Not gonna totally blame Daboll, but blaming Daboll for playcalling

Steptide

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It pulls a linebacker or safety to split out wide with him....one less body in the middle.

That makes some sense, but then begs the question — who are we sending over the middle? That seems like where we should be seeing the TEs, or Beasley on a slant? 

The one Beasley throw that went over the middle, that bounced out of his hands and into an INT -- first, it hit him in the hands so he has to catch that, but I also put some of it on Daboll -- that is a harder catch for Beasley to make than it would be for Knox/Duke who don't also have to jump 6 inches to get their hands on it. 

(Of course Knox has the hardest time with the balls that hit him between the numbers so who knows). 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Fans get upset because they always want the team to play aggressive, and destroy the opponent by 20-30 points.

But sometimes, conservative is the right approach.

This coaching staff understands the strengths/weaknesses of the team.  They knew once we got up by 7 points, it was going to be very difficult for Pittsburgh to drive and score a touchdown.  They had a better chance of walking away with a W by grinding the clock and trusting for a defensive stop, than by having our offense try to put more points on the board.  Their strategy has resulted in a 10-4 record this year.  And in 3 of their 4 losses, they were in a position to tie or win at the very end.

I agree that it's INCREDIBLY frustrating to watch Frank Gore right now.  He's got absolutely no explosion, and is a sitting duck when the other team knows he's getting the ball.  But can you really blame them for giving Gore the ball when they have the lead... considering that Devon Singletary is struggling badly with fumbles?

The offense has improved greatly from 2017, but it's still a work in progress.  Coaching and playcalling is not the biggest cause for our 2019 struggles.  We need a between-the-tackles runner with a little bit of juice left in his legs.  We need another 1-2 receiving threats - preferably guys with more dependable hands.  And we need our Quarterback to continue improving his game.

I agree generally. You could see they were absolutely playing "not to lose" tonight, but that it was more the right call than the wrong one. They were aggressive in getting the lead-- going for in on 4th in the 1st Q was right -- but we were definitely limiting Allen.

I don't think it's frustrating that Gore lacks explosion -- when did he ever really have explosion? -- I think it's frustrating that Daboll's designs are running Gore outside. Why???? Singletary outside. Allen outside. McKenzie outside. Gore??? He's the between-the-tackles runner. He can give you 4 yards from nothing that way. 

Same with the other head scratchers that've been mentioned. I don't see how Dimarco or Lee Smith as potential targets on a passing play is ever a good idea but I dunno. Glad to see Kroft get his, what, 6th target of the year -- and the game winner. 

6 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

That makes some sense, but then begs the question — who are we sending over the middle? That seems like where we should be seeing the TEs, or Beasley on a slant? 

The one Beasley throw that went over the middle, that bounced out of his hands and into an INT -- first, it hit him in the hands so he has to catch that, but I also put some of it on Daboll -- that is a harder catch for Beasley to make than it would be for Knox/Duke who don't also have to jump 6 inches to get their hands on it. 

(Of course Knox has the hardest time with the balls that hit him between the numbers so who knows). 

If Allen simply makes a better throw, there isn’t an INT.  You can blame Daboll for a poor executed throw.  

You sign Beasley to be our version of Edelman and these are routine routes for him.  Beasley isn’t the only small WR who runs these routes.  Daboll came from NE, we are doing very similar play designs.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Allen simply makes a better throw, there isn’t an INT.  You can blame Daboll for a poor executed throw.  

You sign Beasley to be our version of Edelman and these are routine routes for him.  Beasley isn’t the only small WR who runs these routes.  Daboll came from NE, we are doing very similar play designs.

Allen hit Beasley with a better throw vs jets, still an INT

Thats on Beasley. Throw isn’t perfect, but attempt at catch was significantly worse

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Allen hit Beasley with a better throw vs jets, still an INT

Thats on Beasley. Throw isn’t perfect, but attempt at catch was significantly worse

Yes Beasley should have caught the pass at the Jets but why make him play goalie?  Hit him in the numbers especially when it was 5 yards down the field.

Throwing high over the middle is a recipe for an INT...and it happened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes Beasley should have caught the pass at the Jets but why make him play goalie?  Hit him in the numbers especially when it was 5 yards down the field.

Throwing high over the middle is a recipe for an INT...and it happened.

Those throws are attempted and completed all over the league every week. Beasley deserves majority of blame there, an average WR play turns that into a completion.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Those throws are attempted and completed all over the league every week. Beasley deserves majority of blame there, an average WR play turns that into a completion.

You’re right.  Josh should throw it high over the middle just like that every time because average WR’s make that catch 100% of the time.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

my only thought is that they knew the only way the Steelers beat us was with a defensive Or ST TD. So they decided to be super conservative, run the ball, limit mistakes, control the clock, and let the D win it.

Not a huge fan of that philosophy, but it worked. 

This ultra conservative approach to our offense will eventually hurt this team. You can't expect the defense to carry the load all year, including the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills got a back handed compliment in Peter King's MMQB.  The article is covering what Mike McCarthy is doing to prepare for interviews in January for a HC job.

"But his coaching group studied every offensive snap of the top 10 offenses last year, and they’ve continued dissecting the best teams this year. And they’ve found how the smart offensive teams—the Rams, the Niners, even the Bills—are using varieties of motion speeds, and different snap-points, and frustrating defenses."

So maybe Daboll has brought the Bills into the current offensive thinking - with better execution and skill players will make the offense dangerous in the future.

Daboll is a better play designer than play caller, imo,  play calling has been suspect for stretches this season, it’s like he loses focus on what is working at times and say, runs Gore twice in a row for a negative 7 yards, but ya gotta take the good with the bad, and it ain’t all bad, 10-4 baby!!

Go Bills!!!

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

Beasley is paid to catch the ball wherever it's thrown.  If he needs to have a perfect pass every time, he's not the player we thought he was.

Correct! If you watch the replay Beasley was turning his head because he was concerned about getting hit by the oncoming DB. That’s why he dropped the ball. Not good.

..despite trial and tribulations, ups and downs, head scratching WTF's, who had this club at 10-4 through 14 games, and 6-1 on the road including Dallas & Pittsburgh (T-Giving and flexed SNF national audiences)?.......sounds like a lousy formula to me (and I've been highly critical of Daboll's inconsistencies)......SMH........

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct! If you watch the replay Beasley was turning his head because he was concerned about getting hit by the oncoming DB. That’s why he dropped the ball. Not good.

I've seen several Bills players do this, most notably Knox, and Brown was also guilty of it last night.  It's frustrating. 

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

... Edelman routinely makes those kinds of catches for Brady....