Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This excellent post illustrates how untenable the Bills salary cap situation is getting.    How does this keep happening????

Welp Beane got us out of salary cap hell once........good thing he plays a mean fiddle!    

It is hard convincing people here that the idea is to have good football players. I sometimes think fans would prefer it if we always had $100m of cap space and 6 comp picks. Maybe it is the comfort that when you are in that spot it means you have made a decision to have a rebuild and hence the expectation is less? Are some fans more naturally comfortable following a plucky underdog than a team that has clearly set its goal on acquiring Championship calibre talent? 

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is hard convincing people here that the idea is to have good football players. I sometimes think fans would prefer it if we always had $100m of cap space and 6 comp picks. Maybe it is the comfort that when you are in that spot it means you have made a decision to have a rebuild and hence the expectation is less? Are some fans more naturally comfortable following a plucky underdog than a team that has clearly set its goal on acquiring Championship calibre talent? 

Problem with that line of thinking: this team has talent. And for the record I'm for going after clowney, and Spain is overrated. ?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Many Bills fans have become fantasy football enthusiasts who enjoy possibility more than actuality.  The off-season and draft have become the Super Bowl.  Couple that with a lurking paranoia that whatever decision the team makes will be the wrong one, many fans prefer indecisiveness to action.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Problem with that line of thinking: this team has talent. And for the record I'm for going after clowney, and Spain is overrated. ?

I am for going after Clowney too but nervous about the ability to re-sign him. Spain will be fine. I agree with those who say he looks a bit heavy but other than one play where he got blown up by a really good DT he has had a solid pre-season. He was playing well against Detroit before the injury. 

5 hours ago, rayray808 said:

I check this thread non stop just hoping for that one screen shot of a reputable source reporting that Clowney is on the way to Buffalo 

Just to level set — The only “source” to claim this is as far as ive seen Why So Serious account on Twitter, which is a podcast run by Stevie Johnson and Donald Jones. At one point, they had the Bills playing in thanksgiving game before anyone else (that I saw). Not sure if that makes them credible. 

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

first of all, Clowney is not signed by Houston. He effectively has a no trade clause because the team can’t trade him until he signs the tag. This means that not only does the acquiring team need to want Clowney, Clowney needs to want them

Second of all, any team trading for Clowney couldn’t even give him the money he wants. After the July 15 deadline passed, a team can only trade for Clowney and let it ride.

(essentially, he's a one year rental. highly doubt anyone meets their trade demands. he likely plays out this season with houston, gets tagged again and then traded before next years july 15th deadline)

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/17/20810293/seahawks-trade-rumors-jadeveon-clowney-texans-franchise-tag-holdout-seattle-2019-preseason

This is what is holding up the trade/making it very complicated.  (wherever he lands)

9 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

My gut tells me Houston is holding out for a first round pick or a franchise type player in return. LTs, DEs and QBs get paid the highest in the NFL and it will take a measure of a high value player with a high draft pick. The Bills just don’t have the equity and to be honest I’d rather ride with who they have now than mortgage a 1st round pick on Clowney. 

My money is on Seattle fwiw. They like these types of high priced vets and are devoid of a pass rush once Clark went to KC. 

8 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

They can't get anywhere close to a first.  Clowney will only go to a team that will not tag him again.  A one year rental isnt worth close to a round 1 pick.

Given how well they have drafted, how well this team is put together, and what great shape our salary cap is in I fully expect us to contend this year, but I believe 4-5 of our picks in the 2020 draft are just going to solidify this teams future.

I don’t want to lose that because it is not cliche to say you build through the draft.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What does it say that he hasn't been dealt yet? No one is offering what the Texans think they are owed.

I think it’s more about Clowney hasn’t approved a destination yet, of the teams talking to the texans. Most of what I’ve read says it hinges on him

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Not everyone is HUGE patriot* fan like YOU 

58 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just like your parents condom and I'm sure they were so glad when they saw two pink lines on the test.

Not sure why the personal attacks?  Many vets have gone to the Pats looking for a ring... Do you really think Clowney would want to go to the Dolphins or Bills?