Whisky or Whiskey preference in terms of drink, not spelling?

It's simple.

Whisky is Scotch.

Whiskey is everything else.

What do you prefer and why?

Personally, Scotch is far and away my preference. And Single Malt Scotch at that.

I've tried Bourbon... I really notice that "corn mash" flavor and it almost tastes saccharine to me. Even the more expensive bottles I've bought sporadically just to try to be part of the converted.

Canadian Whiskey is a little better, but largely the same.

I have Irish roots so I always try some Irish Whiskey around St. Patrick's Day. Last year it was Green Spot, which I wasn't the biggest fan of. This year I'm trying Redbreast 12, which might be the best non-Whisky I've had... mostly because I think it's most similar to Scotch. That and Bushmills, which surprised me.

The draw to Irish Whiskey seems to be that it's "smooth."

I don't think I like "smooth" in my whiskey/whisky. I like the bite. The bite is where all the flavor is a lot of the time.

Anyone else?

Are there any crossover Whiskey/Whisky aficionados?

So far my favorite candidates of top 5 that I've had would have to be (and notice they're all Scotches):

Balvenie Carribean Cask

Balvenie 15 year old

Oban 14

Johnny Blue

Glenlivet Nadurra 

Non Scotch:

Redbreast 12

Bushmills

Sounds funny but I really WANT to like a whiskey as much as a whisky... any suggestions?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I like ryes myself of the whisky family. Favorite of those is Whistle Pig. High West makes a good one too. 

Favorite but hard to get bourbon is Stagg Jr. But I also like the High West  American Prairie that is a little more affordable. 

Fav scotch is Balvenie doublewood 12. 

All those will set you back at least $70 a bottle. But I only have a couple drinks of them a month so it doesn't break the bank. Parties break the bank because my friends enjoy them!

I have imbibed many fine Scottish whiskys that I freely admit i have not developed a taste or appreciation of 

but it’s free and they insist

Bowmore, part of the Laphroaig empire apparently, was the most common

Edited by row_33

Another former neighbour was a Riesling enthusiast, I’m seen as good company to sit around and drink yer booze and talk of any topic.

I think I’m about $10,000 owing for top shelf beverages compared to my hostings. Get to know your emigrant neighbours with a good collection.

1.  Rye - $40-60 sweet spot

2.  Bourbon - $40-60 sweet spot

3.  Scotch - $75-100 sweet spot

4.  Irish - $75-100 sweet spot

5.  Japanese - $60-80 sweet spot

6.  Canadaian...wait, who really drinks this crap?

I have a bit of a problem.  I have 30 unique bottles right now and a few doubles.  Yikes.  Its not really a drinking problem, but a buying problem.  For example, yesterday I got Whistle Pig Old World Rye, Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition, and Michters 10 Bourbon.  $400 down the hole and I didn't even open any of them yet to give an opinion.

Favorites by category:

Rye - A Midwinters Night Dram (can't find anymore but I got 3 bottles this winter), Hillrock Double Cask, EH Taylor Rye

Bourbon - Weller 12, EH Taylore Single Barrell, Stagg Jr (Barrel proof for your burn and seems to be more available this year)

Scotch - Lagavulin 16 (best peated IMO for a reasonable price), Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve (not very peaty, more fruity)

Irish - Redbreast 15 (new to this area, my first one besides shots of jameson)

Japanese - Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky (again, my first bottle in this space but damn good.

If you don't like typical bourbons and you like bite I would recommend the following barrel proofs - Stagg Jr, Elijiah Craig Barrel Proof.  Something more "oaky" tasting that sweet - Woodford Reserve Double Oak.  Also, you may want to try the family of wheated bourbons.  The Weller line comes to mind, but it is difficult to find and highly marked up.  Knob Creek is readily available and wheated too.  I'd go 12 year or Single Barrel for them. 

I also have a few unicorns that are fantastic too, but they are so hard to find at a reasonable price I haven't listed them yet.  I think George T Stagg is amazing and if you can find it for $250 or under, I would jump all over it.  Unfortunately usually its more like $500 especially this time of year because everyone who sells it at a reasonable price has sold them already!

Edited by Mark80

scotch-internal.jpg

Based on this chart, the choices in the OP are not smoky (or peaty as they would say in Scotland).   In that case, the difference between Whisky and Whiskey is not that significant, it’s just a matter of preference.  Throw some Taliskar or Lagavulin into the mix, and then you’ve got a strong comparison. I have found that if I’m in the mood, I don’t hate the smoky ones, but they’re not my preferred choices. 

I definitely like the Balvenie and Bushmills choices in the OP. 

For anyone who is a true whisk(e)y  aficionado , this place in DC is a must next time ya in the DMV!

