9/15 Bills at Giants Postgame Thread

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

If your standard is perfection perhaps you should readjust your expectations.  No team is perfect.  It is about winning, and the outcome of this game was never is doubt after the first quarter.  Room for improvement? Sure.  Believe it or not, every team can say the same thing.  

I never said I expect perfection. My entire argument was that people with rose colored glasses in refuse to say anything was wrong with today. Just because we got the win doesn’t mean things don’t need to be worked on. They absolutely do. Even McDermott admitted to that in his presser. 

If you watched this game and didn’t think after that 3rd Q, and the Giants getting working 7, we didn’t need to have a good drive to ensure we didn’t lose, then I’m sorry you haven’t been around long enough to see things unravel so quickly that we could have lost this game. 

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

I never said I expect perfection. My entire argument was that people with rose colored glasses in refuse to say anything was wrong with today. Just because we got the win doesn’t mean things don’t need to be worked on. They absolutely do. Even McDermott admitted to that in his presser. 

If you watched this game and didn’t think after that 3rd Q, and the Giants getting working 7, we didn’t need to have a good drive to ensure we didn’t lose, then I’m sorry you haven’t been around long enough to see things unravel so quickly that we could have lost this game. 

That's the issue. You look for what's wrong. We scored 28 points, didn't we? You know what the point average for an NFL team in a game? 24.2 points.  So the Bills were above average today. Yes, yes. They didn't score in the 3Q. What team scores every possession? (Teams playing the Dolphins don't count.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the issue. You look for what's wrong. We scored 28 points, didn't we? You know what the point average for an NFL team in a game? 24.2 points.  So the Bills were above average today. Yes, yes. They didn't score in the 3Q. What team scores every possession? (Teams playing the Dolphins don't count.)

I actually don’t look fir what’s wrong. I watch football and I am either pleased with success, or not pleased with failure. It’s as simple as that. I’m glad we won. But I’m not going to sit here and drink the kool-aid and say that because we won, there aren’t things that need to be fixed. Again, even McDermott admitted in his presser that things need to be addressed. 

Im not here to say they need to be perfect, or score on every single drive. I know that is not even reasonable to think that. But I don’t expect them to be dominant for the first 2 quarters (and they were pretty darn close to dominant) and then come out completely flat in the entire 3rd quarter. I don’t remember exactly, but it was 3 or 4 drives that were just absolutely miserable. 

Again, we won. Great. Now let’s work on it so that we don’t have flat spots in the games. Because if we were playing the Pats, or Chiefs, or even a team like Dallas, they all would have taken advantage of our lackluster 3rd Quarter. The fact is, and most people here will tell you, that the Giants and Eli aren’t good. Well, at one point, fairly late in the game, we only had a lead of 7 points. 

I dont want to just win games. I want to be a good team. I want to be a legit playoff team. Not a team that backs into wins. And I’m not saying we did that last week or today. I’m simply saying, if we want to be good and competitive with the best teams in the league, we can’t have entire quarters where we are completely missing. 

Enjoy the win. And have a good night. I know I am. 

I think everyone needs to remember that the first two weeks of the season — maybe the first three or four — are about finding your identity and trying different things. The fact that this almost completely new offense has produced SIX 70+ yard TD drives in two weeks is outstanding. Josh missed a few today but every QB does. I was pleased that the Bills did not go conservative in the 3rd (as noted in another thread); they just failed to execute.  Holding two opponents to <17 points on the road is winning football. 

This 2-0 start certainly has a different feel to it than the last two times we saw it (2011 and 2014).  Five of six at home coming up. I’m holding my breath about Motor. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't have a problem with what the Bills did I was just pointing out that they seemed to down shift the offense in the 3rd quarter and this was by design.  I also believe that it will come back to bite them in the ass at some point.  But over the course of an entire season this type of strategy, given how good the defense is, will probably lead to more wins then losses. 

And even though they were still throwing the ball they seemed to do it more out of 2 TE sets with a FB and it didn't seem like they were using their whole playbook.  And as others have pointed out the Bills O got sloppy in the 3rd quarter with a dropped pass and a couple of false start penalties.  But I'm fine with this while at the same time I was frustrated by it as well.  

Like I posted earlier - my heart says keep the pedal to the metal while my head says the Bills managed the game in the right way.

I agree with your "keep your foot on their throat" philosophy.

I have a notion...and it's only my notion, and I could be completely wrong....that Daboll has plans within plans within plans.  I think he is running some plays now because he wants them on film so DC's will see and defenses will be saying "it's that deep route to McKensie, cover that sucka!" only this time McKensie is gonna be a distraction for Brown.  I thought last season that sometimes Daboll was designing plays that were too complex and confused us more than the opponent (though maybe that was Castillo as run coordinator.  One can hope.)   I also think that once we had a lead, he went more vanilla because he wants to limit what he puts on film.

Anyway, it's something the best OCs do actually, set up future opponents with what they're running and how they run it weeks earlier.  But at this point with a young QB and offense that needs to gel, we're sort of borderline in skill level to be able to do that, and we really need some of Daboll's wrinkles for the offense to work effectively.  So it shuts us down when he goes all vanilla or puts in plays where we aren't using the most effective option as the 1st or 2nd read because he wants it on film that way.

Just my speculation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have a notion...and it's only my notion, and I could be completely wrong....that Daboll has plans within plans within plans.  I think he is running some plays now because he wants them on film so DC's will see and defenses will be saying "it's that deep route to McKensie, cover that sucka!" only this time McKensie is gonna be a distraction for Brown.  I thought last season that sometimes Daboll was designing plays that were too complex and confused us more than the opponent (though maybe that was Castillo as run coordinator.  One can hope.)   I also think that once we had a lead, he went more vanilla because he wants to limit what he puts on film.

Anyway, it's something the best OCs do actually, set up future opponents with what they're running and how they run it weeks earlier.  But at this point with a young QB and offense that needs to gel, we're sort of borderline in skill level to be able to do that, and we really need some of Daboll's wrinkles for the offense to work effectively.  So it shuts us down when he goes all vanilla or puts in plays where we aren't using the most effective option as the 1st or 2nd read because he wants it on film that way.

Just my speculation.

Could be something to that, but if Knox doesn’t drop that bullet and/or Josh connects with Zay on the quick slant, we’re probably not worried about the 3rd Quarter.  

We may very well have gone more vanilla, but the execution is what held us back.   

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just my speculation.

Yeah he sprung that big pitch to Singletary with same McKenzie sweep motion from a couple drives back, he’s definitely setting plays up

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah he sprung that big pitch to Singletary with same McKenzie sweep motion from a couple drives back, he’s definitely setting plays up

Realistically that's his job

We have had sooo many inept offensive coordinators who let the defense dictate their game plan

Daboll looks to be setting the pace so far. He is making defenses react to his offense which is great

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Overall... Excellent!

Blown tire in Q3, when back to the deadly conservative side. 

TWO road Ws to start, regardless of opposition. When did that last happen?

They said on the postgame that the Bills never had.