Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

31 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

WOO HOO! The Sabres are FINALLY going to play some meaningful games in April and May!

:thumbsup:

Well games, not quite meaningful 

31 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Imagine what we’d be saying if the Sabres were having a President’s Trophy season.

I know!  I said something similar in the Bona thread that I'm glad now the team has had the wheels fall off the last few weeks..........Just thinking now - a fanbase as good as Dayton is going to be screwed.  This will be their Bob Lanier year, thinking they definitely would have won the whole thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

WOO HOO! The Sabres are FINALLY going to play some meaningful games in April and May!

:thumbsup:

Not only that, but Eichel might be healthy again by the time they resume play. ;)

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I wonder what happens with the salary cap if the NHL needs to cancel?  Thats a lot of revenue for a gate-driven league.  Especially if the playoffs cannot be played

What they could do is based on the current revenue stream project what it would be for a full season. Or another option might be keep the current salary cap for another year, or maybe at the current level add an agreed percentage to that base for projected income growth. I really don't think that the salary cap issue is going to be a difficult issue to resolve between management and the players. 

There is another factor that might come into play. It wouldn't be surprising if the league had insurance to cover some of the lost revenue due to an unforeseen catastrophic event. 

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not only that, but Eichel might be healthy again by the time they resume play. ;)

Yeah, but Sobotka could be too.

Seriously though, just imagine the LTIR implications that could actually pop up for certain teams.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah, but Sobotka could be too.

Seriously though, just imagine the LTIR implications that could actually pop up for certain teams.

Hadn't thought of it, but yeah, teams that are using BF-LTIR (Sabres technically aren't in that group anymore since they dumped Bogosian's salary because ELC bonuses can slide to next season) could be in a world of hurt if the regular season stretches too far out.  But if those guys are back for the playoffs then the teams don't have any issues as the player salaries have already been earned / paid and playoff money is entirely paid from bonus pools and don't count against team salary caps.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hadn't thought of it, but yeah, teams that are using BF-LTIR (Sabres technically aren't in that group anymore since they dumped Bogosian's salary because ELC bonuses can slide to next season) could be in a world of hurt if the regular season stretches too far out.  But if those guys are back for the playoffs then the teams don't have any issues as the player salaries have already been earned / paid and playoff money is entirely paid from bonus pools and don't count against team salary caps.

It's time to take out the old forging pen and push back those return dates for certain players.

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I wonder what happens with the salary cap if the NHL needs to cancel?  Thats a lot of revenue for a gate-driven league.  Especially if the playoffs cannot be played

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What they could do is based on the current revenue stream project what it would be for a full season. Or another option might be keep the current salary cap for another year, or maybe at the current level add an agreed percentage to that base for projected income growth. I really don't think that the salary cap issue is going to be a difficult issue to resolve between management and the players. 

There is another factor that might come into play. It wouldn't be surprising if the league had insurance to cover some of the lost revenue due to an unforeseen catastrophic event. 

Nothing would happen to next year's cap unless they expect this season's alterations to effect next season's revenue projections.

However, if teams are having to refund ticket & television money (and losing concession money) the players could take a MASSIVE escrow hit (possibly even so much as to having to cover excess withholding directly from their own pockets).  Doubt that lost revenues will climb that high, but if they have to reduce the playoff tourney which drops TV revenue there will be a lot of unhappy players as they split 50%-50% all Hockey Related Revenues (HRR) with the owners.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nothing would happen to next year's cap unless they expect this season's alterations to effect next season's revenue projections.

However, if teams are having to refund ticket & television money (and losing concession money) the players could take a MASSIVE escrow hit (possibly even so much as to having to cover excess withholding directly from their own pockets).  Doubt that lost revenues will climb that high, but if they have to reduce the playoff tourney which drops TV revenue there will be a lot of unhappy players as they split 50%-50% all Hockey Related Revenues (HRR) with the owners.

And then there are some of those bonus clauses for the ELCs.  I don't know the specifics on those, but I'd imagine they'd have to prorate anything with a games played component.

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

And then there are some of those bonus clauses for the ELCs.  I don't know the specifics on those, but I'd imagine they'd have to prorate anything with a games played component.

There are "ice time" bonuses that guys on ELCs are eligible for, but those are aggregate and per game relative to other players (on their own team and league wide).  There aren't any that kick in for x # of games played, so they shouldn't have to prorate them. 

Though could you imagine how frustrated Olofsson would've been had he not scored his 20th against the Caps should their season have ended after that game.  Finishing the year with 19 goals would've taken $212k out of his pocket (or more accurately that 20th goal put it in his pocket).

If games are lost, there's almost definitely a player or 2 that will lose out on a nice performance bonus.  Oh, well.

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The Sabres are expecting the season to be suspended, according to a source. Awaiting official word from the NHL, but they are preparing to return to Buffalo this afternoon.

Sabres ahead of the curve when they suspended their season at the All Star break.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s weird, as much as I complain about the Sabres and say I’m losing interest, I already kind of miss watching them play tonight. 

Yeah, as much as we were out of it, I still looked forward to seeing Eichel, Dahlin, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

WTF Pegulas, you have more money than God, not paying your people is an awful, awful look....this could get ugly for them, no matter how well the Bills are trending

How will it get ugly for them?

