Week 12: Broncos at Bills Postgame Thread

Also, According to this article on the Athletic -

https://theathletic.com/1406577/2019/11/24/denver-broncos-buffalo-bills-quarterback-change/

“It was so bad that the Broncos began the fourth quarter with 136 net yards and finished the game with 134 — the lowest output by any NFL team (including playoffs) in 26 years.”

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This was my first game since 2014, and the first win I've seen in person since 2007, when I was in 7th grade. I spent most of the day in a nostalgic, contemplative mood. I saw the festivities beforehand, and everything about the stadium and game itself, through the hopeful eyes of that preteen version of myself. Only this time, my Bills are doing something I've never seen before. I wish I could show that kid what this looks and feels like. It's so fun. I'm just enjoying this season so much

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Denver were garbage.

We disposed of them, going at about 50% of our true potential. Still Not making catches and taking flip of the coin INTs, but did it with relative ease.

Depth on the O-line is looking good.

Take our chances this week on the national spotlight and they'll finally know our name!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills seem to be hitting their stride at just the right time of the year. If they can steal one or two wins in the next four games, that would be swell.

I don't understand....you would be ok with 1 win in next 4 games?

16 hours ago, Big C said:

Hey! That pick cost us the shutout!?

No it didn’t. We (T. White) picked them off near the goal line on the ensuing drive. 

Your comment speaks a lot to your fandom though.

13 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

The last two have been the most complete games, really pleased with the changes.  Penalties are the only negative, but that group seemed bound and determined to disrupt the flow of the game.  Anyone have stats on the games they have called?

They were absolutely brutal! In the end it evened out, so the Broncos can biotch too. But through the 1st half, I became convinced they were on the ‘take’!

13 hours ago, VW82 said:

Also, this felt like the quintessential Josh Allen game: some spectacular scrambles/runs, some "wow" throws, an ugly turnover, an ugly almost turnover, some ball placement issues that left you yelling at the receivers then at Allen, a timely 4th quarter drive that sealed the game, and most importantly a W.      

You’re kidding, right? I mean you have to be! Quintessential?? Compared to what? 170+ plus passes without a pick before today. Then answers it with his  record tying 7th straight 2 TD performance. Freak of nature 1000 yrds rushing in 22 games. He’s developed fantastic new passes to add to his repertoire -like the looping bucket drops just over a DB to Duke a few games ago and today to Beasley who ran to a 1st & Goal. Consistent and significant improvement in overall accuracy. 3rd Down conversions galore, regardless of yardage needed. Making & changing calls at the line which produce touchdowns. Howitzer arm that the wind, snow & rain are powerless to impact. An ever-ascending performance ratio. 

I gotcher ‘quintessential’. Right here.

99E99FB4-DEC7-4586-8FBF-88AC0173789E.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/23/broncos-scouting-report-vs-buffalo-bills-predictions/

Wow, these Denver writers were convinced the Broncos were going to beat us. 

yup.  I posted a link a few days ago. 

haven’t beaten a team with a winning record.  
blah blah blah 

who’s laughing now 

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/23/broncos-scouting-report-vs-buffalo-bills-predictions/

Wow, these Denver writers were convinced the Broncos were going to beat us. 

Its pretty much what most of the national sports guys were saying. "Bills are fake and havent beaten anyone. They will fall down the stretch and miss the playoffs." They all seemed to love the Raiders though who just got man handled by the Jets.... 8-3, look at us now America!

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Does anyone know what happened on that JA interception today? There was no replay of the play.

Bad read? Bad throw? Wind?

In his postgame, he said it was a bad read - I'd have to go back and listen but something about they showed quarters and then shifted into something else

It looked as though the ball released funny and sailed on him as well - I hope he gets the chance to go look at the film on that one because it wasn't just a mistaken read.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his postgame, he said it was a bad read - I'd have to go back and listen but something about they showed quarters and then shifted into something else

It looked as though the ball released funny and sailed on him as well - I hope he gets the chance to go look at the film on that one because it wasn't just a mistaken read.

They disguised the coverages, it’s in Joe B’s article in The Athletic.  Backside safety shifted over to the post at the last second and Allen didn’t see him.

• Like (+1) 1

Per Joe B:

He wasn’t without his faults, as Allen committed his first interception since Week 5 — though the encouraging part is that there was a great deal of thought behind the interception.

