Seahawks trade for Jamal Adams

I thinks the jets made an excellent trade, they got premium capital for a non premium position. And if the jets keep hitting on their picks like they have been, this is a huge trade. Imagine the jets could land the best tackle and a top tier wr in next years draft and change the entire offense in one round, and do it again the year after.... for a good safety that didn't want to be there.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I thinks the jets made an excellent trade, they got premium capital for a non premium position. And if the jets keep hitting on their picks like they have been, this is a huge trade. Imagine the jets could land the best tackle and a top tier wr in next years draft and change the entire offense in one round, and do it again the year after.... for a good safety that didn't want to be there.

How exactly have been hitting on their picks.

Adams has been their only good pick in quite some time.

41 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

If the Jets didn't value safety as a premium position they wouldn't have taken Adams with the 6th pick of the draft.  He's very good in coverage and is elite as a pass rusher.  It will be interesting to see how Seattle uses him as they play in a division loaded with WR and TE weapons.  Meanwhile, the Jets can waste Darnold's rookie contract and continue to be on their ever lasting rebuilding process with two extra first rounders most likely in the 25 to 32 range.

IIRC it was the Jets' MLB who was the key to their defense, and not Adams.  The Bills would probably have lost their game in New Jersey if he hadn't been injured in the second half. I don't remember Adams making an impact at all.

I look at this as two desperate teams making what will be a lose-lose trade in the long run.  The Jets get two firsts that they'll screw up on as usual.  Getting a good player like Adams is the exception for them.  And now they will have to hope one of those firsts pans out because they couldn't hire a HC the players respect and because they couldn't work out a deal.  Odds are not good.  For Seattle, the desperation is trying to patch up an aging, collapsing defense and win one more before Wilson starts declining.  Seattle in three years will be tanking for the best available QB in the draft.

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Bad characterization by Brooks, because it’s not like the Jets got bad compensation. No leverage but he was going to walk. So they saved themselves a year of headaches and got two firsts and a decent safety in return.

This was a complete steal for the Jets, they might have wasted the first two years of Darnold's rookie deal and are on track to burn a third they actually got a huge amount of compensation for a player that wasn't interested in being there.

They could easily fire Gates and hand a new coach a promising young QB and a lot of draft picks and some cap space to work with. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

That’s an insane return for a DB who frankly I don’t really think is an every week game changer. Tryna resurrect the legion of boom or something. 

I agree, I cannot believe the Jets got that much for a disgruntled safety. I hope Pete Carroll is ready to be critiqued.

For as bad a situation as that was — having a star player trash the organization and coach — it sure seems like the Jets fleeced Seattle.  Yes, draft picks aren’t guarantees, but TWO firsts?  Gotta give Douglas credit here.

That said, the team still rots from the head and Gase is still the wrong man for the job.

I can’t believe the Seahawks were dumb enough to give up that much for a Safety. Adams is really good but he just won’t make enough of a difference to justify TWO first round picks? How many games did the jets win with him? And you still have to pay him. After the way he was acting, I was thinking they wouldn’t even get a single first rounder for him. Insane. Great trade for the Jets (unfortunately)

Our Safety’s are excellent and give us the freedom to do a lot of things on defense. They are probably the backbone of our team. They absolutely matter but it’s not like most non Bills fans know who Poyer even is. You certainly don’t need to spend crazy money on one, or give up ridiculous compensation to get them. The difference between the top safety in the league and a guy you pay 2-4mil to, is not enough to warrant those assets. The Seahawks are usually pretty intelligent. I’m surprised they were the team that made this mistake.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That’s not the point. The Bills were perennial losers in the division for a long, long time. The Jets and Dolphins both experienced more success than the Bills did... the Jets more so, going to back to back AFC Championship games.

OK Scott, you got me.  For 1 out of 18 seasons the Jets could have criticized the Bills.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I even bolded and italicized it to highlight the sarcasm of Adams "exposing" Gase's deficits as a coach--which he chose not to do in his first social media outburst, but his last one.  Crazy he would do it that way, right?

