The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

if only Trump did more when he found out in November. So sad. 

He did exactly what you claim he didn't do.

Why did Cuomo & DiBlasio blow off CDC's suggestions and not take the virus seriously?  Why was the Gov yukking it up on CNN while people died?  Why are deaths a shiny object to you and your hero?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Why did Cuomo & DiBlasio blow off CDC's suggestions and not take the virus seriously?  Why was the Gov yukking it up on CNN while people died?  Why are deaths a shiny object to you and your hero?

I don't get why you and others keep arguing with this ######.

What's the point?  He's a moron and incapable of having substantive discussions.

Plus it clutters up these pages with crap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I don't get why you and others keep arguing with this ######.

What's the point?  He's a moron and incapable of having substantive discussions.

Plus it clutters up these pages with crap.

Only to keep drumming the notion that he celebrated thousands of deaths, because ...  Trump.

It takes a depraved mind to miss that perspective.

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Its really too bad Trump doesn't take any responsibility at all. Is this the first President to abdicate his responsibility during a global pandemic?

And you know what? Trump is literally KILLING it us. His efforts are so admirable. If only he spoke up in November.  So sad.

made w/ Imgflip meme maker

17 minutes ago, GG said:

Why do you keep cheering the death of fellow Americans?  What kind of sick person are you?

Texas has had 479 deaths since June 1st.   Which is an average of 26 deaths per day....210 deaths over the past 7 days which is an average of 30 deaths per day.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

Hmmm... Republican governor, on a warpath to reopen at the expense of life - all to appease Trump's reelection - yeah ok I believe the data they are sharing.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shosin

With all the respect I can muster....you simply cannot keep an entire society locked up and shut down forever just to keep a few people from dying!

Who is saying we should? I think we should be open. I don't think we should have shut down at all or at least when we did, not more than 2-3 weeks and only geographically where the situation was really dire (NYC clearly had a massive problem unlike any other place...and I noted many times where it ranks in the US in population density). 

But we need to watch the numbers because the one resource that can limit reopening is our ability to deliver adequate healthcare. And we need to watch the numbers to see if what's happening in AZ, TX, FL is a sign of things to come in other places that have reopened later, or a good sign that cases are rising and hospitalizations can be controlled etc or that they are taking their spike now because they never got hit hard in March/April (I think this is where we are headed...to a spike in the next few weeks and I hope, a controlled decline). I don't know which of those (or another) scenarios will be right, but what we are seeing now with the exponential case rise--so far--has only been followed by bad outcomes everywhere else.  

We can say, "Hey we're reopening, let's have a party" but we better be partying while watching what's happening. FL is about to host a ton of people from all over the country at an indoor convention...good to see if that still makes sense in a few weeks.

Edited by shoshin

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Who is saying we should? I think we should be open. I don't think we should have shut down at all or at least when we did, not more than 2-3 weeks and only geographically where the situation was really dire (NYC clearly had a massive problem unlike any other place...and I noted many times where it ranks in the US in population density). 

But we need to watch the numbers because the one resource that can limit reopening is our ability to deliver adequate healthcare. And we need to watch the numbers to see if what's happening in AZ, TX, FL is a sign of things to come in other places that have reopened later, or a good sign that cases are rising and hospitalizations can be controlled etc or that they are taking their spike now because they never got hit hard in March/April (I think this is where we are headed...to a spike in the next few weeks and I hope, a controlled decline). I don't know which of those (or another) scenarios will be right, but what we are seeing now with the exponential case rise--so far--has only been followed by bad outcomes everywhere else.  

We can say, "Hey we're reopening, let's have a party" but we better be partying while watching what's happening. FL is about to host a ton of people from all over the country at an indoor convention...good to see if that still makes sense in a few weeks.

Yes but....watching healthcare numbers doesn’t really say anything about the virus or about the vast majority of the people who will not contract it. Since they’re not going to be able build hospital beds fast enough in response to ‘your’ numbers,  the only logical conclusion is yet another rolling lockdown....no?

50 minutes ago, Magox said:

Just to piggyback off what I just saw from DeSantis presentation which had slides showing all these things.

Does he realize that the more Healthy and asymptomatic ppl get infected the more people will die? they spread it to everyone else, its called linear progression. 

Florida is truly the worst run state in the country isn't it lol. Desantis is a ***** clown.

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Does he realize that the more Healthy and asymptomatic ppl get infected the more people will die? they spread it to everyone else, its called linear progression. 

Florida is truly the worst run state in the country isn't it lol. Desantis is a ***** clown.

Yet death rates continue to plummet... 

You're really bad at this whole pretending you're not a mouth-breathing imbecile. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Thanks for replying.  

Another idiot that I can put on my ignore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

You’ve obviously never been to California! There’s not a chance any state could or ever will be worse. The Golden State has crumbled into a true sh$thole.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ve obviously never been to California! There’s not a chance any state could or ever will be worse. The Golden State has crumbled into a true sh$thole.

California has the 5th strongest economy in the world lol. 

