The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

More evidence that lack of vitamin D is linked to COVID-19 severity.

ABSURD, ALL THE BEST PUBLIC HEALTH EXPERTS CAME OUT IN FAVOR OF THESE PROTESTS: 

SC protesters urged to ‘get tested immediately’ for COVID-19 after organizers get sick.

You do have to wonder about people who claim to think black lives matter but who encourage black people — who are more vulnerable to the Wuhan coronavirus — to engage in unsafe behavior. “Data from the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control shows Black people make up 36% of the confirmed coronavirus cases in South Carolina. At the same time, 46% of the people who have died from the virus are Black, DHEC’s data shows.”

What happened to HCQ?  Are we done with that?  Vitamin D?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

All true...and the REALLY SAD part is the media and the experts are not telling anyone anything anymore. I’d almost suggest that the President resume at least weekly briefings but that’ll turn into a clown show when that little Asian nitwit reporter starts peppering him with her racial victim nonsense again.

Oh yes, please.  Those were fun!

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Let's have a dance

19 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

What happened to HCQ?  Are we done with that?  Vitamin D?

If you've been paying attention, Vitamin D was flagged a long, long time ago.  The reason that nobody noticed is that a certain tangerine-hued man didn't mention it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

The potential benefits of Vitamin D have been reported on continuously since this thing started. 

It was just Frenkle's sorry reflex because I posted an article.............................no problem.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Fall back on that because you lost. 

It's not conspiracy to point out that you, and the people you have lionized, have been wrong at every turn. 

What are you even talking about? Do you just make things up about posters here and keep saying it until you believe it? 

Who do I lionize since you seem to know me so well? 

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Whatever you have to tell yourself. 

But you're wrong. All the way. (again)

They are very serious people :lol: Not clowns. 

Speak English please. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Lowest death total since late March.

The ghouls won’t be happy.

Been a bit busy the last few days but I assume some of the summaries under Silver's posts are right and hospitalizations are bouncing off their bottom and starting to rise. Hopefully they don't go up too much. More good stats on the declining average age for positive test patients. Ideally, we see that we can protect the vulnerable and keep the deaths down and hospitalizations under control. An important 2-3 week window now with the next one to come in November. I don't think we will learn a lot between late August and November that we won't know by July 15. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Been a bit busy the last few days but I assume some of the summaries under Silver's posts are right and hospitalizations are bouncing off their bottom and starting to rise. Hopefully they don't go up too much. More good stats on the declining average age for positive test patients. Ideally, we see that we can protect the vulnerable and keep the deaths down and hospitalizations under control. An important 2-3 week window now with the next one to come in November. I don't think we will learn a lot between late August and November that we won't know by July 15. 

You don’t think there’s anything to learn in the wake of the protests? It’d seem it would make for an ideal clinical study. I’m anxious to see how young people did out in public for days on end with ZERO social distancing and very limited focus on masks. So far, I’m not sure they’re seeing anything attributable to these Spring Break-like gatherings.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

The potential benefits of Vitamin D have been reported on continuously since this thing started. 

Warmer weather is supposed to weaken the virus. Sunshine is a source not only of warmer weather but Vitamin D. It only makes sense during this virus that people insure that they are getting adequate vitamins. I'm a believer in supplements and take a bunch including Vitamins A, B, C, D, Zinc and Bioperine. 

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Warmer weather is supposed to weaken the virus. Sunshine is a source not only of warmer weather but Vitamin D. It only makes sense during this virus that people insure that they are getting adequate vitamins. I'm a believer in supplements and take a bunch including Vitamins A, B, C, D, Zinc and Bioperine. 

Agree. 

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You don’t think there’s anything to learn in the wake of the protests? It’d seem it would make for an ideal clinical study. I’m anxious to see how young people did out in public for days on end with ZERO social distancing and very limited focus on masks. So far, I’m not sure they’re seeing anything attributable to these Spring Break-like gatherings.

It will take 4-6 weeks to see any big rise post protest. That's the exponential effect. But I don't expect to see much. Cases were low in many of those cities, lots of masks, outdoors, younger, etc. Working indoors, no masks will prob have more impact.

• Like (+1) 2

Horowitz: All the ways the media is misleading you about a record spike in Florida

"Recently, the New Yorker warned that in Florida, 12,673 people are hospitalized with coronavirus. The media is still trying to give you the impression that Florida has become like New York City at its peak, when roughly the same number were hospitalized with COVID-19 in early April. In fact, Florida never had more than 2,000 people hospitalized at once, just 3.5% of capacity. The 12,673 is the cumulative number since March. Florida still has far fewer people in ICUs than it did during its peak, which was itself was much milder than the peak in many other states."

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-ways-media-misleading-record-spike-florida/

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Horowitz: All the ways the media is misleading you about a record spike in Florida

"Recently, the New Yorker warned that in Florida, 12,673 people are hospitalized with coronavirus. The media is still trying to give you the impression that Florida has become like New York City at its peak, when roughly the same number were hospitalized with COVID-19 in early April. In fact, Florida never had more than 2,000 people hospitalized at once, just 3.5% of capacity. The 12,673 is the cumulative number since March. Florida still has far fewer people in ICUs than it did during its peak, which was itself was much milder than the peak in many other states."