As a heads up, not only is the booze good, the food is great. 
http://jackrosediningsaloon.com/

and for those in Chicago , not only is this place an awesome Bills bar, but also a great whisky bar. They even have a collaboration whisky with Jack Rose. Tell em your a friend of our own @dave mcbride, and good things may happen! 

http://www.delilahschicago.com/

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm drinking whisky/whiskey, my #1 go-to is Glenmorangie Original 10. Simple, straight forward with a nice rich flavor. Not too "peaty" (which I find very difficult to enjoy). 

Cheers!

Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve is always solid for a Manhattan 

Crown Royal or Jim Beam pairs good with coke or Pepsi.   

Jameson’s and ginger gets it done too 

Scotch and Gin goes in the trash can 

Edited by Teddy KGB

8 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I like ryes myself of the whisky family. Favorite of those is Whistle Pig. High West makes a good one too. 

Favorite but hard to get bourbon is Stagg Jr. But I also like the High West  American Prairie that is a little more affordable. 

Fav scotch is Balvenie doublewood 12. 

All those will set you back at least $70 a bottle. But I only have a couple drinks of them a month so it doesn't break the bank. Parties break the bank because my friends enjoy them!

Doublewood 12 is probably like my 6th favorite.

Try the Caribbean Cask!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

1.  Rye - $40-60 sweet spot

2.  Bourbon - $40-60 sweet spot

3.  Scotch - $75-100 sweet spot

4.  Irish - $75-100 sweet spot

5.  Japanese - $60-80 sweet spot

6.  Canadaian...wait, who really drinks this crap?

I have a bit of a problem.  I have 30 unique bottles right now and a few doubles.  Yikes.  Its not really a drinking problem, but a buying problem.  For example, yesterday I got Whistle Pig Old World Rye, Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition, and Michters 10 Bourbon.  $400 down the hole and I didn't even open any of them yet to give an opinion.

Favorites by category:

Rye - A Midwinters Night Dram (can't find anymore but I got 3 bottles this winter), Hillrock Double Cask, EH Taylor Rye

Bourbon - Weller 12, EH Taylore Single Barrell, Stagg Jr (Barrel proof for your burn and seems to be more available this year)

Scotch - Lagavulin 16 (best peated IMO for a reasonable price), Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve (not very peaty, more fruity)

Irish - Redbreast 15 (new to this area, my first one besides shots of jameson)

Japanese - Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky (again, my first bottle in this space but damn good.

If you don't like typical bourbons and you like bite I would recommend the following barrel proofs - Stagg Jr, Elijiah Craig Barrel Proof.  Something more "oaky" tasting that sweet - Woodford Reserve Double Oak.  Also, you may want to try the family of wheated bourbons.  The Weller line comes to mind, but it is difficult to find and highly marked up.  Knob Creek is readily available and wheated too.  I'd go 12 year or Single Barrel for them. 

I also have a few unicorns that are fantastic too, but they are so hard to find at a reasonable price I haven't listed them yet.  I think George T Stagg is amazing and if you can find it for $250 or under, I would jump all over it.  Unfortunately usually its more like $500 especially this time of year because everyone who sells it at a reasonable price has sold them already!

I've tried Woodford Reserve and the Knob Creek Single Barrel and both still have that character I've tasted in every Bourbon that I don't like.

5 hours ago, Tony P said:

If I'm drinking whisky/whiskey, my #1 go-to is Glenmorangie Original 10. Simple, straight forward with a nice rich flavor. Not too "peaty" (which I find very difficult to enjoy). 

Cheers!

That's a good one! I love when Costco sells the gigantic bottle for 70 bucks!

• Like (+1) 1

Very much yes to single malts, particularly those from Highland and Islay.

Lagavulin 16 is probably my favorite.  Others high on the list include:

Oban 14

Glenmorangie 12 (w/ Sherry cask finish)

Talisker 18

Slowly been working my way through a bottle of Glenlivit -- which has never been high on my list, so really just freeing up space on the liquor shelf.  I've been sitting on a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask for a few years now;  plan to crack it open when my brother from the UK (who originally turned us onto scotch) visits in June, so very much looking forward to that.

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

and for those in Chicago , not only is this place an awesome Bills bar, but also a great whisky bar. They even have a collaboration whisky with Jack Rose. Tell em your a friend of our own @dave mcbride, and good things may happen! 

http://www.delilahschicago.com/

I keep telling you, the crowd there is too young for you.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Very much yes to single malts, particularly those from Highland and Islay.

Lagavulin 16 is probably my favorite.  Others high on the list include:

Oban 14

Glenmorangie 12 (w/ Sherry cask finish)

Talisker 18

Slowly been working my way through a bottle of Glenlivit -- which has never been high on my list, so really just freeing up space on the liquor shelf.  I've been sitting on a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask for a few years now;  plan to crack it open when my brother from the UK (who originally turned us onto scotch) visits in June, so very much looking forward to that.

I see you like them smoky/peaty! You must have some Scottish blood.   A few drops of water, or as the ice melts, makes them much more smooth. 

