Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

If a team trades for him, I highly doubt they would let him go that easy.  Sure, 20% increase on the franchise cap is pricey, but it’s not as pricey as giving away draft picks for one year rentals.  

If we trade for him, I suspect he’d be a Bill for at least 2019 and 2020 or traded.

Exactly

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

With respect the first sentence is not the relevant bit. It is the bit immediately after your bolded. "The player may sign ONLY a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season.." 

That could not be clearer to me. 

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

Within the next two seasons, the Bills will need to extend Tre'Davious White, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer, and Dion Dawkins. Contracts for LTs and CBs don't tend to be cheap.

I'm not saying the above contract extension needs should preclude the Bills from handing out a big contract to a guy like Clowney. But people who pretend like the Bills will ALWAYS be flush with cash are silly. Yes, they have a lot of it now. They also have a young core that they quite like, and in order to retain all of them, big contracts are going to be required.

Tre'Davious White
Jordan Poyer
Tremaine Edmunds
Matt Milano
Ed Oliver
Harrison Phillips
Dion Dawkins
Josh Allen

Again, the need to extend these players shouldn't preclude them from signing other guys if they so choose right now. However, if their goal is to retain their own drafted talent, and knowing that they have upcoming CB, LT, QB, DL, and MLB extensions in order to keep the young core in place, it's not outlandish for them to prioritize remaining financially solvent and not necessarily handing out record setting contracts to outside players.

I would say if each of those guys commands a big pay day, it'll have been a great few seasons and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. With a QB on a rookie deal, the time to be aggressive is now. We're talking about the prospects of paying one defensive end; not 3 or 4 high priced long term FA's. 

If ALL of those guys play well enough to earn a big payday; wow. Life (as far as the Bills go) will be good.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

With respect the first sentence is not the relevant bit. It is the bit immediately after your bolded. "The player may sign ONLY a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season.." 

That could not be clearer to me. 

I’m super confused on this. Kalil Mack was traded to the Bears at the beginning of September last year and then signed a 6 yr deal. Is this a new rule or something? 

5 minutes ago, Meazy26 said:

I’m super confused on this. Kalil Mack was traded to the Bears at the beginning of September last year and then signed a 6 yr deal. Is this a new rule or something? 

Possibly due to the franchise tag.  Mack wasn't tagged. 

I don't know if that's the case just guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's wishful thinking.

Its extremely unrealistic to think you are going to hit on just about all your draft picks in the top few rounds.

Of the list I posted, which guys look like busts that don't warrant re-signing, in your opinion? Ed Oliver, obviously we don't know yet because he hasn't played a down of regular season football in the NFL. Of the rest of them, which ones do you imagine us letting walk away? Our starting left tackle? Our starting #1 cornerback? One or both of our outstanding young linebackers?

To be fair, all this Clowney hype falls more comfortably into the "wishful thinking" category than the idea of the Beane regime wanting to retain their own drafted players.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's wishful thinking.

Its extremely unrealistic to think you are going to hit on just about all your draft picks in the top few rounds.

The premise is that each of those guys will not only command top dollar; it's that they'll be so indespensable that the Bills can't even consider letting them walk. I'm not too "worried" about that.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Of the list I posted, which guys look like busts that don't warrant re-signing, in your opinion?

If I were to nitpick the list, I would say it's pretty unlikely Harrison Phillips is going to be some coveted big ticket FA.