Bills 2019 opponents: Pats WR Josh Gorden applies for reinstatement

HOUSE

Image result for josh gordon

Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended by the NFL following Week 15 last year for an indefinite time for violating the terms of his conditional reinstatement under the league’s drug policy.

Gordon’s been previously troubled with similar circumstances in 2015 and 2016, but he’s looking to be reinstatement again as he’s applied for another comeback.

Gordon had 720 receiving yards on 40 catches last season in 11 games played. Gordon was a restricted free agent this past spring and signed a one-year deal worth $2.025 million with the Pats this offseason.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/04/buffalo-bills-2019-opponents-patriots-wr-josh-gorden-applies-for-reinstatement/

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Screw 3rd, 4th & 5th Chances. I hope Goodell offers an emphatic ‘HELL NO!’

I'm not sure if this story from Boston.com has ever been shared here, but Jesus Christ, what a read.  It all starts out with him using Xanax in 7th grade.  One quote I'll post is also very telling ...

“I’ve been enabled most of my life honestly,” Gordon said. “I’ve been enabled by coaches, teachers, professors — everybody pretty much gave me a second chance just because of my ability.”

I, too, think he's had too many chances.  But I also believe there's a lot more to it than being, "a pothead."  The guy needs help and I hope he gets it.  But I really, really, really, don't want him playing for the Patriots!!

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Original Byrd Man said:

He is with the patriots.  Of course he will be reinstated.  Roger has to take care of his massage parlor buddy

Look, I hate the Pats but this stuff is getting dumb. If he loved the Pats, he won’t have suspended Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

I've read that his issues are more beyond smoking weed....he's also having issues with opiods....if true, not good....

Sounds like benzos as well.  You name it, he does it.

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure if this story from Boston.com has ever been shared here, but Jesus Christ, what a read.  It all starts out with him using Xanax in 7th grade.  One quote I'll post is also very telling ...

“I’ve been enabled most of my life honestly,” Gordon said. “I’ve been enabled by coaches, teachers, professors — everybody pretty much gave me a second chance just because of my ability.”

I, too, think he's had too many chances.  But I also believe there's a lot more to it than being, "a pothead."  The guy needs help and I hope he gets it.  But I really, really, really, don't want him playing for the Patriots!!

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

Article spells out a lifetime loser. I see no good coming from him throughout his life and imo completely unworthy of another opportunity in the NFL. Of course he was enabled. Every great child athlete is. He has weak character. That’s on him.

its lame to blame.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Article spells out a lifetime loser. I see no good coming from him throughout his life and imo completely unworthy of another opportunity in the NFL. Of course he was enabled. Every great child athlete is. He has weak character. That’s on him.

its lame to blame.

It certainly doesn't seem that he's a good person, with the criminal activity (stealing, dealing, etc.).  

I just think that he's an addict with mental illness (obviously, just an opinion based on what we do know about him).

I don't think he belongs in the NFL.  I'm looking it at this more as a 28-year-old man whose life is in danger.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It certainly doesn't seem that he's a good person, with the criminal activity (stealing, dealing, etc.).  

I just think that he's an addict with mental illness (obviously, just an opinion based on what we do know about him).

I don't think he belongs in the NFL.  I'm looking it at this more as a 28-year-old man whose life is in danger.

He needs mental and emotional help. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Original Byrd Man said:

He is with the patriots.  Of course he will be reinstated.  Roger has to take care of his massage parlor buddy

If this were true then he probably wouldn't have been suspended in the first place...

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Hate to see talent wasted.

Do you believe he should get another chance?

Now me, I don’t care how much

Pot he smokes, and the nfl aught to not to care either, it’s his brain after all,  I think the federal government should legalize pot, tax it, and fund social security with that income stream,  but that’s just me, maybe...,

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Do you believe he should get another chance?

Now me, I don’t care how much

Pot he smokes, and the nfl aught to not to care either, it’s his brain after all,  I think the federal government should legalize pot, tax it, and fund social security with that income stream,  but that’s just me, maybe...,

Go Bills!!!

I really don't care either.  Unless the league policy changes I don't know that 10 more chances will do him much good.

Mental health issues +no self discipline+addict+enablers posing as role models= bottomless pit of hell.
 poor kid

Football?

uh no.hell no

Institutionalize the kid for a couple years and see if he can become a functioning human being.

sorry. no hate though, just sympathy from 

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

its lame to blame.

The one caveat i would add though is that people can be genetically vulnerable to addiction.  I had a beat friend in HS that was smart and came from a good home, great parents, great siblings but got addicted to everything.  Along the way he went through some testing where the doctor determined he had genetics that make him very vulnerable to addictive substances.   

So its not as cut and dry always that it’s just them being a bad person, addiction is an ugly foe that takes a hold of a persons life no matter how much they don’t want it to.  Gordon strikes me as this type of case, not just one of those cases where an athlete is just being an entitled jerk.  

Hope he gets the help he needs.  

Just now, Bills2ref said:

Nothing would surprise me about the NFL and the Patriots. But this guy violated his conditional reinstatement. What is he going to get? A conditional reinstatement to his conditional reinstatement? 

Double secret conditional reinstatement?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know enough about the specifics of his latest violation to judge his current situation.  In general, he seems to have been given significant opportunities to keep the train on the tracks.  His failure to take advantage of any of these chances seems to be a clear indication that he is incapable of doing so.  Giving him a job with the ability to earn millions of dollars does not seem like a rational plan.  He is likely to just refill his personal pharmacy and travel on down the road to his own self destruction.  It is a very sad case indeed and reminds me of the Justin Blackmon case in Jacksonville.  He was also a young supremely talented receiver with a chronic substance/alcohol problem.  He was unable to get it together to have a career in the league.