Hind sight being ridiculously 20/20: should the Bills have picked up the 5th year on Shaq?

Just now, Paul Costa said:

No. He’s played well. We will have a opportunity to resign him and give him what he deserves. If not we get a comp pick correct?

It depends on the contract he gets and what we bring back in free agency. Yet nobody knows the true formula but the Patriots seem to max out comp picks. 

37 minutes ago, stevewin said:

That's one of my concerns honestly - if he needed a contract year to motivate him to play well, once he gets paid will he still be motivated.  Obviously the hope would be that he bought into The Process and his approach/mindset has been changed going forward.

See: Marcell Dareus.

I was in favor of it then and I’m still good with him becoming a FA. 1st Round pick who mostly flirted with BUST, though wasn’t quite bad enough to bench. Now 4 years in and he’s finally Average? With a big mouth?? I’m for letting him walk. I’d prefer a FA WR over a Draft pick, so Round 1 can be Edge/DE. Just my take.

I’m generally all for trying to keep our draft picks and it seems like a long time that one of the Bills picks saw a 2nd contract..( although that looks likely to change the last couple of classes.)

I think when they had to make the call though  he wasn’t playing up to the money..

If you could decide now, they probably keep him..

He is no super star but I like his attitude and his play this year... he seems a good fit in the rotation .. I wouldn’t  be against them trying to keep him although this doesn’t seem to happen a lot with the spurned 5th year player generally deciding to move on..

Good teams find under performing talent get them up to performance level and then let other teams over pay for them. 

Thats how I feel about both Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips. Guys like them are replacement level, I know both love Buffalo but you can find other guys who will produce like them for a fraction of the price. Now if both Lawson and Phillips dont find the big money in Free Agency then sure you circle back around and make them an offer that you find is fair.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure what this means 

The poster I was replying to said,

"That's one of my concerns honestly - if he needed a contract year to motivate him to play well, once he gets paid will he still be motivated.  Obviously the hope would be that he bought into The Process and his approach/mindset has been changed going forward."

The point I'm making is this is exactly what Marcell did. There was motivation to get the big contract. After that, ZERO motivation. I'm not saying Shaq and Dareus are equal. I agree with the poster that the hope is that Shaq has bought into the process and this wouldn't be an issue. But if he didn't play great in years 1-3, there's concern that after getting that contract, he could revert back to the way he was in those years. I trust that Beane would make the right decision there.

Just now, CLTbills said:

The poster I was replying to said,

"That's one of my concerns honestly - if he needed a contract year to motivate him to play well, once he gets paid will he still be motivated.  Obviously the hope would be that he bought into The Process and his approach/mindset has been changed going forward."

The point I'm making is this is exactly what Marcell did. There was motivation to get the big contract. After that, ZERO motivation. I'm not saying Shaq and Dareus are equal. I agree with the poster that the hope is that Shaq has bought into the process and this wouldn't be an issue. But if he didn't play great in years 1-3, there's concern that after getting that contract, he could revert back to the way he was in those years. I trust that Beane would make the right decision there.

Thanks!

As I mentioned it’ll be interesting to see if the upward trajectory of the franchise has any impact on player negotiations. We’ve all been wondering for years and years if it would. Now, we’re going to see. 

No. He’s an average, rotational DE. Not worth the 5th year option, IMO. They need to try and find another legitimate pass rusher at the position in the off season. Shaq is good vs the run and provides depth so they should hang onto him or Murphy but not both. If Shaq walks for a big offer then that settles the question of who gets replaced.

• Like (+1) 1

No he had shown no growth for 3 seasons.

I recently heard Chris Brown strongly implying that the organization was not impressed with his dedication to football after last season so bear that in mind.

The objective was to get the most out of him this year.   If he had the security of another year on his deal why would anyone expect anything different than he had shown in his first 3 seasons? 

Salary drives do that.   Mission accomplished.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's was drafted to be a big 3-4 defense edge setter in Rex's defunct defense.  Ragland was drafted to be on 3-4  inside backer thumper-type.   Neither position exists in the 4-3 played now.

My guess is he is he'll be offered a fair contract, but will be let go as the 4-3 we play now needs twitching edge rushers.  He is too big/slow to be a 4-3 end in the NFL.   Its all good.  Some 3-4 team will grab him and pay up to have him set their edge in a 3-4.   And likely so will finally end all remaining legacy from the defunct Rex Ryan defense.   Good riddance. 

Trust the Process.

Edited by ProcessTruster

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I think they did the right thing, although I think Shaq has been having a very nice year. I think he’s had “motivation” issues in past offseasons, strange how a big payday hanging over the head can light the fire...

He had a solid year last season and is having a very strong season now. Sometimes players take a few seasons to reach their potential. I do think he'll sign elsewhere, some team will make offer him more than we care to pay, I would think. I can't see Shaq being one of the players Beane gives the massive extension to. But his leaving will leave a massive hole on the line.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Throwing in a little butterfly effect, though, if he had the 5th year would he be the same Shaq we are getting now?

I actually think he showed us a little something last year.

Mods, I’m being honest here, I did not check if this was an already existing topic and it might be.  Please feel free to lock this puppy up if it is.

a long term deal is gonna be cheaper. His value is likely 8M AVV Max. I think they played it right. 

what is interesting is seems picks after 10 overall are seeing less and less 5th year option exercised. Would love to see the real breakdown but it feels that way. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Who’s been playing better then him on our DL? 

He’s been awesome against the run and very effective / actually creating havoc in the backfield/ rushing the passer 

I'd say he is the beneficiary of the scheme where they have a lot of movement that create free lanes for him to slide through, especially as of late.  I don't see him being as effective in other schemes which routinely require him to beat his man one on one.

Edited by matter2003