What's your hobby?

RochesterRob

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

1) Woodworking (pine, oak, cherry, maple, small furniture, tables, shelves, etc)

2) Flyfishing/fly tying

3) Baking (breads, rolls, coffee cake) and cooking (soups, stews, smoked meats, cured meats, etc)

4) Servicing my wife

You already said baking and cooking. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Watching sports. Bills (obviously), University of Houston Cougar Baseball, Buffalo Sabres, Houston Cougar Football, and Houston Astros.

I'm a huge baseball fan so I've taken up score keeping at games because I have season tickets to the Cougars and can only drag my wife and/or friends along to so many. 

I'm a rock history buff. I go to a lot of tribute band concerts since the bands I listen to are dead, retired, or ridiculously expensive.

I enjoy writing, and have had a few articles about various local tribute bands published in a local music magazine. 

I play guitar and ukulele. Not very well, I like to tell people I know all three chords. 

I play the occasional video game. Not much though. Maybe an hour or two a day, ever two or three days. 

I enjoy the occasional cigar and glass of whiskey. 

I've been wanting to take up a sport again. Martial arts is expensive, and I'm not in very good shape. Golf is not ideal for my yankee body in this Texas heat. Thinking bowling would be fun. I used to bowl in a house leauge in high school. Wasn't good enough for the school team. Lost interest when the bowling alley I was in shut down, and they combined the age group and forced me to play on a team with kids that were like 10 when I was 15-16.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

In New York and how many acres?

Not in New York.

I honestly don't know how they grow decent reds there.

I'm in the Monticello Appellation in the Charlottesville VA area.

1000 vines. Petit Verdot. 

Edited by sherpa

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I like to read - mystery, sci-fi, psychological thrillers, spy novels, etc.

I do a couple of crossword puzzles while sipping my morning coffee.

I make somewhat recognizable sounds with an acoustic guitar.

My wife and I go camping a couple of times a year. Not wilderness - just campgrounds.

I also write, both professionally and as a hobby.

I read more than most people, for sure. Always have at least one book going. Go out to lunch every day and I’m the strange guy reading a book, having an Arnold Palmer with my meal at the bar. Surprises me how many people are drinking alcohol at lunch every day! 

There is something peaceful about crosswords, I have a book of easy ones sitting next to me. 

I have a good buddy who just moved here from Florida. He has a music room in the new house with about 20 guitars on the walls. It’s his thing, with recording studio in the basement. Before his wife moved up he was getting settled in the new house. He went out for a toilet paper holder.....and bought a grand piano for the living room. The wifey did not move up soon enough! 

If the rest of my life plays out right, you will NEVER see me camping again. 

On my next BDay I can talk classes for free at a local college. I’m looking at writing and culinary classes, just for fun. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Not in New York.

I honestly don't know how they grow decent reds there.

I'm in the Monticello Appellation in the Charlottesville VA area.

1000 vines. Petit Verdot. 

That's really cool.  I've been down a few times but haven't really branched out past NVA.  Virginia makes some really solid wines.  

You're right about NY, tough to do reds here.  If you're ever in the Finger Lakes, try Forge.  Aside from some legit world class riesling, they have a decent pinot (at least for NY).   

Edited by stony

9 minutes ago, stony said:

That's really cool.  I've been down a few times but haven't really branched out past NVA.  Virginia makes some really solid wines.  

You're right about NY, tough to do reds here.  If you're ever in the Finger Lakes, try Forge.  Aside from some legit world class resiling, they have a decent pinot (at least for NY).   

I've been told that it's in the soils.  I know where the vineyards are in the Finger Lakes and Chautaugua Regions so maybe I will check a soil map or two out as I know how to read them.  Also, a lot of breeding has been done over the past several decades including research at Cornell and private growers such as Dr (Konstantin) Frank near Hammondsport.  Cornell was integral in the Concord and its role along Lake Erie.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I've been told that it's in the soils.  I know where the vineyards are in the Finger Lakes and Chautaugua Regions so maybe I will check a soil map or two out as I know how to read them.  Also, a lot of breeding has been done over the past several decades including research at Cornell and private growers such as Dr (Konstantin) Frank near Hammondsport.  Cornell was integral in the Concord and its role along Lake Erie.

Interesting.  Between the soil and the climate, reds are difficult it would seem.  Some of the wine makers we've met on visits look at it as a positive though.  They can screw around with different varietals and not be pigeonholed for one specific type.  Everyone still seems to be looking for the 'best' one.    

3 minutes ago, stony said:

Interesting.  Between the soil and the climate, reds are difficult it would seem.  Some of the wine makers we've met on visits look at it as a positive though.  They can screw around with different varietals and not be pigeonholed for one specific type.  Everyone still seems to be looking for the 'best' one.    

It is fascinating.  Go to the SE shore of Seneca Lake near Lodi and find shale several inches down.  Go to Naples and find deep topsoil along with permeable subsoil on a valley flat that probably gets two hours less direct sunlight per day due to the terrain.

6 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Soil has a clear effect on taste, as do other matters of specific terroir, but it's the length of the growing season that is the biggest problem up there.

