Cover 1 evaluation of Laviska Shenault and in-depth overview of injury history

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am starting to see him mocked to the Bills quote a bit. Joe Marino thinks he is the best fit for the Bills out of this WR draft class. Very thorough analysis of this prospect. 

There are lots of fits for the Bills in this WR class.

The Bills might not have to worry about Shenault making it to 22 though.

Over the years, Shenault’s physical strength began to catch up with his mental strength. The ‘late bloomer’ began lifting with the offensive linemen instead of the receivers because he was lifting so much more than his position group, it simply took too much time in between sets to swap the weights out. While his Colorado teammates refer to him as a ‘freak,’ Shenault believes that he more closely resembles the Incredible Hulk or Dr. Strange because “Incredible Hulk’s extra strong, can barely be stopped, and Dr. Strange can pretty much do anything.” These two characters encapsulate what he is going to bring to the team that drafts him. He can literally do it all. He is a weapon; a positionless player who may carry the title of receiver, but a guy that can do whatever you want him to.

One of Shenault’s finer traits is his ability to track the football. He does a great job of tracing the trajectory of the ball from the moment it leaves the quarterback’s hand. He continually adjusts to the throw’s intended destination, and he has shown the ability to catch any type of pass away from his frame. That’s a testament to his hand-eye coordination, hand strength and finger dexterity, which was refined during his basketball days. Even though he may be fully extended at the catch point, he has the wherewithal to quickly tuck the ball so that he can then create after the catch or prepare for contact with the turf.

Not my top 3 choice's but he's the guy pundits and everyone mocks to us

He was used as a jack of all trades, he ran reverses, wildcat, play in the slot and outwide

So he's versatile but he isn't amazing at any position right now. I don't think he is a top end X in the league and his best attribute is running with the ball in his hands

I don't expect him to run a super fast time... 4.49 the fastest I expect and he just isn't a clean route runner yet

In such a deep class I'd rather take a WR who is polished and runs crisp routes

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He looks a lot faster than 4.49 to me

https://twitter.com/coachbirdd/status/1035884123615883264?s=19

I agree that he looks fast in the tape that I’ve seen, but I am very concerned that many of his touches are on passes within 5 yards of LOS and on run plays.  Does he have the tools to become a good WR?  Yes, I think so, but I worry that his route running and experience are limited to the point that he won’t be much of an asset in year one and there is risk that he never develops as a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He looks a lot faster than 4.49 to me

https://twitter.com/coachbirdd/status/1035884123615883264?s=19

From the 40 to the 20 that definitely doesn't look like 4.4 speed to me

A 4.50 isn't even slow and that's what I'd expect him to run

Sammy Watkins ran a 4.44 and Shenault is not close to that speed

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That's just it. I distinctly remember everyone mocking Vince Wilfork to us and we instead chose Lee Evans.....mocks don't mean jack.

To be fair that was a long time ago. Oliver and Allen were frequently mocked to the Bills. I’m not saying anyone Knows who they will take. But it’s ok to look at potential guys who could be “the guy” based on positional need and scheme fit when good analysis is put out there. 

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was used as a jack of all trades, he ran reverses, wildcat, play in the slot and outwide

So he's versatile but he isn't amazing at any position right now. I don't think he is a top end X in the league and his best attribute is running with the ball in his hands

I don't expect him to run a super fast time... 4.49 the fastest I expect and he just isn't a clean route runner yet

The reason Joe Marino thinks he’s a good fit is his versatility and that he didn’t play with a great passer so had to be more of a playmaker on his own /  (he was comparing him to Higgins and the Bama guys ) 

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So who do you want?

I wouldn’t like this pick in the first round. This WR class is deep. This kid doesn’t have elite height, speed, or route running. It’s a bigger version of Curtis Samuel. 

Honestly he looks like a running back with good hands. 

If i has to choose between the Shenault mocks and the Swift mock i’d take Swift. 

Id hate both though. Don’t go WR in the first unless you have a belief he is a legit top 15 WR in year two or three. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Deboll looks at this kid and see's all sorts of ways to use him....he is a weapon

This is my first round pick.....Tee Higgins would be 2nd

You can find all sorts of ways to use Cordarrelle Patterson too but he wasn't worth a first

Shenault is great value in the second not round 1 of an NFL draft

Pretty easy to watch him play and see how Daboll would love to have him. I’m concerned he’s not really a good fit for the biggest hole in our WR corps, that being the X. Struggles with press coverage and struggles with route running.

I’d be happy to take him if we address the X spot before the draft but I don’t want to take him and pencil him in there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't mind Ceedee Lamb or Henry Ruggs or Justin Jefferson

From Beane’s few drafts I could easily him pointing a finger at one of these three and then moving up 7 or 8 slots to get them. 

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Pretty easy to watch him play and see how Daboll would love to have him. I’m concerned he’s not really a good fit for the biggest hole in our WR corps, that being the X. Struggles with press coverage and struggles with route running.

I’d be happy to take him if we address the X spot before the draft but I don’t want to take him and pencil him in there. 

