2019 Playoffs. 1st round

We had our quarterly congruence at work today.

I spent the whole shift looking at data, analyzing our most recent numbers for patterns and similarities/discrepancies. We checked for validity and reliability in our assessments in order to be sure that we're accurately measuring productivity. It was a long 8 hours.

I'm not sure what the hell everyone else did while we we're there but I'm about 96% sure the Bills are going to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Week 12 Rooting Interests (Bolded teams):

Broncos vs. BILLS...8-3!

COLTS vs. Texans...Bringing the Colts to 7-4, and dropping the Texans to 6-5. It’s not ideal, but someone has to win. I think I’d prefer the Colts as the division winner. I’d want no part of having to play Watson in the playoffs round one. However, I think the Texans are the better team.

Raiders vs. JETS...We can always hope for them to fall to 6-5, but they’ll likely take care of business and end the week at 7-4, one game back from us.

DOLPHINS vs. Browns...I actually like the Dolphins here, and don’t think it’d be all that crazy to expect a good game

from the Phins. A Browns loss will hand them their 7th loss, likely taking them out of contention. 

Steelers vs. BENGALS...You just never know with division games...

JAGUARS vs. Titans...Both teams would then sit at 5-6. I’m not concerned about either, as I think they have a mixed bag along the rest of the way, and will both likely fizzle our to a disappointing 8-8 or 7-9

COWBOYS vs. Patriots...Let’s go!!!!! 

Ravens vs. RAMS...Not a huge deal here, but why not root for the NFC to serve up some humble pie and bring those birds back down to earth a few weeks  ahead of our meeting. Ravens are hot, and I bet they keep it rolling 

Teams on Byes: Chiefs, Chargers

Synopsis: This could be a very boring week for AFC teams looking to gain ground on the wild card. Many teams in the hunt play games vs. non-contenders and struggling teams. It’s also a chance for one of those teams to sneak a win, and the unfortunate victim to suffer a crippling loss. As many have stated, the only thing that matters is the Bills to win. I think that this point should be emphasized in a week where many contenders likely are looking at adding to their win columns. 

Playoff Predictions Post-Week 12:

Division Leaders: 

Patriots (9-2)

Ravens (9-2)

Chiefs (7-4)

Texans (7-4)

Wild Card: 

1) Bills (8-3)

2) Raiders (7-4)

In the Hunt: 

3) Steelers (6-5)

2) Colts (6-5)

5) Jaguars (5-6)

6) Browns (5-6)

7) Titans (5-6) 

Disclaimers: I am not sure who owns tie breakers, and am not willing to do the leg work on which 5th or 6th team has the H2H advantage in a hypothetical situation that probably won’t ever happen. 

Analysis From Ryan Talbot:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/nfl-playoffs-2019-who-should-buffalo-bills-fans-root-for-in-week-12.html

NFL  http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

ESPN  http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

ESPN standings https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

NYT   https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html

CBS  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

the way too early tie breakers 

AFC tiebreakers:

• Houston is ahead of Kansas City based on head to head (1-0).
  • Pittsburgh is ahead of Tennessee based on conference record (4-3 to the Titans' 3-4).
  • Cleveland is ahead of Jacksonville based on conference record (Browns' 4-3 to the Jaguars' 4-4).
  • Denver is ahead of the N.Y. Jets based on conference record (3-4 to the Jets' 0-6).

18 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I’m thinking we root for Houston, in order to push Indy down ever further...

We wanted Houston. Gunner covered it in another thread (and actually it was quite important):

Basically, if we beat Denver and the Jets or Pittsburgh or Baltimore or NE Indy can’t win a tiebreaker against us. If we win just those 2 games we pass Indy at 9-7. Need the Raiders, Chiefs, Steelers and Browns to start dropping some. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We wanted Houston. Gunner covered it in another thread (and actually it was quite important):

Basically, if we beat Denver and the Jets or Pittsburgh or Baltimore or NE Indy can’t win a tiebreaker against us. If we win just those 2 games we pass Indy at 9-7. Need the Raiders, Chiefs, Steelers and Browns to start dropping some. 

