The Batman trailer

Mark Vader

10/1/21

In case no one has seen this. Here is our next incarnation of the caped crusader.

Directed by Matt Reeves(Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, War of the Planet of the Apes)

Thoughts?

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I had no idea about this movie.  It was originally Ben Affleck's idea and he was to write, produce, direct and star.  Then he stepped down from writing, producing and directing so he could focus on being Batman.  Then his successor decided to focus on a younger Batman and Affleck eventually left altogeither.

OUCH!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Batman_(film)

Matt Reeves is this movie's greatest hope.  Colin Farrell is an interesting add, I like him.

Is it just me or does Pattinson's Bruce Wayne seem more "brooding recluse" than "billionaire playboy?"  Pattinson takes his acting very seriously now and the Twilight franchise attachment doesn't turn me away.

From what I understand, in the Batman timeline this movie starts before a lot of the characters are cemented - Selina doesn't have her "Catwoman" gear, there isn't really a "Riddler" moniker yet.  I'm interested.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Matt Reeves is this movie's greatest hope.  Colin Farrell is an interesting add, I like him.

Is it just me or does Pattinson's Bruce Wayne seem more "brooding recluse" than "billionaire playboy?"  Pattinson takes his acting very seriously now and the Twilight franchise attachment doesn't turn me away.

From what I understand, in the Batman timeline this movie starts before a lot of the characters are cemented - Selina doesn't have her "Catwoman" gear, there isn't really a "Riddler" moniker yet.  I'm interested.

I mean we didn't really to get to see much of "Bruce" the only part he was in it he was switching back to Batman to knock someone out of the way.

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Don't care about another Batman. Though I heard they are making some crazy one where a couple of old Batman's would appear. 

Yes, they are bringing back Michael Keaton's version and Ben Affleck's version for the Flash movie.

That one sounds interesting.  

So will it be 2-2.5 years down the road that Hollywood will decide that Batman has not been perfected hence another series for the Caped Crusader?  Honestly, the best Batman was the 1960's version with the movie being a letdown compared to the then just finished Season 1.  This is the only way the franchise works in my mind.  The stakes are usually small (they had billions of dollars in 1966 but the villains played for a few million normally) and even this Batman was somewhat obscure to the rank and file police and residents of Gotham City.  Note the episodes where Batman is lectured by a cop for poor custody of the Batmobile.  

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Let me guess....this time Batman is even more dark and disturbed!!

If you had bothered to actually watch the trailer you'd see how wrong you are.  They're bringing back the campy and fun Batman from the 60s and 70s.  No plastic sculpted suit just a flabby middle aged man in tights.  No special effects, just bam, ziff, pow, boof.  No broody acting, just the light-hearted interaction and thinly veiled sexual innuendo between an aging super hero and his teenage sidekick. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

So they are following in the footsteps of the not that long ago ended Gotham which was broadcast on FOX?  

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Don't care about another Batman. Though I heard they are making some crazy one where a couple of old Batman's would appear. 

That one isn't actually a Batman movie, it's the Flash.  The story they're adapting there (Flashpoint) does have some really fun Batman stuff in it, but they can't do it justice.  Apparently both Keaton and Affleck are signed on for that one.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Matt Reeves is the only reason why I am willing to give this a chance. He did a splendid job with the Apes series.

Pattinson is an unusual choice, but I will give him a chance. I think Paul Dano is a great choice for the Riddler.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It'd be nice to have a DC movie that isn't hot garbage.

And after the Batman with Bale and Ledger they should have stopped. That was peak Batman.

Even Nolan couldn’t match himself in the third part of his trilogy. TDK was one for the ages. 

19 hours ago, TBBills said:

19 hours ago, dpberr said:

Yes, they are bringing back Michael Keaton's version and Ben Affleck's version for the Flash movie.

That one sounds interesting.  

17 hours ago, shrader said:

That one isn't actually a Batman movie, it's the Flash.  The story they're adapting there (Flashpoint) does have some really fun Batman stuff in it, but they can't do it justice.  Apparently both Keaton and Affleck are signed on for that one.

That sounds weird.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That sounds weird.

Time travel and parallel universes.  The original story actually runs with Thomas Wayne instead, which could have been different and fun.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It'd be nice to have a DC movie that isn't hot garbage.

And after the Batman with Bale and Ledger they should have stopped. That was peak Batman.

7 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Even Nolan couldn’t match himself in the third part of his trilogy. TDK was one for the ages. 

Somewhat disagree.

I think the entire trilogy by Nolan is great.

28 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Somewhat disagree.

I think the entire trilogy by Nolan is great.

TDKR was still an excellent film, but Dark Knight set a standard that's impossible to match.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Time travel and parallel universes.  The original story actually runs with Thomas Wayne instead, which could have been different and fun.

So the film that is supposed to unite all the Batman movies as coming from a common place rather than treating them as separate entities? Sort of the Rick and Morty of Batman movies where there is a multiverse of Batmen with some time travel thrown in(which is distinctly not Rick and Morty)? Hopefully not literal time travel so few movies handle that well.