Jesus Christ they said in a statement they are expecting the games to be rescheduled. They didn't say they weren't paying their employees.

Of course, it's always easier to spend someone elses money, right?

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

How will it get ugly for them?

Jesus Christ they said in a statement they are expecting the games to be rescheduled. They didn't say they weren't paying their employees.

Of course, it's always easier to spend someone elses money, right?

When you have players , even rookies, https://thehill.com/homenews/news/487547-giannis-antetokounmpo-zion-williamson-donate-to-arena-employees-out-of-work-due   pledging money to make sure part time workers are not hurt  as bad financially as could be.., as well as several owners, but billionaire Pegulas need to "see where this goes"..that's just pure BS.

The whole ethos of #billsmafia and Buffalo is we take care of own when it comes down to brass tacks and times are difficult...Pegulas are not exactly embodying that with this statement.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

When you have players , even rookies, https://thehill.com/homenews/news/487547-giannis-antetokounmpo-zion-williamson-donate-to-arena-employees-out-of-work-due   pledging money to make sure part time workers are not hurt  as bad financially as could be.., as well as several owners, but billionaire Pegulas need to "see where this goes"..that's just pure BS.

The whole ethos of #billsmafia and Buffalo is we take care of own when it comes down to brass tacks and times are difficult...Pegulas are not exactly embodying that with this statement.

How do you know that they won't soon work out a payment plan for the temporary workers for their events? This health crisis is moving stunningly fast with little knowledge of what is going to happen in the near or longer future. Right now no one knows for sure how long the league will be closed down for, or even if the season will continue.  I'm sure the Pegulas are aware of the financial hardships these workers are immediately going to be subjected to. But that doesn't mean that they can instantly come up with the mechanics (workable solution)  to pay for the mostly temp workers who work week to week on uneven schedules. That in itself is going to be a challenge to work out. 

The NBA and NHL owners are all in similar situations. Many teams are owned by one owner and there are teams owned by many owners and some by conglomerates. So there might be complications for each franchise to come up with a payout plan if they so choose. So if the Pegulas wait a little longer to see how this issue is in general handled instead of jumping the gun with an ill conceived and unworkable plan why not wait a little longer before making a judgment about their good-will and generosity?

Edited by JohnC

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

There are no games. 

Should season ticket holders not get refunds and, instead, pay the Pegula's because they saved two Buffalo sports franchises?

You tell me.

You tell me.  Who can better absorb a period of no income? 

Stop moving the target.  You're outraged that someone would dare suggest that the Pegula's follow the lead shown by their counterparts. 

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Again, where did the Pegula's say they won't be paying their employees?

If you feel that bad about it why don't you start up a go-fund-me account to pay those people and start with a big donation from yourself.

AGAIN, where did the Pegula's say they won't be paying their employees?

Show me.

Show me where they have followed the lead set by their counterparts? Quit moving the target.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

How do you know that they won't soon work out a payment plan for the temporary workers for their events? This health crisis is moving stunningly fast with little knowledge of what is going to happen in the near or longer future. Right now no one knows for sure how long the league will be closed down for, or even if the season will continue.  I'm sure the Pegulas are aware of the financial hardships these workers are immediately going to be subjected to. But that doesn't mean that they can instantly come up with the mechanics (workable solution)  to pay for the mostly temp workers who work week to week on uneven schedules. That in itself is going to be a challenge to work out. 

The NBA and NHL owners are all in similar situations. Many teams are owned by one owner and there are teams owned by many owners and some by conglomerates. So there might be complications for each franchise to come up with a payout plan if they so choose. So if the Pegulas wait a little longer to see how this issue is in general handled instead of jumping the gun with an ill conceived and unworkable plan why not wait a little longer before making a judgment about their good-will and generosity?

All they have to say is if a regularly scheduled game is not played we will still make sure out PT are not affected financially. . How freaking hard is that to do?

The Pegulas may be fantastic owners and people, but they are quite possibly the worst organization at PR in sports. 

and yes, many owners have said that same exact statement that they will make their employees whole. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/report-players-may-soon-be-allowed-back-into-nhl-facilities

As we told you Thursday afternoon on WGR Sports Radio 550, NHL players will not be allowed to practice, meet or be at the team’s facilities for the time being as the NHL takes a break due to the coronavirus.

That could all change as the Executive Director of the NHLPA Don Fehr told the Associated Press on Friday, that players will be receiving a memo Friday evening telling them to stay home, but be around the cities and be available. Team facilities could open in a few days.

Fehr has been meeting for the past 24 hours with officials from the NHL as to how to proceed.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

All they have to say is if a regularly scheduled game is not played we will still make sure out PT are not affected financially. . How freaking hard is that to do?

The Pegulas may be fantastic owners and people, but they are quite possibly the worst organization at PR in sports. 

and yes, many owners have said that same exact statement that they will make their employees whole. 

I mean, Mark Cuban nailed it on live TV minutes after finding out. I always disliked him early on but he seems like a genuine guy. When asked about the NBA guys the first thing he talked was about the rest of his employees. 

• Like (+1) 1