Why Not Beane as President & GM of the Bills?

LB48

@GunnerBill I think when it's clear that either the coach or GM decision was a mistake, and the power structure is such that both report to the owner(s), you definitely have the potential for what appears to be "meddling" by an owner.  Looking back at 2016, by the end of the season the Pegulas knew Rex would be gone so they acted to protect their "investment" (Tyrod) in a meaningless game.  I don't recall the specifics relating to Tyrod, though -- did that move cost him any bonus money?

1 minute ago, eball said:

Ohhhhh...you mean the W16 decision in 2016...gotcha.

Yea. I do have reason to believe the Pegulas did not like Tyrod though. When they sat him in 2017 Rob Ryan was on UK tv that week and when they got to the Bills highlights he said "I don't know what their problem is with Tyrod but the people in the organisation up there are constantly trying to get rid of him." Now Whaley was gone, the whole front office was gone.... so the "they" to me seemed like it was directed at Terry and Kim. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

@GunnerBill I think when it's clear that either the coach or GM decision was a mistake, and the power structure is such that both report to the owner(s), you definitely have the potential for what appears to be "meddling" by an owner.  Looking back at 2016, by the end of the season the Pegulas knew Rex would be gone so they acted to protect their "investment" (Tyrod) in a meaningless game.  I don't recall the specifics relating to Tyrod, though -- did that move cost him any bonus money?

There was an injury guarantee they were trying to guard against but whatever the reason it was an indirect inference in football matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

There was an injury guarantee they were trying to guard against but whatever the reason it was an indirect inference in football matters. 

Yep -- admittedly one that had no practical implications.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The Sabres didn’t just finish last one season. They have been terrible for the last decade since the Pegula’s took over...and before anyone crowns them as great Bills owners, maybe they should wait until the team wins a couple of playoff games. 

The Pegula's finally got it right (luck or skill it doesn't matter) with the Bill's front office and coaches.

It's not up to them to win games.  They put the people in roles to do that.  Kim didn't drop the pass in the endzone.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills extended a bad GM, hired a terrible HC, but appear to have gotten it right on their second try.

Put the Sabres and Bills good moves and bad moves in a column and it’s pretty one sided.

Big deal.  They realized their mistake and it was just a 2-year error.

And again, as e-ball said, the issue with the Sabres is that they've hired the wrong guys.  But guys that were widely lauded at the time of their hires and ended up failing at their jobs.  They've done what every fan base wants, which is spend money, money, money.  To hear some talk, it's like they're intentionally trying to sabotage the team.  And then that "thinking" spills over into their opinions on their ownership of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Big deal.  They realized their mistake and it was just a 2-year error.

And again, as e-ball said, the issue with the Sabres is that they've hired the wrong guys.  But guys that were widely lauded at the time of their hires and ended up failing at their jobs.  They've done what every fan base wants, which is spend money, money, money.  To hear some talk, it's like they're intentionally trying to sabotage the team.  And then that "thinking" spills over into their opinions on their ownership of the Bills.

Yeah hiring the wrong guys is a BAD THING. Is this really a debate?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think since Beane and McDermott arrived the Pegulas have taken a step back. While I don't think they were making football decisions prior to that they hired McDermott - he was their choice - and they hired Rex - he was their choice also. Consequently because of the Rex - Whaley discord I think they meddled in the sense that they interfered in that relationship. Not in terms of "draft this guy" or "cut this guy" but every time they intervened it that power dynamic it indirectly affected football decisions - sitting Tyrod ultimately being the biggest. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

You think the Pegulas played a role in McD sitting Tyrod in 2017?  That's curious; I've never heard that take before.

Not hard to miss something made up.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Why not Beane for President of the United States?  

Because he has no interest in being Czar.

9 hours ago, QCity said:

I love what the Pegulas have done in the area, but Kim has no business being President of either team. That may sound harsh, but it's true.

All I know is that I'm really happy with the way things are trending. Whoever is in charge is doing a fantastic job assembling the right kind of talent and letting them do their job. I wouldn't change a thing other extending contracts like they just did with McD.

I seem to recall having read a number of articles mentioning how much Kim is well respected amongst other owners. Given this, there is really no reason to add to Beane’s plate...I have little doubt he shares his thoughts with her and she carries them to league meetings (if he’s not actually there). 

• Like (+1) 1

If it wasn't for the Pegulas, we wouldn't be talking about the Buffalo Bills right now. We'd be talking about the Toronto Bills (or Rockers, or whatever the hell Bon Jovi would've called them).

