NFL Execs on what each team should worry about (Athletic: paywall)

TroutDog

Quote:

Buffalo Bills

The worry: Buffalo might not have the explosive playmakers to take the next step.

“People talk about Josh Allen’s accuracy and that will be the top concern if he winds up being Blake Bortles as a passer on third down. I wonder if they have the horses overall. You root for them because they do it the right way, but where is the big-play flair, the explosive, big-play home-run guy both offensively and defensively? They have a lot of lunch-pail-type guys who work hard, are smart, but might not get you over the hump to, say, 10-plus wins.”

https://theathletic.com/1180817/2019/09/03/nfl-execs-on-what-all-32-teams-should-worry-about-entering-the-season/

This falls in line with the ‘not having big names’ argument. I don’t buy it. 

The biggest concern to me this year is Josh’s continued improvement. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That seems very reasonable. Especially since they reference 10+ wins. I think 9 wins is a major improvement and we can get the "explosive" player next year if its a huge need. Also nice to see that we did it right, according to this person. I kinda think the home-run player is overrated and often overpaid.

Honestly, Im personally more worried about many other things haha.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very accurate comments on offensive but we have potential superstars on D, Tremaine Edmunds,  Tre White , Ed Oliver. Guy that arent as potentially splashy but able to put up big plays include Poyer, hyde, milano, J Hughes,  Lorax.

Reading all those names in the same sentence sends a chill down my spine. I believe we have the best defense in football until proven otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very accurate comments on offensive but we have potential superstars on D, Tremaine Edmunds,  Tre White , Ed Oliver. Guy that arent as potentially splashy but able to put up big plays include Poyer, hyde, milano, J Hughes,  Lorax.

Certainly the defense has some potential star power, but none of these guys are household names yet. I agree they are lunch pail type guys. That's fine. They play well as a team but we don't have the flashy sack and INT numbers. 

On paper, it doesn't look like we have a lot of big play guys on offense.  There are question marks around our wideouts.  None of our TEs is a proven big play guy.  Our RBs include an old man, a perennial back up, and a small, slow rook.  And our QB's accuracy is a works-in-progress.  Our  OL consists entirely of "lunch pail" guys.

This doesn't look like the roster of a high-flying offense.  

But it doesn't have to be.  If our D is as good as we think it is, we'll be in good shape if our O can just average something like 24 points/game.  If Allen steps up this year, that's do-able.  The big plays will come off his arm.  

• Like (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Quote:

Buffalo Bills

The worry: Buffalo might not have the explosive playmakers to take the next step.

“People talk about Josh Allen’s accuracy and that will be the top concern if he winds up being Blake Bortles as a passer on third down. I wonder if they have the horses overall. You root for them because they do it the right way, but where is the big-play flair, the explosive, big-play home-run guy both offensively and defensively? They have a lot of lunch-pail-type guys who work hard, are smart, but might not get you over the hump to, say, 10-plus wins.”

https://theathletic.com/1180817/2019/09/03/nfl-execs-on-what-all-32-teams-should-worry-about-entering-the-season/

This falls in line with the ‘not having big names’ argument. I don’t buy it. 

The biggest concern to me this year is Josh’s continued improvement. 

THis is actually my thinking. Outside of perhaps Morse, who on offense is a top-15-at-his-position player? I can't think of anyone.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the sort of comment I'd expect to hear from Doug Whaley.  That's all he wanted to do -- add splash.

The defense is full of "explosive, game-changing" players.  Hughes, Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, White, Hyde, Poyer.  Sure, the offense doesn't have big names but that doesn't mean they aren't potentially explosive.  Brown makes explosive plays.  Singletary's explosiveness jumps off his tape.  Beasley is "explosive" in the slot.  And let's not forget the most important piece -- Josh Allen.  He has already shown explosiveness and the ability to take a game over.  If he takes the next step comments like this will disappear.

If the biggest thing Bills fans need to worry about is that nobody knows the names of their players (yet), we're not in bad shape.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Bills don't have anyone with the reputation of an explosive playmaker on O.  No recent draft pick or free agent has that.  However, the Bills have a lot of guys who can stretch the field:  Brown, Foster, Roberts, McKenzie; who can get tough yards-Gore, Singletary; who can move the sticks-Beasley -- and a lot of potential at TE with Sweeney, Knox and Kroft.  The Bills have built of deep Offense from the line to the skill positions.  I believe the Bills also have an Offensive Coaching staff who can use these parts to their max potential. 

I think the Offense has great potential to go from an offense that averaged under 300 yards a game last year to an offense that averages over 370 or so yards a game -- so move from 30th to 15th or so with Josh just playing at a level where he played the last 5 games of last year.  The Bills have improved that much.

The problem with having one or two key playmakers is that injuries wreak havoc with a season...I think building the kind of depth the Bills have started to build on O and then adding a playmaker or two through the draft makes more sense.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The Bills don't have anyone with the reputation of an explosive playmaker on O.  No recent draft pick or free agent has that.  However, the Bills have a lot of guys who can stretch the field:  Brown, Foster, Roberts, McKenzie; who can get tough yards-Gore, Singletary; who can move the sticks-Beasley -- and a lot of potential at TE with Sweeney, Knox and Kroft.  The Bills have built of deep Offense from the line to the skill positions.  I believe the Bills also have an Offensive Coaching staff who can use these parts to their max potential. 

I think the Offense has great potential to go from an offense that averaged under 300 yards a game last year to an offense that averages over 370 or so yards a game -- so move from 30th to 15th or so with Josh just playing at a level where he played the last 5 games of last year.  The Bills have improved that much.

I think this is a fair assessment. 

I agree completely with the premise of the article. I do think we can win with this team, but we need more elite talent to become a consistent contender.

Luckily I think we have a few guys on the roster that could develop into those kinds of players.

People worry too much about "superstars."  You need some...but on a successful team most of your team is going to be workman-like guys developed, coached, and playing to ten-tenths their ability.  At most, these days, only 5 of your roster is going to be regular all-pros.  

Get that foundation established first, then go after those 5 all-pros, if you haven't drafted them already (e.g. Tre White.)

• Like (+1) 2

I’m thinking Allen to Foster was some seriously big splash play last season, and the team is in better shape this season, maybe it’s just me...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1