McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Then why trade a 3rd for Benjamin? Move up for Zay? They have given up premium picks to move up in the draft the last 2 years. If AJ Green would have cost "multiple" premium picks, then sure. If they weren't willing to give up a 2nd for Green, then shame on them. Especially with 89 million of cap room next year. 

They don't actually have 89 million to spend.  They will spend 1/2 that at best.  Current roster players need to be paid.  

There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown towards McDermott in this thread.  I am very surprised.  The man got a lesser team to the playoffs then what Rex had and went 5-11.  Then he followed it up by leading probably the worst team in the league to 6-10.  Now they are 5-2 and 10 wins is a real possibility.  What am I missing??

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown towards McDermott in this thread.  I am very surprised.  The man got a lesser team to the playoffs then what Rex had and went 5-11.  Then he followed it up by leading probably the worst team in the league to 6-10.  Now they are 5-2 and 10 wins is a real possibility.  What am I missing??

He lost on Sunday and didn't make any trades to make sure it doesn't happen again.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, GG said:

Dick Jauron once went 13-3

Not with Buffalo he didn't. But you knew that, didn't you, troll?

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

You're missing the fact that you're part of one of the least knowledgeable fan bases in the NFL.

I've come to that sad conclusion this year. Edit: not saying you're one of them. But they ARE legion.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

angry thread  lol

who knows what McD was saying ?

he might.
no question it is a fair statement nonetheless , room to improve there.

for me? i did not see anything worth trading for.
no magic pony to be had.

Keep grinding and building the hard way, and do your best to find some gems in the draft while scouring the waiver wire for upgrades shaking loose.

a good trade is very hard to come by. 

imo

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You're missing the fact that you're part of one of the least knowledgeable fan bases in the NFL.

I've come to that sad conclusion this year.

Right, because New England's fan base is a congressional library of football knowledge, same with Pittsburgh.

Your statement is so far off a map can't even help it.

6 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

...when Marrone threw his hat in the ring, he made "culture change" a major selling point with Brandon and followed up regularly on his status.. for all of his coaching faults, that's why he ended up getting hired....but his General Patton style ended up with Brandon and Whaley turning on him...McD knew what was needed and has done so IMO.....no problem with his ongoing approach.......

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You DO read this forum daily, right?

I do.  Football doesn't attract the brightest of individuals, in general.  From what I've seen, a good number of posters know more than the fanbases of a lot of other  teams.

You seem to take any criticism of McD very personally, and I'm not sure why.  There is a lot to be critical of; and yes, he does do some things right.  From what I can tell, he's still learning on the job and still needs to get better.

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not with Buffalo he didn't. But you knew that, didn't you, troll?

He didn't.  But he was certainly 5-1 in Buffalo, which I'm guessing you praised at the time too, and laughed at anyone who suggested that their early wins were not sustainable. 

57 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not to mention, the Bengals WERE NOT trading Green. But who needs facts?

Cincy GM told you that? What's his contact info? 

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

They don't actually have 89 million to spend.  They will spend 1/2 that at best.  Current roster players need to be paid.  

They have 89 million in cap space next year, spin however you would like. 

On 10/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I think this is mostly a shot at Russ Brandon 

...which is a fair assessment IMO...he was elevated into positions woefully unqualified for based solely on RW's element of trust after the "Inner Circle" collapsed during the Donohoe era.....

I think he is probably stating that there wasn't a reasonably priced trade to be had. I don't think that there were any trade deadlines from the previous administration to compare it to. But the point stands that you don't need to make a move if one isn't out there to be had. 

Basically, they didnt feel the need to make a move for the sake of making a move.  From reports they were in on Sanders and Sanu.  Imo NE vastly overpaid and Denver wouldn't want to face Sanders in a month and sending him to the NFC makes more sense.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What current roster players need to be paid????

There is not a single starter that needs a new contract. They are all under contract through 2020. 

It would be wise to extend Hyde & Poyer while they still have the cap room.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What current roster players need to be paid????

There is not a single starter that needs a new contract. They are all under contract through 2020. 

Poyer is underpaid and should be extended with a new deal. Tre is eligible for an extension, as is Matt Milano. They should consider extending Lawson imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Poyer is underpaid and should be extended with a new deal. Tre is eligible for an extension, as is Matt Milano. They should consider extending Lawson imo. 

You and I both know they won't extend Lawson and its BS. He will get a decent deal in free agency. He might opt for a 1yr prove it deal with someone else hoping a different coaching staff will give him more opportunities and thus a bigger signing bonus the following year.

Poyer is underpaid but Bills have leverage.  They have other safeties on the roster and will almost certainly draft one next year.

Agree they should extend Tre, but they won't.  They will just use the 5th year extension to buy some time.

Im not as enamored with Milano as most but he has mostly made me look silly. Again, there is no need to extend him. He's signed on a rookie deal for two more years. He is not an all-pro so he has little leverage. 

