Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s cool hearing a younger RJ call a game again. 

I miss the sounds of the old arenas, things so packed in with the low ceilings.  Some can get loud today, but they'll never sound like that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I miss the sounds of the old arenas, things so packed in with the low ceilings.  Some can get loud today, but they'll never sound like that.

Yeah watching a game there was much different than the new arena. I miss the aud.

https://theathletic.com/1700199/2020/03/25/nhl-and-team-executives-sharing-ideas-for-adjusting-the-draft-lottery/ (sub. req.)

According to an NHL source, at least one team has submitted a lottery proposal that would include a tournament in which lottery teams play for the first-overall pick. At its face, the idea sounds radical but structured the right way this has the potential to be a real asset for the league.

Without knowing the exact details of the proposal, there would have to be some assurances for the teams at the bottom of the standings that their odds of winning a lottery tournament resemble their odds of winning the lottery drawing now. That would mean home games for Ottawa and Detroit, with a fairly easy path to the championship. And likewise, a bubble team would have to go on an all-time run of games to win the lottery.

This proposal would accomplish a couple of things. It would get all players back playing, rather than just playoff teams, which would help level the playing field for next season in terms of rest and time off between games.

It would also engage fans of both playoff teams and lottery teams alike if games return. Imagine for a moment a lottery tournament final between the Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks for the rights to draft Alexis Lafreniere. Or a final between the Senators and Montreal Canadiens for the same thing. The television ratings in those markets would be off the charts.

The article says that a weighted draft lottery system is still probably the most likely scenario. But I thought this was an interesting idea (assuming that they’re even able to resume at some point before next season is set to start).

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/1700199/2020/03/25/nhl-and-team-executives-sharing-ideas-for-adjusting-the-draft-lottery/ (sub. req.)

The article says that a weighted draft lottery system is still probably the most likely scenario. But I thought this was an interesting idea (assuming that they’re even able to resume at some point before next season is set to start).

They played most of the season.  There's no reason to change the draft lottery procedures.  They shouldn't completely alter their operation just because they want a temporary ratings spike.  Sure, a couple teams here in there were going to move up or down a couple spots, but there's no way to account for that and they shouldn't just throw out 70 games worth of results.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

How do teams play when players have left and departed for locations all over the world? And when is it declared safe to play again for the players and fans? Another issue is if it is determined that in two months it is safe to play then how long will it take for players to practice as a team before the players are prepared to play games again? Before you it know the calendar is not only approaching but also blending into the next season.

This season and the playoffs are for all intents and purposes are shot. That is a harsh reality but an obvious reality. Japan reluctantly had to face this stark reality with the postponement of the Olympics for a year or so.  The bigger issue is whether people and countries respond intelligently enough so that this plague is not rekindled, which the medical experts say could happen.  If this virus is subdued only to reemerge then all sports, amateur and pro,  are facing a calamity. 

As Shrader and you indicated the weighted draft lottery system is the most likely scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

They are airing the 1st ever winter classic at Ralph Wilson stadium (Sabres vs. Penguins) on NBCS right now (it’s almost over though).

Crazy seeing how young Crosby, Malkin, Miller, Vanek, Roy (etc) are.

Edited by BillsFan4

The attached link is a long segment (28 mins) with Paul Hamilton on the Instigator Show talking about the Sabres. Some of thoughts of Paul H. were: he felt that if the Sabres were going to trade Risto for a second line forward that they would have to add more to the deal to get it done. 

He was asked by Rivet about the individual defensive players. Although he has been a consistent critic of Risto he thought that for much of the season he was our best defensemen. However, he still believes that because of his good play his value is higher than it has been. He also thought that Joki may have been one of our more consistent defensemen although he faltered toward the end of the season. 

He wants to see the Sabres re-sign Reinhart while being aware that the player has the leverage over the team because there is such a dearth of scorers on the roster. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-25-paul-hamilton

The below link is a 13 min interview of Mattias Samuelsson on WGR's Instigator Show. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-26-sabres-defenseman-mattias-samuelsson

This WGR 8 min second link is Andy Murray, the college coach of Samuelsson and Depietro (sic), talking about them as players and their prospects. Murray believes that Samuelsson has a chance to make the team but most likely will end up in Rochester. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-27-western-michigan-hockey-head-coach-andy-murray-on-mattias-samuelsson

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, shrader said:

I love the Winnipeg barn for this very reason. That place is loud on tv, I can imagine how loud it gets in person. 

