Even Seen a Bear? (Take 2)

No, but the closest ones reputed yo my house were reported at the Burchfield Nature Center at Union and  Clinton in West Seneca and  beyond the West Seneca garage on Union Road.  A young one was hit by a car on the 190 near the Hamburg St off tamp once.

On vacation in Valdez, Alaska and Jasper, Alberta. Both times from a safe distance whilst we watched knuckleheads who were at an unsafe distance.

Jasper was just a single bear crossing the road, Valdez was multiple bears, including a mother and cubs chowing down on salmon. Good times.

Mt.Baldy @ Philmont, New Mexico...Strolled right under our dining fly while we were eating breakfast. The smallish bear ate our Pop-Tarts and SwissMiss, powdered milk, all the good stuff, in some brush about 10 meters after we ran it off. Left us only dry granola until we could get to a staffed camp and reprovison a few days later.  That SOB! Got pix on my Kodak DiscCamera that should be digitized.

Mt.Marcy, New York.  Ranger warned us to hang our bear bag extra high and extra strong with the knot going along multiple trees because "Cliff" the bear was very adapt at getting people's ***** and would follow the line to the knot. I stood on another's shoulders when we strung the line to tie the knot.  That night we had a lean-too campsite.   We thought one guy was ***** -ing around when he said he heard something... Grabbed a flashlight and there was Cliff the black bear on his hand legs swinging at the knot multiple trees down from the bag.  We chased him off with anything we could make noise with.  That morning down by stream  we heard other backpackers clanking pots and pans.  I had to be indisposed that morning,  went up over a swale to dig a cat hole and bingo, there was Cliff's cache!!! From other hikers!!! All the good stuff, Front Loops, Tang and cocoa, etc...!  Hope that SOB didn't mind me shitting in his kitchen! 😆 

2 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

Yes. Numerous times in Adirondacks and Allegany s.p.

My wife as child would always take their week family vacations at Long Lake, she said the highlight of the week was to go to the open dump and watch the bears  eat.  Now,  there are closed transfer stations.  Thanks for wrecking the family 👪 moment environmentalists!  People would watch and when bears started to get close, the people would frantically back up.   Good wholesome AND CHEAP mid-week activity: "Let's go watch the bears eat at the open dump!  Everyone into the car!" Better than any zoo on planet!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Multiple times here in WV.  The most memorable was a bear came out of the woods and waddled

across the fairway as we were ready to tee off on number one.  Yes, we let him play through.

Alas in the county where I live some knotheads are feeding the bears and they are losing

their fear of humans.  Naturally they will come back to where the food is and go to other houses 

other than the peeps who feed them.

12 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Multiple times here in WV.  The most memorable was a bear came out of the woods and waddled

across the fairway as we were ready to tee off on number one.  Yes, we let him play through.

Alas in the county where I live some knotheads are feeding the bears and they are losing

their fear of humans.  Naturally they will come back to where the food is and go to other houses 

other than the peeps who feed them.

Bing back open town dumps.  Problem solved  like the first 150 years of our country. They never used to come into town,  do damage.  They had a place to go.  LoL...

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife as child would always take their week family vacations at Long Lake, she said the highlight of the week was to go to the open dump and watch the bears  eat.  Now,  there are closed transfer stations.  Thanks for wrecking the family 👪 moment environmentalists!  People would watch and when bears started to get close, the people would frantically back up.   Good wholesome AND CHEAP mid-week activity: "Let's go watch the bears eat at the open dump!  Everyone into the car!" Better than any zoo on planet!

We used to do the same thing in old forge

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Yes, climbed right into a dumpster in Allegany State Park at the campgrounds with cabins. Proceeded to pig out and roll around in the trash and throw things out of the dumpster, looked as happy as a pig in ****, it was glorious!

So............you saw the bear from inside the dumpster? Good place to hide!  Just close the cover if he gets too close! 

:)

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear"

• Haha (+1) 1

There is a bear in the woods.

For some people, the bear is easy to see.

Others don't see it at all.

Some people say the bear is tame.

Others say it's vicious and dangerous.

Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the bear?

If there is a bear.