The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’d calculate it as more than that. If the population of the metro area is 10,000,000 people and they live to be on average, 70 years old wouldn’t that  be 400 deaths per day?

Metro is bigger than the city itself though. ?‍♂️

I'm not sure why NYC/NYS is padding the COVID-19 death numbers. Is there more federal aid in it for them for Wuhan Virus deaths where a normal heart attack or stroke death certificate does not have a economic incentive? These "with" becoming "from" numbers were bad enough as to skew reality, to now go to "anyone that died from dates X to Y is a COVID-19 death" will not help researchers or modelers who need real numbers to track.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Metro is bigger than the city itself though. ?‍♂️

I'm not sure why NYC/NYS is padding the COVID-19 death numbers. Is there more federal aid in it for them for Wuhan Virus deaths where a normal heart attack or stroke death certificate does not have a economic incentive? These "with" becoming "from" numbers were bad enough as to skew reality, to now go to "anyone that died from dates X to Y is a COVID-19 death" will not help researchers or modelers who need real numbers to track.

I don't understand why you're insisting that NY is "padding" the death count.   Average daily deaths in NYC are 150.  Since the beginning of April, the daily count in NYC has been 400-500 higher than normal.   How in the world is that padding the numbers?  What's the incentive?   It's sickening enough that people were claiming taht the videos of Hart Island burials were faked.  These people deserve better.

NYC Adds 3,800 Probable Virus Victims to Death Toll

Bloomberg News, by Henry Goldman

Original Article

New York City added thousands of people to its coronavirus death toll to account for victims who died in recent weeks without a confirmed diagnosis. The additional deaths -- totaling 3,778 -- pushed the city’s total to more than 10,000. Almost 60% of the unconfirmed coronavirus patients died inside hospitals, the city reported. Freddi Goldstein, press secretary to Mayor Bill de Blasio, said Tuesday that the data include at-home deaths of people suspected of having Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Trump to convene G7 leaders in video call to discuss pandemic

Reuters, by Steve Holland

Original Article

WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump will hold a video teleconference with G7 leaders on Thursday to coordinate national responses to the coronavirus outbreak, the White House said on Tuesday.Trump, who is head of the G7 this year, had planned to hold this year’s summit at the presidential retreat of Camp David, Maryland, in June, but moved it to a virtual setting due to the virus.The Group of Seven nations consists of the United States, France, Britain, Italy, Canada, Japan and Germany, and all seven of them have been hit hard by the virus.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't understand why you're insisting that NY is "padding" the death count.   Average daily deaths in NYC are 150.  Since the beginning of April, the daily count in NYC has been 400-500 higher than normal.   How in the world is that padding the numbers?  What's the incentive?   It's sickening enough that people were claiming taht the videos of Hart Island burials were faked.  These people deserve better.

Padding the COVID-19 death numbers.

Just now, meazza said:

What the hell is wrong with you ?

I'm responding to people like you? ?‍♂️

The number of deaths "from" COVID-19 are being padded. Read the ***** article above me. Go listen to Dr Brix.  Read articles from weeks ago when people first noticed this. They have been padding the COVID-19 numbers since the beginning. I'll write this slow since I know you cannot read fast... We have eliminated deaths from flu, heart attack, stokes, and more in the metro-NYC area! It is either a bloody miracle, or the deaths are being assigned to a virus that is not killing people to (for whatever reason) pad the death numbers from the virus.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Padding the COVID-19 death numbers.

How and who in the world is padding the numbers in NY?  What's the incentive?

Are you so desensitized to the situation downstate that you ignore reality?

Just now, GG said:

How and who in the world is padding the numbers in NY?  What's the incentive?

Are you so desensitized to the situation downstate that you ignore reality?

That is what I am asking! Why are they doing it?

Yes, I am totally desensitized. You found me out.  :wacko:

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I'm responding to people like you? ?‍♂️

The number of deaths "from" COVID-19 are being padded. Read the ***** article above me. Go listen to Dr Brix.  Read articles from weeks ago when people first noticed this. They have been padding the COVID-19 numbers since the beginning. I'll write this slow since I know you cannot read fast... We have eliminated deaths from flu, heart attack, stokes, and more in the metro-NYC area! It is either a bloody miracle, or the deaths are being assigned to a virus that is not killing people to (for whatever reason) pad the death numbers from the virus.

This is a sickness.  You cannot fake a death.  Since April 1, there have been over 10K more deaths in NYS than in a normal year.    That's the real number.  Now tell me how that is padded.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That is what I am asking! Why are they doing it?

Yes, I am totally desensitized. You found me out.  :wacko:

Explain the additional 10K deaths over a normal year?  Are Cuomo & Diblasio driving around the state with execution trucks?  The refrigerated trailers outside NYC hospitals are all for show?

• Like (+1) 1

WHY IS NEW YORK HARDEST HIT?

As everyone knows, New York City is the main center of COVID-19 infection and fatality in the U.S., with something like 40% of all American deaths. The reasons why shouldn’t be a mystery.

When the Black Death struck Europe in the 14th Century, people had no idea what caused the disease, and all of their theories were wrong. But experience showed, as was the case in later plagues, that the countryside was safer than the city. Most people who could decamped from cities to the country.

Essentially the same thing is true today. Densely populated areas create more contacts with others and more opportunities for a virus to spread. And New York City, with more than 28,000 people per square mile, is by far the most densely populated major US city. San Francisco is second at around 18,500, and cities like Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington are in the 11,000 to 12,000 range. So one would expect COVID-19 to spread more rapidly in New York than anywhere else. It is noteworthy, too, that the New Jersey cities across the water from Manhattan are also very densely populated, about as densely as New York, and are very much part of the metro area COVID picture.