• Like (+1) 1

I forgot how exciting this game was. Enjoying this one.

Those 06-07 teams were so damn close. Has they kept Drury & Briere and added 1 more piece and they could have been a cup favorite for years. Instead they both left and it all slowly fell apart until we ended up where were at now. 

Edited by BillsFan4

You know, I was thinking... If Botterill’s job was truly on the line, I have to believe that he is safe for next season now.

This is such a unique circumstance. It would be tougher to do a GM search and tougher for a new GM to take over. He would face so many unique challenges.

I also think they probably wanted to give him 1 more year anyway, but there was a lot of pressure coming from fans and media. Now I would think the fan/media backlash will be minimal. People will understand.

And when a time comes that we can all safely go back to the arena and watch a game, I’m sure fans will be flooding in, just out of celebration. I know I will. As much as the Sabres pissed me off I sure do miss watching them (and the NHL in general).

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

You know, I was thinking... If Botterill’s job was truly on the line, I have to believe that he is safe for next season now.

This is such a unique circumstance. It would be tougher to do a GM search and tougher for a new GM to take over. He would face so many unique challenges.

I also think they probably wanted to give him 1 more year anyway, but there was a lot of pressure coming from fans and media. Now I would think the fan/media backlash will be minimal. People will understand.

And when a time comes that we can all safely go back to the arena and watch a game, I’m sure fans will be flooding in, just out of celebration. I know I will. As much as the Sabres pissed me off I sure do miss watching them (and the NHL in general).

He's probably safe now and probably should be based on the virus and how hard it would be to organize a brand new management team.  If Krueger was willing to take on the role for now, that might work but is probably too much for one guy.

Free agency may end up being tough in a way similar to football.  With less information about players maybe Botts will accidentally pick up a good forward or two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The below attached link is a column by Ryan Kennedy from the Hockey News about how to fix the Sabres. It is overly generic but it does offer some suggestions that are apparent to most of us. My sense is that Botterill is a strong believer in internal development in order to build a roster. So I don't see any drastic moves that will mortgage the future for short term benefits. However, I do see Risto or another defenseman with additional assets moved to enhance the second line and scoring potential.

If one reviews this disappointing season it is not unreasonable to believe that with a better PK and better goal tending this team could have earned an additional 8 to 10 points. That in itself would have led to a more positive perspective and outlook on the season and near future.  

https://www.si.com/nhl/2020/03/03/how-to-fix-the-buffalo-sabres

• Like (+1) 1

This clip on Dawson Dipietro was taken from Sabres.com. If you watch the short clip (7 seconds) from the last development camp you can see that he can turn on the jets. He is 24 yrs old so I expect that he will directly go to Rochester. His college coach (a former NHL coach) believes that he has a chance to make the big club. I doubt it unless a number of players will be moved. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-sign-dawson-dipietro-western-michigan/c-316256530

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a column by Bill Hoppe writing for Buffalo Hockey Beat. It's about Dominik Kahun. Included in the link are highlights of Kahun when he was with the Penguins. Botterill made a good deal to get Joki. Just maybe this deal will work out as well. In the games he played for Buffalo he demonstrated that he can skate and has good offensive skills. The line he was on with Johansson-Olofsson was a  very active line that created a lot of chances. I thought Johansson was rejuvenated playing on this fast and skilled line. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-might-possess-special-talent-in-newcomer-dominik-kahun/?view=getnewpost

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-eichel-is-in-buffalo-self-quarantining

article from a conference call Eichel did with the media. I’ll post the full interview as soon as it’s up.

He is a smart young man!

The growth in maturity over the past few years is evident. You can see the influence of his family in that although he has been a star player throughout his hockey life there is little trace of entitlement. He is a well grounded young adult on and off the ice. 

• Like (+1) 1

I cancelled my season tickets today.  

It hurt my soul, but absolutely the correct thing to do.  Been a season ticket holder in some way, shape or form since 2001.  A fan since 1985.  After all this, an 8% increase on my ticket price, just because I have stuck with it to maintain a decent seat location was the last straw of many.  

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I cancelled my season tickets today.  