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-ways-media-misleading-record-spike-florida/

Dr Fauchi pretty much shot this idea that the virus is weaker down today. There is no evidence that’s the case right now. 

These politicians are not public health officials. This thing is still out there and until we have it under control you should probably avoid public public places without a mask. 

Edited by JetsFan20

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Dr Fauchi pretty much shot this idea that the virus is weaker down today. There is no evidence that’s the case right now. 

These politicians are not public health officials. This thing is still out there and until we have it under control you should probably avoid public public places without a mask. 

No.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Dr Fauci? Seriously? He flipped so much during all of this he could be an gymnast!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Dr Fauci? Seriously? He flipped so much during all of this he could be an gymnast!

But he is a public health EXPERT! His flipping is so educated. 

Plus, what reason would an epidemiologist ever have for making an epidemic seem worse than it is? I mean, clearly all epidemiologists just want all epidemics to go away so they never have to bother being the center of attention for months at a time....

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

But he is a public health EXPERT! His flipping is so educated. 

Plus, what reason would an epidemiologist ever have for making an epidemic seem worse than it is? I mean, clearly all epidemiologists just want all epidemics to go away so they never have to bother being the center of attention for months at a time....

Wow 

4 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

that's right

just look at the recovery stats which clearly show this trend

oh wait- there are no published stats that show daily hospital admits, releases, recoveries, treatments that work in the field, treatments  that don't work, etc 

why is that?

so the EXPERTS can say whatever they want at any given time

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

so... has the Kung Flu spiked now that we are down the road quite a few days from the riots?

Trump Tulsa mini rally will be a super spreader event. Might kill a whole bunch of people. 

Death and failure follow in Trump’s large wake 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump Tulsa mini rally will be a super spreader event. Might kill a whole bunch of people. 

Death and failure follow in Trump’s large wake 

lol.

never change, tibs... never change.

15 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

There is some guessing in PCR when initially building an assay, you're right.  When designing primers for the target sequence you are attempting to amplify you have to try a few to see what pairs work best, but you are designing primers for specific conserved sequences of the viral genome.based on the known sequences. Once you get a good pair of primers in your assay design work then you have established a highly specific and sensitive test for detecting the pathogen of interest.  In the case of covid19 they are amplifying the region that encodes the nucelocapsid.  These primers are designed to be specific to the covid19 nucelocapsid sequence only.  In other words, the test will not amplify RNA from other coronaviruses that may be present in the sample. It will not amplify human or bacterial genetic material.  It will not amplify RNA from other viruses.  It's highly specific to covid19 and only covid19.  Each time they run a series of tests they include controls.  A positive control of purified covid19 RNA that should flag positive.  If it doesn't, the test and all the patient samples included in that run need to be retested.  They will also include a negative control.  This control could be a no template control, where there is no RNA/DNA in the reaction mix at all.  Or they could use a nonsense template and include RNA from a non covid virus , like flu.  I often used bacterial genetic material for negative controls in flu PCR that I did.  This control should be negative, and if it isn't all the samples run on that series are invalid and need to be re-tested.

Watch the video again and look at the graphs where they show how the signal comes up when they add increasing numbers of viral copies into the sample mix.  There's a negative control in there that does not show any signal after 45 or so cycles, indicating no amplification of the covid19 target sequence.  The other samples of 200, 20 and 2 copies turn positive in a step-wise manner as you would expect.  The threshold where a sample is called positive is the Ct (cycle threshold) number, or the number of cycles necessary for the fluorescent signal to exceed the background noise. 

If you're searching for curtains to look behind, I'd highly suggest that you look elsewhere.  PCR has long been a well established and robust technology.  

so how does the actual test work

what happens in the lab after a person is swabbed?

Yesterday, Monday, saw only one state (NY) register over fifty Covid 19 deaths (53) and only eight states were in double digits meaning 42 were not, with 13 registering ZERO deaths. Yet another pandemic low point! I can’t wait to see what type of spin the national media puts on it today. How do  they keep the fear and public shaming going for another few months? How long is it until the first Tuesday in November?

Edited by SoCal Deek

11 hours ago, shoshin said:

It will take 4-6 weeks to see any big rise post protest. That's the exponential effect. But I don't expect to see much. Cases were low in many of those cities, lots of masks, outdoors, younger, etc. Working indoors, no masks will prob have more impact.

We're well into week 5

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

More people have died in Florida of Corona virus than were killed in NYC on 9-11 

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

More people have died in Florida of Corona virus than were killed in NYC on 9-11 

So?

More people are killed by drunk drivers every year than died on 9-11.

More POC were killed in Chicago over the weekend then killed by cops this year.

Edited by Gary M
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

So?

More POC were killed in Chicago over the weekend then killed by cops this year.

I know, we do need police reform. If the people could trust the cops there wouldn't be as much crime. 

Just now, Reality Check said:

You are dumb 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

I know, we do need police reform. If the people could trust the cops there wouldn't be as much crime. 

You are dumb 

Talking to yourself again?

People in Chicago are killing each other because of distrust of cops?

Man that's some stupid *****

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Talking to yourself again?

People in Chicago are killing each other because of distrust of cops?

Man that's some stupid *****

If the public doesn't trust the police then the criminals win and the public loses. 

Edited by Tiberius