Let's get AJ Green

7 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Scheduled to hit free agency. Wonder if he'd be open to Buffalo? I'll bet he'll be a man on a mission in 2020.

John Brown is nice but he's not enough on his own-- let's give Josh the confidence in knowing the guys around him can win matchups and make plays for him.

I have read that the Bengals are going to franchise him, so to get him will take a trade. 

It is a no brainer to add multiple wide receivers to the roster this offseason. How Beane decides to do that (Draft vs. FA, or combination of both) is up for discussion, but the need to improve our WR talent was 100% apparent on Saturday. 

I fully expect the WR's in this upcoming draft to be looked at super closely, and expect one of our first 2 picks to be a WR. My preference would be one with size (Tee Higgins and Shenault are my top guys at this moment). 

• Like (+1) 1

I would not offer anything more than a 2 year deal (second year club option) with a little bit of guaranteed money. And very incentive based. 

anything more than that PASS. 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I would also double down on him plus a first or second round WR.  One year deal with maybe a second year team option if he stays healthy and performs while the rookie learns the ropes the first year.

Allen could have a real breakout year with AJ/Brown/Beasley and a year under the belts of Ford/Singletary/Knox.  Maybe a healthy Kroft steps up.

I'd rather see if they can pry away a young up and coming stud like Mike Williams of the Chargers. Big, fast, great hands and grossly underutilized by that organization. With Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, and Austin Ekeler (and Melvin Gordon, if he's still there) there are a lot of mouths to feed there. Plus, they have an unsettled situation at QB. They may not want to let him go but I'd certainly inquire before looking into AJ Green. At 6' 4", 220 lbs, three years in the league, and still only 25 when the season starts, he's the WR I'd want.

• Like (+1) 1

I think some folks would be surprised to learn how close he came to becoming a Bill in October 

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Smoke says hi

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Image result for confused  child gif

You guys are nuts. If Allen could actually get the ball to his WRs, then Smoke and Beasley would’ve had their best seasons of their careers in 2019.

Wait...

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I'd rather see if they can pry away a young up and coming stud like Mike Williams of the Chargers. Big, fast, great hands and grossly underutilized by that organization. With Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, and Austin Ekeler (and Melvin Gordon, if he's still there) there are a lot of mouths to feed there. Plus, they have an unsettled situation at QB. They may not want to let him go but I'd certainly inquire before looking into AJ Green. At 6' 4", 220 lbs, three years in the league, and still only 25 when the season starts, he's the WR I'd want.

I can dig it.  We have the money to pay him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would not offer anything more than a 2 year deal (second year club option) with a little bit of guaranteed money. And very inventive based. 

What are you thinking, perpetual motion machine?  A safe and miniaturized nuclear reactor for consumer vehicle use?  If he could pull either of those off I'd give him LOTS of guaranteed money!

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

John Brown missed 29 games in 4 seasons when the Bills tried to sign him prior to the 2018 season. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Also, the bengals are the cheapest organization in football (maybe in sports). The facility and resources the Bills have put toward player health would be a huge factor in Green’s availability going forward. The Bengals have none of that. They don’t even have an indoor practice facility! 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think watching Josh target Duke 10 times on Sat. and be willing to just throw it up to him downfield (accurately) shows that investment in a WR like this would be a good idea. I don’t like his injury history but I think that is the kind of thing that will keep his market price down a bit. Even if he’s only available 1/2 or 3/4 of the season I’d take it. I think you get a vet WR like this and draft a stud in the 1st two rounds as well. 

adding this element and a fast RB to pair with Motor ( Matt Breida? Kenyon Drake?) will take this offense to the next level. 

I agree on Green. I’d also be willing to draft another big target in round 1 or 2. Especially if the Bengals tag Green and try to trade him. We’d basically have him on a one year prove it deal, and his successor would basically be waiting in the Wings. And if it was someone like Shenault he could still be used in a variety of ways and basically replace what they had in McKenzie. 

Imagine a group of weapons like:

AJ Green

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Laviska Shenault

One of

Duke Williams/Isaiah Mckenzie/Robert Foster

Andre Roberts

Then at tight end:

Knox

Sweeney

Kroft

Plus:

Singletary

free agent like Breida or Drake

3rd round draft pick

I have no doubt Beane will be on a mission to add weapons for Allen. 

Just now, Dkollidas said:

I agree on Green. I’d also be willing to draft another big target in round 1 or 2. Especially if the Bengals tag Green and try to trade him. We’d basically have him on a one year prove it deal, and his successor would basically be waiting in the Wings. And if it was someone like Shenault he could still be used in a variety of ways and basically replace what they had in McKenzie. 

Imagine a group of weapons like:

AJ Green

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Laviska Shenault

One of

Duke Williams/Isaiah Mckenzie/Robert Foster

Andre Roberts

Then at tight end:

Knox

Sweeney

Kroft

Plus:

Singletary

free agent like Breida or Drake

3rd round draft pick

I have no doubt Beane will be on a mission to add weapons for Allen. 

