Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He could do that whether the Bills trade for him or not.  But when was the last time the Patriots paid top of the market long term for any player? They don't even pay Brady top dollar! Isn't that their M.O.? No big long contracts? 

Gilmore?

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

Players can be franchise-tagged in consecutive seasons, but the financial downside for teams increases each time. Two years in a row, for example, means the player receives 120% of his previous year’s salary, and every subsequent year, that percentage would scale upward and become costlier.

...Cousins was better than the "Great Train Robbery".......Willie Sutton was PO'ed.......Vikes putting $84 mil of eggs in that clown's basket?...best you'd get is salmonella......

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

How do you know that?

Know what?  

I didn't say the Bills would win 10 games and make the playoffs.

I said that IF this rebuild goes as planned, we would win 10 games and make the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man, you’re a broken record.  You realize he can go to NE next year no matter what team traded for him?  

If a team trades for him, I highly doubt they would let him go that easy.  Sure, 20% increase on the franchise cap is pricey, but it’s not as pricey as giving away draft picks for one year rentals.  

If we trade for him, I suspect he’d be a Bill for at least 2019 and 2020 or traded.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's ridiculous that it's even brought up.

Bills have NOTHING to worry about in terms of resigning their own guys ATM and won't for another couple years and at that point a lot could change. 

They have the cap room and the window is now to make a move like this. 

Contract extensions are of very little concern for at least 2 years.

After 2019, the guys that are noteworthy UFA/RFAs are:

Shady

Gore

McKenzie

Spain

J. Phillips

Shaq

LorAx

Stanford

K. Johnson

Hauschka

Maybe you re-sign Gore. You can probably keep LorAx pretty easily since he'll either return or retire. Besides those guys, I can't imagine they spend any serious money on the rest.

Then, after 2020, you're looking at:

Barkely

DiMarco

Zay

Nsekhe

Feliciano

Dawkins

Murphy

Milano

Poyer

They'll probably want to keep Dawkins, Milano, and Poyer.  No real bank-breakers there.

Money is not an issue for this team.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Seems pretty stupid that he can’t be signed to a new contract if he is traded.  I guess it encourages the team tagging him to get a deal done and it reduces his trade value in a way that prevents a team from squatting on his rights.  Still, there are plenty of teams who’d probably sign him to a contract north of $50m in guarantees.  If he gets injured this year, he’d be leaving around $35m on the table because of this rule.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea wtf? 

Even Dawkins and White are two years away and I'm not even sure Dawkins is worth an extension. Give me a break. 

Dude put Jones on the list. ??

He's speaking with sources inside the organization.  Do you have sources with conflicting information?   

29 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Gilmore was paid for. And, many of the Bills fans on here that said he was an average DB have got to see him given All-Pro status. I'm sure they will still argue he is average when he gets inducted into the HoF. 

I like pointing out ignorance.

It's the circle of life. They get Gilmore. We got Tre.

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea wtf? 

Even Dawkins and White are two years away and I'm not even sure Dawkins is worth an extension. Give me a break. 

Dude put Jones on the list. ??

Within the next two seasons, the Bills will need to extend Tre'Davious White, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer, and Dion Dawkins. Contracts for LTs and CBs don't tend to be cheap.

I'm not saying the above contract extension needs should preclude the Bills from handing out a big contract to a guy like Clowney. But people who pretend like the Bills will ALWAYS be flush with cash are silly. Yes, they have a lot of it now. They also have a young core that they quite like, and in order to retain all of them, big contracts are going to be required.

Tre'Davious White
Jordan Poyer
Tremaine Edmunds
Matt Milano
Ed Oliver
Harrison Phillips
Dion Dawkins
Josh Allen

Again, the need to extend these players shouldn't preclude them from signing other guys if they so choose right now. However, if their goal is to retain their own drafted talent, and knowing that they have upcoming CB, LT, QB, DL, and MLB extensions in order to keep the young core in place, it's not outlandish for them to prioritize remaining financially solvent and not necessarily handing out record setting contracts to outside players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Couldn't a team just franchise Clowney again? If the Bills or another team were to trade for Clowney and play him out on a franchise tender and he didn't want to sign a verbal offer that was in place once the trade was completed (Let's say he plays insanely well) then couldn't a team just franchise him again and at least turn around and trade him again if he doesn't want to resign? 

Is there something I am missing about the situation? 

You might be be able to franchise him again - it depends on a couple of things:

1st he is fighting the franchise tag as OLB and looking to be tagged as a DE +2 million dollars for the initial tag - until that grievance is completed - he will not move onto part 2.

2nd - prior to signing the tag - once number 1 is completed - he can request stipulations - especially prior to be traded - if he wants to.  They can not talk money as that is set by the tag, but they can ask for clauses like if he makes the ProBowl - he can not be tagged a second time or even flat out not to be tagged a second time if they want him to sign.

These stipulations are sometimes agreed to and sometimes not and that can impact a holdout and prevent him signing his tag.  There have been multiple cases where teams have agreed not to franchise a player a second time to get him in and under contract.

Until all of this plays out - no one is trading for him because his current salary isn’t even set yet - for him to sign a tag.