Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle believes a trade is already in place.  What's holding it up is whether Clowney comes in and signs his offer sheet.

He believes it's for a LT.  Possibly Williams w/ the Redskins?

"I think coach Bill O’Brien, the de facto general manager, has a deal worked out with another team, but he can’t complete the trade until Clowney is under contract. He’s due to make $15.97 million this season after he signs the tender.

“Until he decides to come in and sign his tender, the ball’s in his court relative to playing for the Texans,” O’Brien said after Saturday’s loss. “Until he signs the tender, there’s not much to talk about. I don’t have any idea of a specific date that he’ll decide if he wants to be here"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/Jadeveon-Clowney-on-his-way-out-of-town-14376454.php

OR....

Would Beane trade Dawkins for Clowney, then turn around and swing a trade for Trent Williams??

If he trades Dawkins Nweke (spelling??) goes to LT and Ford to RT.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, Trent Williams for Clowney seems to make almost too much sense. Williams is adamant about never ever returning to that viper pit in Washington and Snyder’s stupid enough to make a trade for a guy with no guarantee he’ll resign after this year.

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Probably written by a sports journalist, not a lawyer.  To be taken with a grain of salt. 

Read the first sentence in this clause.  I'm not saying it's dispositive, just "gray" - it looks to me like the prohibition against post-July 15 extensions could apply only to the franchising team.  What makes it "gray" is the last clause of the paragraph.  The question is whether the first clause (or anything else in the CBA, which I haven't bothered to and won't read) changes the interpretation of this language.  

With respect to your underlined language, Clowney isn't under contract and therefore is free to negotiate as he sees fit.  Not sure how the penalty language would apply to a team to which he is traded if the conversations occur prior to the signing of the franchise tender.  

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

Whatever - you read it how you want - the same thing as CBS is being reported everywhere and you are alone standing out their with your opinion.

You understand that places like CBS, ESPN etc - have actual lawyers versed in the CBA and understanding this.  

You also realize this this was discussed with the same issues every year when a player passes the July deadline and it is always reported that after that date no financial contract can be discussed even after a trade, but you know best.  For example - Bell last year.

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I mean, Trent Williams for Clowney seems to make almost too much sense. Williams is adamant about never ever returning to that viper pit in Washington and Snyder’s stupid enough to make a trade for a guy will no guarantee he’ll resign after this year.

Clowney probably doesn't want to play for the Skins because they aren't expected to be remotely competitive this year. Maybe a 3-way trade between the Bills, Texans, and Skins is possible? Does Washington have a burning desire for Zay Jones, perhaps???!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KayAdams said:

Clowney probably doesn't want to play for the Skins because they aren't expected to be remotely competitive this year. Maybe a 3-way trade between the Bills, Texans, and Skins is possible? Does Washington have a burning desire for Zay Jones, perhaps???!!!

I don’t think any team has assigned any trade value to Jones, and I like Zay a lot. 

And I don’t think any current player wants to play for Washington, Clowney included, but he wouldn’t have a choice (unless he decides to just sit out forever and not sign the franchise tag tender.)

I may be on the minority but I am not a fan of Dawkins, seems soft and inconsistent. Watching him in preseason has been a total let down considering the upgrades we made to the OL. Any deal that moves Dawkins on to another team I am fully in support of. 

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

I may be on the minority but I am not a fan of Dawkins, seems soft and inconsistent. Watching him in preseason has been a total let down considering the upgrades we made to the OL. Any deal that moves Dawkins on to another team I am fully in support of. 

Yeah, he doesn't really impress me.

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Whatever - you read it how you want - the same thing as CBS is being reported everywhere and you are alone standing out their with your opinion.

You understand that places like CBS, ESPN etc - have actual lawyers versed in the CBA and understanding this.  

You also realize this this was discussed with the same issues every year when a player passes the July deadline and it is always reported that after that date no financial contract can be discussed even after a trade, but you know best.  For example - Bell last year.

Sure those outlets have lawyers.  But did they contribute to the story?  And, for what it's worth, you still haven't contradicted my point about the ambiguity of the clause. 

Finally - maybe, just maybe, it would behoove players to get sharp lawyers for agents as opposed to the knuckleheads a lot of them tend to hire.  Drew Rosenhaus might seem like a putz, but look at what he did for Antonio Brown on the helmet issue.  He thought of things that nobody else bothered to explore under the CBA, and he kept the issue alive for his client for a lot longer than most would have expected. 

32 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

For what it's worth, the league would have a better argument if the clause read something like "Any player who is designated a Franchise Player shall have until 12:00 p.m. on July 15 to sign a multiyear contract . . . ."  The fact that it doesn't read that way supports the idea that the clause is meant to apply to the franchising team, not to the player.  

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Sure those outlets have lawyers.  But did they contribute to the story?  And, for what it's worth, you still haven't contradicted my point about the ambiguity of the clause. 

Finally - maybe, just maybe, it would behoove players to get sharp lawyers for agents as opposed to the knuckleheads a lot of them tend to hire.  Drew Rosenhaus might seem like a putz, but look at what he did for Antonio Brown on the helmet issue.  He thought of things that nobody else bothered to explore under the CBA, and he kept the issue alive for his client for a lot longer than most would have expected. 

I have already contradicted with actual reported info - on the other hand you have only given your opinion that differs from everyone else.  Show me a case that went you way and I will believe it.  Up until now it has not happened and has been reported by multiple outlets that it can’t happen per the CBA.

Yeah a sharp lawyer that lost 2 appeals that were found baseless and his client had to go back and do exactly what the league and NFLPA agreed to.  Plus it made his client look like a whining idiot and forced the GM to demand he return an lo and behold - AB backs down totally like a baby.

Edited by Rochesterfan

28 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

That’s fair I guess, but I hope you are taking into account the tremendous downgrade at LG last season compared to who he was playing next to his rookie year.

5 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Which offensive lineman does impress you?

They have have there strength and weakness. But with a better O-Line still doubts me. Spain great run blocker awful in pass. People under value him. But Dawkins people really over rate him.

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

So, what should Beane and McDermott do?  Move Dawkins to LG, move Nsekhe to LT, and move Ford to RT?

Not much you can do. At this point. But if Texans asking for Dawkins for a good player you take it. But no need to make make something less than worth it. It's a reason why Gm and coach do this. I wouldn't complain if they do if they don't.. If there thinking trade. Just a opinion. 

10 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Does AB have his old helmet - nope.  An agent can create what ever set of facts he/she wants but that does not mean they will prevail.  Clowney  can not sign and is not disputed by either side based on the CBA. If even remotely possible, it would have been pursued by now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

So, what should Beane and McDermott do?  Move Dawkins to LG, move Nsekhe to LT, and move Ford to RT?

Its too late for multiple moves

We have enough LG's now that have been getting reps at LG

Nsekhe to LT where he has played before

Ford has been playing RT.....no need to move him

Dawkins and Shady traded for 1 year of Clowney