The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

It's justification after the fact for Trump acting like it wasn't a big deal. Now you have his base trying to claim that the numbers are inflated like it's some political issue or something ######ed like that. What a joke. What an absolute disgusting disgrace. I almost can't believe what I'm reading here. It's like Trump wins if it's "not that bad". Now you have every nutjob in the country acting like a conspiracy theorist just so their daddy can be right and get re-elected. It's unbelievable. Way to show your true colors.

Hey deplorables, way to live up to the stereotype! Do you remember when he said that fifteen cases would soon be zero? Is that what this is all about? You're all a bunch of ***** losers with zero empathy for what's going on around you. Jesus ***** Christ on a cross. Arguing for inflated numbers is a new low. It's a conspiracy!!!. Piss the ***** off.

Triggered.

If everyone could take a breath and stop focusing on NYC for a second you’d see that HALF of the States had low single deaths yesterday, and many had NONE at all. This thing is clearly running it’s course. There’ll be a long debate about whether it was social distancing or warmer weather or just mutations of the virus, but that’ll be for the scientific community. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ummm, you forgot to add one teeny, weeny, little caveat to this: The population of the United States is more than that of the next five countries, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom combined.

United States:                                        331 million people,  639,664 cases,  1932 cases per 1 million, 30,985 deaths,  93 deaths per 1 million

The next five countries combined:     321 Million people, 716, 822 cases,  2159 cases per 1 million, 74,591 deaths, 224 deaths per 1 million

I'm sure you weren't trying to paint a dishonest picture..

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

If they refused to test these people while they were alive, why would they add them to the count? Not a good look for our health care system! Families of those should have a case for negligence if their dead family member was denied a test for COVID and now docs are making the determination that it was a COVID death.

Refused? You think these people were not tested because the health care system had tests and people to do the test but they just didn’t want to? What world are you living in? Doctors would love to test everyone they could. 

51 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

If they refused to test these people while they were alive, why would they add them to the count? Not a good look for our health care system! Families of those should have a case for negligence if their dead family member was denied a test for COVID and now docs are making the determination that it was a COVID death.

They weren't refused.  These are the people who never went to the hospital and died at home.  NY EMTs say that they're making many more calls like this than in a normal day before April.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Ummm, you forgot to add one teeny, weeny, little caveat to this: The population of the United States is more than that of the next five countries, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom combined.

United States:                                        331 million people,  639,664 cases,  1932 cases per 1 million, 70,671 deaths, 212 deaths per 1 million

The next five countries combined:     321 Million people, 716, 822 cases,  2159 cases per 1 million, 30,985 deaths,  93 deaths per 1 million

Is twice as many deaths and still several weeks behind the growth curve some kind of victory? It’s not a competition but if it was, we would not be winning. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Take the NYC metro area out of that chart and the USA drops to 350,000 cases.

Take Lombardy out and ... NYC is America. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

United States:                                        331 million people,  639,664 cases,  1932 cases per 1 million, 70,671 deaths, 212 deaths per 1 million

The next five countries combined:     321 Million people, 716, 822 cases,  2159 cases per 1 million, 30,985 deaths,  93 deaths per 1 million

It would also be nice to see the number tested vs. confirmed cases. I remember weeks ago when the gripe was we need more testing. We're doing more testing and the number of conformed cases is going up. Shocking. I'd venture to guess there are few poor countries with high numbers simply because they aren't testing. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Refused? You think these people were not tested because the health care system had tests and people to do the test but they just didn’t want to? What world are you living in? Doctors would love to test everyone they could. 

Go ahead. Test everyone you want. But fast forward a week from now and you’re going to see the death count drop like a stone. Just look at the graphs of newly admitted patients. You better set your hair on fire now because this story will look far different on April 21st.

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

Re the above...

If we had adequate resources, you are right. But we don’t and didn’t in NYC especially.  Currently all we can hope for is consistency so this makes sense. 

And the symptoms of Covid are not to be easily confused with the flu. There is overlap but coroners can make an educated conclusion. 

So do we blame Cuomo for NYC's shortcomings or does it go directly to  Trump like everything else?

Just now, GG said:

Here's a pictorial representation of which areas are mostly affected

image.thumb.png.8bb899c7b190dc1e9750b70022d0be38.png

Thanks GG

I’ve recommended that everyone visit worldometer.com. The site updates daily and you can see all the important stats (cases, deaths, tests) by country and by state. It puts things in perspective. That is unless you just want to scream about the sky falling as many on here do. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go ahead. Test everyone you want. But fast forward a week from now and you’re going to see the death count drop like a stone. Just look at the graphs of newly admitted patients. You better set your hair on fire now because this story will look far different on April 21st.

New York finally hit a net negative for hospitalizations this week.

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

United States:                                        331 million people,  639,664 cases,  1932 cases per 1 million, 74,591 deaths, 224 deaths per 1 million

Those death rates, gees 

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Is twice as many deaths and still several weeks behind the growth curve some kind of victory? It’s not a competition but if it was, we would not be winning. 

We are not 3 weeks behind those five countries and I'm not claiming some sort of victory or anything at all. If people are going to present information, then be accurate.

Don't post a stat that the United States has more cases than any country in the world, without putting it in some kind of context to it, and then claim a complete failure on Trumps part - which is what he did.

BTW; We don't have twice as many deaths, I transposed the death numbers. Fixed it

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks GG

I’ve recommended that everyone visit worldometer.com. The site updates daily and you can see all the important stats (cases, deaths, tests) by country and by state. It puts things in perspective. That is unless you just want to scream about the sky falling as many on here do. 

I use Avi's site as well, because he tracks the entire world.  

16 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

United States:                                        331 million people,  639,664 cases,  1932 cases per 1 million, 74,591 deaths, 224 deaths per 1 million

74,591 US deaths? That's like triple the number I'm seeing.

Double checked, total US coronavirus deaths is currently 28,559. 

Edited by BuffaloHokie13