That doesn't feel like a good idea but we will see I guess.

I hope they don't do that to the Spider Man movies but I guess they sort of did with the animated one. The earlier ones just need to be left alone to die. When Disney redoes XMen to be less of a debacle let's equally hope for a clean reboot.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, shrader said:

They should talk to Clooney to bring him back too, they could have a scene in that movie where the Flash just goes back to his timeline and Smacks him in the face......

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

So the film that is supposed to unite all the Batman movies as coming from a common place rather than treating them as separate entities? Sort of the Rick and Morty of Batman movies where there is a multiverse of Batmen with some time travel thrown in(which is distinctly not Rick and Morty)? Hopefully not literal time travel so few movies handle that well.

I hope they don't do that to the Spider Man movies but I guess they sort of did with the animated one. The earlier ones just need to be left alone to die. When Disney redoes XMen to be less of a debacle let's equally hope for a clean reboot.

The Flash movie will introduce the multiverse with batman, similar to what they did with the Spider man cartoon movie from a few years ago and will be doing with the marvel movies starting with the next Doctor Strange Movie

On 8/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, Mark Vader said:

I think Paul Dano is a great choice for the Riddler.

I agree! Inspired casting, that. Great fit

On 8/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, KD in CA said:

Let me guess....this time Batman is even more dark and disturbed!!

I think you'd have to be disturbed/traumatized to become Batman. What strange thing to do with your life. Especially for a billionaire

On 8/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, Wacka said:

Loved Adam West as Batman (of course I was a kid then). Of the movies, I liked Micheal Keaton.

With you on Keaton—lots of comedic undertones and just enough of everything else. The whole brooding/disturbed character uber-emphasis that the last few iterations back to Nolan have seen are so played out imho—I’m just trying to watch a mindlessly entertaining surface level superhero movie, is that too much to ask? 

19 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The time travel in the story is along the lines of Back to the Future.  Flash goes back in time and stops his mom from being killed.  That ripples through time, changing a ton of things.  One big one is that Bruce Wayne is killed instead of his parents and Thomas becomes Batman.  They can't do that here since Wayne has to be at least 20 years older than Flash in the movies.  So they'll just do the multiple universe thing instead.  There probably will only be one Batman at a time, so Affleck and Keaton won't both be in the same scene.

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I know right? Doesn't it feel like they are just completely out of ideas?  Isn't it about time for another stab at Fantastic Four?

This is a worn-out complaint, especially with iconic comic-based movies. The comics themselves tell thousands of stories and include different versions of the same hero/villain. 

Why should that be different with movies? 

When it comes down to it, all movies are the same old stories told in a different way, under a different context, with different characters. Its just the passing on of ideas through different groups and generations of people.

So don't expect super hero movies to go extinct any time soon and we can look forward to niche characters being thrown in here and there.

They absolutely need to tell a good Silver Surfer/Galactus story on the big screen with awesome effects. The 2007 film was a bit disappointing.

22 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

TDKR was still an excellent film, but Dark Knight set a standard that's impossible to match.

I understand what you are saying. The Dark Knight should have been nominated for best picture.

My one issue is that a lot of people don't appreciate The Dark Knight as a movie, and instead make it all about Heath Ledger's performance. Which is fantastic, but the entire story is great.

The entire trilogy is fantastic. Batman Begins is also a great film.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This is a worn-out complaint, especially with iconic comic-based movies. The comics themselves tell thousands of stories and include different versions of the same hero/villain. 

Why should that be different with movies? 

When it comes down to it, all movies are the same old stories told in a different way, under a different context, with different characters. Its just the passing on of ideas through different groups and generations of people.

So don't expect super hero movies to go extinct any time soon and we can look forward to niche characters being thrown in here and there.

They absolutely need to tell a good Silver Surfer/Galactus story on the big screen with awesome effects. The 2007 film was a bit disappointing.

If you want to keep having these movies that's fine but they should at least build in each other in some sort of meaningful way not just reboot the whole thing every couple years after a bad movie came out or an actor got too old to do the part.

Marvel did a nice job having a whole bunch of movies all connected together that all together told a story. DC has been terrible at that save a couple good individual movies here and there. They started to get on the right track with the Justice League thing even though it wasn't very good. Maybe it will turn out ok but the idea of trying to force all the previous Batman things together into a multiverse doesn't seem like it will go well. So now you'll have Wonder Woman who not only transcends time, she transcends time in multiple universes? Are Heath Ledger Joker and Jared Leto Joker in the same universe or different ones? And yes I know there are a million crossover comics and thousands of stories told in those comics but they all follow a fairly long arc. Doing this over and over again feels like a skipping record rather than following an actual arc from beginning to middle to end where the next Batman becomes Batman at the end of the previous Batman not back at the start again. Same thing with Superman. Stop starting over from the beginning and just follow a story arc.

• Thank you (+1) 1