Reds need time. We get bud break in late April, thankfully almost always after the last frost. Reds, at least French Bordeaux reds won't tolerate frost.

Whites are a bit less impacted.

We harvest around Sep 15 +/- about three days depending on the year, but I start measuring the chemistry on about Sep 8.

The time from about now until harvest is critical. Not too much rain, not too hot and cool nights help.

Rain at harvest is a killer.

WNY has much later frosts and a smaller growing season. I wouldn't even try to grow a red up there, but I'm told some are successful.

I've spent a lot of time in Chile, Argentina and European wine regions, and they have a huge advantage in climate, and require much less spraying.

Still, grapes are grapes and will do their thing.

20 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I am an audiophile. I like high end stereo equipment, and I often buy, sell and trade it. My favorite brand of equipment is Bryston or Krell. The components are built military grade and produce awesome sound. Bryston equipment carries a 20 year warranty!

Nothing today sounds like a good quality component system of yesterday, even when we're talking about mainstream brands then (Marantz, Sansui, Dual) ... while .mp3 files have revolutionized taking music with you, they are the bane of audio purists 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Nothing today sounds like a good quality component system of yesterday, even when we're talking about mainstream brands then (Marantz, Sansui, Dual) ... while .mp3 files have revolutionized taking music with you, they are the bane of audio purists 

My dad had one of these, and I would gladly donate a kidney to any TBD'er in return for one to run my turntable setup..........

image.thumb.png.ccfb52e01b91aa0d90c469daa85fd225.png

25 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Absolutely nothing beats good sound! In the age of home theatre, I have remained a two channel guy. Vinyl is still the way to go. I understood good sound when I was a teenager. I shoveled drive ways for two weeks to get my first Marantz Integrated amplifier back in the day.

21 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My dad had one of these, and I would gladly donate a kidney to any TBD'er in return for one to run my turntable setup..........

Beautiful! If you do get your hands on one, dont let it go. You may want to check Audiogon.com for vintage Marantz. It is a good site with honest members. Most audiophiles take better care of their audio equipment than their cars. 

Edited by Rocket94

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Absolutely nothing beats good sound! In the age of home theatre, I have remained a two channel guy. Vinyl is still the way to go. I understood good sound when I was a teenager. I shoveled drive ways for two weeks to get my first Marantz Integrated amplifier back in the day.

Beautiful! If you do get your hands on one, dont let it go. You may want to check Audiogon.com for vintage Marantz. It is a good site with honest members. Most audiophiles take better care of their audio equipment than their cars. 

I still have my Marantz 4230 Quad receiver ... it's in pristine shape

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am very effective at killing them

They can be a challenge...The oldest one I've had about 25 years...add at least another 10 years and I estimate it at 35-40 years old...I have a few that age, others around 20.  Mostly junipers and Korean Hornbeams (the most hard for sure), a few ***** maples, a few black pines...haven't added any recently.

11 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Why not keep your kidney, go to Ebay, and just buy one?

They aren't that expensive.  $500 to $1,000 range will give you many options.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, RochesterRob said:

Do you like doing something that is off of the beaten path.  I like to collect old brochures for things like for cars.  Mostly from the late 1970's and early 1980's before I graduated college.  My cousin likes doing something similar but with farm equipment.  He most recently was offered a salesperson's training book from the 1960's but at almost 1,300 hundred dollars he had to pass.  My main interest is GM products from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

I like to play tennis.THAT is not off the beaten path. On change overs or during breaks, while sweating BUCKETS on a lovely 95 degree afternoon (with a fells like of 107 a couple days ago for 2 hours!), I like to sit on the bench, drop my head down and drip sweat from the bill of my cap and make sweat patterns on the ground. I am a leaky spigot! On a good day, I can find ants and encircle them with my nasty little moat. Does that make me a bad person?  Or just....crazy? If it’s crazy, I blame the heat. 

21 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

We had a Marantz tuner/amp in the basement for over 30 years. We just gave it to my nephews (ages 11 and 20).  I hope they are putting it to good use.  They were excited to get it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

How hard is it to play those tiny ones on the fireplace mantle ??? 

Read books

Play video games

They’re tough, no doubt. But my original G.I.Joe can play bar chords on them.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, RochesterRob said:

I've written both professionally and as a hobby.  Never got published but was asked to contribute on a couple of articles concerning economics and land values.  

Land values in the Dunkirk and greater Batavia area?

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Land values in the Dunkirk and greater Batavia area?

Not previously in those areas but with some research I could give a pretty good assessment.  Dunkirk as in vineyards?  Batavia as in muck land or vegetable growing soil?  Development?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's littering meets Pokeman Go. 

Actually, it stresses picking up garbage  when you see it along the way.   Good way to  get in exercise.  Get to see a lot of nice trails. Pokemon Go just encourages people to wander into traffic.  There are geocaches everywhere except NK, and the ISIS  controlled areas.

I made quite a few 1/35 scale model tanks when I was having chemo post cancer surgery, never did this prior but was suggested I needed to ‘have a hobby’! 

Was as weak as a kitten.

Was good therapy.

Hindsight... May have been the glue though...

• Haha (+1) 1