Steelers looked really bad against the browns... and they play them again.  Browns could be 9-7 when its all said and done.  But don't you just picture them controlling their own destiny and blowing an away game to cincy to end the year? 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

cool    thanks KJ 

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I won’t feel safe until we get to 10 wins!!!

Yup  That too 

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Steelers looked really bad against the browns... and they play them again.  Browns could be 9-7 when its all said and done.  But don't you just picture them controlling their own destiny and blowing an away game to cincy to end the year? 

The Browns kind of scare me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Denver game scares me. This is the first Bills game against a good defense since the Pats game and we all know how the offense did in that one. The Bills have to 3-3 to make it. The Raiders will probably finish 10-6. I can see the Browns only loss the rest of the way against the Ravens. If they finish 9-7 the win the tie breaker against the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I can see the Browns only loss the rest of the way against the Ravens

Yeah, they lost their best player for the season and are still a schittshow but sure, they'll finish out 5-1.

Don't bet your paycheck on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Yeah, they lost their best player for the season and are still a schittshow but sure, they'll finish out 5-1.

Don't bet your paycheck on that one.

They have any easy schedule left minus the Ravens, whom they beat once. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Browns kind of scare me.

They got a H2H against us and a really talented team.  2 games against the bengals, and 1 against Miami should be 3 easy ones.  Then 2 of Pitt, zona, and baltimore.  

They're missing a really serious all-pro piece of their defense though which might end up biting them.  

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Really? Why? There not running the table without Garrett. Even if they did I'd love a rematch with them though unlikely.

Well, if we both end up 9-7 they’d have the tiebreaker. That’s possible. They play Dolphins, Bengals (2), Cardinals, Steelers and Ravens. Is it crazy to think that they win 5 of those games? I don’t think it is.

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, if we both end up 9-7 they’d have the tiebreaker. That’s possible. They play Dolphins, Bengals (2), Cardinals, Steelers and Ravens. Is it crazy to think that they win 5 of those games? I don’t think it is.

If we both end up 9-7 and they win the spot the Bills have no one to blame but themselves. I'm still disgusted we lost that game to those douche bags.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Cleveland is not ending the year on a 8 game winning streak especially with no Garrett. I think the Raiders end 10-6 at best and Pit isn't finishing the year winning 10 of it's last 11 or even winning 9 of their last 11. 

Pitt is playing very well, and they've won 4 out of 5 already. After Ben went down in game 1, here's what their losses look like:

Lost by 2 points against the currently 8-2 Seahawks

Lost by 4 points against the currently 9-1 49ers (@ San Fran)

Lost by 3 points against the currently 8-2  Ravens

Lost by 14 points against the currently 4-6 Browns (@ Cleveland)

So aside from last week's against the Browns, they've lost by an average of 3 points against 3 teams with a combined 25-5 record. That's without Big Ben. Their remaining schedule is:

@ Bengals (0-10)

Browns (4-6)

@ Cardinals (3-7-1)

Bills (7-3)

@ Jets (3-7)

@ Ravens (8-2)

I don't see why people are so convinced the Steelers can't win out, or at least win 5 out of 6. Their chances are certainly better than ours for doing that. If they were playing the Ravens earlier it might change things up, but considering the Ravens will likely be resting starters week 17. 

Winning 9 of 11 wouldn't be that shocking, not at all. After their game 1 blowout, they had some very close losses to the best teams in the league. Since then, they've won everything aside from the Browns (which we also lost). So discounting their ability to win the rest of their games is weird to me.