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm indebted to them for life, and they can be as involved as they want to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gregg, I’ll exercise sober judgment as long as I can have a beer in my hand.  Sorry, too easy and I almost never drink alcohol.  Nothing against it, I just feel like every glass of wine is another 15 minutes on the eliptical.  

I saw the bat signal......this is a drinking thread, right?

29 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

Slow Your Roll GIFs | Tenor

I’m in.

• Haha (+1) 1

Kinda get the feeling from hearing Beane y’all over the past few years that he loves the football side of the job and not so much the business side. Seems to really get charged up in running the personnel side and finding talent. Think he is in his happy place doing so! Either way I expect his extension soon and he and Coach to be here for many productive years!! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

If it wasn't for the Pegulas, we wouldn't be talking about the Buffalo Bills right now. We'd be talking about the Toronto Bills (or Rockers, or whatever the hell Bon Jovi would've called them).

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm indebted to them for life, and they can be as involved as they want to be.

I'm grateful that they stepped-up and bought the Bills and will keep it here for my lifetime.  And they have every right to do with it as they please.  But what they are doing is all anyone can ask for and it's best to keep well enough alone. 

The Sabres are another story but like I said, it's not for a lack of trying on their part.  And that's a discussion for another board.  Personally I wouldn't care if they sold the franchise and concentrated solely on the Bills.  If that means the Sabres move, so be it.  It wold be unfortunate but also one less thing for people to B word about.

1 hour ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Kinda get the feeling from hearing Beane y’all over the past few years that he loves the football side of the job and not so much the business side. Seems to really get charged up in running the personnel side and finding talent. Think he is in his happy place doing so! Either way I expect his extension soon and he and Coach to be here for many productive years!! 

He might enjoy that but his real elite skills are as a leader and organiser. 

I don't think the  Pegulas are the kind of owners who think they know more than anyone else.  However, with the flat management structure they are forced to intervene pretty much any time there is a dispute between the coach and GM.  Luckily for the Pegulas, Beane and McDermott are pretty much on the same page.  I am sure there are disagreements but nothing that they can't settle among themselves.

I think they are trying to reproduce the Bills' situation in the Sabres, essentially allowing Krueger a large say in who is the new GM just like McDermott did.  I am sure they hope that the Sabres runs smoothly enough that they can take a step back and not be so involved.

21 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It strikes me that there is a group of posters here who can’t bring themselves to understand that Kim owns the damn team, there is only one reason for the continued insistence that she should not be in in charge of her team... time for you boys to get over it. You shine the bright light of misogyny on yourselves. 

Go Bills!!!

Kim owns the team by virtue of her marriage to Terry Pegula.  Let Brandon run the operation and keep her on the sidelines!

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I was wondering why the Bills would embarrass themselves twice with the all red uniforms.  Then I found out it was a woman's decision and it made complete sense.

So agree - Kim thought the red uni's looked 'fashionable'. 

LB48, it matters not by what virtue, Kim is the owner. That Billionaire women owns and runs your favorite football team, you may as well get used to it. She is your football sugar momma. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, Don Otreply said:

LB48, it matters not by what virtue, Kim is the owner. That Billionaire women owns and runs your favorite football team, you may as well get used to it. She is your football sugar momma. 

Go Bills!!!

She owns the team only through her husband. 

3 minutes ago, LB48 said:

She owns the team only through her husband. 

Your repeating yourself so I will as well. It doesn’t matter how she owns the team, she still owns it, and your favorite football team is owned by Kim Pegula, she is everyone’s boss, she okays any and all decisions, she is the Buffalo Bills football fans sugar momma. What she says is law. Every thing SM & BB do has been okayed by her or it doesn’t happen. You should Warm up to it,  but then again you can stew in your distress that a Women runs your team, it’s your choice, ??

Go Bills!!!

On 8/15/2020 at 8:41 AM, Don Otreply said:

During her tenure as owner and president nothing has been done to interfere with what can be consider football decisions, so what’s the problem?  A make believe fantasy of issues?  Scant reasoning at best. There are lots of folk without business degrees successfully running businesses small and large all over the world. So again what’s the problem?

Ya need to get over it. Nuthin but luv, 

Go Bills!!!

You’re anti red helmets I take it... ?

19 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Your repeating yourself so I will as well. It doesn’t matter how she owns the team, she still owns it, and your favorite football team is owned by Kim Pegula, she is everyone’s boss, she okays any and all decisions, she is the Buffalo Bills football fans sugar momma. What she says is law. Every thing SM & BB do has been okayed by her or it doesn’t happen. You should Warm up to it,  but then again you can stew in your distress that a Women runs your team, it’s your choice, ??

