Sign in to follow this  
CheshireCT

TE in rd. 2?

4 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

We have Knox, Sweeney and Kroft and you want to draft another TE with our 1st pick, Really!

Pretty safe to say the Bills aren't drafting a TE with their 1st pick, dumb thread! 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not really seeing a TE in our 2nd Round future, but the two best TE's in this draft will likely be (1)Cole Kmet from Notre Dame and (2)Bryce Hopkins from Purdue. The Missouri kid, not even going to try to spell him name, has a ton of upside athletically as well. The class overall is not as strong as last year, but there will be at least some guys who can make an impact. Kmet is a complete prospect who has good size, good speed, can block, runs solid routes, and has good hands. Hopkins is an excellent receiving option, but I can't say I know much about his blocking prowess. Don't really know much else. 

Kmet is clearly the best tight end in the class. I think he is a solid tight end prospect. He isn't Hockenson or Fant or OJ Howard but he is a solid round 2 talent. After that I have a little cluster of guys I think are really 3rd or 4th rounders that includes both the Bryants (Hunter and Harrison), Hopkins and the Missouri kid.... whose name I am also not going to attempt.

Dawson Knox was my #7 tight end last year. He would be my #4 tight end this year.

EDIT: Should have added Josiah Deguara to my little cluster as well he is in that mix in my mind. I really like him.

Also to say I think Kmet could sneak into the late 1st and at least a couple of others will go in the 2nd. But they will be people reaching down the board for need at the position.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

How Many Tight Ends do we really need ?

Image result for toilet paper hoarders gif

If only most of them had more value than what's in that shopping cart...

5 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

2 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I haven't investigated to be honest. I would think there must be a couple of guys out there, but I could be wrong!

2 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I see. What a pity. I was just thinking TE is often great value in the 1st/2nd round. Gronk was a late first if I recall and Martellus Bennett was a 2nd (also as I recall). Seems usually GMs don't take a TE in the high rounds unless they really have a stable roster already.

Less thinking out loud, more research to know what you're talking about please.

Knox is going to be our stud in an already deep TE group.  We need other positions more.

• Like (+1) 2

As 1manraid just said Knox is that tight end until proven otherwise. Knox presents matchup nightmares just like the Kittles and Kelces of the world. With time running routes and work on his hands he already has the tools to be a stud tight end. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I see. What a pity. I was just thinking TE is often great value in the 1st/2nd round. Gronk was a late first if I recall and Martellus Bennett was a 2nd (also as I recall). Seems usually GMs don't take a TE in the high rounds unless they really have a stable roster already.

How do you forget that we made one of the biggest draft blunders ever, Gronl was picked 2nd round right after we picked Torrell Troup

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

You take a TE when there is a TE worthy of that pick. The same is true for every position but QB. You can’t just take a TE in the 2nd round if there isn’t a TE worth the pick. 

32 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Knox is going to be our stud in an already deep TE group.  We need other positions more.

Is this sarcasm?  Irony?  Both?

• Like (+1) 1

If we can get Kmet im round 2 you do it... honestly we need to score more point. McDermott has admitted this. So far we have only added one offensive piece. Sure Diggs was huge but we will need more to really make a difference. And what better way then adding a guy like Kmet. We are still short at reciever so adding a tall redzone threat atcthe very least in the passing game.  Just having a big target will help us score more points. And this isnt to mention he is a tremendous blocking TE. And with Ford being so young. Having a TE blocking on the right side of the line would be huge. He can help our run game and our pass game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Dawson Knox will be a top TE in the next few years. He stretches the field and is tough to bring down.  Rookies drop passes and miss blocks but with a full year under his belt and good coaching , I'm confident he will take a big step forward this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think our best move now would be to continue to upgrade the OL.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Not really seeing a TE in our 2nd Round future, but the two best TE's in this draft will likely be (1)Cole Kmet from Notre Dame and (2)Bryce Hopkins from Purdue. The Missouri kid, not even going to try to spell him name, has a ton of upside athletically as well. The class overall is not as strong as last year, but there will be at least some guys who can make an impact. Kmet is a complete prospect who has good size, good speed, can block, runs solid routes, and has good hands. Hopkins is an excellent receiving option, but I can't say I know much about his blocking prowess. Don't really know much else. 

That Missouri kid, let's just call him Oak, is a stud.  He had some injuries and an unstable QB situation last year.  Had he come out for the draft the previous year, he might have been a late first, high second round pick.

If he's around in the 4th I'd snag him.  Dude's gonna be a star.

• Like (+1) 1

I would rather have a RB than TE.  Reality is that is that there will be players grouped as BPA and in that group TE will be a low priority.

Posted (edited)

I would take Cole Kmet, he's a baller with excellent hands

Edited by ndirish1978

We tried to get Greg Olsen, and we didn't.

I believe that was the extent of the Bills getting an upgrade at TE.

I think Knox is going to be great for us, and we have more needs at other positions.

I see the Bills drafting the BPA in round 2 this year... with virtually no chance that said player would be a tight end though.

7 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I see the Bills drafting the BPA in round 2 this year... with virtually no chance that said player would be a tight end though.

This. The Bills' draft strategy is to be competent or better at every position going into the draft and never reach for need. 

Knox in 2020 is highly likely to be better than any 2-4th round draft pick this year at that position. Knox has a ton of upside. He has the ability to make the spectacular catch so his skills are not really in question there. He drops a lot of "easy" balls though. That's a concentration issue, not a skills issue. He'll be a stud, IMO.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thaddeus Moss, anyone?

I think Moss needs to become and H back type and do some fullback things. But I like his upside. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

My boy Dalton Keene on day 3 please and thanks 

Love Keene, and like above I do think he can double as a fullback/tight end. I know its early, but I think he is going on day 2. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I would take Cole Kmet, he's a baller with excellent hands

To me, if he’s there in the second you take him. I’d rather have the best tight end in the draft over the 7th running back or tenth defensive end. There is some boom or bust there as he just turned 21. So he will probably need some time. Love Kmet though. And he has the length and height that make him the perfect complement to Knox. Kmet is Gronk to Knox’s Hernandez (minus the murdering). Or more conservatively, Kmet is Typer Higbee and Knox is Gerald Everett. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I like Knox too, optimistic about his future. And I agree with you that the Bills should and will take the best player available on their board. That said, if there was a top tier TE prospect there when the Bills have their pick....wouldn't it be great that have that big fast reliable guy for Josh Allen to throw to? I think every quarterback wants that.

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Moss needs to become and H back type and do some fullback things. But I like his upside. 

Love Keene, and like above I do think he can double as a fullback/tight end. I know its early, but I think he is going on day 2. 

To me, if he’s there in the second you take him. I’d rather have the best tight end in the draft over the 7th running back or tenth defensive end. There is some boom or bust there as he just turned 21. So he will probably need some time. Love Kmet though. And he has the length and height that make him the perfect complement to Knox. Kmet is Gronk to Knox’s Hernandez (minus the murdering). Or more conservatively, Kmet is Typer Higbee and Knox is Gerald Everett. 

A lot of people around here seem to think Kmet is a serious prospect. If he's that good, I wouldn't doubt if the Bills would consider him if he's there.

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So by this logic you take the best kicker over the second best QB.  Take the

BPA at a position of need within the tier when picking.  If TE, not opposed but doubt it.