“The coverage that I thought they were in was quarters, and their safety was committing to the run. That’s our cue to kind of put it over the top, and my eyes were on (the safety) and I didn’t see the backside safety moving post high,” Allen said. “They disguised it well, they made a play. Obviously it’s one that I want back, but it’s one that I’d probably do again.”

The interception isn’t the desired result, but that line of thinking shows the inherent progress Allen is making in diagnosing defenses — needing Denver to disguise it to make the error. It’s a negative and a positive play all at once because he’s thinking through the play at an advanced level, which will teach the quarterback to look for those coverages moving forward. Allen did have another turnover-worthy throw that he got away with but protected the ball otherwise. He continues to shows signs of improvement, even through errors, to help the Bills come away with a victory.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dakrider said:

Just emphasizing that Josh Allen won't reach 300 yards passing if the Bills are winning and simply try to run out the clock.  They went into run mode in the 3rd qtr. except for a few big plays, and it was the right thing to do in this game.  

Not only that, but 1) the Bills play again in 4 days and it makes sense to rest JA's arm and reduce injury risk to the WR and JA  2) the conditions pretty much sucked for passing 3) after securing a lead, the Bills had a secondary goal of securing Frank Gore's run into the 3rd All Time Slot in the History Books.

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

From Joe B:

He wasn’t without his faults, as Allen committed his first interception since Week 5 — though the encouraging part is that there was a great deal of thought behind the interception.

“The coverage that I thought they were in was quarters, and their safety was committing to the run. That’s our cue to kind of put it over the top, and my eyes were on (the safety) and I didn’t see the backside safety moving post high,” Allen said. “They disguised it well, they made a play. Obviously it’s one that I want back, but it’s one that I’d probably do again.”

The interception isn’t the desired result, but that line of thinking shows the inherent progress Allen is making in diagnosing defenses — needing Denver to disguise it to make the error. It’s a negative and a positive play all at once because he’s thinking through the play at an advanced level, which will teach the quarterback to look for those coverages moving forward. Allen did have another turnover-worthy throw that he got away with but protected the ball otherwise. He continues to shows signs of improvement, even through errors, to help the Bills come away with a victory.

I also think when he sees the film on that, he'll see there was something wrong with either the route or the throw.  But I liked his answer.  He mistook the coverage, but it wasn't at all a careless or reckless throw and he sounded comfortable in his skin about the idea that mistakes will happen.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only that, but 1) the Bills play again in 4 days and it makes sense to rest JA's arm and reduce injury risk to the WR and JA  2) the conditions pretty much sucked for passing 3) after securing a lead, the Bills had a secondary goal of securing Frank Gore's run into the 3rd All Time Slot in the History Books.

I’ll add a 3rd reason; McDermott simply wont run up a score on any team. As long as the decision is late enough in the contest that it can’t backfire, this mantra plays well for fewer injuries, eats the gameclock and doesn’t give opponents bulletin board material for the next time they play. Belichek never cared about this -but his day of reckoning is approaching..  

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I also think when he sees the film on that, he'll see there was something wrong with either the route or the throw.  But I liked his answer.  He mistook the coverage, but it wasn't at all a careless or reckless throw and he sounded comfortable in his skin about the idea that mistakes will happen.

Allen has almost reached the point where you need to confuse him to beat him, as it's becoming more and more difficult to out-execute him once the ball is snapped.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll add a 3rd reason; McDermott simply wont run up a score on any team. As long as the decision is late enough in the contest that it can’t backfire, this mantra plays well for fewer injuries, eats the gameclock and doesn’t give opponents bulletin board material for the next time they play. Belichek never cared about this -but his day of reckoning is approaching..  

I think you're correct, but I'm not sure I love it as a strategy.  It also doesn't give the team game-time execution of some of their plays so that they have better confidence they can do them in crunch time.  On the other hand, it also doesn't put more stuff on film for the next guy.  It's a door that swings both ways.

I think at this point, McDermott must be aware that we're a bit thin on talent in a couple areas and making it work with some smoke and mirrors - so he would strategically prefer the narrative where other teams under-rate and take us lightly.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're correct, but I'm not sure I love it as a strategy.  It also doesn't give the team game-time execution of some of their plays so that they have better confidence they can do them in crunch time.  On the other hand, it also doesn't put more stuff on film for the next guy.  It's a door that swings both ways.

