticed, he’ll often proffer a “suggestion” to the league that ends up either being implemented or at least discussed. My take is that someone from the league will feed him ideas that the NFL is considering, and he’ll post them as his suggestions.

It’s a Quid Pro Quo—the league gets to see the reaction from fans before they move forward, and Florio gets credit for coming up with a great idea for the league and the game.

As to the idea itself, I think a 2 week break makes sense. Gives the league enough time to restructure the schedule to 12 games, get teams bubbled and tested (and quarantined as necessary), and jump back into a schedule that adds 2 weeks of “make up games” in case outbreaks occur.

I mean, he said they should cancel Free Agency an  the draft and said it was irresponsible and horrible not too.... I think he just likes clicks.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I really don’t know how it works in that regard...

going off what we’ve seen, if the players all test negative, they play. The biggest issue is knowing if they are negative with with enough time to make things happen. I could see the Saints game getting postponed, but I think at some point the league is going to have to look at two things: 

1- Transmission of this is a weird and unpredictable thing. People can share a bed and not get it but others can share a cab for ten minutes and get it. That being said, there’s only so much mitigation that can be done. 

2- the Vikings played a team that seemingly had several guys who would have been infectious... it didn’t hop to their team. That’s a really good sign, I think. 

My personal opinion is that they should treat a negative test from a player as a passport to play. Playing the “what if they were too close to this player who tested positive” feels like a rabbit hole. Short of a team wide outbreak, I think it’s possible to do things that way. 

( i also think they should make teams test Friday night and travel first thing Saturday morning) 

I agree with a lot of that.

I also just saw the Saints player was a false positive so that is good news as well.

I think the next two to three weeks will be interesting to say the least.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Mike Florio also has a penchant for cheering on and almost promoting worst case scenarios. Whenever it comes to potential roadblocks for the NFL whether it be legal, coronavirus, protests, liability issues, concussions.......Florio always seems to be rooting for or at the very least promoting chaos.  Maybe its the lawyer in him, but the man is always "glass half empty" pontificating on his daily show.  He could be hearing this but, damn, I hope this doesn't happen.

MLB (without a bubble)

NHL (bubble)

NBA (bubble)

Were all able to manage through their respective seasons without having to temporarily suspend the entire league.  With much more money on the table and just general importance to the nation's psyche I see no reason the NFL can't persevere through these uncharted waters.

NHL and NBA played tournaments in a "bubble". They didn't attempt a full regular season. MLB had problems with Marlins and Cardinals . Both teams didn't play for 2 weeks. 

Just now, Beast said:

I agree with a lot of that.

I also just saw the Saints player was a false positive so that is good news as well.

I think the next two to three weeks will be interesting to say the least.

False positive in the Saints, no other positives in Chiefs- Pats, titans game rescheduled easily...

If anything, week four is shaping up to be a statement that the battle plan can survive enemy contact. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The retest of the saints player that tested positive came back:  negativE.

It’s been my thought from the beginning that if the NFL didn’t have some sort of bubble, that the season will fall apart eventually.  I think they should play this weeks games and reassess.  

of all seasons for this to happen.......fml

I believe they will get this season in. All 16 games. I just think it may take a little longer than originally planned.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I could see them putting a pause on the season just for a couple weeks, but I don’t see a need to shorten it though. Just extend it through February. The NFL offseason is too damn long anyways 

This has been discussed a bunch. Moving the super bowl is incredibly difficult given sponsors, hotels, security, etc. 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

With the Saints re-test negative, we’re back to one outbreak on the Titans, and then one positive on the Falcons last week that was successfully contained, now one positive on the Pats and one on the Chiefs.  

If the Chiefs and Pats follow protocol and successfully contain it, I’d say the Titans are the outlier and the NFL protocols are working....if not, then I’d expect harsh reinforcement of protocols/penalties this week.... should more teams experience issues, then perhaps the league pauses to reassess, but that’s such a bad look for the league.  ....especially when no other league would have had to do that upon restart and we’re all watching CFB during the pause.  

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I wonder how many of those coaches are winless or 1-2? 

A shorter season hurts the teams who started poorly more than the ones who started well, as it gives trailing contenders less time to catch up.  Also less game experience for young players/backups on tanking or rebuilding teams.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With the Saints re-test negative, we’re back to one outbreak on the Titans, and then one positive on the Falcons last week that was successfully contained, now one positive on the Pats and one on the Chiefs.  

If the Chiefs and Pats follow protocol and successfully contain it, I’d say the Titans are the outlier and the NFL protocols are working....if not, then I’d expect harsh reinforcement of protocols/penalties this week.... should more teams experience issues, then perhaps the league pauses to reassess, but that’s such a bad look for the league.  ....especially when no other league would have had to do that upon restart and we’re all watching CFB during the pause.  

Agree with this. And it’s people failing, not the protocols. Just look at the mask issue, coaches can’t even keep their masks on when told to. So, who knows what’s going on during training but I think it’s obvious Titans fudged this.

I just woke up to use the bathroom. smoked a cigarette, and I see this tweet .. I can't fall back asleep.  The Bills have been a major source of happiness for years but especially in this surreal year of 2020. 

God I hope the NFL goes a different route. 

Oh and Don't kill the messenger!

I would be fine with extending the season or even shortening it by a few games.  Do whatever you have to do to protect players first and then have a season, second 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Agree with this. And it’s people failing, not the protocols. Just look at the mask issue, coaches can’t even keep their masks on when told to. So, who knows what’s going on during training but I think it’s obvious Titans fudged this.

Meanwhile, Gruden says he is proud of how his team has handled protocols, right after 10 of his players attend an illegally crowded event with no Covid screening, no masks or social distancing, and shaking hands with the public.  You'd think a guy who had the virus himself would be a bit more serious about it.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

A shorter season hurts the teams who started poorly more than the ones who started well, as it gives trailing contenders less time to catch up.  Also less game experience for young players/backups on tanking or rebuilding teams.

I think it would hurt the Bills a little though, because 2 of the 4 games which would be removed from their schedule would be against the Dolphins and Jets...

Edited by loedward22
typo

NFL needs to play as many games they can.  Bills game next week will be canceled - writing is on the wall.  If no cases on Bills/Raiders - need to play.  They should also rework our schedule next week for some other clean opponent (assuming we're still clean).  Keep as many games going as you can (we'll likely have our outbreak at some point and need a week or two off at that point).

Also, NFL needs to prioritize division games, then conference games over cross conference games.

Schedule/logistics nightmare....glad im not doing it - but we have to keep pressing forward as best we can.