Pro Bowl Appearances vs Win Percentage by Team - Guess Who's the Outlier?

mramefa

In case any of you thought we were now being respected by the media, or that we should celebrate Tre's (well deserved) appearance as being enough, here you go.

I throw together a quick graphic of win percentage vs pro bowl appearances by team. Guess who's the clear outlier in terms of under representation...

Pro-Bowl.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The team that has been poor to average for a long time and is having a breakout season this year? The team that is really young and has a lot of guys on their way up?

I see what you're saying, but that's not because of some unfairness. This is an extremely young team and the voters are just getting to know most of our players and teams with records like ours over the past four or five years don't tend to put a lot of guys in the Pro Bowl.

This'll even out quickly now that we're winning and our guys are maturing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Haha nice graph, always great to get a good visual  !

Well, I suppose you can spin it by saying that Buffalo is the ultimate "sum being greater than its parts" team.  Coach would probably like this, team first !

Anyway, this whole pro bowl thing is a bit of a joke really, the selections are as much on reputation and star power than on performance IMO...

Edited by Belgium_Bill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the Steelers have 5 and there's all this talk about Tomlin earning coach of the year.  Hmmm.  Look at what McDermott has done, with hardly anyone the league considers a star.  The Bills are tight, cohesive, disciplined (except for all those penalties...).  They reflect their coach.  The only competition for McDermott I can see are the coaches of SF and GB.

• Like (+1) 3

Honestly this seems about right to me.  The Bills are a good team, but they don't have a lot of high-end star power.  They're mostly above-average across the board with no real weak links.  You'd kind of expect this team to have a disproportionate number of wins vs. Pro Bowl selections.

• Like (+1) 3

Pro Bowl is a joke.  The reason the Bills have 90m in cap space is they are a team, not a handful of  $100m pro bowl shiny toys surrounded by low end talent.   I'll take the super bowl over the pro bowl every day.   and WNY will never be hailed, respected or even acknowledged by the TV ratings focused national media in our lifetiimes, so forget that.  Just enjoy it.  This is a special year free from injuries, team playing well enough win 2 out of every three games, seems like a great tight locker room.  This doesn't come along very often for most teams.  Sit back and enjoy. 

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest for the most part. All Pro is where the true answer lies. There are varying opinions about who should have been on the AFC Pro Bowl team, but we can all agree the Bills should have had more than one guy. Either way, congrats to Tre for making his first. The main goal still lies ahead for this team.

image.jpeg.8925d804b5eeed145cd0454fd7de788d.jpeg

5 hours ago, nrenegar said:

In case any of you thought we were now being respected by the media, or that we should celebrate Tre's (well deserved) appearance as being enough, here you go.

I throw together a quick graphic of win percentage vs pro bowl appearances by team. Guess who's the clear outlier in terms of under representation...

Pro-Bowl.jpg

You mention Tre in the OP. 

Why not state this there?   Every comment here has already been stated there (and more) 

the chief among them 

(many) Pro Bowl (selections) is a joke. 

Just now, The Red King said:

Who else should have gone?  I love the Bills, but they are a collection of very good players with very little star power.  What other Bills player earned a spot that wasn't outplayed by 2-3 other AFC guys at their position?

Phillips.  He has 9.5 sacks as a DT.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Who else should have gone?  I love the Bills, but they are a collection of very good players with very little star power.  What other Bills player earned a spot that wasn't outplayed by 2-3 other AFC guys at their position?

That’s what I was thinking. Smoke might be deserving but he’s not a fantasy football stud so not a lot of people pay attention. Jordan Phillips probably as well. Outside of that I can’t really make a case for anyone else 

I saw on instagram that the Ravens got 12 guys selected to the pro bowl. 

good for them, they are the hottest team in the AFC. 

but come on, we have double digit wins and are playoff bound, and only get 1 guy? That doesn’t seem right. I would say we deserve 3 or 4 guys selected. 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good let them get disrespected.  Provides more motivation.

Someone told me on here that the players don't pay attention to the media and it is stupid to think that this stuff could serve as any kind of motivation....cough, cough, ehe-Weo-ehem. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, nrenegar said:

Pro-Bowl.jpg

This is fine.

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s what I was thinking. Smoke might be deserving but he’s not a fantasy football stud so not a lot of people pay attention. Jordan Phillips probably as well. Outside of that I can’t really make a case for anyone else 

Matt Milano? Micah Hyde? Jordan Poyer?  

Twelve Baltimore Ravens.  GMAFB

1 minute ago, mannc said:

The Lamar Jackson love fest bleeds over to the rest of his brethren. It was the same thing last year with the Chiefs if everyone remembers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

The Lamar Jackson love fest bleeds over to the rest of his brethren. It was the same thing last year with the Chiefs if everyone remembers. 

Yes, I remember the endless ball-washing of the Chiefs and Andy Reid, which made it particularly sweet when they got exposed in the playoffs.  

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening to the Ravens.  The Bills have the best chance to take them down, but I think we’re still a year away.  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Yes, I remember the endless ball-washing of the Chiefs and Andy Reid, which made it particularly sweet when they got exposed in the playoffs.  

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening to the Ravens.  The Bills have the best chance to take them down, but I think we’re still a year away.  

Our game plan was DEFINITELY perfect outside of a single miscommunication in the secondary which led to the Hurst TD. That was 61 of Lamar's passing yards right there. Take that one away and he was 15/24 for 84 yards passing which is only 5.6 yards per completion. Even still we held him to his lowest yardage total of the season at 185 total yards of offense. There is no one in this league the Bills cannot beat if they are on their game. No one. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

Someone told me on here that the players don't pay attention to the media and it is stupid to think that this stuff could serve as any kind of motivation....cough, cough, ehe-Weo-ehem. :rolleyes:

Opinions...

