Does the loss of 'Star' and Jordan Phillips make us vunerable up the middle?

LB48

We don't have that big man in the middle that can plug gaps and take on double teams.  Star was responsible for that but under appreciated by Bills fans.  He made it easier for the rest of the DL to make plays by plugging up the middle.  Jordan Phillips may have made too much noise for the coaches but he could pressure on the QB and disrupt the opponents defense.

At 325 lbs and with agility he was a force.

Now the Bills are bringing in FA & undrafted DT 's looking for someone to do the same job.  It's an obvious concern for the coaches with just 2 weeks before the season begins..

Maybe a draft choice trade to get the big DT to Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1

well our interior was gashed a few times last season, most notably the Eagles game and the game against the Skins I had the binocs on them as AP ran wild again, including carrying Levi like a bag of groceries when Wallace tried to tackle him up-high in the backfield...sure the DL has to absorb the OL but LBs need to make the right reads as well and the quickness this all happens thru binocs is something to behold...to me the reads of the LBs is just as important as the interior DL play.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LB48 said:

We don't have that big man in the middle that can plug gaps and take on double teams.  Star was responsible for that but under appreciated by Bills fans.  He made it easier for the rest of the DL to make plays by plugging up the middle.  Jordan Phillips may have made too much noise for the coaches but he could pressure on the QB and disrupt the opponents defense.

Now the Bills are bringing in FA & undrafted DT 's looking for someone to do the same job.  It's an obvious concern for the coaches with just 2 weeks before the season begins..

When Star was here we had a big man that couldn’t demand double teams or plug holes so how does losing him hurt us?  I’m serious.  He’s not under appreciated here because he’s been below average at his job while being way overpaid.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

Jordan Phillips was overrated IMHO. He did a good job, but many of his sacks came where he was unblocked. They were inflated. He's an OK run-stopper, but nothing someone else can't do. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think we've done more than enough to replace what we lost. Oliver, Butler, getting Harry back, Jefferson, and Taylor will be just fine. They will also be moving Epenesa all over the line. Another year in the system and an offseason of growth from both Edmunds and Milano will help as well. I think we will be better tbh. 

• Like (+1) 2

Vernon Butler  331 lbs.

Harrison Phillips. 307lbs.

Quinten Jefferson. 291 lbs.

Ed Oliver. 287 lbs.

Star Lotulelei 315 lbs.
Jordan Phillips. 340 lbs.

That took all of three minutes on google LB48.  The projected current four are no shrinking violets, and as Chandler said, probably to start a thread on these four and what are their strengths or in you’re case weaknesses.  I haven’t read anything on training camp the DT’s doing a terrible job handling the run.  It doesn’t bother me LB, but it’s kind of like Tyson would best Ali both in their prime.  It’s a non starter as there is no way to know.  Just remember in today’s football, it’s not all about weight that wins the battle.  What we do have is four guys with high motors and have a track record or are growing into excellent interior penetration abilities.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Phillips wasn’t a run stopping DT. He won’t be missed in the run defense. 

Yeah, I’ll go one step further; he was a liability for the run defense.  Addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LB48 said:

Jordan Phillips could bring pressure on the QB and disrupt the opponents D, but it came at a price: there were games where we got gashed big time where he was too quick to penetrate and left us vulnerable to the run.

Star could be a force, but he also sometimes took plays off and teams could play around him.

I don't think the Bills are bringing in FAs because they're looking for a starter.  I think they're looking for improved depth.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LB48 said:

you mention two drastically different players and then filling it as a singular hole. 

i think we have enough penetrating with Oliver and some big bodies that can kick inside. With an injury it could be rough.

the stout run stuffer is easier to fill. And I don’t think Starr was GREAT at it. 

I would not trade a pick for a premium DT knowing it’s not a long term need with us stuck with Starr’s return and contract tolling. If there’s a decent guy that can be had on a 1 year deal at low price, I guess go for it (ala the raiders dolphins trade this week)

Maybe, but not anymore likely than we have been. I constantly read conflicting opinions on run stuffing about both Star and Phillips, so they are probably average or above in that task. So again not anymore likely than we have been. 

Go Bills!!!