The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

YEP. NOT SUSTAINABLE OVER THE LONG TERM, NOR WAS IT MEANT TO BE: 

The Lockdown Is Loosening Whether Government Likes It Or Not. 

It was supposed to be a short-term solution to prevent runaway transmission while we made adjustments. We need to transition to masks and social distancing but with steadily reduced business closures.

Related: “If there’s a lesson from Michigan for other states, it’s that imposing overly-strict rules or trying to sneak pet policy transformations into precautionary measures will provoke backlash that makes public health goals even more difficult to reach.”

New Jersey governor: He ‘wasn’t thinking of the Bill of Rights’ when he banned religious services

Citizens are literally out in the streets over crackdowns by the state.

Police in Raleigh, North Carolina reminded lockdown protesters that protesting was considered a non-essential activity and made to disperse.

You’re not allowed to buy plant seed in Michigan (it’s snowing anyway)

and you can’t walk your dog after 9 p.m. in Hillsborough County, Florida, because the coronavirus likes to attack at night.

People are on the edge and governors just seem to be making more power grabs.

It’s probably a good idea for people to not crowd into churches, but New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy probably should have had a better answer when asked by Fox News’ Tucker Carlson about banning religious services.

Every politician in America should be thinking of the Bill of Rights every time they make a decision about anything.

• Like (+1) 10

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

It was supposed to be a short-term solution to prevent runaway transmission while we made adjustments. We need to transition to masks and social distancing but with steadily reduced business closures.

Related: “If there’s a lesson from Michigan for other states, it’s that imposing overly-strict rules or trying to sneak pet policy transformations into precautionary measures will provoke backlash that makes public health goals even more difficult to reach.”

New Jersey governor: He ‘wasn’t thinking of the Bill of Rights’ when he banned religious services

Police in Raleigh, North Carolina reminded lockdown protesters that protesting was considered a non-essential activity and made to disperse.

and you can’t walk your dog after 9 p.m. in Hillsborough County, Florida, because the coronavirus likes to attack at night.

It’s probably a good idea for people to not crowd into churches, but New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy probably should have had a better answer when asked by Fox News’ Tucker Carlson about banning religious services.

Every politician in America should be thinking of the Bill of Rights every time they make a decision about anything.

I remember telling my wife in early March when we had our trip planned to NY that we had coming, that we should think twice about posting our pictures on social media.

My wife looked at me completely puzzled, like "WTF are you talking about?"   And I told her that there was going to be a social shaming movement that would be coming very soon for people who are going around freely, having fun with no social distancing.   Keep in mind, at this time there were no social distancing measures except in Washington State.  So the very idea that I brought this up was not something that was in the mainstream....But I sensed it was coming. 

Now, I sense that the pendulum is swinging.  People and not just righties, but people in general are going to be sick of staying at home.  If there is a perception that local/state governments are being overly cautious at the expense of their livelihoods and civil liberties, I believe you will see a shift in public sentiment firmly against this.

I think Trump has got a good pulse on this and for those policy makers that resist people at least returning to some level normalcy with too much caution I believe will be punished at the polls

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

This is a lack or resources issue (kits and humans). And while the system is overwhelmed and most people recover well on their own, not testing everyone also keeps the general population healthier.

My neighbors just are getting over it (presumably) after 9 and 12 days of fever, muscle pain, etc (they were in NYC the days before the NBA/Tom Hanks night). Their primary care doc gave them advice for what to do and how to self-treat, as well as when it would be necessary for the hospital. 2 cases with a certainty of 99+% as Covid, not tested. Before that, another person I know tested positive, her family got it too. But only the mom was counted as a positive test because why drag the whole family out and use up kits and nurse time to do the testing (as well as risk exposing the nurses). This is happening all over the place. I've seen we're undercounting cases by as much as 10x in the news.

I have no idea what the real number of uncounted positive cases is and it's why I prefer counting deaths as a measure of progress, even with its flaws. You can't not count a body and at least a doctor saw it and made some informed Dx.   

If we have a national plan, we could re-open regionally as it made sense. 

And this is a national problem with NYC as its current epicenter but Florida and other states will get it bad when they are peaking in 3 weeks. Not NYC bad, but bad enough. Our shutdown helped contain it. Let's not make it a bigger problem by reopening in a random (state by state) fashion where we have a situation like what happened on the shutdowns where NYC is closed and Boston is open for 10 days. 

Thanks for the info and perspective @shoshin

6 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I look at statements made before the fact as statements made before the fact. I was of the mindset thst this was just the flu at first. I have since changed my mindset. Im glad we have a POTUS thst has a changing mindset in this situation.  Now that the evidence is coming out Im pissed at China too.

Trump knew in November... 

Germany to relax coronavirus lockdown measures.

