The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Guys plowing kids, women, the elderly, anyone, back into their seats to deplane ahead of those in rows ahead of them. WTF is that rudeness ?

I've body blocked quite a few and will continue to do so. And then, if the opportunity is there, I let out anyone in front of me out who is still waiting.

My wife hates when I do the body block thing, but I don't care. 

I've started to subtly block people too.  The people who jump up and rush the front the second the plane stops, that's one thing, but the last second rushers are the worst.  I had one recently where I was back in the last 3rd of the plane.  Seats emptied out normally one row at a time.  But then when it got to be my chance, the guy directly behind me suddenly jumped up and forced his way past me.  And of course he then had to get a bag from the overhead that was way too big and was stuck.

Never again, I'm blocking those tools.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Guys plowing kids, women, the elderly, anyone, back into their seats to deplane ahead of those in rows ahead of them. WTF is that rudeness ?

I've body blocked quite a few and will continue to do so. And then, if the opportunity is there, I let out anyone in front of me out who is still waiting.

My wife hates when I do the body block thing, but I don't care. 

Not all heroes wear capes

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Exactly.....it may be annoying, but how are you going to get pissed off at someone for using the seat for what it was designed to do. 

Your car can drive 200 MPH too, it doesn’t mean you should do it

15 hours ago, Needle said:

I have reclined and have had others recline in front of me. It never bothered me and I never would have thought it was being rude to others. I don't fully understand the complaint of losing a couple inches of dead space. It seems like plenty of people agree that it's rude, so that's enough for me to ditch it.

My complaint is not that theperson in front reclines, it is the person in front an hour into the flight who just hits the button and slams back with no warning, blowing up your laptop. And yes that has happened to me..2x after politely asking as we settle in and i tap the person in front and say " i am going to be doing some work on my laptop, no worries if you recline, but if you could kindly give me a heads up it would be greatly appreciated"...they they just forget and boom goes the laptop

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And they become public enemy number 1 for saving 11 seconds. I despise that person so much!! We’ve all been sitting on this flight for _____ hours and we all want to get off of this damn plane. We get off from the 1st row to the last row; you don’t get to skip a handful of rows.

I will say that I like, and respect, when for some reason you have delayed at your destination but you know your connecting airport is on time...I like when he attendants plead with people.."if you have thirty minutes or more, please let people with tight connections deplane first". Everyone then seems to get it, and i am fine to sit an extra 7 minutes if it means some one makes their flight. 

Couple summers ago we missed a connection to Rome bu 2 minutesthat ended up  costing us 36 hours ...minutes matter sometime

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My Airplane Seat Incident:

I don't like when I get reclined on and I try not to recline on others. But it is what it is.

Last summer a guy in front of me turned around and asked me whether I minded if he reclined. For the first time ever, I didn't mind at all.

If i am going to recline, I ALWAYS turn around and dont ask for permission, but just give a heads up I am going to recline. I think I have reclined 2 times in my past 100 flights? And thats has been only cause i have to get work done, person in front me is reclined, and i have to get room to get laptop open

I'd ban them both from my airline. 

He gets banned for his behavior on the plane.  She gets banned for her behavior after the incident.

These two people didn't even make an effort at being chill passengers to one another, and that's why they both would never fly with me again.  

I pay for the "extra legroom" seats in Coach. It's worth my sanity when some a-hole thinks they're the only one on the plane. And I get free booze, and it comes QUICKLY. 

@Augie @Royale with Cheese @Boyst62

The only time I recline is if I know the plane isn't full and there is NO ONE behind me once the flight takes off. 

5 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I pay for the "extra legroom" seats in Coach. It's worth my sanity when some a-hole thinks they're the only one on the plane. And I get free booze, and it comes QUICKLY. 

The only time I recline is if I know the plane isn't full and there is NO ONE behind me once the flight takes off. 

I flew Alligient to Nashville, and they have these newfangled really thin seats...and i loved em! Gave you more legroom. I loved that flight. Would 100% fly them again!