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think a case could be made for John Brown. Tyreek Hill clearly is not deserving this year, though there's a few other WRs that were snubbed that you could argue ahead of Brown also. I personally would have given Brown the nod though.

Beyond him, I don't think anyone else really has much of a case; Edmunds maybe being the closest. Hyde, Poyer, and Milano have obviously been very good, but they don't really have the numbers to get on to the Pro Bowl teams. Phillips has the impressive sack totals, but I think the underlying numbers (i.e. pressures) suggest the sacks have been a fluke/luck.

So basically, Tre is obviously very deserving. I think Brown should have made it but it's debatable. I don't think Edmunds should have made it, but he's close. The rest I don't think should have been particularly close.

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Our game plan was DEFINITELY perfect outside of a single miscommunication in the secondary which led to the Hurst TD. That was 61 of Lamar's passing yards right there. Take that one away and he was 15/24 for 84 yards passing which is only 5.6 yards per completion. Even still we held him to his lowest yardage total of the season at 185 total yards of offense. There is no one in this league the Bills cannot beat if they are on their game. No one. :thumbsup:

I agree, but the offense is such that the margin for error is tiny.  As you said, against the Ravens, one mistake by the defense and it was game over.  The offense has to be able to score more than 10 points at home, even against elite defenses, for us to be a true Super Bowl contender.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The team that has been poor to average for a long time and is having a breakout season this year? The team that is really young and has a lot of guys on their way up?

I see what you're saying, but that's not because of some unfairness. This is an extremely young team and the voters are just getting to know most of our players and teams with records like ours over the past four or five years don't tend to put a lot of guys in the Pro Bowl.

This'll even out quickly now that we're winning and our guys are maturing.

We went to the playoffs 2 years ago... I'm sorry, but we just didn't pop up out of nowhere with no recent track record prior.

I'm just not sure who else deserves it. Edmunds perhaps. He's a first alternate. Phillips has been good, but he has been such an unknown and his sacks are so surprising that I'm not surprised that fans, players, and coaches aren't on to him yet. Poyer and Hyde haven't had the turnovers this year. Nobody on offense deserves it. Closest might be John Brown, but he is only 17th in yards and 35th in TD's. Makes sense for him to be an alternate. Case could be made for Milano to be an alternate.

Just not any break out players on the Bills besides Tre White. They are a team, not a collection of super stars.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

None of those guys have pro bowl numbers. And they surely don’t have any star power to get non buffalo fans voting for them 

What “numbers” do you expect to see from a LB or safety?  If you watch the games (as I’m sure you do) you know that those guys just make play after play after play.  When Milano was out, for example, the defense noticeably suffered.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

What “numbers” do you expect to see from a LB or safety?  If you watch the games (as I’m sure you do) you know that those guys just make play after play after play.  When Milano was out, for example, the defense noticeably suffered.

It’s not the numbers WE need to see because we watch the team and see the effect. Pro bowl is popularity, Buffalo is not a fantasy football team and those are generally the most popular players. And I’d be willing to bet my tax return 85% of America has zero clue who Matt Milano or Jordan Poyer are and that they are starting players for the buffalo bills. So there’s no way they are getting votes from non bills fans. Milano is a stud, my nephew who is a giant Carolina fan watched 1-2 bills games this year and all he could talk about was how Milano jumps off the screen repeatedly. They just don’t have the name recognition other teams do. Baltimore, Kansas City and New England are the most popular teams in the league so their players will always be picked first in a popularity vote. 
If josh Allen was a better fantasy football player (I know it don’t matter to us) he would be a huge star similar to Lamar this season and people would love him without even seeing him play. 

Edited by Rc2catch

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s not the numbers WE need to see because we watch the team and see the effect. Pro bowl is popularity, Buffalo is not a fantasy football team and those are generally the most popular players. And I’d be willing to bet my tax return 85% of America has zero clue who Matt Milano or Jordan Poyer are and that they are starting players for the buffalo bills. So there’s no way they are getting votes from non bills fans. Milano is a stud, my nephew who is a giant Carolina fan watched 1-2 bills games this year and all he could talk about was how Milano jumps off the screen repeatedly. They just don’t have the name recognition other teams do. Baltimore, Kansas City and New England are the most popular teams in the league so their players will always be picked first in a popularity vote. 
If josh Allen was a better fantasy football player (I know it don’t matter to us) he would be a huge star similar to Lamar this season and people would love him without even seeing him play. 

I can’t argue with any of that, but I thought we were talking about which Bills deserve to go the pro bowl...I think those three guys deserve it, and I would probably add Tremaine Edmunds, who is significantly better than Dont’a Hightower.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I can’t argue with any of that, but I thought we were talking about which Bills deserve to go the pro bowl...I think those three guys deserve it, and I would probably add Tremaine Edmunds, who is significantly better than Dont’a Hightower.

Dont’a Hightower is a GREAT player. HoF caliber, in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Just to be clear, it isn't just fans. I think fellow coaches and players have more say regarding who gets in than the fans do.

But the same thing basically applies there as well.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Edmunds. Third leading tackler at MLB in the conference, head of one of the very top units in the league. Hightower isn't as good.

And Brown over Landry. Same yards, better Y/R, same TDs, better catch%, WR1 on a playoff team.