Are the Patriots cheating on Special Teams?

Jerry Jabber

I think the idea is the Patriots have a good idea about blocking schemes and where to send the overload. This is all preparation and planning and overload ‘blitzing’ the side of the punters kicking leg. The idea is they use bigger front line guys to push back the ST blockers and send a rover behind to penetrate shooting the gap and getting a hand on it.

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I was listening to the morning show on WGR550 this morning, and Sal C. mentioned that the Patriots have six blocked punts this year (start at 12:50 on the link below). Jeremy started a conspiracy theory that they might be getting coached through the play as it's going on through one of the player helmets. I know one Special Teams player is allowed to have his helmet mic'd up, similar to offense and defense. Now that theory that Jeremy discussed wouldn't be surprising as it's been mentioned in the book "Spygate," about how Doug Flutie accidentally picked up Tom Brady's helmet and heard an alternate frequency, but later, Flutie recanted that statement. Does anyone know the record for most blocked punts in a season? Also, what else could Belichek and the Patriots do to gain an illegal advantage on Special Teams?

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-20-sal-capaccio-with-howard-and-jeremy

ive always been a little skeptical of the helmet claims.a qb can only process SO MUCH information and between reading coverages, remembering route options, digesting blocking etc.. to have someone also in our ear seems incredibly difficult. It’d have to be really simple single word commands about stepping up in the pocket for instance, not reads in the pocket and downfield and on the backside of the play. 

for special teams I can’t fathom what you tell a DE about beating his guy to the punter mid rush. 

18 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Yes, agree with you that they've been caught, but it's time something real is done as punishment - that's not really happened much save for when they lost a draft pick.  It is systematic and sophisticated cheating that has been going on since forever.  And think how much they've done where they have NOT been caught?  The few times they have been caught probably represents about 1% of what they have done over the years.  The FBI should have a look at these guys - seriously.  Think of the financial gains from all of the winning over the years.

Oh, I agree, imo Kraft should be forced to sell the team, and all non football players in the organization be banned from the NFL for a minimum of five years. But that won’t ever happen...

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Oh, I agree, imo Kraft should be forced to sell the team, and all non football players in the organization be banned from the NFL for a minimum of five years. But that won’t ever happen...

That's why the Pats just keep doing what they do. They are willing to risk a few million in fines and maybe losing some draft picks if they are able to game the system. But I do think that their reputation is probably their best weapon at this point. While I do think they do skirt the edges of the rules and sometimes outright break them there is a paranoia about the Pats exceeds what they actually do and ends up being a mind game that they aren't doing anything to accomplish. 

36 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's why the Pats just keep doing what they do. They are willing to risk a few million in fines and maybe losing some draft picks if they are able to game the system. But I do think that their reputation is probably their best weapon at this point. While I do think they do skirt the edges of the rules and sometimes outright break them there is a paranoia about the Pats exceeds what they actually do and ends up being a mind game that they aren't doing anything to accomplish. 

There was some of the we are gonna lose this game mentality,  but I think it’s not like it was in toms heyday, the Bills still have to play as mistake free football as they can to win, and that is within their abilities, in that way it’s really not to much different than the other games they were supposed to lose, Steelers, Cowboys, Titans, etc. if they keep their combined sh-t together they will win. 

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It could just be dominance, but it is intriguing cause special teams don’t leave a ton of room for variance... hard to say.

I also think BB and his squad do things folks used to do, teams adjusted and exploited the scheme, but the adjustments are forgotten. He also arguably cheats and uses anything he can to his advantage...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Can we simply beat the Patriots on the up and up without the insecure, for once, raising the "cheat" spectrum?

Agree (though I know I've added to the cheating discussion here).  But that's why I also said that it's time for SMASH-MOUTH football - hit them and hit them so HARD that they'll be thinking about their wellbeing over play execution.  It's the only way.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hadn’t heard that about Flukie picking up bradys helmet before.  I don’t doubt that he’s keeping patriot secrets.  Never liked flukie 

Never liked Rob Johnson.....

6 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

We may never know the extent of their cheating but I guarantee what we do know just scratches the surface.

Someday the magnitude of New England's incessant cheating will come to light.

To answer this question, you need to think like a cheat. In what ways can you gain an edge on special teams, within the rules or not?

For example, "how can I reduce my fumbles"? By deflating the ball slightly so that my RB's grip is stronger, yet it is not noticeable by refs or the other team. 

"How can I know what defense the other team is going to play"? By looking at their sideline gestures and play calls. "I'm missing too much information by watching them in person, how can I dive deeper into their play calls"? By videotaping them, then rewatching over and over again to spot new details.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, obviously. But you are now entering the Twilight Zone of what the Patriots Dynasty REALLY is. 

• Like (+1) 1

The blocked punt against us was pure coaching they saw our tendencies on film and left the gunners uncovered.  A well coached ST unit would have pulled gunners in or thrown a pass to uncovered gunners.  Instead we got the punt blocked.   However given the cheaters history there could be some reality here 

18 hours ago, arcane said:

Somehow the part about Flutie recanting his statement never makes it into the retelling by bills fans. This is the first I've heard of that.

Not surprising.  Gotta protect the shield.  Flutie can’t expect to keep getting a check from networks for doing NFL games and analysis if he’s going to blemish the league.

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

The blocked punt against us was pure coaching they saw our tendencies on film and left the gunners uncovered.  A well coached ST unit would have pulled gunners in or thrown a pass to uncovered gunners.  Instead we got the punt blocked.   However given the cheaters history there could be some reality here 

This is correct.  I noticed that Pittsburgh tried to bait the Bills with a similar play.  On one punt they brought the player covering the gunner in the same way the Cheatriots did.  But right before the snap another player who was positioned off of the LOS and inside a bit bailed to cover the gunner.  The Bills didn’t take the bait and got the punt away.  I thought it was a good try by Pittsburgh. 

Maybe we should start copying what they do on special teams and actually block some punts ourselves. It’s a copycat league yet I can’t remember our last blocked punt.

What we can’t hide a player behind another player ? We can’t run our gunners to the line of scrimmage ?? Let’s force them to make plays and call timeouts this time !!!!,