Name one player who has echoed what Adams said about Gase.  What are they afraid of?  It's common knowledge, right.  In an age defined by social media, where every thought is posted, why haven't they followed suit.  They aren't going to criticize another player for agitating to get a better deal, doc...so I'm not sure why you would even bring that up.

And your take on picks still makes no sense doc.  As another poster said:  $100 bill is $100, no matter how you invest or blow it.  A top 10 pick is high value, even if your FO sucks.  A first round pick is more valuable than a 3rd round pick, etc.  This is true on every team, good or bad.  

Why would I need to name a player that has echoed what Adams said about Gase?  Are you really still struggling with the fact that he's a bad coach and almost everyone knows it, whether they speak up or not?  There are many reasons for current Jets players to not say anything, but also many reasons for them to come to Gase's defense now that Adams is gone.  However...crickets.

And I look at the trade as Adams, a former 6th overall pick and All-Pro safety, for a collection of picks that at-best (since future picks don't have the same value as their current value) the 8th overall pick, with 2 more years at a cheap rate and incentive to keep quiet since he's on a SB contender now.  And since this college football season will likely be a washout, taking a player at the end of the 1st round next year will probably be a crap shoot. 

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Did not expect this.

Man that does suck to get recruited by a dude, sign a long term deal and then get told it’s just business as that guy forces a trade out of there.

LOL!  Like Bell is anyone to talk.  And he forced his way off a good team for a lousy one all for the money, not the opposite in Adams' case. 

5 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

They’re not getting a top tier WR with Seattle’s picks in the mid-late twenties.  

We just saw one of the best WR classes in recent memory (allegedly) and we traded our 20’s 1st for Diggs because we were otherwise looking at a major drop off from the top WRs in the class.  

I like the trade for the Jets simply due to philosophy - like RB, I don’t believe in allotting massive cap space to a single Safety.   Getting two firsts, even if they’re late firsts, is a strong pull.  

On the flip side, Jamal Adams is an impact player and it seems to be a narrative of Jets fans and, also some Bills fans here, to pretend like he wasn’t a beast.    Also, if Seattle is as good as advertised these next two years, people are heavily over-valuing two late 1sts for the former #6 pick, All-Pro Safety, regarded as the best player at his position by most (oft-injured Derwin James not withstanding)

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

More like 5 seasons.

Throughout that time frame the Jets went to the playoffs in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2010 winning 6 playoff games throughout those appearances.

The Bills went a total of 0 times and OBVIOUSLY won 0 playoff games..... and still haven’t since 1996. We have been WAY more pathetic as a franchise than the Jets until McBeane arrived and again, the Jets have at least won a few playoff games. 

You're trying too hard, Scott.  Why you are even here is anyone's guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I can’t believe the Seahawks were dumb enough to give up that much for a Safety. Adams is really good but he just won’t make enough of a difference to justify TWO first round picks? How many games did the jets win with him? And you still have to pay him. After the way he was acting, I was thinking they wouldn’t even get a single first rounder for him. Insane. Great trade for the Jets (unfortunately)

Our Safety’s are excellent and give us the freedom to do a lot of things on defense. They are probably the backbone of our team. They absolutely matter but it’s not like most non Bills fans know who Poyer even is. You certainly don’t need to spend crazy money on one, or give up ridiculous compensation to get them. The difference between the top safety in the league and a guy you pay 2-4mil to, is not enough to warrant those assets. The Seahawks are usually pretty intelligent. I’m surprised they were the team that made this mistake.

The Chiefs signed Mathieu to a 3 year $42M deal last year and went from good team to Super Bowl Champ. It depends on the situation that your team is in and that is what we are underrating here. This trade elevates the Seahawks to one of the favorites. The goal is to win titles. When your window is open and you have a chance to get one of the best players in football you need to do it.

Also, we need to stop looking at this as “a safety.” Adams is a chess piece. In his career he’s played 41% of his snaps at safety, 39% at OLB, 12% at slot corner, 5% outside corner and 3% at ILB. That’s WHY he’s so valuable. When ESPN did the rankings a few weeks back (which is where this info is from) an NFC exec said that he’s the 2nd best defensive player in football behind Donald. Adding that type of player to a Super Bowl contender is never a mistake. It’s just expensive. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Jets got a good deal, but it’s funny how many people think this will be good for the Jets. They aren’t going anywhere with Gase in charge. The guy isn’t a leader, and he alienates everyone. Additionally, I’m not even convinced about the QB guru stuff with this guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

OK Scott, you got me.  For 1 out of 18 seasons the Jets could have criticized the Bills.

