Not gonna totally blame Daboll, but blaming Daboll for playcalling

Steptide

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So does Beasley.  Are you telling me Edelman catches 100% of difficult thrown balls?

Edelman misses some too......  Beasley misses a lot.....  Yesterday was 50/50.  Not a great throw, but not terrible & Beasley's effort was mehhh....

And as per the thread, the Offense played scared.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So does Beasley.  Are you telling me Edelman catches 100% of difficult thrown balls?

He makes the big catches when they are needed most. Something Bills receivers still struggle with. There isn't a QB in the league that throws a perfect ball every time. Sometimes, if the ball hits you in the hands, you've got to make the play.

8 hours ago, GregPersons said:

I agree generally. You could see they were absolutely playing "not to lose" tonight, but that it was more the right call than the wrong one. They were aggressive in getting the lead-- going for in on 4th in the 1st Q was right -- but we were definitely limiting Allen.

I don't think it's frustrating that Gore lacks explosion -- when did he ever really have explosion? -- I think it's frustrating that Daboll's designs are running Gore outside. Why???? Singletary outside. Allen outside. McKenzie outside. Gore??? He's the between-the-tackles runner. He can give you 4 yards from nothing that way. 

Same with the other head scratchers that've been mentioned. I don't see how Dimarco or Lee Smith as potential targets on a passing play is ever a good idea but I dunno. Glad to see Kroft get his, what, 6th target of the year -- and the game winner. 

Gore never had top-end speed, but you can definitely see the difference in how he bursts through the hole now.  He's got nothing left in the tank, and it's the difference between 1-2 yard gains and 4-5 yard gains.

If you watch those plays again, I don't think they were designed outside runs.  In fact, it was pretty clear on the 2nd-Goal play (after the White INT) that Gore was going to throw it, but then pulled the ball down and took a loss.  There was another play that looked more like an inside run that he tried bouncing outside.

When it comes to DiMarco and Smith as passing targets, I think that Daboll is trying to show the defense run-heavy personnel, and then catch them off-guard by splitting them out wide.  The problem is, both are terrible at catching the ball and getting YAC.  In a nutshell, I think it really shows one of the big things this offense is missing.  We need some dual threats.  Tight Ends that can block well and be a threat in the passing game.  Running Backs that are dangerous on the ground and the air.  Receivers that have both deep speed, and the ability to win contested balls.  When you have offensive personnel like the Bills (who are one-trick ponies), it forces you to either tip your hand to the defense, or put those players in a position to do things they aren't good at.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They had 3 TOs with a minute 48 left in the first half with the ball and decided to run the clock out. At what point do you start trusting Allen?

I really cant argue a W. But at some point the ultra conservative play not to lose mentality is going to cost them a big game.... it already did against the Browns earlier in the year. 

And the celebration after getting the first down!!!! 

Funny all those posters saying conservative is the right p[lay as Hodges can't hurt the Bills, when the Bills practically did kneeldowns the last two drives of the game, will talk out of both sides of their mouths going into the half up 7-3, saying we should protect the lead, whereas if the Bills tried to move the ball, would have bemoaned the same thing if the Bills threw the ball, had to punt & then complained giving the ball back.

The team hates being on offense.

Maybe they can petition the league not to have to play offense & that the NFL just give them 17 points & let the opposition have the ball for 30 minutes to see if they can score more...... ?? 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don't understand the logic. 

If you aren't afraid of Hodges's then why are you afraid to throw and be aggressive on offense? 

Yep, get up by a few scores and then you can get conservative. It takes one miracle play to tie the game up last night. And make no mistake, Duck was throwing up prayers in the 4 quarter. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don't understand the logic. 

If you aren't afraid of Hodges's then why are you afraid to throw and be aggressive on offense? 

That's the point....  The McDermott truthers are saying the reason we were so conservative is because we knew Pittsburgh couldn't score (i.e. giving them two possessions at the end of the game), but then not acknowledging that if not scared, then see what the offense can do against a great defense.

No win arguments.

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They had 3 TOs with a minute 48 left in the first half with the ball and decided to run the clock out. At what point do you start trusting Allen?

I really cant argue a W. But at some point the ultra conservative play not to lose mentality is going to cost them a big game.... it already did against the Browns earlier in the year. 

Very simple.  I think the coaching staff starts getting aggressive when it becomes a better strategy than remaining conservative.

A common argument on this board is that we lost the Browns game BECAUSE the coaching staff was playing for the field goal.  I think that's very debatable for many reasons.  But even if you believe it, the Bills still have compiled a 10-4 record by playing this way.  It's hard to argue that changes are necessary, because of ONE GAME we lost by 3 points.

Quite simply, the coaching staff (correctly) recognizes that we have a Top 3 defense.  In most games, they can count on us allowing less than 17 points.  Worst case scenario, they may allow in the low 20s.  Go back and look at every game outside if the Eagles.  The times that we've struggled to put teams away, it was almost ALWAYS due to turnovers keeping an outmatched opponent in the game.  Especially during the first half of the season.

McDermott knows the recipe for this team to win games.  If the offense isn't turning the ball over, and can put together 3-4 scoring drives per week, we are going to win the vast majority of the time.