Off the top of my head:

Reggie Bush

Marques Colston

Rod Woodson

Vontaze Burfict

Travis Kecle

Dan Marino

Melvin Gordon

How large would your list be if the question was how many players who had this particular surgery never returned to their original form?

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm not completely sure about that.  The CBA appears to be "gray" on that point.  In my reading the July 15 clause pertains only to the relationship between the player and the "original" club - meaning that the player can't sign anything other than the franchise tender with the franchising club beyond July 15.  If, however, the player lands on another roster, then it doesn't look like the prohibition against an extension, etc., would apply to the player's relationship with his new club.  Maybe it's been arbitrated and a result contrary to my interpretation was reached - I don't have enough concern to look it up.  But I'm not convinced that Clowney couldn't sign long-term with a team other than the Texans to the extent he is traded while on his franchise tender. 

EDIT:  There also could be language elsewhere in the CBA pertinent to this point.  I read one paragraph somewhere b/w pages 44 and 51.  So to get a clear answer on this somebody would have to read the entire CBA (I assume there's an integration clause in the compact) and check any arbitration decisions on the topic. 

You seem to be the only person with this opinion.  I am not referencing folks on this site but experts who cover the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm not completely sure about that.  The CBA appears to be "gray" on that point.  In my reading the July 15 clause pertains only to the relationship between the player and the "original" club - meaning that the player can't sign anything other than the franchise tender with the franchising club beyond July 15.  If, however, the player lands on another roster, then it doesn't look like the prohibition against an extension, etc., would apply to the player's relationship with his new club.  Maybe it's been arbitrated and a result contrary to my interpretation was reached - I don't have enough concern to look it up.  But I'm not convinced that Clowney couldn't sign long-term with a team other than the Texans to the extent he is traded while on his franchise tender. 

EDIT:  There also could be language elsewhere in the CBA pertinent to this point.  I read one paragraph somewhere b/w pages 44 and 51.  So to get a clear answer on this somebody would have to read the entire CBA (I assume there's an integration clause in the compact) and check any arbitration decisions on the topic. 

From CBS Sportsline on trading Clowney:

The CBA prohibits any discussion about a new contract or even agreement in principle and impacts both the agent and the team with potential fines/loss of draft picks. See Below:

The Bills do have one advantage in Gaines that already negotiated an extension as GM of the Texans that was blocked by O’Brien.  So the Bills already know what parameters the Clowney camp is looking for.

Trade difficulties

Rumors of the Texans trading Clowney began gaining traction last week. A Clowney trade is easier said than done.

Several factors complicate a trade. Since players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until under contract, Clowney essentially has veto power on being dealt. The multi-year contract restriction also applies to any team acquiring Clowney in a trade.

The inability to sign Clowney long-term in conjunction with a trade should limit the draft choice compensation the Texans can get in return. Under ordinary circumstances, the Texans would likely able to get something between the second round pick the 49ersgave the Chiefs for Ford and the first round pick the Seahawks received from the Chiefs to get Clark.

If trade talks become serious, Clowney should make it abundantly clear he won't exercise his de facto no trade clause provided the one year contract he signs has language preventing him from being designated as a franchise or transition player in 2020. Insistence on this clause would be an additional complication.

A team must have enough salary cap room to absorb Clowney's current franchise tender of $15,967,200 in order to trade for him. Just over half of the NFL's 32 teams have enough cap space to fit in Clowney's franchise tender. Practically speaking, the number is less because of the change of salary cap accounting on September 5 when all players under contract start counting instead of the top 51 players. $2 million to $4 million of cap room is routinely lost with the change, which teams are already factoring into their cap management.

To make matters worse, the CBA also expressly prohibits any discussions about a new contract or any type of agreement in principle now that would go into effect after the regular season ends. The penalties would be an effective deterrent from violating the rules. Clowney and his agents, Bus Cook and Donald Weatherell, would be subject to a fine up to $500,000. Commissioner Roger Goodell could impose a fine for as much as $6.5 million on the team where up to two first round picks could also be forfeited. The team employees involved could be facing a year suspension and would have the same financial exposure as Clowney and his agents.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Or Miami ... or Seattle.. or Philly. Those are the 4 reported teams on trade talks.

Seattle gets rid of Frank Clark, but is gong to trade for Clowney? That seems like hustlin backwards to me. They need to be trying to trade for Trent Williams. 

Philly? Eh, maybe. 

Miami? I don't think anyone wants to go there right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's what I believe: he has a better chance of enhancing his value playing with a contending team with a defense his presence would make elite, than some pastel vacation destination. Maybe he stays or maybe not. As long as we don't trade the farm for him, I'm good. But if he wants to play elite defense, have a decent shot at the playoffs and maximize his free agent value, Buffalo is that team.

