Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Its too late for multiple moves

We have enough LG's now that have been getting reps at LG

Nsekhe to LT where he has played before

Ford has been playing RT.....no need to move him

Dawkins and Shady traded for 1 year of Clowney

1 year, and then he goes to New England on a 5, 6 year deal?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Define the farm? Starting tackle?

To me that's too much for a possible rental. Has to be a surplus player(s) Shady or Yeldon, Zay or WIlliams or Foster, maybe Shaq. No high picks. That's my comfort range.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I mean, Trent Williams for Clowney seems to make almost too much sense. Williams is adamant about never ever returning to that viper pit in Washington and Snyder’s stupid enough to make a trade for a guy with no guarantee he’ll resign after this year.

Couldn't a team just franchise Clowney again? If the Bills or another team were to trade for Clowney and play him out on a franchise tender and he didn't want to sign a verbal offer that was in place once the trade was completed (Let's say he plays insanely well) then couldn't a team just franchise him again and at least turn around and trade him again if he doesn't want to resign? 

Is there something I am missing about the situation? 

2 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

1 year, and then he goes to New England on a 5, 6 year deal?

He could do that whether the Bills trade for him or not.  But when was the last time the Patriots paid top of the market long term for any player? They don't even pay Brady top dollar! Isn't that their M.O.? No big long contracts? 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Couldn't a team just franchise Clowney again? If the Bills or another team were to trade for Clowney and play him out on a franchise tender and he didn't want to sign a verbal offer that was in place once the trade was completed (Let's say he plays insanely well) then couldn't a team just franchise him again and at least turn around and trade him again if he doesn't want to resign? 

It would be a huge 1 year deal  if they did...I think 2nd tag is 20% raise

Edited by nucci

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One year to impress upon him that he should stay longer.......we are a team on the rise who can actually pay him

Only if Josh Allen progresses.  If he doesn't, I don't see Clowney wanting to stick around through a coaching change, and another quest for a franchise QB, whether it be Tua, Justin Herbert, or Jake Fromm.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Yes good point - any team could franchise him again next year. That becomes prohibitively expensive quickly though, and considering he’s reluctant to even sign a year 1 franchise tender, odds of him signing two a la Cousins are low.

Players can be franchise-tagged in consecutive seasons, but the financial downside for teams increases each time. Two years in a row, for example, means the player receives 120% of his previous year’s salary, and every subsequent year, that percentage would scale upward and become costlier.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He could do that whether the Bills trade for him or not.  But when was the last time the Patriots paid top of the market long term for any player? They don't even pay Brady top dollar! Isn't that their M.O.? No big long contracts? 

They went pretty high on Gilmore, but I get what you're saying. That definitely was an anomaly as chasing the high end FAs is usually not what they do.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I take your point, but the last time they did this, they poached a guy from the Bills. I would agree I'm less concerned about NE than the average team out there in this situation.

Still say you roll the dice here. Without at least a verbal commit, you're not giving up a first. Beyond that, make it happen.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only two reputable, reliable sources to speak on this rumor so far have both stated that they move isn't likely. 

The only people keeping this rumor alive are bored Bills fans. It ain't happening.

This guy thinks we may need to deal with the contracts of Alexander , Hauschka and Spain in the next few years?  Really?   36 year old, 34 year old, and an average guard.

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Players can be franchise-tagged in consecutive seasons, but the financial downside for teams increases each time. Two years in a row, for example, means the player receives 120% of his previous year’s salary, and every subsequent year, that percentage would scale upward and become costlier.

so that would be more then.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only two reputable, reliable sources to speak on this rumor so far have both stated that they move isn't likely. 

The only people keeping this rumor alive are bored Bills fans. It ain't happening.

To play devils advocate, how many trades are likely to happen before they happen? Not saying it will happen, and it's unlikely for sure, but a lack of the ESPN guy knowing about it doesn't mean it wont. 

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

What about player(s) like McCoy/Nsekhe/Zay and a conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if he is re-signed? I feel like the players aren't missed since they're older and/or redundant and losing the pick hurts just enough to make sense for me.

If Cowney walks in free agency you basically swap a 2nd for a 3rd for one year of Clowney (without going into franchise tag options).

If he stays, a huge need would be filled. The 1st round pick would probably be used on a pass rusher anyway. You never know how that player will turn out and how long it will take them to reach their prime. Clowney is more of a sure thing.

As for the salary difference, it doesn't matter much since Buffalo has plenty of space for the next couple of years. Hopefully Clowney's new deal would be front loaded, leaving more cap space to re-sign Allen/Edmunds/White. However, even with a big salary for Clowney there will be plenty of cap space to sign everyone.

Not sure I would give up a 1st Round Pick under any circumstance.  Even if it was conditional.

Most draft classes just have too much talent in the Top 20-25.  General Managers who know what they are doing (which I believe applies to Brandon Beane) will hit on these picks the vast majority of the time.  The highest pick I would consider is a conditional 3rd Rounder, which then turned into a 2nd Rounder.

I'm OK with trading players like LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander.... pretty much anyone who won't be contributing to our team within the next 2-3 seasons.  

Bottom line... If this whole thing goes as planned, the Bills will be a 10-win playoff team this year.  By next season, they will be displacing the Patriots atop the AFC East.  By 2021, they will be serious contenders for the Super Bowl.  Obviously it's important to build confidence and start winning NOW.  But all roster moves need to be made with the future in mind.  When we start talking about using future draft picks for high-priced vets, I start getting really skeptical.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yes, but the Bills or any team could trade him and not get greedy like Texans and take whatever ever they can prior to July so another team can sign long term.

No news to me either means:

Bills aren’t interested as reports state

Clowney won’t sign tag to go Buffalo or Miami so Texans looking for another team.

Clowney is OK with Buffalo but teams can’t agree on deal likely. Eans longer it drags out, less capital going to Texans. 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gilmore was paid for. And, many of the Bills fans on here that said he was an average DB have got to see him given All-Pro status. I'm sure they will still argue he is average when he gets inducted into the HoF. 

I like pointing out ignorance.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Not sure I would give up a 1st Round Pick under any circumstance.  Even if it was conditional.

Most draft classes just have too much talent in the Top 20-25.  General Managers who know what they are doing (which I believe applies to Brandon Beane) will hit on these picks the vast majority of the time.  The highest pick I would consider is a conditional 3rd Rounder, which then turned into a 2nd Rounder.

I'm OK with trading players like LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander.... pretty much anyone who won't be contributing to our team within the next 2-3 seasons.  

Bottom line... If this whole thing goes as planned, the Bills will be a 10-win playoff team this year.  By next season, they will be displacing the Patriots atop the AFC East.  By 2021, they will be serious contenders for the Super Bowl.  Obviously it's important to build confidence and start winning NOW.  But all roster moves need to be made with the future in mind.  When we start talking about using future draft picks for high-priced vets, I start getting really skeptical.

How do you know that?