Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

People seem to assume he's in line for a monster payday after the way he tore it up over the last 5 games of the season (25-506-5).  However, you won't find much buzz about him online, and I think he ends up signing something in the neighborhood of 3 years/$30M.  I'd be all for it.  He has the traits of a #1 WR, and his recent accomplishments are much more important to me than whatever he did or didn't do in the years prior.

If that’s the kind of contract is being handed out this off-season, God help us in resigning Tre White to anything remotely resembling a positive contract for the team. Perriman should be handed a prove it deal, not a borderline #1 wr deal.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

What about his backup that could be a lot more affordable?  Dennis Kelly who I think can compete to start or at vet least give us a swing option as a backup.

He had a good stretch in Tampa yet before next to nothing. Let's not forget John Brown was signed and replaced him in Baltimore.

Kelly played 350 snaps

71 overall

60.5 run block 

75.2 pass

I do wonder if they would bring him back if Conklin leaving 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:58 AM, BigBuff423 said:

Here's a list via Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/right-tackle/

Of these, a few that may come at a decent price should they make it to the market:

Bulaga - Spotrac has his Market Value at $10 mill AAV

Ifedi (Seattle)

Darryl Williams - who is flying under the radar this year so far, as opposed to last year when folks on this board were ready to sacrifice their first born for him.

Those are  few intriguing names that won't be "cheap" but won't break the bank like Conklin, JMO

Daryl Williams is one of my top FA hopefuls.... I liked that he lined up at OG last year due OL depth and injury. Solid OT though. Bring him in to compete with Ford for the RT spot, Feliciano goes to LG.

Between the 2 Oklahoma Alums, Williams and Ford, winner gets RT, the other gets RG.

7 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If that’s the kind of contract is being handed out this off-season, God help us in resigning Tre White to anything remotely resembling a positive contract for the team. Perriman should be handed a prove it deal, not a borderline #1 wr deal.

Oh, ye of little faith. What’s extraordinary today is chicken feed tomorrow. $200M Cap this year with likely huge spikes in the coming years. This lucrative owners offering is way out of the ordinary from CBA’s of the past, including a monstrous 10 deal! This HAS to be because of what the owners know the new coverage rights contracts will look like with escalators built in. I’m all for singing Tre’ to the biggest CB contract ever. I just hope it’s done this offseason before new viewing ops are revealed. It’ll be pennies on the dollar in a few years.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based on Marrone's stubbornness and the above Tweet from Ngakoue, this looks like another Leveon Bell situation developing. I just don't understand why teams do this. Even if it were the Bills and say, Tre or Milano (even though I don't think they'd do that), it doesn't make sense. Either give him the contract or let him go. Yes, that means you end up with nothing, but you knew that when you Drafted him. It's always a gamble and the team shouldn't get to hold the player prisoner just because they took him in the Draft.

The team has had 4(ish) years to build a culture, put other players in place, work on relationship building with the team and coaches, and get a contract in place BEFORE he's set to walk and now the power play. Yes, I also know it's in the CBA so players voted for it - but honestly, I think the Franchise Tag was put in place as a good faith effort to allow a player to play, but still pay him what he's due per market value at his position while working on a long-term deal. Not so the GM/Coach can hold the player back from moving on if both parties can't agree. I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Based on Marrone's stubbornness and the above Tweet from Ngakoue, this looks like another Leveon Bell situation developing. I just don't understand why teams do this. Even if it were the Bills and say, Tre or Milano (even though I don't think they'd do that), it doesn't make sense. Either give him the contract or let him go. Yes, that means you end up with nothing, but you knew that when you Drafted him. It's always a gamble and the team shouldn't get to hold the player prisoner just because they took him in the Draft.

The team has had 4(ish) years to build a culture, put other players in place, work on relationship building with the team and coaches, and get a contract in place BEFORE he's set to walk and now the power play. Yes, I also know it's in the CBA so players voted for it - but honestly, I think the Franchise Tag was put in place as a good faith effort to allow a player to play, but still pay him what he's due per market value at his position while working on a long-term deal. Not so the GM/Coach can hold the player back from moving on if both parties can't agree. I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

Players should demand in the new CBA that teams aren’t allowed to get away with this anymore...it’s not what the franchise tag was intended for...either franchise and keep the player or let him go and try to get a comp pick down the road...

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Players should demand in the new CBA that teams aren’t allowed to get away with this anymore...it’s not what the franchise tag was intended for...either franchise and keep the player or let him go and try to get a comp pick down the road...

Yep, the tag was supposed to be for players the team intended to sign long term but needed more time to do so, not a way keep a guy from FA who doesn’t want to be there and has expressed no interest in signing long term. 

It could end up going the way of the Clowney deal where they are just trying to set up a trade, but it’s going to be a limited market of teams who are willing to part with the asset(s) AND the enormous contract AND it has to be a team Yannick is willing to go to or he won’t sign the tag

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep, the tag was supposed to be for players the team intended to sign long term but needed more time to do so, not a way keep a guy from FA who doesn’t want to be there and has expressed no interest in signing long term. 

That’s what they said, but really it’s about protecting teams’ investments.  Let’s fact it, it does help the final product by helping with continuity and parity.  The tag rules suck for young teams with cap space that are trying to find difference makers (like the Bills now), but are pretty damn good for teams with established playmakers (like the Bills should be soon). 

27 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a player that can stroke a pen and be guaranteed $18M. Yes, he should have a chance to hit the open market if his team doesn’t want to give him a long-term deal, but he has his path for recourse if he chooses to use it. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They’ll get at least what Seattle and KC got for Clark and Ford.  I don’t have a problem with the tag.  I think it works well.  

I wouldn’t offer more than a 2nd, considering the financial compensation...but that’s just me...

I think it's worth considering giving up a future 2nd round pick for him. Would fill arguably our biggest need and there aren't many options to do so out there.

Edit: Something like a 2020 5th and 2021 2nd would be a realistic price to pay.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:00 AM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Recommendations on Italian restaurants in NYC are accepted.  Thanks.

This is my favorite pizza in Manhattan hands down. The building is incredible too (inside a renovated church that was abandoned before the area around Times Sq became what it is now), definitely worth a visit. 

https://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/about-us

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills don't have the long term money to pay the guy as a free agent.

Don't we? We have over $80 million in available cap space and the cap goes up $10 million per year. If we pay him an average of $20 million per year his salary will be covered by salary cap increases in just 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1