Steelers game is key to Bills making the playoffs

Big Turk

Currently checking out the playoff odds...if the Bills go 1-4 down the stretch and only end up beating the Steelers they still make the playoffs 76% of the time in the NY Times playoff odds tracker.

Steelers game is key...win that game and regardless of whatever else happens, the Bills likely make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, matter2003 said:

Currently checking out the playoff odds...if the Bills go 1-4 down the stretch and only end up beating the Steelers they still make the playoffs 76% of the time in the NY Times playoff odds tracker.

Steelers game is key...win that game and regardless of whatever else happens, the Bills likely make the playoffs.

Definitely the most important game left on the schedule. With 8 wins in the bag, beating the Steelers and Jets should get it done. Anything more than that is a bonus.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

Definitely the most important game left on the schedule. With 8 wins in the bag, beating the Steelers and Jets should get it done. Anything more than that is a bonus.

And they could definitely help their chances by not beating Dallas and winning against an NFC team...no need to hurt our playoff chances by doing that.  Tired of these NFC games late in the season when we are making a push for the playoffs ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

They went over the match ups for the afc teams on wgr this morning and the good part is all the teams we need to worry about catching us still need to play each other.

CLE - PIT

IND - TEN

KC - OAK

And those are only this weekend.  Teams looking to catch up to us are going to take another loss at some point.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree but I say once more - if we can not defeat a legit top team during the regular season, what is the point of "making the playoffs"?

Just so we can say "One and Done"?

Making the palyoffs, even if one and done, would be huge.  First of all, unlike 2 years ago, this year they're on the verge of making the playoffs because they won all the games they needed to, not because of tie breakers and other teams helping us by winnning/losing certain games.  IMO,  that makes this year's playoff push pretty special.  

Secondly, for a team as snake biten and bad as the Bills have been for 2 decades, they need to learn how to win.  Not only in the regular season, but also in the playoffs.  Just getting there, experiencing the level of intensity and then going in to next year ..expecting to make it back.. Is a huge step in the development of a winning culture and building a perennial playoff team.  

So I have to disagree, being one and done in the playoffs would be a massive step for this team and the culture they're trying to build.  Now of course, we all hope they'll win in the playoffs...but I would not by any means consider a one a done playoff season as pointless.    

With that said... If they become a perennial one and done team, then it's time to make a change.  But we have about 3 or 4 years ro worry about that ?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree but I say once more - if we can not defeat a legit top team during the regular season, what is the point of "making the playoffs"?

I like the idea of beating a tough team. I also feel what if scenarios can trap ya- one game at a time I say! 

Thanks for that percentage OP.
I like the way that game looks today more so than it did two weeks ago. Barely beat Cincy and benched the backup QB for the third string QB. I feel like Sean and Leslie will scheme a good D. 
I feel like the Bills will win at least 2 out of the next 5 games. 
I like the way the Bills matchup against Baltimore. Even more so with Milano showing he is 100% healthy. 
That NE game isn’t a lock loss. 
Feel like the Jets game might one of the tougher ones left. Weird to say based on records, but they seem to be playing good finally.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And what's the point of winning a playoff game if you don't win the super bowl?  And what's the point of winning the super bowl if you don't do it every year?

Until this team wins 8 super bowls in a row, they're just pretenders in my book.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

And what's the point of winning a playoff game if you don't win the super bowl?  And what's the point of winning the super bowl if you don't do it every year?

Until this team wins 8 super bowls in a row, they're just pretenders in my book.

Oh, certainly, the reductio ad absurdum can be applied to almost every argument.  I just personally disagree with the focus that it's of such great importance to make the playoffs even if we can't compete successfully with the teams that we'll play there.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thanks for that percentage OP.
I like the way that game looks today more so than it did two weeks ago. Barely beat Cincy and benched the backup QB for the third string QB. I feel like Sean and Leslie will scheme a good D. 
I feel like the Bills will win at least 2 out of the next 5 games. 
I like the way the Bills matchup against Baltimore. Even more so with Milano showing he is 100% healthy. 
That NE game isn’t a lock loss. 
Feel like the Jets game might one of the tougher ones left. Weird to say based on records, but they seem to be playing good finally.

If the Bills win a couple more, as well as that other team in our division, its very likely the final Jets game doesn't matter for our standings?   At that point, they could treat it like a bye??

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we can beat at least ONE of those teams, being one & done in the playoffs will still feel special. 

But if we close out the season going 1-4, losing to every team with a winning record to back into the playoffs, it'll definitely prove all the doubters right about this team. 

I'd rather make it to the playoffs than not, but how can anyone feel good about a team that literally cannot beat a single good team all year? It's not like the Steelers, Cowboys or Eagles are even "good" necessarily either, they're simply not AWFUL trainwrecks like the Dolphins x2, Jets x2, Bengals, Redskins, Broncos, Giants etc. 

But hey, we can at least point to the Titans as a team with a winning record that we've beaten after yesterday! Even though we beat them when they were 2-2 & starting Mariotta, they've gone 4-1 since starting Tannehill. They're now 6-5 on the year, so we officially have one win against a winning team! YAY!?

sexy.  that's how if feel every morning when i wake up.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

If we can beat at least ONE of those teams, being one & done in the playoffs will still feel special. 

But if we close out the season going 1-4, losing to every team with a winning record to back into the playoffs, it'll definitely prove all the doubters right about this team. 