And i get free booze too..i bring enough airplane bottles on to sink a ship!

And next time, make sure you go drinking with me! 20 somethin hot bartenders with Daddy Issues all dig me, never wait for a drink! Might be that i tip big too, unlike those those 3 cheap bastards you mention above 

Edited by plenzmd1

you have to surrender 100% to the hassles and nonsense that a plane flight is going to give you, especially if you have voluntarily entered into the flight

some days you don't have the mojo to handle it gracefully, some days the hassles would destroy the patience of everyone involved

don't be the person who is remembered as going overboard the most...

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you have to surrender 100% to the hassles and nonsense that a plane flight is going to give you, especially if you have voluntarily entered into the flight

some days you don't have the mojo to handle it gracefully, some days the hassles would destroy the patience of everyone involved

don't be the person who is remembered as going overboard the most...

this is where i'm at with it.  sometimes flying is just awful and you have to deal.

22 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

see...i've paid for the upgrade for the free booze, and it was a complete waste of money.  they started the cart service late, and only came to me once.  I literally didn't have an opportunity to have more than one drink.  it's happened twice to me.

21 minutes ago, teef said:

this is where i'm at with it.  sometimes flying is just awful and you have to deal.

see...i've paid for the upgrade for the free booze, and it was a complete waste of money.  they started the cart service late, and only came to me once.  I literally didn't have an opportunity to have more than one drink.  it's happened twice to me.

BRING YOUR OWN BOOZE ON THE PLANE!!!!

it is 100% legal to bring as many of those airplane bottles that ya want on the plane!. Not legal to drink them, but if discrete no one will give a rats behind!  I don't like takeoff and turbulence, and that's when i need a little liquid courage. Only to have it at those times is to have in your bag!

Also, for you single guys having one of those as an extra is a good conversation starter with the young ladies who may be seated in a row with you!

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

it is 100% legal to bring as many of those airplane bottles that ya want on the plane!. Not legal to drink them, but if discrete no one will give a rats behind!  I don't like takeoff and turbulence, and that's when i need a little liquid courage. Only to have it at those times is to have in your bag!

Also, for you single guys having one of those as an extra is a good conversation starter with the young ladies who may be seated in a row with you!

This is REALLY bad advice.

If you plan drinking your own alcohol on an airplane, bring your checkbook.

Edited by sherpa

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i had no idea they let you do this.  they even let you bring it on in your carry on?  hell if i can bring it on, no one will even see me making mixed drink.  i just figured carrying any booze through airport security was a no no.

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I will NEVER recline my seat because I hate when someone does it to me. No one likes that. If everyone took the “do unto others” approach we’d never have to worry about reclined seats

You're operating under a very false assumption. 

I couldn't care less if somebody in front of me puts their seat back and there appears to be several folks in this thread who feel the same way.

Until recently I had always operated under the assumption that nobody cared if I put my seat back because I didn't care if the person in front of me did it.

So the "do unto others" approach does not work here because different folks have different views on what they view as intolerable.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, sherpa said:

This is REALLY bad advice.

If you plan drinking your own alcohol on an airplane, bring your checkbook.

17 minutes ago, teef said:

i had no idea they let you do this.  they even let you bring it on in your carry on?  hell if i can bring it on, no one will even see me making mixed drink.  i just figured carrying any booze through airport security was a no no.

Been doing since 07 when i started flying a lot for work. Has to be in the airplane bottles, or really any container under 3 ozs. I always have at least 7-10 in my backpack when traveling, have never once been asked about it or asked to dispose of them  by TSA. On the plane , just don't be an ass about it, drink discretely from the bottle or very discretely with mixer..and dont get drunk!

@sherpa, why do think such a bad idea? 

• Like (+1) 1

With all the talk about this topic I've found that the side you're on seems to correlate pretty closely with how tall you are.