Go Bills!!!

It has absolutely nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with having experience. I would be saying the same thing if her husband was in the position. Just because you are rich enough to buy a Ferrari doesn't make it a smart idea to rebuild the engine yourself. You hire qualified, capable people with experience for that.

The Pegulas have owned the Sabres longer than the Bills and the team has been a trainwreck under their stewardship -- now going on year 6 of wasting the talents of a superstar player. Kim has turned their front office into a laughing-stock revolving door of hires and fires making it almost impossible to attract any outside, experienced executive talent that wants to work under her (hence the latest internal hire at GM).

Of course, this was already pointed out earlier in the thread and dismissed with a "So??" which leads me to believe you don't want to hear about her failures, and in absence of any real accomplishments will fall back on this "sexist" nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with having experience. I would be saying the same thing if her husband was in the position. Just because you are rich enough to buy a Ferrari doesn't make it a smart idea to rebuild the engine yourself. You hire qualified, capable people with experience for that.

The Pegulas have owned the Sabres longer than the Bills and the team has been a trainwreck under their stewardship -- now going on year 6 of wasting the talents of a superstar player. Kim has turned their front office into a laughing-stock revolving door of hires and fires making it almost impossible to attract any outside, experienced executive talent that wants to work under her (hence the latest internal hire at GM).

Of course, this was already pointed out earlier in the thread and dismissed with a "So??" which leads me to believe you don't want to hear about her failures, and in absence of any real accomplishments will fall back on this "sexist" nonsense.

She owns the team, she gets to do what ever the hell she wants to do with the team. And she is doing a fine job with the Bills, in fact better than most of the men who have filled the job. It is a disingenuous argument. 

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Thank you for this very intelligent reply.  Kim was going to college and working as a waitress when she met her future husband.  He divorced his wife and married Kim.  Thus, she became a billionaire and the rest is history.  I question her background in football. 

I wrote this post in regards to Brandon Beane.  He has 22 years of experience in the NFL.  As of now he is the "hottest" property in the NFL to run an organization.  He's really more than a GM as compared to the rest of those within NFL teams.

PRESIDENT is a sign of his value and not a challenge to the owners of the team.  He deserves the title and compensation!!

20 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I wrote this post in regards to Brandon Beane.  He has 22 years of experience in the NFL.  As of now he is the "hottest" property in the NFL to run an organization.  He's really more than a GM as compared to the rest of those within NFL teams.

PRESIDENT is a sign of his value and not a challenge to the owners of the team.  He deserves the title and compensation!!

I doubt he cares about the title or the responsibilities that come with it, and the compensation will come.  Leave the Bills side of things alone.

If I was the owner I would be President with 3 key reports: GM, Coach and Business/Admin.

That does not mean I would run things on a daily basis but set direction and approve the major decisions by my direct reports.  If you own the business you need to be leading and involved at a high level.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:41 AM, Don Otreply said:

During her tenure as owner and president nothing has been done to interfere with what can be consider football decisions

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

She owns the team, she gets to do what ever the hell she wants to do with the team. And she is doing a fine job with the Bills, in fact better than most of the men who have filled the job. It is a disingenuous argument. 

You just admitted she doesn't do anything with regard to football decisions. So beyond the rallying cry of "She owns the team!" and "sexism" feel free to point out her accomplishments after 4 years at the helm combined between 2 franchises -- but I won't hold any grudges if you don't want to do all that typing.

I don’t understand the rally cry to change something not broken.  The Bills are being run very well.  This isn’t a Sabres board so points on changes to the Sabres I’m sure is welcome there.  Even though I have a family member working for them and this person says nothing but positive things about Kim, changes there does not mean changes to the Bills.  Since Kim has more direct responsibility for say to day business operations as marketing, sales, operations, etc., why change a problem that is not there.  Teams like Atlanta have a President, McKay, Dimitroff as GM, and so on as there jobs are different.   Why pile more responsibility onto Beane when his job is hard enough, amd is doing a great job. 

5 hours ago, QCity said:

You just admitted she doesn't do anything with regard to football decisions. So beyond the rallying cry of "She owns the team!" and "sexism" feel free to point out her accomplishments after 4 years at the helm combined between 2 franchises -- but I won't hold any grudges if you don't want to do all that typing.

Your just being a knucklehead now.