• Like (+1) 1

Glenmorangie 18 is a treat. Just put up a Signet as well and waiting for an occasion to go at it.

Also a fan of Glenfiddich Solera. Picked up a Vat 2 (blue tin) at customs - it's only available to international travel markets, supposedly.

Tend towards the sherried for regular use - Glenlivet or Lasanta.

Found the Doublewood (and Balvenie in general) overrated and overpriced.

Highland Park was great before they changed it.

Talisker and Talisker Storm are in the rotation but Ardbeg is just too much.

Laddie (Bruichladdich) is just too young and rough.

Dalwhinnie is sort of a blank canvas.

Also on deck but untapped (so no opinion yet) are Oban, Lagavulin.

Fan of the killer B's - Booker's, Baker's, Blanton's.

Jefferson Reserve is good stuff except for that awful Ocean.

Buffalo Trace, always have a couple bottles on hand, or Eagle Rare.

EH Taylor is another from BT Distillery, used to be able to grab a tall boy for ~50, it's gone crazy.

Angel's Envy is wonderful but their rye is orgasmic (also has gone crazy, used to be 70).

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I see you like them smoky/peaty! You must have some Scottish blood.   A few drops of water, or as the ice melts, makes them much more smooth. 

I haven't met a single malt I didn't like, but I don't water it down either.  Either stones or those fancy plastic cube thingies if I feel the need to cool it down.

Oban (I think) did make me do a double clutch, but I came to enjoy it.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1

On my 19th birthday a college buddy tried to buy me 19 shots of Wild Turkey. Whisky? Whiskey? Scotch? Rye?  Bourbon? I have no idea. It’s brown, that’s all I know. That night did not end well, as you might have guessed. That was the last time I had brown alcohol. 

I’ll have an occasional margarita but I’m a beer and mostly wine guy. Brown stuff scares me! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

How were you able to judge?

Probably a Saturday morning farmers market where all the options are available . I love taking my dog there when the weather is good. They have a lot of great options, but I can’t say I’ve stopped at every booth yet. Maybe next week..... 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

On my 19th birthday a college buddy tried to buy me 19 shots of Wild Turkey. Whisky? Whiskey? Scotch? Rye?  Bourbon? I have no idea. It’s brown, that’s all I know. That night did not end well, as you might have guessed. That was the last time I had brown alcohol. 

I’ll have an occasional margarita but I’m a beer and mostly wine guy. Brown stuff scares me! 

I had a similar experience with Peach Schnapps when I was a Freshman in college.

Glad it's just Peach Schnapps I can't drink anymore rather than something good!

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

This may be sacrilege but I find that Scotch has become overhyped and over priced like everything else in our culture. A good Irish gives me a better bang for the buck than Scotch 

Curious as to why you think this? Chivas and Johnny Red are probably about the same price or cheaper than Jameson's and Bushmills.

As for the "bang" part, I fairly consistently see Scotches 85 or 90 proof along with the Cask Strength ones like the aforementioned Glenlivet Nadurra that probably runs about 60 bucks and is between 105-110  proof...

so are you solely referring to the difference in taste?

If so, I understand... as Oscar Wilde once said, "taste is indefensible."

7 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Glenmorangie 18 is a treat. Just put up a Signet as well and waiting for an occasion to go at it.

Also a fan of Glenfiddich Solera. Picked up a Vat 2 (blue tin) at customs - it's only available to international travel markets, supposedly.

Tend towards the sherried for regular use - Glenlivet or Lasanta.

Found the Doublewood (and Balvenie in general) overrated and overpriced.

Highland Park was great before they changed it.

Talisker and Talisker Storm are in the rotation but Ardbeg is just too much.

Laddie (Bruichladdich) is just too young and rough.

Dalwhinnie is sort of a blank canvas.

Also on deck but untapped (so no opinion yet) are Oban, Lagavulin.

Fan of the killer B's - Booker's, Baker's, Blanton's.

Jefferson Reserve is good stuff except for that awful Ocean.

Buffalo Trace, always have a couple bottles on hand, or Eagle Rare.

EH Taylor is another from BT Distillery, used to be able to grab a tall boy for ~50, it's gone crazy.

Angel's Envy is wonderful but their rye is orgasmic (also has gone crazy, used to be 70).

Clearly you're more of a Bourbon fan then.

Definitely not me.

<------ As you can see in my picture big fan of Balvenie! Love the Caribbean Cask.  

Glenfiddich 15yr is my favorite bottle under $60.00. Best value in my opinion.

Glenmorangie 18 is awesome but then I drink it too fast. $140.00 too much to have a bender.

Aberlour is double wood has good value under $60.00

Oban 14 is rock solid.

Not a fan of the Peat. So Dalwhinnie 15 is about as much "smoke" as I can take.

Redbreast 15 is quite enjoyable.

Neat, with a tiny bit of water if its over 80 proof, is the only way to drink it.

• Like (+1) 1