I think at this point, McDermott must be aware that we're a bit thin on talent in a couple areas and making it work with some smoke and mirrors - so he would strategically prefer the narrative where other teams under-rate and take us lightly.

I see what you did there ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interception per attempt percentage through week 12.  Yet every commentator seems compelled to discuss Josh Allen's interception problems.  We don't hear to much about Prescott's, Garopppolo's, Goffs, or Ryan's problems. 

1 Jameis Winston 4.6%
4 Sam Darnold 3.8%
3 Baker Mayfield 3.5%
4 Ryan Fitzpatrick 3.4%
10 Mason Rudolph 3.4%
2 Philip Rivers 3.4%
4 Jimmy Garoppolo 3.0%
10 Kyle Allen 2.8%
4 Jared Goff 2.7%
26 Ryan Tannehill 2.6%
4 Matt Ryan 2.5%
4 Dak Prescott 2.5%
12 Daniel Jones 2.4%
12 Andy Dalton 2.4%
12 Josh Allen 2.3%
26 Case Keenum 2.1%
15 Deshaun Watson 1.9%
20 Joe Flacco 1.9%
26 Drew Brees 1.9%
16 Mitchell Trubisky 1.9%
20 Lamar Jackson 1.8%
16 Derek Carr 1.8%
20 Matthew Stafford 1.7%
16 Carson Wentz 1.5%
26 Jacoby Brissett 1.4%
26 Gardner Minshew 1.3%
20 Kyler Murray 1.3%
20 Tom Brady 1.1%
36 Teddy Bridgewater 1.0%
33 Kirk Cousins 0.9%
33 Russell Wilson 0.9%
36 Patrick Mahomes 0.6%
36 Aaron Rodgers 0.5%

27 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL I missed this before. 

Did you notice that a number of the Bills players were putting their hands down at hip level and making this kind of "ride 'em Cowboy" galloping motion to celebrate?

Heh

Also I bet we see the basis for the Jordan Phillips/Josh Allen "Jennifer Grey" lift.  I saw another players lifting up Brown to celebrate.  I bet at one point JA said "sure, lift his 180 lb ass. now if you lifted me, that'd show something" and Phillips was like "I can do that.  Bring your 240 lb ass over here"

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Interception per attempt percentage through week 12.  Yet every commentator seems compelled to discuss Josh Allen's interception problems.  We don't hear to much about Prescott's, Garopppolo's, Goffs, or Ryan's problems. 

1 Jameis Winston 4.6%
4 Sam Darnold 3.8%
3 Baker Mayfield 3.5%
4 Ryan Fitzpatrick 3.4%
10 Mason Rudolph 3.4%
2 Philip Rivers 3.4%
4 Jimmy Garoppolo 3.0%
10 Kyle Allen 2.8%
4 Jared Goff 2.7%
26 Ryan Tannehill 2.6%
4 Matt Ryan 2.5%
4 Dak Prescott 2.5%
12 Daniel Jones 2.4%
12 Andy Dalton 2.4%
12 Josh Allen 2.3%
26 Case Keenum 2.1%
15 Deshaun Watson 1.9%
20 Joe Flacco 1.9%
26 Drew Brees 1.9%
16 Mitchell Trubisky 1.9%
20 Lamar Jackson 1.8%
16 Derek Carr 1.8%
20 Matthew Stafford 1.7%
16 Carson Wentz 1.5%
26 Jacoby Brissett 1.4%
26 Gardner Minshew 1.3%
20 Kyler Murray 1.3%
20 Tom Brady 1.1%
36 Teddy Bridgewater 1.0%
33 Kirk Cousins 0.9%
33 Russell Wilson 0.9%
36 Patrick Mahomes 0.6%
36 Aaron Rodgers 0.5%

I think there are two prongs to this.  One is the old saw "let a man build a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep until noon".  A lot of the football press is kind of lazy, especially when it comes to perennial non-contenders.  The narrative on Josh Allen is that he's wildly inaccurate and throws a lot of picks.  So football press outside of B'lo is gonna just ride with that, until a large number of noon showdowns build up.

The other is, Josh Allen's worst day was against the very good Pats D and the narrative is we've been playing an easy schedule and limiting his mistakes by limiting his throws.  So the narrative will remain until they see how Allen fares against teams regarded as elite such as NE and Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL I missed this before. 

