The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Numerous reports the past two months of China selling/giving PPE and tests to other countries to help fight the virus, only to discover that the equipment/tests were contaminated with the virus -- either through incompetence/negligence (most likely) or intentionally (least likely). 

That in addition to most of it not working. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Numerous reports the past two months of China selling/giving PPE and tests to other countries to help fight the virus, only to discover that the equipment/tests were contaminated with the virus -- either through incompetence/negligence (most likely) or intentionally (least likely). 

Oh my. 

• Like (+1) 1

Man Released From Jail to Prevent Spread of Coronavirus Accused of Murdering Someone the NEXT DAY.

NORTH CAROLINA GOV. ROY COOPER IS GETTING SOME PUSHBACK ON CIVIL LIBERTIES:

cooperletternc-474x600.jpg

Backstory here.

UPDATE: From the comments: “To paraphrase and update Tom Wolfe, ‘The dark night of fascism is always descending on Americans due to the actions of Republicans and yet lands only in areas under Democratic Party control’.”

ANOTHER UPDATE: Blowback for Gretchen Whitmer as Protesters Jam Downtown Lansing. The protest, called “Operation Gridlock,” involved thousands of cars descending on the Capitol.

Related: Michigan Gov. Whitmer faces fierce backlash over strict stay-at-home order. When NBC News reports that a Democrat is in trouble, you know they’re in trouble.

Plus, I love this:

“People always say: ‘Conservatives never protest because they are too busy working,'” the event page says. “Well, guess what. You’re not working — so it’s time to PROTEST.”

Heh.

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The treasonous senator ignores the fact the WHO tests were bunk, and some were carriers of the virus itself. 

But who needs facts and details when you're on the CCP payroll and working to undermine your government? 

According to snopes, the WHO never offered us tests.

What's True

The U.S. did not use COVID-19 diagnostic tests produced by the World Health Organization (WHO) in favor of producing its own.

What's False

The U.S. did not turn down an offer to use those tests (as no such offer was extended), nor was it unusual for the United States to design and produce its own diagnostic tests in lieu of those made elsewhere.

However, WHO told PolitiFact that the organization had never discussed providing testing kits to the United States, and The Washington Post reported that it’s typical, historically, for the U.S. to develop its own methods under such circumstances:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-coronavirus-test/

37 minutes ago, Justice said:

Can you explain this a little further? “Some were carriers of the virus itself”. Are you saying they were injecting or giving people with the virus with the test? 

...so "Trump decided" whereas multiple reports cite the CDC for the delay?......."the check is in the mail Murph"..........

As the highly infectious coronavirus jumped from China to country after country in January and February, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lost valuable weeks that could have been used to track its possible spread in the United States because it insisted upon devising its own test.

The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected. The CDC test correctly identified COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. But in all but a handful of state labs, it falsely flagged the presence of the other viruses in harmless samples.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The British government will seek refunds for millions of coronavirus test kits purchased from China, after a study of the products found them to be unreliable for use with most patients.

Are these test kits China sold to the Brits the WHO tests?  WHO is not mentioned in the article, only China as the source of the test kits.

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Isn't it CDC protocol anyways for us to make our own tests anyways to ensure reliability and accuracy? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The models were wrong. Horribly so. This is not nearly the crisis that it was said to be when this all started which proves that government actors can exaggerate or lie and use that to steal away unalienable rights. It’s idiotic to submit to that. 

The models may have been horribly right if it weren’t for social distancing policies and school shutdowns, etc.  

There are moral imperatives that clash with individual rights. Temporarily (and voluntarily) suspending one’s rights during an epidemic isn’t the worst thing in the world. Making sure it is temporary is what’s most important.  If our government is going to manufacture health crises in order to trample our rights, then we’ve got bigger problems. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I’m downstate.

Believe me, there’s no bigger Bill of Rights supporter than I am.  Also, nobody wants this govenrnment shutdown and intentional recession to end as much as me. However, I’m not going to be the guy who’s infecting others. I’m relying on my neighbors to feel the same way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

The models may have been horribly right if it weren’t for social distancing policies and school shutdowns, etc.  

There are moral imperatives that clash with individual rights. Temporarily (and voluntarily) suspending one’s rights during an epidemic isn’t the worst thing in the world. Making sure it is temporary is what’s most important.  If our government is going to manufacture health crises in order to trample our rights, then we’ve got bigger problems. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I’m downstate.

Believe me, there’s no bigger Bill of Rights supporter than I am.  Also, nobody wants this govenrnment shutdown and intentional recession to end as much as me. However, I’m not going to be the guy who’s infecting others. I’m relying on my neighbors to feel the same way. 

....considering the ever growing socially IRRESPONSIBLE segment, that was the only option to do in a historic event facing the country......that gang was and STILL is of the belief that, "...nothing but a hoax........just the usual flu like season......Spring Break IS on.....Mardi Gras lives....." et al..........same "anti" as Antifa mindset"......so government, albeit Federal, state or combined, have to institute "day care" for the irresponsibly inept".....betcha there is a growing undertow of revolt brewing to burst out of the "cabin fever lockdowns"......

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GG said:

Here we go

"Although the the U.S. intelligence community early on dismissed the notion that the coronavirus is a synthesized bioweapon, it is still weighing the possibility that the pandemic might have been touched off by an accident at a research facility rather than by an infection from a live-animal market, according to nine current and former intelligence and national security officials familiar with ongoing investigations."

Wow, some of us were actually ahead of the curve on this one.

Do not believe a !@#$ING thing the mainstream media tells you. They're all liars and enemies of the people.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, snafu said:

I disagree. Distancing and shutdown has helped curb the numbers at this point, surely (though another conversation is the long term plan and whether or not it will eventually have its way anyways), but I don't think there's a good argument that distancing has taken the extreme models and completely blown them up. The disparity is too severe. 

There are moral imperatives that clash with individual rights.

This is fundamentally disagree with. Moral imparatives change with the seasons. Individual rights (constitutional rights, specifically) are set in stone. That's the foundation of America. Without that we're just waiting to be taken advantage of. 

Temporarily (and voluntarily) suspending one’s rights during an epidemic isn’t the worst thing in the world.

I do agree with this- but with the main emphasis on "voluntary." That's not what we're seeing. We're seeing little baby tyrants popping up all over our country. 

If our government is going to manufacture health crises in order to trample our rights, then we’ve got bigger problems. 

I get your meaning here, but this really misses the historical realities of the "slippery slope" that is political precedence. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Wow, some of us were actually ahead of the curve on this one.

Do not believe a !@#$ING thing the mainstream media tells you. They're all liars and enemies of the people.

.....besides the mainstream media article that might prove I was right.

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The point of this country is that the government works for us, not the other way around. The government does not grant us rights, we have rights. 

The government can abridge rights if their actions are not arbitrary or capricious, and are limited in scope.  

I don’t think there would be a successful challenge based on the current circumstances. At least not in NY — even considering the fact that downstate is vastly different than WNY and other parts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't need the mainstream media to validate common sense. It wasn't coincidence this thing emanated from China's bioweapon headquarters.

Why did you quote a mainstream article then? :)