Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steptide

Not gonna totally blame Daboll, but blaming Daboll for playcalling

Recommended Posts

I definitely think he could've called some better plays, especially in the 2nd half. To his credit, Allen did improve after halftime though. 

 

However, I was certain after halftime, they'd start calling some jet sweeps with mckenzie or foster, but I don't think they called one yesterday. I know the Ravens were getting a ton of pressure, but still think play action would've been effective, and I don't think we saw alot of that yesterday either. Even if that didn't work, some quick dump offs to singletary over the middle probably would've worked with all the pressure. Daboll for whatever reason kept throwing the quick pass to the sideline. Admittedly, it did work at times, but some more creativity would've been nice. Anyway, just my 2 cents. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have liked to have seen some delayed draw plays. Especially when they were sending lbs at us off the edge and leaving the middle wide open. Or have a TE come off a block and just run up the field. There was no one there!

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daboll’s game plan was crap. The 49 ers exploited the Ravens on the edges with speed on the ground and with WR screens etc, and Daboll didn’t flow the blueprint. This team still looks like a screen is a foreign concept. He called several series of run, run, pass and had no answers for overload pressure. He followed up a great plan vs DAL with a terrible one for the Ravens. 

  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame Dabol for this ---  You don't run 3, 4, and 5 WR sets when the other team blitzes on every down!!!! 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I blame Dabol for this ---  You don't run 3, 4, and 5 WR sets when the other team blitzes on every down!!!! 

 

 

 

and if you do, you have quick routes designed to get the ball out quickly, much like NE does.  However, this was not happening.  

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that the Bills can’t remotely execute a simple screen is a huge red flag against Daboll imo.

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What infuriates me is their active/deactivate list. Why isn't this done based on the team they're playing? For example, why not deactivate Lee Smith/Tyler Kroft for that game and play Duke Williams? I just feel like certain games the Bills can use that physical type receiver. This game was one if them. Did Smith have any snap counts yesterday? Smith/Kroft seem to have similar roles minus the penalties for Kroft. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I blame Dabol for this ---  You don't run 3, 4, and 5 WR sets when the other team blitzes on every down!!!! 

 

 

A little off topic but I thought the final play of the game to brown was terrible. I don't know if that play was going to brown no matter what, but Allen had zero pressure on that pass. They could've done something a little more creative there 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Wood on the radio call was making the same point, virtually pleading for the Bills to run some screen plays, after noting the first time It was called in the 2nd half—I really don’t understand how you come from the NE tree where they love running that type of crap all day to make aggressive pressure pay, and get rid of the ball quick 

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the skycap said:

What infuriates me is their active/deactivate list. Why isn't this done based on the team they're playing? For example, why not deactivate Lee Smith/Tyler Kroft for that game and play Duke Williams? I just feel like certain games the Bills can use that physical type receiver. This game was one if them. Did Smith have any snap counts yesterday? Smith/Kroft seem to have similar roles minus the penalties for Kroft. 

I'd bet money Duke is active this week against the steelers. If the bills coaches can't see they need a big receiver when they play good defenses, they never will 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

A little off topic but I thought the final play of the game to brown was terrible. I don't know if that play was going to brown no matter what, but Allen had zero pressure on that pass. They could've done something a little more creative there 

 

Blame Daboll 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but the worst play call of the day (other than not QB sneaking it on 1st and goal at the half yard line) was when they had a 2nd and 1 around the, oh, 15 yard line and did a QB sneak. WHO THE HELL CALLS A QB SNEAK ON 2ND DOWN?!

 

Josh was horrible yesterday but you have to have more faith in your QB than that. Play action and fire a short throw the Beasley or Brown over the middle. Hell, just run Singletary if you want to play it safe as he has the ability to bust off a 10+ yard run.

 

That said, the Daboll hate is a bit much. I saw plenty of guys open and Allen missed them or they dropped good balls. Daboll can't execute the plays, that's on the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic titles must reflect the content of the topic (and it must contain more than just a name). This helps to reduce the number of duplicate topics and makes the community much more user friendly.

 

Please edit the title so that it properly reflects the discussion that you started.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a pretty bad day for the offense as a whole, coaches, players, etc. The amount of free rushers Baltimore had was maddening and beyond that it seemed like every other play at least one of their OL was getting beat by his guy. Receivers dropped passes, Allen missed open guys, etc. Despite all this, they still had a chance at the end and that's all you can ask for. And that definitely proves how different this team is than past teams. A past team that had a first half performance like they did yesterday would've likely imploded even worse and the game would've been a blowout. We've seen that show quite a few times. But this group is tough, resilient, and I don't think they're afraid/intimidated by anyone. They can hang with the better teams in this league, the next step is obviously winning those games. But hey, win one more this season and they're in the playoffs with a clean slate where anything can happen. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the other team seems to be blitzing almost every play why not adjust and take advantage of that aggressiveness? Instead they put Josh in a bad situation constantly. THis is all on Daboll's game plan.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish he'd forget Gore's name. Especially on meaningful downs. 

 

I know they like him personally and all but he's got to go. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random

thought. 
 

I really dislike it when I see frank gore on the field.  Wish it wasn’t the case.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MDH said:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but the worst play call of the day (other than not QB sneaking it on 1st and goal at the half yard line) was when they had a 2nd and 1 around the, oh, 15 yard line and did a QB sneak. WHO THE HELL CALLS A QB SNEAK ON 2ND DOWN?!

 

I agree there on both accounts.  Whether it was Daboll or Allen making that call on 2nd and 1, that play call more than any other shows a lack of football IQ by all.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We called a number of screens yesterday, and the players failed to execute on pretty much every single one of them.

 

So I'll give Daboll most of the blame for a bad game plan and bad adjustments, but some of it goes to the players for simply failing to execute.

 

You slow the blitz with deep balls and screens. We had plenty of each called, and our guys couldnt complete any of them.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I would have liked to have seen some delayed draw plays. Especially when they were sending lbs at us off the edge and leaving the middle wide open. Or have a TE come off a block and just run up the field. There was no one there!

Exactly! His in game adjustments are poor and they have been all year. Even though Josh has alot to improve on, Daboll is doing him no favors. Our first drive of the game yesterday,  3rd & 4 and he goes for the bomb. Josh is 1-20 on throws 30+. He's not ready yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly! His in game adjustments are poor and they have been all year. Even though Josh has alot to improve on, Daboll is doing him no favors. Our first drive of the game yesterday,  3rd & 4 and he goes for the bomb. Josh is 1-20 on throws 30+. He's not ready yet.

Don't know why he throws the deep ball on 3rd and 4.  Get the first down- throw a deep ball when it is 2nd and 1 or something!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I just wish he'd forget Gore's name. Especially on meaningful downs. 

 

I know they like him personally and all but he's got to go. 

Agreed; I’m sure he brings a lot of locker room intangibles to the table/mentoring Singletary, but in terms of a weapon, there’s no contest. He got his all time record, now let’s focus on getting Singletary his late season touches

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Don't know why he throws the deep ball on 3rd and 4.  Get the first down- throw a deep ball when it is 2nd and 1 or something!

Exactly and he's called the deep ball at least 7-8 times when its 3rd and short. Let's not kid ourselves people,  he's a mediocre OC. And it will effect Josh's timeline. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly! His in game adjustments are poor and they have been all year. Even though Josh has alot to improve on, Daboll is doing him no favors. Our first drive of the game yesterday,  3rd & 4 and he goes for the bomb. Josh is 1-20 on throws 30+. He's not ready yet.

Not even the first time this has happened either. Hes been dialing up the deep ball on third and short all year. Its getting pretty frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...