The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I suppose that a quick look behind you to ensure that the person isn't trying to do work on a laptop or something is one thing, and I guess I can get behind the idea of asking the person behind you if they mind, 

All that's really needed is a "heads up, i am going to recline"..ask and someone may say "why yes, yes i do"...but i do believe common courtesy just to let the fellow behind you know in case he has a laptop open, or drinks etc that may spill when you recline.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

i just do not see it as that big a risk. Granted, i am never "drunk"...i have never even been questioned. Every once in a while person seat next to me will ask about it, and i say with all seriousness I hate takeoff and they can see in my eyes better I have a pop then be a sweaty mess for the next 10 minutes LOL.

Have had way more people in bad turbulence lean over and say"ya got an extra one of those'?  

Evidently the benefit to you is worth the risk.

What I am saying is that if any passenger reports it to a flight attendant, and wants to make a bit of noise about it, as everyone seems to be doing now on every single perceived "affront," that flight attendant is going to lose his/her job if they don't react to it, even though they might not care about the consumption.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

You're operating under a very false assumption. 

I couldn't care less if somebody in front of me puts their seat back and there appears to be several folks in this thread who feel the same way.

Until recently I had always operated under the assumption that nobody cared if I put my seat back because I didn't care if the person in front of me did it.

So the "do unto others" approach does not work here because different folks have different views on what they view as intolerable.

No one likes the seat being reclined into them!! People tolerate it but no one says, “oh good, I’m glad that guy reclined into me.” If you didn’t know that people hated it you must have been shocked by this controversy. 

14 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

With all the talk about this topic I've found that the side you're on seems to correlate pretty closely with how tall you are.

As a taller person with long legs, I hate it when people recline and I almost never recline myself (what's the point - you get about 5 degrees in coach these days).

I have had the person in front of me recline and it sucks - my knees are pretty much all the way up to the seat in front of me to begin with, so when someone reclines the seat is actually digging into my knees - it's painful and goes beyond the minimal comfort I think I should be afforded as a paying passenger, That said, it's an airline problem, not the problem of the person in front of me - they were sold a seat they were told they could recline. I'd love to see the airlines just block all seats from reclining so that everybody knew what to expect and we didn't have these battles breaking out - they're ridiculous.

I'm 6'6" and kind of used to being squeezed in transportation situations, what seems just fine to me always gets a laugh from co-workers or friends.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

All that's really needed is a "heads up, i am going to recline"..ask and someone may say "why yes, yes i do"...but i do believe common courtesy just to let the fellow behind you know in case he has a laptop open, or drinks etc that may spill when you recline.

There's another possibility.  If the person behind the recliner happens to be leaning forward for some reason, they can get smacked in the face with that chair.  It was a perfect storm of randomness, but I've had it happen to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm a bit  late to this discussion, but...

I never even CONSIDERED the idea that people might find reclining on an airplane to be impolite. I'm pretty easily irritated when it comes to flight etiquette. I will speak up against people taking off their shoes, cutting their fingernails, putting their feet up on the TV screen in the seatback, etc.

I figure that, due to my being easily irritated by all manners of airplane rudeness, I'm pretty attuned/sensitive to the minutiae of airplane passenger behavior. Even with that being the case, it just hadn't really occurred to me that exercising a built-in option provided by the airline on a flight for which I paid hundreds of dollars could/would be considered rude or in poor form. Maybe it's because I take a lot of red eye flights or because I often get lower back pain on long flights and, thus, recline slightly, but...people get mad at you for reclining your seat? Really?!

I suppose that a quick look behind you to ensure that the person isn't trying to do work on a laptop or something is one thing, and I guess I can get behind the idea of asking the person behind you if they mind, but again, I also don't really feel like I should have to do that. Reclining is a built in option provided BY the airline, and sitting completely upright at the angle of an airplane seat for six straight hours is torturous.

One last thing: Both of the people in the viral video were being immature goons. The guy punching the seat repeatedly was DEFINITELY in the wrong and was being a childish twerp, but the lady in front of him should have notified the flight attendant rather than videotaping him with her phone. I'd say that of the two, he was MORE in the wrong, but they were both in the wrong.

Logic- this is my stance.  I travel a lot...cross country every month plus a couple more shorter trips each month.  I had a Macbook screen crushed in a seat recline about a year ago.   I have apple care and most of my stuff was in the iCloud so no big deal (thanks Reno, NV Apple Store team).  The person apologized and I gritted my teeth and said-- "its fine"...but just a courtesy look behind would be great.  I never recline and probably won't unless I am in pain or something.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I don’t get the people with paper boarding passes. Just use the boarding pass on the app. It’s mind blowing to see so many paper boarding passes these days 

Paper passes for me, even when not checking a bag. When checking luggage, it is a great place to attach the luggage tag receipt(s). The attendant at the airline's desk will actually tape it to the back when they scan in your luggage.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Been doing since 07 when i started flying a lot for work. Has to be in the airplane bottles, or really any container under 3 ozs. I always have at least 7-10 in my backpack when traveling, have never once been asked about it or asked to dispose of them  by TSA. On the plane , just don't be an ass about it, drink discretely from the bottle or very discretely with mixer..and dont get drunk!