Why would I need to name a player that has echoed what Adams said about Gase?  Are you really still struggling with the fact that he's a bad coach and almost everyone knows it, whether they speak up or not?  There are many reasons for current Jets players to not say anything, but also many reasons for them to come to Gase's defense now that Adams is gone.  However...crickets.

And I look at the trade as Adams, a former 6th overall pick and All-Pro safety, for a collection of picks that at-best (since future picks don't have the same value as their current value) the 8th overall pick, with 2 more years at a cheap rate and incentive to keep quiet since he's on a SB contender now.  And since this college football season will likely be a washout, taking a player at the end of the 1st round next year will probably be a crap shoot. 

LOL!  Like Bell is anyone to talk.  And he forced his way off a good team for a lousy one all for the money, not the opposite in Adams' case. 

No one is struggling with that, but you are, as usual, pretending to miss the point.  I documented all of Adams's public whining chronologically to ask you why, if Gase was the problem all along, forcing him to seek a trade, did he mention Gase last in his list of grievances and not first?

Players are far more likely to complain about things on social media (see their recent wailing about NFL upcoming preparedness for camp...while their union were finishing up the details of the agreement they just voted for!).  Yet we have heard no one else pop off about how horrible Gase is--even anonymously.  And as I showed you---even ADAMS couldn't pinpoint Gase as the real problem until a month into his "get me out of here campaign".  A month!

Obviously he pivoted to Gase this late because his other efforts in his public campaign had failed. So he finally unwrapped "oh, and our HC sucks, man".

Yet.....a month ago, when Gase was asked about his relationship with Adams, he said this:

“My relationship with Jamal has been good since the time I’ve gotten here. We had a lot of discussions throughout the season trying to figure out ways to win. To me, we’ve always gotten along well. There’s been a lot of dialogue between us, especially about on- and off-the-field type topics.”

And did Adams, already making some noise on social media about his displeasure with not being signed to a new deal, dispute Gase's assessment?  Did he even comment on it? 

No, he did not.  Why is that?  Obviously because his beef was not with Gase or his coaching style at that time.  

This was the issue, doc: 

According to Adams, he was told by general manager Joe Douglas that they would discuss his contract in the offseason. As months went by and the team began to sign more rookies, Adams said the conversation turned.

“If they would have just simply said, ‘You know what, Jamal, we’re not going to look to pay you this year, we want to keep adding players' – I would have respected that more,” he said. “I would say, ‘You know what? I respect it. As a man, I get it. I understand it’s a business.’ But for them to tell me that they’re going to pay me and then not send over a proposal after they said that’s what they were going to, that’s where we go wrong. And then for you to ignore me, that’s why I have a problem.”

But no, you're right.  Adams woke up a few days ago, weeks into this and suddenly it dawned on him that Gase is the reason for his displeasure.  It is overwhelmingly obvious that, had the Jets gave him the deal he wanted (or at least did some sort of negotiation), he would still be a Jet and we would hear NOTHING about how bad his HC is.

You know this has nothing to do with Gase, and every player on that team knows this as well, so they are not going to say anything either way.

But yeah doc, despite all evidence to the contrary, this was all about how bad a coach Gase is.  

Solid.

Just now, aristocrat said:

On a well coached team he will play even better and when you think you’re this close to a title you make the move you think puts you over the top.

This is the exact point!!

Put it a different way to bring it around to the Bills. I think most of us would agree that an offensive tackle is the biggest need on the Bills right now. Maybe some people would say TE. If the Bills could trade 2 1sts right now for George Kittle should they do it? Ronnie Stanley? Lane Johnson? It just isn’t a position that we are accustomed to being in so we overrate draft picks. If your super bowl window is open, and you have a chance to get a superstar to plug your biggest need, you don‘t worry about draft picks in the 20’s.