Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

A

You guys are easy graders. Josh's stats look great and we scored 30 points but there were still a lot of iffy throws, some of which killed drives and some of which we got a little lucky. I thought for sure that dropped INT on our five yard line was going to be a pick six.

Lots of big time throws though, and his connection with Diggs is proving to be a game changer. We have a passing offense! Yay!

Edited by VW82
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

I think it was the very next play. You could see Allen motioning to go up the field and talking to Brown in the huddle. Reading lips I think it was something like "Smoke baby, you're supposed to go after that first move. Try it again, it'll totally work!" *

* I may be taking liberties with the interpretation

Although to be fair, it looked like Brown was right on that first one. He ran into the space and Allen threw him back towards the DB.

A+ 

Plus how about this nugget for extra credit.

After Miami took a 3 point lead with 10 minutes left in the 4th after the Bills depleted D got demoralized for the 3rd straight drive. Allen says, I GOT THIS! Goes 6/8 for 145 yards and 2 TDs to ice the game. 

Drive home safely.

• Thank you (+1) 2

The biggest take away from today honestly has been the clear improvement and strides JA has made since his rookie year. Everyone wants that instant Hall of Fame QB - we have a Good QB that is working his way up to being Dam Good. I just hope he continues to improve and that we don't let our first lose (whenever that is) bring us down.

Is JA perfect? No, clearly. He's also not Rodgers, or Mahomes. But I've got to tell you - with his current ability, lets just simplify it to something like 65-70% comp for a season - I truly believe we would be SB contenders with that alone and the team around him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

A-

You guys are easy graders. Josh's stats look great and we scored 30 points but there were still a lot of iffy throws, some of which killed drives and some of which we got a little lucky. I thought for sure that dropped INT on our five yard line was going to be a pick six.

Lots of big time throws though, and his connection with Diggs is proving to be a game changer. We have a passing offense! Yay!

This is so lame. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

His physical gifts have been apparent to everyone (even those who don't like Allen). But his ability to accept coaching and to improve is seriously impressive.

This is the key, I think. Other quarterbacks have had equally impressive physical gifts--think of JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf, for instance--but rarely do you see one with these kind of gifts AND a burning desire to improve, together with humility and intelligence. Quite a package! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

24/35 completion - 417 yards, 4 TDs - O INT 0 fumbles - 18 yards rushing

I will keep this one simple and to the point. I am 38 years old and this is the best performance by a Bills QB that I can remember. Here are some stand out moments to me:

1) His 16 yard rush where he actually slid to protect himself. I was so happy I even texted my buddy about it.

2) The missed TD throw late to Brown, it seemed he got on the same page with him and found it a few plays later.

3) For once, our offense took on the task of winning the game for us. It was always the defense bailing us out, but perhaps we finally got to the level where we can relieve some pressure from our defense and win a shoot out.

4) "Squeaky wheel" management - I doubt our team culture has/will have an issue but I liked how he distributed the ball to our WRs:

- Diggs - 8 catches 153 yards TD

- Smoke - 4 catches 82 yards TD

- Beez - 5 catches 70 yards

My main question after this game: will the national narrative change on Josh Allen? Will he finally get the credit he deserves?

GO BILLS!

**fun fact: Josh Allen is the first player in Bills history with 400 passing yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs in a game!

there were announcers in the Pitt/den game calling him the most improved player in the league during the game. 

it took all of 7 quarters for the media to embrace him once he stepped up (for all the media hates us people)

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

A-

Bro, I’m probably one of the toughest critics of Allen’s on this board, imo...His QB rating was nearly perfect at 146, in addition to a 4th qtr comeback...it doesn’t really get any better than that...I don’t think I’ve ever given an A grade to Allen (I gave a B+ last week)...but this game is an A+ hands down...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

there were announcers in the Pitt/den game calling him the most improved player in the league during the game. 

it took all of 7 quarters for the media to embrace him once he stepped up (for all the media hates us people)

The point is he’s not just one of the most improved. He’s putting up the best numbers period. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Bro, I’m probably one of the toughest critics of Allen’s on this board, imo...His QB rating was nearly perfect at 146, in addition to a 4th qtr comeback...it doesn’t really get any better than that...I don’t think I’ve ever given an A grade to Allen (I gave a B+ last week)...but this game is an A+ hands down...

Yeah; you said accuracy can't be taught.   At least give you credit for being here unlike your brethren @C.Biscuit97, @Nextmanup, @BigDingus, @Mango, etc

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yeah maybe I was being a little hard on him. I changed it to an A. I think once the all 22 comes out we're going to see that he missed some stuff he probably shouldn't have and got away with some stuff he probably shouldn't have. We'll see. I might be wrong. 

He definitely made a lot of huge throws today and once again he came through down the stretch. Lots and lots to like. 

Edited by VW82

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You are tough on Allen but you're no ScottLaw. 😄

• Haha (+1) 1