“Germany will reopen many of its shops next Monday and some of its schools from May 4, as it joins other European countries in relaxing the draconian shutdown measures adopted last month to slow down the coronavirus pandemic. Shops with a retail space of up to 800 square meters will be allowed to reopen to the public. But strict curbs on social contact will remain in place and Germans will be encouraged to wear masks in shops and on public transport…

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Doubtful.

He doesn't read his Daily Briefings because he has the attention span of a 4 year old and spends most of his time watching Cable News. 

He might have been told, but I doubt he knew anything about it because he chooses to ignore intelligence and prefers to just go off his hunches. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

He wasn't here in November...

Does it matter if he was or wasn't? He's an idiot for posting Trump knew in November. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Doubtful.

He doesn't read his Daily Briefings because he has the attention span of a 4 year old and spends most of his time watching Cable News. 

He might have been told, but I doubt he knew anything about it because he chooses to ignore intelligence and prefers to just go off his hunches. 

Just like you. Keep beating that dead horse. Idiot!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Or was he...   

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You don't think so? I think it is a sock.

2 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Does it matter if he was or wasn't? He's an idiot for posting Trump knew in November.

It was a joke.  He said "Trump knew in November" and you said "you're an idiot" so I combined the two.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Magox said:

I remember telling my wife in early March when we had our trip planned to NY that we had coming, that we should think twice about posting our pictures on social media.

My wife looked at me completely puzzled, like "WTF are you talking about?"   And I told her that there was going to be a social shaming movement that would be coming very soon for people who are going around freely, having fun with no social distancing.   Keep in mind, at this time there were no social distancing measures except in Washington State.  So the very idea that I brought this up was not something that was in the mainstream....But I sensed it was coming. 

Now, I sense that the pendulum is swinging.  People and not just righties, but people in general are going to be sick of staying at home.  If there is a perception that local/state governments are being overly cautious at the expense of their livelihoods and civil liberties, I believe you will see a shift in public sentiment firmly against this.

I think Trump has got a good pulse on this and for those policy makers that resist people at least returning to some level normalcy with too much caution I believe will be punished at the polls

There’s a flip side to that too. This can win elections and lose them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

image.png.d284c1a2cefd0bbbd85e0898d1284203.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The longer this last, the more obvious it becomes what kind of character certain people have.

Many rise up to the challenge and want to help this country get out of this crisis in ways too numerous to count.  Feeding elderly. Changing their mfg. plants to provide masks. Helping people pay bills and keep their houses, etc.

And then there are the BillStime/BillZtime of the world; mentally astute to the extent the ONLY thing they can do is point and blame because they are too childish to overcome the simple fact that the crippled, money-laundering hag of their party lost the election to a candied yam.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Justice said:

There’s a flip side to that too. This can win elections and lose them. 

It's kinda funny.  I just posted a link to an article of the PPP loan program running out and to call your congress critter to add more money to it on my FB page.  And I had a lefty from California that just responded to me about 5 minutes ago mentioning how he is self-employed and that he will keep doing contracting work no matter what anyone says and they'd have to drag him to jail to stop. 

Let me copy and paste it:

Fu$% stopping working. Who in their right mind would trust anything this government tells you. They would have to arrest me and throw me in jail to get me stop.

That's not a righty, that is a full blown lefty who builds burning man structures year in and year out.

Now that's just anecdotal of course.  But when people were told not to work for safety reasons, the country by and large went along with it.  But as the pain begins to set in, the restlessness, the restrictions on liberty and economic hardship.   People will rebel against governments that they believe are being overly cautious at their expense.

It could go the other way too, but I don't see that happening only unless if you have governments recklessly reopening in ways that cause mass outbreaks.  I think people understand there will be some outbreaks and people will be reasonable about that, not all, the partisans will always be partisans.  But I don't see that happening.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo is locking us down until May 15th. 

Link

Yes, I just heard that too.

He's doing it in concert with the other regional governors who all favor sitting inside to err on the side of caution.

They're terrified that they will lift the restrictions too soon and could be hit with claims that they jumped the gun and people died in a second wave.

I think the governors should be the ones to lift the bans that they themselves have saddled their constituents with. 

They own it and the timeline. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo is locking us down until May 15th. 

Link

That’s too long for the entire state and the ones around it. South Jersey, Upstate, WNY, and PA should be much closer to opening than mid May if they can come up with plans to test and track adequately.  

Bill Gates by the way said it would take 6-10 weeks to get this under control and get ready to reopen. This is right in line with that prediction. 

I know Gates gave people the virus so he could make money off vaccines or something something and Jeffrey Epstein, but he's been prescient throughout this. I wish he had Trump's ear on how to come out of this but hopefully other bright people have it. 

Edited by shoshin