There is a second factor that I suspect is also very important: New York’s reliance on mass transit. New York’s mass transit system–mostly its subways–is, by a huge margin, the most relied-upon public transportation system in the U.S. It carries a remarkable 2,275,000,000 riders per year. The second most-used public transit system is the Washington Metro, which carries only 238,000,000 riders per year, just over 10% of New York’s total. Chicago’s “L” carries fewer than 10% as many riders as New York’s subways. Public transportation, especially a subway, is no doubt the place where one comes into contact with the largest number of random strangers, and is foreseeably a common site of transmission.

Another point is worth mentioning. Why don’t we think of New York as a chronically sick place? Because people build up immunity to diseases that have been around for a while, and the more people you are exposed to, the more likely you are to be immune. But when a new disease like COVID-19 comes along, a virus to which no one has built up immunity, the population density and public transportation factors come to the fore and New York becomes a very sick city, compared to anywhere else.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/04/why-is-new-york-hardest-hit.php

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

This is a sickness.  You cannot fake a death.  Since April 1, there have been over 10K more deaths in NYS than in a normal year.    That's the real number.  Now tell me how that is padded.

If anything, I would think they are being under-counted since you have to be tested to confirm a Covid death.  How many people in nursing homes or other care centers have died without being test?  I know this was an issue in other countries, but not sure here?

2 hours ago, GG said:

Yup, I am sick. You got me.

You are so gloomed onto anyone questioning what is going on with the COVID-19 data that you clearly cannot or will not, see what is going on with the manipulation of deaths "from" COVID-19.  This matters when trying to model, discuss why it is being spread, how it is being spread, how susceptible people are to it, what preexisting conditions are most susceptible to death when "with" COVID-19, etc. There is a lot of things to be learned, but only honest data can help draw honest conclusions.  Enough people are actually dying from COVID-19 that there is no need to assign it as a cause of death to someone who died from something else. That can only muddy the waters.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TPS said:

If anything, I would think they are being under-counted since you have to be tested to confirm a Covid death.  How many people in nursing homes or other care centers have died without being test?  I know this was an issue in other countries, but not sure here?

They have started adding individuals who have never been tested, calling them “presumed”.  The reasons for this are both political and funding related.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TPS said:

They were under-counted until last week, because NYC didn't do posthumous testing.  NYC is going to classify an additional 3,700 as Wuhan-related deaths.

43 minutes ago, Justice said:

I wake up everyday hoping this is just a bad dream. I can’t get over it. I never thought I’d see the day this could happen here. 

Really?  I'm actually amazed this doesn't happen more often.  The world has shrunk considerably in the past half century with so much global travel. The human race was truly wonderfully conceived, and has been proven to be extraordinarily resilient to disease.

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yup, I am sick. You got me.

You are so gloomed onto anyone questioning what is going on with the COVID-19 data that you clearly cannot or will not, see what is going on with the manipulation of deaths "from" COVID-19.  This matters when trying to model, discuss why it is being spread, how it is being spread, how susceptible people are to it, what per-existing conditions are most susceptible to death when "with" COVID-19, etc. There is a lot of thing to be learned, but only honest data can help draw honest conclusions.  Enough people are actually dying from COVID-19 that there is no need to assign its death to someone who died from something else. That can only muddy the waters.

Can you let go of the ***** conspiracy angle maybe for a minute?

People can fudge a lot of data.  But they cannot fudge the death rolls.  The real number that cannot be faked is the number of bodies that the city has to deal with.  And that number is at least 10K higher than in any other year.  This fall's and winter's flu was a bear, but NYC deaths didn't spike.   But they surely did starting in late march.  That's the reality.  Now, tell me what is your theory of why suddenly 10K New Yorkers are no longer with us, if not for the Wuhan virus.

54 minutes ago, GG said:

Same discussion as before.  NYC life expectancy is 81.2, higher than national average BTW.    The last available official stats are from 2017, and based on actual data, there were avg 149 deaths/day. 

If you're correct, and you work the math backwards then, that would put the population of NYC at less than 7,000,000?  I believe the surrounding metro area would be way bigger than that.  Not a big deal, but it all goes to everyone's fixation on the numbers.

15 minutes ago, GG said:

Can you let go of the ***** conspiracy angle maybe for a minute?

People can fudge a lot of data.  But they cannot fudge the death rolls.  The real number that cannot be faked is the number of bodies that the city has to deal with.  And that number is at least 10K higher than in any other year.  This fall's and winter's flu was a bear, but NYC deaths didn't spike.   But they surely did starting in late march.  That's the reality.  Now, tell me what is your theory of why suddenly 10K New Yorkers are no longer with us, if not for the Wuhan virus.

Yes, it is a conspiracy. The answer for all things! It's a conspiracy!! :rolleyes:

You have a great day. ?

Oops, did not read the second half... so the 12K deaths attributed to COVID-10 in the metro-NYC area. If  the normal numbers for 6 weeks for the metro NYC area is 200 people die per day and this has been going on for six weeks, normal would be about 8,400 deaths for that time period. How many additional deaths to that 12K have happened in the last 6 weeks?

And this will also go to my point of correct data. Let's say that someone with congestive heart failure caught COVID-19. They die. They are placed in the "from" bucket. Did they really die from COVID-19? Or is COVID-19 more dangerous to someone with congestive heart failure, and those people should lock down? Again, honest numbers where people know who are most at risk would be helpful.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2