Jump to content
PIZ

Bills signing Daryl Williams OT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:


Not sure what is defined as “young” these days, but their oldest starter was 28 in 2019.

 

Assuming Ford starts at RT, their ages would be (from left to right): 26, 29, 28, 28, 24.


Okay I pretty much forgot about Dawkins, haha. Add him to the list. But I stand by my overall point. Most guys peak in their mid/late 20s. I don’t expect Spain, Morse, Feliciano, or Spencer Long to get significantly better at this point of their careers. Nsekhe can reasonably be expected to be getting worse. Williams is a bit of a special case because of injury & position, but even still it would be a big surprise if he ever has a better year than 2017. 
 

Ford, Bates, and maybe Dawkins are the only 3 that probably have their best football ahead of them. Not everyone automatically gets better every year, so it’s certainly possible Bates gets cut. But I think he’ll make the team unless a younger player beats him out. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey another Panther cast off signing... 😴

 

Let's go ahead and make it official:

sCm5lk8.jpg

 

But in all seriousness, I guess there is a silver lining... Beane is lucking out that the Panthers are going into a rebuild and dumping a ton of vet starters. He pretty much gets first dibs given the existing relationships (and bonus that they think so highly of him, they all want to sign with him). And Beane gets to bring in a bunch of veteran starters on team-friendly prove it deals, and keep them hungry to compete and push the youngsters he's drafted.

 

This could be one of those little things that gets overlooked in the bigger story, but is one of a number of "planets aligning" things that all good teams benefit from.

 

And as he's proven before, it's never a bad thing to have decent depth at OL which you can always trade away for assets to help you maneuver around the draft board.

 

I'm still questioning the Butler signing, but I'll wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard an explanation as to why in the new CBA you're required to dress 8 O lineman each week?  Why not require 6 WR or 7 DB's, how come they singled out the line like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

There's your RT, Ford can stay at RG, good signing, good, proven player

 

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. You let training camp play out, but Nscheke was clearly the better RT than Ford all of last season. Wasn’t even close, IMO.

 

I think you keep all 3. There is literally no point in cutting Nscheke and if Ford doesn’t win the job just move him inside to his more natural position. 

 

I don't see Ford starting at guard or RT this season.  Still, I would like to see the contract Daryl Williams received before making solid predictions about that position. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

 

 

I don't see Ford starting at guard or RT this season.  Still, I would like to see the contract Daryl Williams received before making solid predictions about that position. 

 

 

 

 

Even without knowing the money, the fact that it's a 1-year deal says enough. He needs to prove it early and keep proving it to get a roster spot.

 

I also dont think the Bills Brass is as eager to move Ford to Guard as some fans are. It's most likely a message board pipe dream.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cash said:


Okay I pretty much forgot about Dawkins, haha. Add him to the list. But I stand by my overall point. Most guys peak in their mid/late 20s. I don’t expect Spain, Morse, Feliciano, or Spencer Long to get significantly better at this point of their careers. Nsekhe can reasonably be expected to be getting worse. Williams is a bit of a special case because of injury & position, but even still it would be a big surprise if he ever has a better year than 2017. 
 

Ford, Bates, and maybe Dawkins are the only 3 that probably have their best football ahead of them. Not everyone automatically gets better every year, so it’s certainly possible Bates gets cut. But I think he’ll make the team unless a younger player beats him out. 

 

Guys peak later or earlier depending on position. Running back takes a lot of wear and tear, so their peak is younger. Most other positions seem to peak around age 30 and then there is a steep decline after that. QB's, kickers, and punters can peak later than that because they don't take the punishment of other positions (especially QB's since such a large part of the job is mental).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Even without knowing the money, the fact that it's a 1-year deal says enough. He needs to prove it early and keep proving it to get a roster spot.

 

I also dont think the Bills Brass is as eager to move Ford to Guard as some fans are. It's most likely a message board pipe dream.

Yep. Lots of posters don’t want to give Ford the chance to get better at RT. A position the Bills have struggled to fill for a long time. Love for Ford to be the guy for the next three years. He is on a very affordable team friendly contract. Solid right tackles are getting paid pretty good these days, look at Conklin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

 

I don't see Ford starting at guard or RT this season.  Still, I would like to see the contract Daryl Williams received before making solid predictions about that position.