Exactly right. I just don’t see how they can properly address the x before their first round pick. The FA class is much less than exciting. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't mind Ceedee Lamb or Henry Ruggs or Justin Jefferson

OK, so I've heard someone called Ceedee Lamb called "the best WR in the draft" (vs Jeudy)

I've also heard people mocking Ruggs to go way higher.

So they sound like players we would have to trade up for?

On the other hand, on Jefferson I found this:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-jefferson/esI1JY8rYR

Would he be a bit of a reach as a 1st round guy?

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

From Beane’s few drafts I could easily him pointing a finger at one of these three and then moving up 7 or 8 slots to get them. 

Given our 2 5th and 3 6th round picks, it would not shock me if Beane were to wheel and deal a player and a pick to try to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick as ammo to move up.

I'm unclear on who and exactly what he'd have to do for this though.  I hope he's got McDermott keeping tabs on him.

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Exactly right. I just don’t see how they can properly address the x before their first round pick. The FA class is much less than exciting. 

AJ would theoretically address it. I think a trade might be more likely though (or if there’s a cap casualty).

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so I've heard someone called Ceedee Lamb called "the best WR in the draft" (vs Jeudy)

I've also heard people mocking Ruggs to go way higher.

So they sound like players we would have to trade up for?

On the other hand, on Jefferson I found this:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-jefferson/esI1JY8rYR

Would he be a bit of a reach as a 1st round guy?

Given our 2 5th and 3 6th round picks, it would not shock me if Beane were to wheel and deal a player and a pick to try to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick as ammo to move up.

I'm unclear on who and exactly what he'd have to do for this though.  I hope he's got McDermott keeping tabs on him.

I think Ruggs will be there and possibly lamb. Jefferson would be more of a second round target to me

These are just guys that I think fit what we do. I really like Ruggs

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can find all sorts of ways to use Cordarrelle Patterson too but he wasn't worth a first

Shenault is great value in the second not round 1 of an NFL draft

uhhh. if he's "great value" in the 2nd then It stands to reason he's still solid value in the tail end of round one.....

its not the dollar tree. we aren't freaking bargain shopping here... if you want the dude and you think he cant make a difference you freaking draft him.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

uhhh. if he's "great value" in the 2nd then It stands to reason he's still solid value in the tail end of round one.....

its not the dollar tree. we aren't freaking bargain shopping here... if you want the dude and you think he cant make a difference you freaking draft him.

He's great value in round 2 because he's a jack of all trades and can do alot 

He's not good value in the first because he isn't great at any WR skills and may never develop 

And 22 is not tail end of round 1.. you can get an absolute stud who is way more polished than Shenault there

31 would be the tail end

And I honestly don't want him at all. 22nd pick of round 2 sure

Edited by Buffalo716

Laviska can do it all, but he may not be there at #22.  Especially after he rips the combine.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's not good value in the first because he isn't great at any WR skills and may never develop 

And I honestly don't want him at all. 22nd pick of round 2 sure

Since when are YAC and good hands NOT WR skills?  And Shenault doesn't need a ton of development.

I'm very curious as to what you thought about D.K. Metcalf around this time last year?  Were you one of those worried about his 3-cone?  Be honest.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Laviska can do it all, but he may not be there at #22.  Especially after he rips the combine.

Since when are YAC and good hands NOT WR skills?  And Shenault doesn't need a ton of development.

I'm very curious as to what you thought about D.K. Metcalf around this time last year?  Were you one of those worried about his 3-cone?  Be honest.

No I was worried about his injury history

And Shenault has great YAC skills that's it, and you need the ball in your hands for that

He does not have elite hands catching the ball, he has solid hands . So his great skills are his YAC , that's it

He is an elite runner , not an elite WR

And his route running needs work

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sold on Shenault. But missing on a receiver at 22 isn't the same as missing on a receiver in the top 5 after trading up. Especially if they pick 2 to hedge their bets. With Beane as GM there are also reasons to be hopeful that they can hit on later round picks. I have my preference but the Shenault pick would be completely understandable.

Someone asked on Marino's podcast who had the best hands and he came up with 2 guys one of whom- Pitman (USC) is a definite mid round guy.

Edited by Seoulofstone

13 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I find it amusing that people think they can differentiate 0.05-0.10 second differences in 40 yard dash speed by watching a clip of a guy playing football. 

You can't. 

No but I played D1 football and still scout and coach

I know what a 4.4 looks like and that's not it. It's solidly a 4.5 ish in my estimation

When your around the game everyday for 30+ years you can pick things up 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No I was worried about his injury history

And Shenault has great YAC skills that's it, and you need the ball in your hands for that

He does not have elite hands catching the ball, he has solid hands . So his great skills are his YAC , that's it

He is an elite runner , not an elite WR

And his route running needs work

Be honest.  You just don't like the guy, for whatever reason.  You're on every post bashing him for various reasons, even though highlight reels, draft projections and scouting reports disagree with you.

I've got an inkling that you had strong criticisms of DK last season too.  I can tell.