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I know damn well its handeled this virus 10x better than Flordia has 

You’re a first class idiot! You know nothing about the numbers in California. Put down the political nonsense and do some freaking research. Sheeesh 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

FYI: California has had TWICE as many cases as Florida. Next question ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

They have the same exact death rate, with Florida having a significantly smaller population. 

and the virus is spreading much faster in Florida than Cali. Next time try to do some more research outside of "case numbers" because case #'s don't mean anything. 

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re a first class idiot! You know nothing about the numbers in California. Put down the political nonsense and do some freaking research. Sheeesh 

I'll quote you in here also since you both have no idea how science works. 

Edited by Penfield45

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes but....watching healthcare numbers doesn’t really say anything about the virus or about the vast majority of the people who will not contract it. Since they’re not going to be able build hospital beds fast enough in response to ‘your’ numbers,  the only logical conclusion is yet another rolling lockdown....no?

I keep trying to explain this to you. 

The numbers are not MY numbers. They are THE numbers.

And no, that is not the logical conclusion. We have a limiting resource in healthcare, and within that maybe some physical resources but likely the true limiter is in one of the HCW functions. It is that resource that I believe could dictate to some extent what happens. We cannot swamp out that system. That's saying FU to my wife and brother who work in health care, FU to patients seeking any kind of health care, and FU to those who will die because they can't get care for covid or other things. Some people may not care about doing that but I think we should be trying to find a way to be open and find a level that our HCWs can sustain themselves and both their covid and non-Covid patients. 

Edited by shoshin

22 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

They have the same exact death rate, with Florida having a significantly smaller population. 

and the virus is spreading much faster in Florida than Cali. Next time try to do some more research outside of "case numbers" because case #'s don't mean anything. 

I'll quote you in here also since you both have no idea how science works. 

Nice try Einstein. The death rate between the two states is virtually identical. I’m not sure what point you’re attempting to make but it’s born out of ignorance. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, shoshin said:

And no, that is not the logical conclusion. We have a limiting resource in healthcare, and within that maybe some physical resources but likely the true limiter is in one of the HCW functions. It is that resource that I believe could dictate to some extent what happens. We cannot swamp out that system. That's saying FU to my wife and brother who work in health care, FU to patients seeking any kind of health care, and FU to those who will die because they can't get care for covid or other things. Some people may not care about doing that but I think we should be trying to find a way to be open and find a level that our HCWs can sustain themselves and both their covid and non-Covid patients. 

Shosin.
You clearly have a personal stake in this and for that I applaud your passion. But honestly there are risks to being an ‘HCW’ that your wife and brother should understand. If not, they really shouldn’t be doing that line of work. And I mean no disrespect at all! I believe the country in general and certainly the health care field has a much better handle on this now. Your wife and brother have been well trained I’m sure. 
Blessings to you and your family

27 minutes ago, shoshin said:

as health care providers, what will they be taking to treat the virus if they become  ill?

The media is shameless.

We know that.  They literally engage in doublethink.   

The cognitive dissonance that comes from their newsrooms is truly awe-inspiring. They have no shame.

.....they're powerful and in complete control.....they hit the Covid-19 PAUSE button, stopping the escalation to allow protests and riots.......hell, social distancing and masks were non-sequitor.....and now they hit the RESUME button with cases escalating, admonishments for failing to social distance or wear masks...omnipotent and truthful.......

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not to mention they gutted the biggest industry in their biggest city (80%+ still unemployed) with measures that did nothing to help fight the disease. 

They got rid of the homeless?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

as health care providers, what will they be taking to treat the virus if they become  ill?

Whatever their doctors think is best. I hope all they need is Tylenol. Thanks for your concern about my family. 

Arizona broke their record high of 2600 cases yesterday--3200 cases today. I assume they are now into their surge capacity (which means lower standards of care are acceptable in order to manage a crisis). 

TX pulled in a pedestrian 1600, which is good. I don't know if that's just a one-day blip or averaging out after a few super high days. Covid hospitalizations up though in another pretty big jump. Magox: That other site with the really good data is fantastic but too limited in its geography. If we could get those numbers in total by state, that would be great. No one that I've seen is gathering all covid hospitalizations by state. 

image.thumb.png.763cb16c4e35eaf5912391b3c10d844a.png 

Edited by shoshin

REMINDER: Flattening the curve always meant having higher hospitalizations now.

To recap, here are the graph features — and where we are as of June 18:

Dark black line: Hospital bed capacity, “approximately 25,000”

Red peak: The “minimal action” projection: hospitals overwhelmed by an order of magnitude, approximately 225,000 hospitalizations by the peak in late April

Orange peak: The “social distancing” projection: hospitals overwhelmed by a much smaller magnitude, approximately 90,000 hospitalizations by the peak in mid-May

Blue peak: The “stay-at-home” projection: hospitals never overwhelmed, approximately 12,000 hospitalizations by the peak in early July

June 18: Real-time data as of June 18, after recording the 10th record number of hospitalizations this month: 857 hospitalizations

NCMS-COVID-options-June-18.jpg

These figures are for North Carolina, but it’s been more or less the same everywhere. Covid-19 has underperformed.

To be fair, so has our political/journalistic class.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1