@sherpa, why do think such a bad idea? 

this is what i do. didn't realize there was a fine for it. but unless you're an idiot don't get caught.  i will also grab a coke or something at the airport store and mix there before the ride.  i can get a bit nervous before flights at times.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one likes the seat being reclined into them!! People tolerate it but no one says, “oh good, I’m glad that guy reclined into me.” If you didn’t know that people hated it you must have been shocked by this controversy. 

Nobody "likes" standing in a line either but they don't assume that everybody else in the line is a a terrible person because of it.

And if a pretty girl in a low cut blouse reclined in front of you I bet your definition of like would change with startling speed. 

I'm just saying that assuming that every other person thinks exactly like you do inevitably leads to problems all around.

Shock is probably too strong a word, but I've definitely been surprised to see how fired up people are about it.

I don't have to travel for work and I like to drive across the US at least once every year so I am rarely even on planes. It's probably been 10 years since I flew and having the seat reclined in front of me didn't seem like an exceptionally heavy burden to bear at that time; maybe it's different now.

I guess I sort of assumed it was another manifestation of a culture where folks seem to be looking for reasons to be an aggrieved victim. Or maybe seating space has shrunk so much as airlines worship at the altar of the almighty dollar that folks are too worried about the effects to bother addressing the cause.

Either way, we are pretty much ###### as a culture and a country. :lol:

33 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

this is what i do. didn't realize there was a fine for it. but unless you're an idiot don't get caught.  i will also grab a coke or something at the airport store and mix there before the ride.  i can get a bit nervous before flights at times.  

like the coke idea! 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

it's not that bad.... :D

It's been over 10 years, but the Air Canada planes had significantly more leg room than the US planes.  I'm about 6'1 and it felt like a luxury!  I can't sit with my legs straight on most US flights, AC plane I could with space to boot! 

50 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Logic- this is my stance.  I travel a lot...cross country every month plus a couple more shorter trips each month.  I had a Macbook screen crushed in a seat recline about a year ago.   I have apple care and most of my stuff was in the iCloud so no big deal (thanks Reno, NV Apple Store team).  The person apologized and I gritted my teeth and said-- "its fine"...but just a courtesy look behind would be great.  I never recline and probably won't unless I am in pain or something.

How did it get crushed?  Did it fall off the tray?  

I recline.  I don’t mind if others recline in front of me.  I don’t care if others behind me care if I recline my seat.  I paid for the seat, it declines, I’m going to recline the mofo if I please.

That said, if the person seated behind me really had a problem with me reclining, they would get much better results talking to me like a grown up than punching the back of my head rest.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i just do not see it as that big a risk. Granted, i am never "drunk"...i have never even been questioned. Every once in a while person seat next to me will ask about it, and i say with all seriousness I hate takeoff and they can see in my eyes better I have a pop then be a sweaty mess for the next 10 minutes LOL.

Have had way more people in bad turbulence lean over and say"ya got an extra one of those'?  

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/can-you-bring-your-own-booze-on-a-plane-and-make-drinks

Up to $11,000 fine.   Fly Jet Blue, they allow it if under 24% and you let their flight staff serve it to you!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/can-you-bring-your-own-booze-on-a-plane-and-make-drinks

Up to $11,000 fine.   Fly Jet Blue, they allow it if under 24% and you let their flight staff serve it to you!

Wow, $11K! Have never had an issue. Sounds like the 1 woman who did was told "knock it off" and she kept drinking!

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

It's been over 10 years, but the Air Canada planes had significantly more leg room than the US planes.  I'm about 6'1 and it felt like a luxury!  I can't sit with my legs straight on most US flights, AC plane I could with space to boot! 

How did it get crushed?  Did it fall off the tray?  

I had the tray table down and was working on the Macbook on the tray table.  I was writing so was concentrating...When the woman reclined the screen got wedged under the tray table hook and the upper edge of her seat/the tray table insert came down on the screen, bent it and cracked the glass...I guess i used the word "crushed" to liberally ? but that's what happened.  The woman wasn't large and didn't recline with huge force -- it just happened....I had a glass protector so it didn't shatter.

I am really cautious now-- ready to close the lid on the Macbook whenever the person in front of me even adjusts in their seat.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I had the tray table down and was working on Mac on the tray table.  I was writing so was concentrating...When the woman reclined the screen got wedged under the tray table hook and the upper edge of her seat came down on the screen, bent it and cracked the glass...I guess i used the word "crushed" to liberally ? but that's what happened.

As your luck would have it, our very own @Chandler#81 is a mastur at fixing cracked Apple product screens!

• Haha (+1) 2