And bump Ford inside and sign Conklin in FA.

• Like (+1) 2

Green is the perfect addition for us. Sure, he's had injuries, but he could step in day 1 & be a WR1. He'd come for a semi-reasonable 1-2 year deal. We still NEED to draft a guy in the first 2 rounds, and we'd be set at WR.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also, the bengals are the cheapest organization in football (maybe in sports). The facility and resources the Bills have put toward player health would be a huge factor in Green’s availability going forward. The Bengals have none of that. They don’t even have an indoor practice facility! 

Oh yeah, they’re brutal.

The downside is that Brown is too cantankerous to either trade him or let him walk. He’ll tag him and expect him to play another year. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Just start Nsekhe dangit!!!

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh yeah, they’re brutal.

The downside is that Brown is too cantankerous to either trade him or let him walk. He’ll tag him and expect him to play another year. 

Just start Nsekhe dangit!!!

And Green is too nice. He said the tag would be ok. Maybe he’s interested in playing with Burrow though who knows 

42 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Hokie, can you tell me about the TE from V Tech?

9 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We need redundancy, as some have pointed out. I want the opponent to look at us and say man they have a lot of weapons. It is time to stop neglecting this area. Get me some more damn playmakers!!!

Maybe Josh wouldn't try so hard to "make a play for his team" if he had playmakers to do it for him.

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Green is too nice. He said the tag would be ok. Maybe he’s interested in playing with Burrow though who knows 

I read somewhere that he said he would sit out if Bengals tagged him.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We need redundancy, as some have pointed out. I want the opponent to look at us and say man they have a lot of weapons. It is time to stop neglecting this area. Get me some more damn playmakers!!!

Yep. WR1 in FA, RB2 in FA, WR early in the draft, and then the Bandit Special: Lynn Bowden in the draft! Gives you a versatile, Taysom Hill type threat that makes teams stop and think every time he’s on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I would not offer anything more than a 2 year deal (second year club option) with a little bit of guaranteed money. And very inventive based. 

Agree. And even then.....if he has trouble seeing the field you might not be on the hook for a big payout but you also have to value the roster spot. Great as he has been his value is zero if not healthy.

This is said to be a fantastic draft for WR coming up. Chances are you can get a high end prospect in the late rounds. So take two if the value is clearly there.

I can't believe there are people who would be against signing AJ Green. To me, he seems like the perfect FA addition for this team. You're likely looking at a 2 year deal with decent guaranteed $ and many incentives. No team is going to break the bank for this guy, but he will necessitate a decent amount of cap space of which the Bills have plenty. If the Bills can add AJ and a WR in the 1st or 2nd, I can't imagine a better situation for a rookie WR to come into than a room that includes AJ, Brown, and Beasley. Expectations would be tempered, pressure would be lower, and the opportunity to learn and grow with great teammates who have done this at a high level would be extremely valuable.

I predict the Bills sign AJ to a 2 year deal worth about 22-24 Million. Cap hit of about 12. We'll draft a similar WR early (Jefferson, Tyler Johnson, Shenault, Higgins) and allow our young weapon to learn from one of the best to ever do it for a couple of years. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep. WR1 in FA, RB2 in FA, WR early in the draft, and then the Bandit Special: Lynn Bowden in the draft! Gives you a versatile, Taysom Hill type threat that makes teams stop and think every time he’s on the field.

I wonder if mcbeane would be ok with Bowden’s off field stuff. Ohio state said no thanks. 

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

What are you thinking, perpetual motion machine?  A safe and miniaturized nuclear reactor for consumer vehicle use?  If he could pull either of those off I'd give him LOTS of guaranteed money!

Ahhh I meant Incentive based, not sure why my phone changed it to inventive

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Agree. And even then.....if he has trouble seeing the field you might not be on the hook for a big payout but you also have to value the roster spot. Great as he has been his value is zero if not healthy.

This is said to be a fantastic draft for WR coming up. Chances are you can get a high end prospect in the late rounds. So take two if the value is clearly there.

Once year that could grow to say 15M.  tie that growth if the contract based on availability.  Then the Club Option can also carry some guaranteed money if he hits performance triggers.  With his Injury History I am making him earn his guaranteed triggers.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

A healthy aj green is exactly what the bills need

The problem a healthy aj green is no where to be found

I would bet a fair amount of money he was healthy enough by about week 10 and made a business decision to shut it down. I'm guessing that was fine with the Bengals because they were after the #1 overall pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

All for it but I would double down with a 1st round pick like Laviska Shenault,

This is the only way it makes sense for me.   Green could mentor Shenault for a year or two, much like Gore did with Singletary.     

But I want a dynamic young, big and strong WR that can grow with Josh more than I want Green at this stage of his career.    If Green takes reasonable money for a two year deal, no problem.    But I just don't think he's looking for reasonable money...