Save the dollars for 2021 or spend on edge, wr, or OT this offseason

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

With coaches it’s typically wins and losses. Playoff appearances. Division titles. Super Bowls. 

OK, so in his 2 years here, Ryan was 15-17.  #10 and 12 offense on points; #18 and 16 defense on points.  No playoffs.

In his first 2 years here, McDermott was 15-17.  #22 and 30 offense on points; #18 x2 on points.  Playoffs first year (with a lot of the talent the prev. GM ID’d.)

Naturally I hope that the McDermott/Beane philosophy of tear it all down/build it up new is creating something special and better, but the fact is, he’s yet to ‘show me’

• Like (+1) 4

On 10/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Oh snap. 

Dear Coach McDermott,

As a long time Bills fan, I write to express my gratitude that you have eschewed irresponsible decisions.  It would clearly have been irresponsible, for example, to risk a conditional 2020 5th round pick on Kenyan Drake.  His first week contributions for the Cardinals would clearly have had no place on our team.

A 3rd and 4th round pick would clearly have been irresponsible decision making to spend for Emmanuel Sanders and a 5th relative to trading a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin and paying a $3.5M for a week or two of Corey Coleman.  Sanders initial contributions to the 49ers and his savvy as a route runner would have been of no use to our offense.

Signed, 

Hapless Bills Fan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so in his 2 years here, Ryan was 15-17.  #10 and 12 offense on points; #18 and 16 defense on points.  No playoffs.

In his first 2 years here, McDermott was 15-17.  #22 and 30 offense on points; #18 x2 on points.  Playoffs first year (with a lot of the talent the prev. GM ID’d.)

Naturally I hope that the McDermott/Beane philosophy of tear it all down/build it up new is creating something special and better, but the fact is, he’s yet to ‘show me’

Odd way of characterizing two vastly different first two years, philosophically speaking, of each regime...especially omitting the fact that Ryan and Co. were fired with a game left to play in their second year. And I would imagine the fact that McD took what was essentially someone else's squad (minus secondary, Dareus, and Watkins) to the playoffs would be a positive in their favor. 

These guys are pretty clearly on the upswing, whereas Ryan never improved, either on his first year or on Marrone's last. These guys have done both. They needed 2018 to reboot everything. I think your comparison of the two doesn't tell the whole story. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Odd way of characterizing two vastly different first two years, philosophically speaking, of each regime...especially omitting the fact that Ryan and Co. were fired with a game left to play in their second year. And I would imagine the fact that McD took what was essentially someone else's squad (minus secondary, Dareus, and Watkins) to the playoffs would be a positive in their favor. 

These guys are pretty clearly on the upswing, whereas Ryan never improved, either on his first year or on Marrone's last. These guys have done both. They needed 2018 to reboot everything. I think your comparison of the two doesn't tell the whole story. 

Well, I hope it doesn’t tell the whole story.   As I said, naturally I hope their philosophy is correct and they’re building something better.

But I asked what metrics you’d use if point differential doesn’t please you, and I added in another that’s often used (offensive and defensive rank, I like points) 

The point is, while I hope they’re building something better, one can make a case that objectively, they’ve yet to lay down common coaching metrics that are a clear step above their predecessors.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I hope it doesn’t tell the whole story.   As I said, naturally I hope their philosophy is correct and they’re building something better.

But I asked what metrics you’d use if point differential doesn’t please you, and I added in another that’s often used (offensive and defensive rank, I like points) 

The point is, while I hope they’re building something better, one can make a case that objectively, they’ve yet to lay down common coaching metrics that are a clear step above their predecessors.

Sure, if you leave out this season's record and the fact that Ryan was fired with one game to go in his second year. 

And points is the defensive metric you'd use to paint the picture you did. Yards isn't as convenient for your argument.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Sure, if you leave out this season's record and the fact that Ryan was fired with one game to go in his second year. 

And points is the defensive metric you'd use to paint the picture you did. Yards isn't as convenient for your argument.

I’m very consistent in using PF/PA always for every comparator I ever make anywhere on this board and have argued at length about why I don’t like or use yards.  Points are what win or lose football games.  Asserting I pick and choose by what’s “convenient” is, frankly, beneath you.

I don’t know what I’d do with this season’s record - the season isn’t done yet, and we had the identical record at this point in the season in McD’s 1st season 2017 and finished 9-7.  So stuff happens.

I think the point remains - we all hope they’re better, but what, so far, have they done that clearly demonstrates this?  Because we had a playoff game With the same record that wasn’t good enough for playoffs in 2014 and only good enough in 2017 because the Bengals won?  A bit tenuous don’t you think?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m very consistent in using PF/PA always for every comparator I ever make anywhere on this board and have argued at length about why I don’t like or use yards.  Points are what win or lose football games.  Asserting I pick and choose by what’s “convenient” is, frankly, beneath you.