 

Yeah, if new or better people beat out Ford, so be it. I see that as a totally good thing, this is a meritocracy, the best man wins--no matter where they were drafted. Ford will need to improve to stay in the line-up, and that is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good signing. Wasn't there talk of us trading or signing him to a big contract last year or a couple years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Has anyone heard an explanation as to why in the new CBA you're required to dress 8 O lineman each week?  Why not require 6 WR or 7 DB's, how come they singled out the line like that?

you are not required to dress 8 OL each week. however, you may now dress 55 on game days, provided that you activate 8 OL. In other words, you can go with 53, or 55. If you go 55, then 8 of those must be OL, which would leave you 1 extra position that can be active on gameday....if I understand correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm pretty sure everyone we've added this offseason has some kind of tie to McDermott, the sole exception being Diggs. Everyone else on the team knows his culture and his scheme.

Williams knows Daboll's offense because McDermott once coached the defensive side of the ball in Carolina?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Am I reading his stats right, he led the league in sacks allowed at 12?

I live in Carolina panthers country but am a lifelong Bills fan. My friend, a Panthers fan, thought he was a liability last year. It will be interesting to see how he does in camp. If anything, it gives us flexibility. Maybe they trade someone, possibly Spencer Long to a team needing a center. Cowboys come to mind.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

But the real question on everyone's minds.....does PFF approve of him?

They literally just lowered his overall grade. I’m serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turftoe said:

I live in Carolina panthers country but am a lifelong Bills fan. My friend, a Panthers fan, thought he was a liability last year. It will be interesting to see how he does in camp. If anything, it gives us flexibility. Maybe they trade someone, possibly Spencer Long to a team needing a center. Cowboys come to mind.

 

Daryl Williams's story is kinda a head scratcher. I havent followed him but from what I can glean online...

 

He was drafted as a RT, and took a couple seasons to grow into the role before really settling in and having a Pro Bowl worthy 2017 season. Then blew out his knee (twice?) in 2018. Then came back in 2019, but Carolina moved him to LG where he struggled.

 

I'm hoping a chance to compete at RT will reignite his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simpleman said:

Let us just hope and wait before we judge

 

Then why are you here? The forum will still be here in September if you think offseason discussion is worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then came back in 2019, but Carolina moved him to LG where he struggled.

 

Carolina's entire OL was a mess last year.  They started two rookies at LOT and moved Williams all around out of necessity, not scheme.

 

No question, he's a risk due to the knee.    But a good risk in that he's still young (28 on oppening day) and might thrive in a swing / backup role...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

WTF would McBeane do without the Panthers?

He is exploiting his knowledge of their players to jigsaw puzzle them into need of the Bills.  He might have come from a different team and would be doing the same.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both the Gaines and Williams acquisitions are both potentially solid signings.  If they remain healthy at worst they will be useful rotational and depth players which as we all know depth is very important.  At best we have two new starters that would represent upgrades.  The team is just getting accumulating a deeper talent pool.

 

To be honest, I actually think we now are a better team than we were a week ago.  

 

WR, RB, Edge Rusher, O lineman and Fullback are areas that they could still improve upon.   There really are no glaring holes on the team.  Of course the biggest determinant of whether or not the Bills will succeed is Allen's growth.  As long as he continues improving the sky is the limit with the Bills.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

 

Carolina's entire OL was a mess last year.  They started two rookies at LOT and moved Williams all around out of necessity, not scheme.

 

No question, he's a risk due to the knee.    But a good risk in that he's still young (28 on oppening day) and might thrive in a swing / backup role...

I agree. Although, kinda funny that considering they were a mess that they still graded better than Buffalo at #21, Carolina at #18. 

 

 

Of his 838 snaps last season for the Panthers, he played 412 at left guard, 218 at right guard, 173 at left tackle, 45 at right tackle and two at tight end. He was in for 570 pass blocking snaps and 268 run blocking snaps.  

 

3. Pressure. Williams was worst in the league at his best position in allowing 12 sacks, according to Pro Football Focus. He also allowed 21 hurries and two hits. His overall PFF grade was 56.1, with a pass blocking grade of 64.7 and a run blocking grade of 46.2.

 

4. On the rebound? The Bills have to hope that Williams can return to what he showed in 2017. He was a second-team All-Pro selection in 2017 after he started 16 games at right tackle

 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/26/buffalo-bills-free-agency-daryl-williams-offensive-line-carolina-panthers/

 

At 6'6'' 330lbs I see him at RT and the Bills FO hoping he reverts to 2017 form. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...