The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

after your super bowl party thread we are all shocked by your rule...

based on that thread, some people here would take a flame thrower to someone that reclined in their face! 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

person that tries to deplane prior to their row = worse than the other 2

I almost feel pity for the early deplaner. They basically make it up three rows and then come to a screeching halt. How disappointing! 

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

based on that thread, some people here would take a flame thrower to someone that reclined in their face! 

I almost feel pity for the early deplaner. They basically make it up three rows and then come to a screeching halt. How disappointing! 

I have found they frown on flame throwers, so I squirt my tiny toothpaste on their heads. Hey!  It’s all I got! 

As for the early deplaners.....where the hell do they think they are going to go? I don’t care if you have a connection to make, it is what it is..... there is no early escape. Have you never been on a plane before? 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have found they frown on flame throwers, so I squirt my tiny toothpaste on their heads. Hey!  It’s all I got! 

As for the early deplaners.....where the hell do they think they are going to go? I don’t care if you have a connection to make, it it what it is.....

that’s the thing— an early deplaner will never make it out! It’s an unwise move. 

29 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

And they become public enemy number 1 for saving 11 seconds. I despise that person so much!! We’ve all been sitting on this flight for _____ hours and we all want to get off of this damn plane. We get off from the 1st row to the last row; you don’t get to skip a handful of rows.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So glad that you brought this topic up!! It’s something that we need to discuss. My opinion is going to be weak though.

They are both a-holes. I fly a decent amount (probably a trip and a half a month) and am a regular sized man. I will NEVER recline my seat because I hate when someone does it to me. No one likes that. If everyone took the “do unto others” approach we’d never have to worry about reclined seats. 

Now the guy is just an a-hole. It would be one thing if he quickly bumped it pretty hard “inadvertently” sending a message. The pettiness of the constant banging shows that he needs to get a life. 

So to recap:

seat recliner person = terrible

punch seat recliner person = terrible\

person that tries to deplane prior to their row = worse than the other 2

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.

• Like (+1) 2

On some of the smaller jets, if you recline then the bottom of the seat shifts forward so you’re losing your own leg room.  I think that is a clever way to allow you to recline with minimal impact on the people behind you.  

I rarely recline my seat, unless it’s a long night time flight and practically everybody reclines. 

My last few flights have been on United and seems like they cut the amount of recline to like one inch from two.  It seems much less than before and more tolerable.  Anyone else notice this?

I only recline if I intend to rest and straighten it up when I'm not.  Only thing that I dislike is the person that keeps it reclined every possible moment like it's their right to monopolize that extra space.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

As for the early deplaners.....where the hell do they think they are going to go? I don’t care if you have a connection to make, it it what it is.....

Guys plowing kids, women, the elderly, anyone, back into their seats to deplane ahead of those in rows ahead of them. WTF is that rudeness ?

I've body blocked quite a few and will continue to do so. And then, if the opportunity is there, I let out anyone in front of me out who is still waiting.

My wife hates when I do the body block thing, but I don't care. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Guys plowing kids and women back into their seats though they're in rows ahead of them.

I have body blocked quite a few and will continue to do so.

My wife hates it, but I don't care.

My related  “people are/can be good” story happened after the home opener last year.  A young lady at my gate was clearly VERY anxious. She was from WNY and moving back to Florida after a brief try to live in WNY again. Her anxiety was beyond “normal”, if you know what I mean. It touched me. 

Anyway,  she was a row ahead and afraid she would not make her connection in Atlanta as an inexperienced flier. ATL can be intimidating. As soon as the seat belt off ding happened at the gate I jumped up, went a couple rows back to my carry-on apologizing to one guy that I was trying to help someone else catch a connection. (I had all day, I was just headed to the Uber lot.)

Apparently people heard my quick apology and explanation (I even got a “well done”), and the aisle parted so I could get this young lady to her terminal and gate.  It was beautiful and made me feel better about us as a group. I honestly have never seen anything like that getting off a plane. 

I hope she’s OK. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

My related  “people are/can be good” story happened after the home opener last year.  A young lady at my gate was clearly VERY anxious. She was from WNY and moving back to Florida after a brief try to live in WNY again. Her anxiety was beyond “normal”, if you know what I mean. It touched me. 

Anyway,  she was a row ahead and afraid she would not make her connection in Atlanta as an inexperienced flier. ATL can be intimidating. As soon as the seat belt off ding happened at the gate I jumped up, went a couple rows back to my carry-on apologizing to one guy that I was trying to help someone else catch a connection. (I had all day, I was just headed to the Uber lot.)

Apparently people heard my quick apology and explanation (I even got a “well done”), and the aisle parted so I could get this young lady to her terminal and gate.  It was beautiful and made me feel better about us as a group. I honestly have never seen anything like that getting off a plane. 

I hope she’s OK. 

Hmmmm,.very interesting!

I use this excuse all the time and nobody helps me.  I must be doing something wrong. You met me, what am I doing wrong?

I am a very likable and nice guy.  Something is wrong here, very, very wrong!

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Guys plowing kids, women, the elderly, anyone, back into their seats to deplane ahead of those in rows ahead of them. WTF is that rudeness ?

I've body blocked quite a few and will continue to do so. And then, if the opportunity is there, I let out anyone in front of me out who is still waiting.

My wife hates when I do the body block thing, but I don't care. 

My husband will body block people. Unlike your wife, I appreciate it as he always sticks me at the window and I swear I am invisible when trying to exit my seat.

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

If you get upset over someone reclining their seat, you are just a douchebag looking for an excuse to get worked up over something completely insignificant.

If it’s that big a problem, fly first class.

Exactly.....it may be annoying, but how are you going to get pissed off at someone for using the seat for what it was designed to do. 

I like to recline as far back as humanly possible. I even sit up in the seat so that I can bend my head back over the edge of the seat so that the person seated behind me has lock eyes with me if they feel like looking forward.

as most have mentioned, it's just a matter of being considerate.  i'm not a big person, so it never bothers me when someone reclines.  that being said, i always think they're *****.  i many recline just a hair for my back's sake, but like just jack mentioned, it's only so i'm not sitting straight up.  

i've had good luck lately on planes with people around me.  we've taken small kids on flights, and other passengers have been helpful, understanding, and even complimentary.  one lady even offered to watch my daughter while we took things off the plane.  it goes both ways.  on another flight when i was by myself, i had an isle in a three seat row.  one guy was in the window seat and the middle was open. sure enough a guy who was in the 6'3"-6'4" range, with a broken leg, on crutches, was our middle seat friend.  i wasn't going to make that guy sit in the middle, so i offered him my seat.  with the look of gratitude he gave me, you would have thought I offered him my wife.

47 minutes ago, teef said:

as most have mentioned, it's just a matter of being considerate.  i'm not a big person, so it never bothers me when someone reclines.  that being said, i always think they're *****.  i many recline just a hair for my back's sake, but like just jack mentioned, it's only so i'm not sitting straight up.  

i've had good luck lately on planes with people around me.  we've taken small kids on flights, and other passengers have been helpful, understanding, and even complimentary.  one lady even offered to watch my daughter while we took things off the plane.  it goes both ways.  on another flight when i was by myself, i had an isle in a three seat row.  one guy was in the window seat and the middle was open. sure enough a guy who was in the 6'3"-6'4" range, with a broken leg, on crutches, was our middle seat friend.  i wasn't going to make that guy sit in the middle, so i offered him my seat.  with the look of gratitude he gave me, you would have thought I offered him my wife.

Is this on the table?