I don’t know what I’d do with this season’s record - the season isn’t done yet, and we had the identical record at this point in the season in McD’s 1st season 2017 and finished 9-7.  So stuff happens.

I think the point remains - we all hope they’re better, but what, so far, have they done that clearly demonstrates this?  Because we had a playoff game With the same record that wasn’t good enough for playoffs in 2014 and only good enough in 2017 because the Bengals won?  A bit tenuous don’t you think?

We have a QB who is in his second year and improving, drafted by this regime. We have a MLB in his second year and improving, also drafted by this regime. We have one of the top DBs in the league, again drafted by this regime. We have a top secondary overall, built 100% by this regime.  The Bills are currently 5-2 and in great position for a wildcard spot. I don't see what's so tenuous about any of that, I see a team very much on the upswing.

Arrogance without big results is deadly. Sean, I still remember how badly you get blown out at home twice every year, how you were outcoached last week and versus Belicheat. Your pal Mr. Beane also hasn't been the best, giant money for mediocre Star, spending a high 2nd round pick on a kid that can't seem to be good enough to play either guard or tackle but we want him because he's position flexible when you could have had AJ Brown or Mecole Hardman as a WR2 or spending a 3rd round pick on a kid that sits the pine every game. Meanwhile you hoard draft capital while the good teams get better by making deals with theirs. We look for "value talent." and our teams shows it. We need play makers on both side of the ball.  No pass rushers and no big play makers on O will get us nowhere.

I am sick of the tired Pegula mantra of "we are only a few years away" which they have been saying since they owned both teams. Next year's schedule will be tough again. Let's just start winning some meaningful games and then Sean can insinuate how great this regime is.  Your culture only goes so far. Winning is everything. Start winning games that matter and then you can talk with some attitude. Until then,  stop talking about the sins of the past when you haven't proven anything yet. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We have a QB who is in his second year and improving, drafted by this regime. We have a MLB in his second year and improving, also drafted by this regime. We have one of the top DBs in the league, again drafted by this regime. We have a top secondary overall, built 100% by this regime.  The Bills are currently 5-2 and in great position for a wildcard spot. I don't see what's so tenuous about any of that, I see a team very much on the upswing.

What you’re describing is promise.  We hope Allen continues to develop and is the QB of the offense.  We hope Edmunds continues to develop as the QB of the defense.  WE have a good secondary.  

But what have they actually achieved yet?  The Bills were 5-2 at this point in 2017.  We were just totally pwn’d on both lines and given an ass-whupping by the same run play, called over and over again.  Allen is having some struggles.  Edmunds is having some troubles.  What is the actual demonstrated achievement by some hard metric other than that 5-2 record?  I’m not saying it’s “tenuous” or against bad teams blah blah- I’m just saying it’s the same record we had in 2017, so I can’t point at it and say “Look!  Demonstrably better !”

Against this background, I think McDermott has a lot of nerve to take a poke at the previous administrations, if that is what he was doing with his comment “"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way." -- Sean McDermott“   I mean, Kenyon Drake just gained 152 combined yards, and AZ just got him for a conditional 5th in 2020.  Are there really NO player acquisitions that could have been “responsible” but helped our team?    I just feel he should prove something before he runs his mouth.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What you’re describing is promise.  We hope Allen continues to develop and is the QB of the offense.  We hope Edmunds continues to develop as the QB of the defense.  WE have a good secondary.  

But what have they actually achieved yet?  The Bills were 5-2 at this point in 2017.  We were just totally pwn’d on both lines and given an ass-whupping by the same run play, called over and over again.  Allen is having some struggles.  Edmunds is having some troubles.  What is the actual demonstrated achievement by some hard metric other than that 5-2 record?  I’m not saying it’s “tenuous” or against bad teams blah blah- I’m just saying it’s the same record we had in 2017, so I can’t point at it and say “Look!  Demonstrably better !”

Against this background, I think McDermott has a lot of nerve to take a poke at the previous administrations, if that is what he was doing with his comment “"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way." -- Sean McDermott“   I mean, Kenyon Drake just gained 152 combined yards, and AZ just got him for a conditional 5th in 2020.  Are there really NO player acquisitions that could have been “responsible” but helped our team?    I just feel he should prove something before he runs his mouth.

Let me put this another way: what could a rational observer of this team reasonably expect to be better? Outside offensive production, which I think we can all acknowledge is an issue due in large part to a lack of true playmakers (which I believe will be resolved this offseason)...what more do you want out of this team at this particular point in time?

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:18 AM, GoBills808 said:

Let me put this another way: what could a rational observer of this team reasonably expect to be better? Outside offensive production, which I think we can all acknowledge is an issue due in large part to a lack of true playmakers (which I believe will be resolved this offseason)...what more do you want out of this team at this particular point in time?

Dude, the offense is basically half of a team, and you want people to give an honest criticism of the team, MINUS the most glaring issue. 

Edited by Mango
  • Thank you (+1) 1