The person I was quoting wasn’t quite as clear minded. 

Define the farm? Starting tackle?

26 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Just kidding

You should be kicked to the curb.

Edited by Cripple Creek

5 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Seems like this topic has run its course.......

Well in a few hours the "24-48 hour" prediction will be up.......

As for the fake tweet, the only reason I knew it was fake was because of the inclusion of Singletarry. I could see Dawkins and a conditional pick (probably also see a conditional pick coming back to Buffalo) and a RB like Yeldon as being a deal for Clowney

32 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

From CBS Sportsline on trading Clowney:

The CBA prohibits any discussion about a new contract or even agreement in principle and impacts both the agent and the team with potential fines/loss of draft picks. See Below:

The Bills do have one advantage in Gaines that already negotiated an extension as GM of the Texans that was blocked by O’Brien.  So the Bills already know what parameters the Clowney camp is looking for.

Trade difficulties

Rumors of the Texans trading Clowney began gaining traction last week. A Clowney trade is easier said than done.

Several factors complicate a trade. Since players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until under contract, Clowney essentially has veto power on being dealt. The multi-year contract restriction also applies to any team acquiring Clowney in a trade.

The inability to sign Clowney long-term in conjunction with a trade should limit the draft choice compensation the Texans can get in return. Under ordinary circumstances, the Texans would likely able to get something between the second round pick the 49ersgave the Chiefs for Ford and the first round pick the Seahawks received from the Chiefs to get Clark.

If trade talks become serious, Clowney should make it abundantly clear he won't exercise his de facto no trade clause provided the one year contract he signs has language preventing him from being designated as a franchise or transition player in 2020. Insistence on this clause would be an additional complication.

A team must have enough salary cap room to absorb Clowney's current franchise tender of $15,967,200 in order to trade for him. Just over half of the NFL's 32 teams have enough cap space to fit in Clowney's franchise tender. Practically speaking, the number is less because of the change of salary cap accounting on September 5 when all players under contract start counting instead of the top 51 players. $2 million to $4 million of cap room is routinely lost with the change, which teams are already factoring into their cap management.

To make matters worse, the CBA also expressly prohibits any discussions about a new contract or any type of agreement in principle now that would go into effect after the regular season ends. The penalties would be an effective deterrent from violating the rules. Clowney and his agents, Bus Cook and Donald Weatherell, would be subject to a fine up to $500,000. Commissioner Roger Goodell could impose a fine for as much as $6.5 million on the team where up to two first round picks could also be forfeited. The team employees involved could be facing a year suspension and would have the same financial exposure as Clowney and his agents.

Probably written by a sports journalist, not a lawyer.  To be taken with a grain of salt. 

Read the first sentence in this clause.  I'm not saying it's dispositive, just "gray" - it looks to me like the prohibition against post-July 15 extensions could apply only to the franchising team.  What makes it "gray" is the last clause of the paragraph.  The question is whether the first clause (or anything else in the CBA, which I haven't bothered to and won't read) changes the interpretation of this language.  

With respect to your underlined language, Clowney isn't under contract and therefore is free to negotiate as he sees fit.  Not sure how the penalty language would apply to a team to which he is traded if the conversations occur prior to the signing of the franchise tender.  

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

8 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Seems like we have to at least get past the 4:45 time range that Lombardi referenced. That being said, there seems a wide consensus that he will be traded, and until he's traded somewhere that isn't buffalo, ya never know. 

13 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Barring someone stepping up and becoming a pass rushing force for the Bills the Clowney discussion is likely to continue until he signs a long term contract next spring.

I get that some hopeless click-aholics can't even function amidst ongoing speculation but that's not actually an everyone problem........it probably just feels like it to them.     

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle believes a trade is already in place.  What's holding it up is whether Clowney comes in and signs his offer sheet.

He believes it's for a LT.  Possibly Williams w/ the Redskins?

"I think coach Bill O’Brien, the de facto general manager, has a deal worked out with another team, but he can’t complete the trade until Clowney is under contract. He’s due to make $15.97 million this season after he signs the tender.

“Until he decides to come in and sign his tender, the ball’s in his court relative to playing for the Texans,” O’Brien said after Saturday’s loss. “Until he signs the tender, there’s not much to talk about. I don’t have any idea of a specific date that he’ll decide if he wants to be here"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/Jadeveon-Clowney-on-his-way-out-of-town-14376454.php

OR....

Would Beane trade Dawkins for Clowney, then turn around and swing a trade for Trent Williams??

Edited by dezertbill

25 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

These HS videos are hilarious. Did any of these HS opposing coaches facing Clowney consider a double team.   He was only like a foot taller than anyone else.  

Yeah, I remember when he was being recruited these videos were floating out there and just absurd. He looks like Andy Reid at the punt, pass and kick competition 

• Haha (+1) 1