I'd rather make it to the playoffs than not, but how can anyone feel good about a team that literally cannot beat a single good team all year? It's not like the Steelers, Cowboys or Eagles are even "good" necessarily either, they're simply not AWFUL trainwrecks like the Dolphins x2, Jets x2, Bengals, Redskins, Broncos, Giants etc. 

But hey, we can at least point to the Titans as a team with a winning record that we've beaten after yesterday! Even though we beat them when they were 2-2 & starting Mariotta, they've gone 4-1 since starting Tannehill. They're now 6-5 on the year, so we officially have one win against a winning team! YAY!?

you sure about that?

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, certainly, the reductio ad absurdum can be applied to almost every argument.  I just personally disagree with the focus that it's of such great importance to make the playoffs even if we can't compete successfully with the teams that we'll play there.

In the playoffs, anything can happen.  Look at the 2007 Giants and 2005 Steelers....squeaked into the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Exactly what you are hoping for because we all know you are one of those haters!  You have been noticeably absent the past few weeks - I wonder why? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

first point is that it’s a step in the right direction. Second point is that anything can happen in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

they go 1-4 they deserve whatever they get

was a lot more fun when Bills fans didn't have to give a darn about other teams....  Kelly's teams just went out and won

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think we beat the Cowboys.

I don't know man...Cowboys are coming home on Thanksgiving after laying an egg against the Patriots with the owner blasting the coaching staff...with the #1 offense in the NFL and a pretty good D?  

I think this could have blowout loss written all over it for the Bills.  I do think if the Bills keep it close they win the game. I believe that McD is a better coach than Garrett but Dallas should win this game.

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

Win the next two and the Steelers game doesn’t matter, other than for an outside shot at the division title if the pats drop a game or two plus lose to us down the stretch. 

Honestly think the next 2 are blowout losses. Even the Patriot defense got smoked by the Ravens.

Because what you do in the regular season means nothing once you're in the playoffs.  

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't know man...Cowboys are coming home on Thanksgiving after laying an egg against the Patriots with the owner blasting the coaching staff...with the #1 offense in the NFL and a pretty good D?  

I think this could have blowout loss written all over it for the Bills.  I do think if the Bills keep it close they win the game. I believe that McD is a better coach than Garrett but Dallas should win this game.

Offense is going to have to score points.  Neither team has beaten anyone of note but dallas did beat the eagles who absolutely torched us with zone runs?  The buffalo run defense is going to get a helping of OZ in this one with one of the best backs in the NFL.  They better be ready to make some plays.  

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly think the next 2 are blowout losses. Even the Patriot defense got smoked by the Ravens.

I think the Ravens is probably the toughest game left on the schedule, even more than the Pats*, but still winnable. Being at home and coming off the mini bye will be to our advantage, plus it just feels like the Ravens will be due for a clunker. Neutral site on a Sunday I think we’d have a slight edge over the boys, but the short week at home plays to their advantage. They’ll both be tough, but I’m not writing either one off.

• Like (+1) 1

so they can save that one legit win for the playoffs!  Ha!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Because what you do in the regular season means nothing once you're in the playoffs.  

Offense is going to have to score points.  Neither team has beaten anyone of note but dallas did beat the eagles who absolutely torched us with zone runs?  The buffalo run defense is going to get a helping of OZ in this one with one of the best backs in the NFL.  They better be ready to make some plays.  

Yeah they didn't just beat the Eagles they obliterated them...worse than the Eagles beat us, our game was close until the 2nd half...

I agree...Bills run D better get ready, they are going to face a lot of edge runs because they seemed to have issues with those all season.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So hard to get them off the field - theyre always in 3rd and makeable.  Lots of first downs, lots of TOP... Just going to have to score points and attack. 

It's in buffalo which is nice - not sure he's played a game in cold, snowy, windy, wet conditions.  

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

first point is that it’s a step in the right direction. Second point is that anything can happen in the playoffs. 

i'm not sure why people have that attitude either.  this team needs to get to a point where they can be considered regulars for the playoffs.  is just getting there enough?  no, but i'm with you in the sense that it's a step in the right direction.  you can't win a playoff game if you're not there.  even for this team to squeak out 10 wins is a success.  i know some don't think so, but you play who is on your schedule.  the bills are typically one of the teams at the bottom looking up.  to not be this year is a good thing.  again, should it be considered an end product?  not at all, but these are all good things no matter how anyone wants to spin it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah they didn't just beat the Eagles they obliterated them...worse than the Eagles beat us, our game was close until the 2nd half...

I agree...Bills run D better get ready, they are going to face a lot of edge runs because they seemed to have issues with those all season.

Our game was also a fundamental run defense error.  Not sure how they addressed it - but the team has seemed to play a bit hungrier and angrier since the cleveland and Philly games.  

The fact that we don't have a strong screen game didn't help.  Super windy day in buffalo and their o-line came in trying to make a statement.  

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It will be interesting to see what McD comes up with against the Ravens. 

They really hurt you running, and with TEs.  They built their offense around heavier personnel this year after the playoff loss last year to a team basically playing an entire game in dime defense.  Ingram the feature back, Edwards the power back. 2 TE's drafted in 2018 are playing a ton and creating mismatches.  And you have insane speed and elusiveness on every play coming from the QB.  Their WRs are also fast, so they will take shots during the game - but the backs, LJs legs, and the TEs are the ones moving the chains.