Did you notice that a number of the Bills players were putting their hands down at hip level and making this kind of "ride 'em Cowboy" galloping motion to celebrate?

Heh

Also I bet we see the basis for the Jordan Phillips/Josh Allen "Jennifer Grey" lift.  I saw another players lifting up Brown to celebrate.  I bet at one point JA said "sure, lift his 180 lb ass. now if you lifted me, that'd show something" and Phillips was like "I can do that.  Bring your 240 lb ass over here"

I think there are two prongs to this.  One is the old saw "let a man build a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep until noon".  A lot of the football press is kind of lazy, especially when it comes to perennial non-contenders.  The narrative on Josh Allen is that he's wildly inaccurate and throws a lot of picks.  So football press outside of B'lo is gonna just ride with that, until a large number of noon showdowns build up.

The other is, Josh Allen's worst day was against the very good Pats D and the narrative is we've been playing an easy schedule and limiting his mistakes by limiting his throws.  So the narrative will remain until they see how Allen fares against teams regarded as elite such as NE and Baltimore.

Denver was regarded as an elite defense. Browns are regarded as an elite defense.  So there's that.  I think it is 100% lazy reporting. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Was listening to the Broncos “Schopp and Bullfrog” on 104.3 on the way to drop my car rental this morning.

Th conversation was that, Broncos fans that are In love with Josh Allen and pissed that Elway didn’t draft him (which, that’s a thing?) should pump the brakes.  Allen has played an easy schedule, check back in a mont (radio guy “oh I’ll remember and will call our listeners out!” cool, dude).

Apparently there’s a guy that calls every afternoon about Right Josh.  The DJs have dubbed last years QB class “The HOF 5”.

Just thought it was funny that Broncos fans regret passing in Josh and that all sports radio guys are miserable bastages... ? :beer:

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No it didn’t. We (T. White) picked them off near the goal line on the ensuing drive. 

Your comment speaks a lot to your fandom though.

Not sure what you mean, but you're totally right. Had to make a joke before checking facts!

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Allen has almost reached the point where you need to confuse him to beat him, as it's becoming more and more difficult to out-execute him once the ball is snapped.

You really need to discuss this analysis with @Nextmanup -- who has been noticeably absent the past couple of weeks, by the way -- as he knows for certain Allen sucks and it's only a matter of time before the rest of us wake up.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

You really need to discuss this analysis with @Nextmanup -- who has been noticeably absent the past couple of weeks, by the way -- as he knows for certain Allen sucks and it's only a matter of time before the rest of us wake up.

Sorry eball. I've promised that I will save my one and only "I told you so" for the day after Josh delivers a Lombardi trophy for the Bills.

And then you're all going to get it in spectacular fashion.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, eball said:

he refuses to respond when he's actually asked to explain himself which is ironic considering he's quick to let us know that most of the board is not capable of being reasonable.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Was listening to the Broncos “Schopp and Bullfrog” on 104.3 on the way to drop my car rental this morning.

Th conversation was that, Broncos fans that are In love with Josh Allen and pissed that Elway didn’t draft him (which, that’s a thing?) should pump the brakes.  Allen has played an easy schedule, check back in a mont (radio guy “oh I’ll remember and will call our listeners out!” cool, dude).

Apparently there’s a guy that calls every afternoon about Right Josh.  The DJs have dubbed last years QB class “The HOF 5”.

Just thought it was funny that Broncos fans regret passing in Josh and that all sports radio guys are miserable bastages... ? :beer:

Well, they did pass on "Right Josh" Rosen and Lamar "Boy Wonder" Jackson as well.  I would actually think if they want to go all hindsight on Elway's ass, LJax right now would make the better target.

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Sorry eball. I've promised that I will save my one and only "I told you so" for the day after Josh delivers a Lombardi trophy for the Bills.

And then you're all going to get it in spectacular fashion.

Only if he also throws for 300 yards in that Super Bowl, otherwise it doesn't really count.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Only if he also throws for 300 yards in that Super Bowl, otherwise it doesn't really count.

I've said it before: I don't care if the Bills win the Super Bowl because the rest of the league's 32 teams contract E. coli and have to forfeit the season...I'm counting it. The rest of the football watching world can kiss my asterisk.

• Awesome! (+1) 2