55 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Pitt is playing very well, and they've won 4 out of 5 already. After Ben went down in game 1, here's what their losses look like:

So aside from last week's against the Browns, they've lost by an average of 3 points against 3 teams with a combined 25-5 record. That's without Big Ben. Their remaining schedule is:

@ Bengals (0-10)

Browns (4-6)

@ Cardinals (3-7-1)

Bills (7-3)

@ Jets (3-7)

@ Ravens (8-2)

I don't see why people are so convinced the Steelers can't win out, or at least win 5 out of 6. Their chances are certainly better than ours for doing that. If they were playing the Ravens earlier it might change things up, but considering the Ravens will likely be resting starters week 17. 

Winning 9 of 11 wouldn't be that shocking, not at all. After their game 1 blowout, they had some very close losses to the best teams in the league. Since then, they've won everything aside from the Browns (which we also lost). So discounting their ability to win the rest of their games is weird to me.

The Steelers have been relying on a ridiculous amount of turnovers as well as defensive scores in close games. That’s not a sustainable recipe for wins. Their offense is garbage. 

I think it’s completely unrealistic to think they can win 5 out of their last 6. And winning out? Laughable really. Last week We saw exactly how they’ll start losing games when the defense isn’t spotting them 2 or 3 extra Possessions and field position. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The Steelers have been relying on a ridiculous amount of turnovers as well as defensive scores in close games. That’s not a sustainable recipe for wins. Their offense is garbage. 

I think it’s completely unrealistic to think they can win 5 out of their last 6. And winning out? Laughable really. Last week We saw exactly how they’ll start losing games when the defense isn’t spotting them 2 or 3 extra Possessions and field position. 

Agree 100%. Steelers aren't finishing 5-1 or better.

And the Colts aren't finishing 6-0. And the Titans aren't finishing 6-0. And the Jaguars aren't finishing 6-0. And the Browns aren't finishing 6-0.

If the Bills can somehow get to 10-6 in any way possible, I GUARANTEE they are making the playoffs. If they don't, then I promise to make out with Peter Schrager live on GMFB December 30...

Now 9-7 gets a little more complicated. In this situation, the Bills still have a pretty good chance, but the two wins may need to come from Denver (tiebreaker with Indy) and Pittsburgh (to fend off Pittsburgh, obviously).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language

27 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Whoa now

Yeah that's right. I totally said it. The Bills at 10-6 WILL make the playoffs, even if one of their 6 losses is against the Steelers. What are you going to do about it, pal?! I'll fight you over it. I will totally fight you and HURT you.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

@ Bengals (0-10)

Browns (4-6)

@ Cardinals (3-7-1)

Bills (7-3)

@ Jets (3-7)

@ Ravens (8-2)

The Steelers have injury issues JuJu is out with concussion Conner has shoulder issues and Rudolph is over rated

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I agree 100%. That game was there to be won. 

Our defense let us down by give that 85 Yard TD drive...They had two chances to turnover the ball, but the Refs and then White bailed them out...Then the defense as a whole bailed on multiple 3rd and long and 4th and long!!! 

AFC
SEED
TEAM
DIVISION RECORD
NE.png East 9-1-0
BAL.png North 8-2-0
HOU.png South 7-4-0
Houston is ahead of Kansas City based on head to head (1-0). 
KC.png West 7-4-0
Houston is ahead of Kansas City based on head to head (1-0). 
BUF.png East 8-3-0
PIT.png North 6-5-0
Pittsburgh and Oakland are ahead of Indianapolis based on head-to-head sweep (2-0). Pittsburgh is ahead of Oakland based on conference record (5-3 to the Raiders' 4-3). 
STILL ALIVE

7 OAK.png West 6-5-0
Pittsburgh and Oakland are ahead of Indianapolis based on head-to-head sweep (2-0). Pittsburgh is ahead of Oakland based on conference record (5-3 to the Raiders' 4-3). 
8 IND.png South 6-5-0
Pittsburgh and Oakland are ahead of Indianapolis based on head-to-head sweep (2-0). 
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

Our defense let us down by give that 85 Yard TD drive...They had two chances to turnover the ball, but the Refs and then White bailed them out...Then the defense as a whole bailed on multiple 3rd and long and 4th and long!!! 

Do we suck again?