As a taller person with long legs, I hate it when people recline and I almost never recline myself (what's the point - you get about 5 degrees in coach these days).

I have had the person in front of me recline and it sucks - my knees are pretty much all the way up to the seat in front of me to begin with, so when someone reclines the seat is actually digging into my knees - it's painful and goes beyond the minimal comfort I think I should be afforded as a paying passenger, That said, it's an airline problem, not the problem of the person in front of me - they were sold a seat they were told they could recline. I'd love to see the airlines just block all seats from reclining so that everybody knew what to expect and we didn't have these battles breaking out - they're ridiculous.

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Been doing since 07 when i started flying a lot for work. Has to be in the airplane bottles, or really any container under 3 ozs. I always have at least 7-10 in my backpack when traveling, have never once been asked about it or asked to dispose of them  by TSA. On the plane , just don't be an ass about it, drink discretely from the bottle or very discretely with mixer..and dont get drunk!

@sherpa, why do think such a bad idea? 

Because it is illegal, and while you may have gotten away with it, its liking drinking and driving.

You can do it a hundred times with no repercussions, but get caught, and the fines are huge.

What you may not be considering is the dynamic and context of doing that.

If one person spots you, smells you or anything else that points to this, and they report it to a flight attendant, they could lose their job if they don't act on it and the "reporter" decides to may a case of it.

If you're willing to bet that much on your fellow passengers, that's your call.

I'm a bit  late to this discussion, but...

I never even CONSIDERED the idea that people might find reclining on an airplane to be impolite. I'm pretty easily irritated when it comes to flight etiquette. I will speak up against people taking off their shoes, cutting their fingernails, putting their feet up on the TV screen in the seatback, etc.

I figure that, due to my being easily irritated by all manners of airplane rudeness, I'm pretty attuned/sensitive to the minutiae of airplane passenger behavior. Even with that being the case, it just hadn't really occurred to me that exercising a built-in option provided by the airline on a flight for which I paid hundreds of dollars could/would be considered rude or in poor form. Maybe it's because I take a lot of red eye flights or because I often get lower back pain on long flights and, thus, recline slightly, but...people get mad at you for reclining your seat? Really?!

I suppose that a quick look behind you to ensure that the person isn't trying to do work on a laptop or something is one thing, and I guess I can get behind the idea of asking the person behind you if they mind, but again, I also don't really feel like I should have to do that. Reclining is a built in option provided BY the airline, and sitting completely upright at the angle of an airplane seat for six straight hours is torturous.

One last thing: Both of the people in the viral video were being immature goons. The guy punching the seat repeatedly was DEFINITELY in the wrong and was being a childish twerp, but the lady in front of him should have notified the flight attendant rather than videotaping him with her phone. I'd say that of the two, he was MORE in the wrong, but they were both in the wrong.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

Because it is illegal, and while you may have gotten away with it, its liking drinking and driving.

You can do it a hundred times with no repercussions, but get caught, and the fines are huge.

What you may not be considering is the dynamic and context of doing that.

If one person spots you, smells you or anything else that points to this, and they report it to a flight attendant, they could lose their job if they don't act on it and the "reporter" decides to may a case of it.

If you're willing to bet that much on your fellow passengers, that's your call.

i just do not see it as that big a risk. Granted, i am never "drunk"...i have never even been questioned. Every once in a while person seat next to me will ask about it, and i say with all seriousness I hate takeoff and they can see in my eyes better I have a pop then be a sweaty mess for the next 10 minutes LOL.

Have had way more people in bad turbulence lean over and say"ya got an extra one of those'?  

1 hour ago, teef said:

they started the cart service late, and only came to me once.  I literally didn't have an opportunity to have more than one drink.  it's happened twice to me.

You need to be a professional, like @plenzmd1 and I......you bring a couple small bottles with you, have those discreetly, and then if it's a shorter flight, you ask for TWO drinks when they come around. They never question it if you're in a seat that paid for it.

• Like (+1) 2