It hurt my soul, but absolutely the correct thing to do.  Been a season ticket holder in some way, shape or form since 2001.  A fan since 1985.  After all this, an 8% increase on my ticket price, just because I have stuck with it to maintain a decent seat location was the last straw of many.  

sorry to hear that May Day..sure it was a tough decision. Cant blame you in any way. I have a friend here in Richmond that has been a season ticket holder going back to early 90's, and he decided even before all this craziness he was giving his up...his adult children in Buffalo were not even going to the games anymore even if he gave them the tickets...

This is a 15 min clip of Marty on WGR talking about some of the players on the more offensive teams he played on. The one team he talked about that was injury riddled in the playoffs was a genuine cup contending team. At the end of the clip he talked about a couple of the players he didn't like. Marty has to be one of the most likeable people in the media. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-02-marty-biron

• Like (+1) 1

The below Buffalo News link is about the furloughs and cuts due to the coronavirus. It states that Paul Hamilton is one of the employees being furloughed. This link was taken from the TBD hockey side. It's sad to see anyone lose their job for reasons that they have no control over. I'm hoping that Marty Biron doesn't get laid off because I consider him to be the best local Sabre and NHL analyst. He also has a likeable  personality that makes him enjoyable to listen to. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/02/local-entercom-radio-stations-facing-furloughs-layoffs-salary-cuts/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-eichel-says-head-coach-ralph-krueger-somebody-look/

Sabres’ Eichel says head coach Ralph Krueger is ‘somebody that I look up to’

During an appearance on Hockey Central on Friday, Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel talked about the strong bond he shares with his head coach, Ralph Krueger, and said he sees Krueger as “a role model for leadership.”

“His demeanour, the way that he handles himself in the locker room in front of everyone everyday,” Eichel said. “He’s somebody that I look up to a lot as a role model for leadership. There’s such a great respect there and I think that it’s mutual between the two of us.

The trust there, the trust between the two of us that no matter what, we can say what we need to say to each other. He’s been so helpful to me,” said Eichel. “I can’t say enough good things about him and as a young captain, to have a coach like that, I think it just makes my job so, so much easier.”

(full audio interview in link) 

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

The below Buffalo News link is about the furloughs and cuts due to the coronavirus. It states that Paul Hamilton is one of the employees being furloughed. This link was taken from the TBD hockey side. It's sad to see anyone lose their job for reasons that they have no control over. I'm hoping that Marty Biron doesn't get laid off because I consider him to be the best local Sabre and NHL analyst. He also has a likeable  personality that makes him enjoyable to listen to. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/02/local-entercom-radio-stations-facing-furloughs-layoffs-salary-cuts/

Marty Biron is one of my favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

We have discussed this before but the maturation on and off the ice is so apparent. Some posters were worried that Jack would get demoralized with the struggles and disappointments of the past couple of season. From the number of clips and reporting that I have read my sense is that as a captain and with his good relationship and belief in the coach he is invested in the team and its future success.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We have discussed this before but the maturation on and off the ice is so apparent. Some posters were worried that Jack would get demoralized with the struggles and disappointments of the past couple of season. From the number of clips and reporting that I have read my sense is that as a captain and with his good relationship and belief in the coach he is invested in the team and its future success.  

I feel the same way. I’ve said it all season - if anything, I think he’s MORE invested now. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Tomorrow MSG starts airing the 2006 playoff series against Philly.

I believe the 1st game has Brian Campbell’s hit on RJ Umberger.

It definitely was.  I was there.  That was one of the highest energy Sabre crowds I ever saw, and I've been to some of the biggest games in their history.  

• Like (+1) 1

The attached WGR link is a 17 min segment with Linus Ullmark on the Instigator Show. I have always been impressed with how so many foreign players speak English so well. Both Hutton and Ullmark were individually asked on their respective segments by the hosts who was the best defensive defenseman who played in front of them. Both stated McCabe noting that each goalie appreciated him blocking shots in front of them.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-06-sabres-goalie-linus-ullmark

• Like (+1) 1

Attached is a link from the Instigator Show. It is a 43 min segment but you only need to listen to the first half of the segment where Craig Button, a former GM and current NHL analyst, talks glowingly about Dylan Cozens and a proposed trade of our first pick for a player such as Strome. He believes that Cozens will be with the Sabres next year. His thoughts about his willingness to deal a first round pick revolve around the circumstance of where you are as a team and the necessity of being more present minded than future oriented. The first 20 minutes with Button presents good hockey conversation in a period of time when it is not played. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-06-hr-2-the-instigators

Anyone else watching the Sabres re-broadcast? 

I think this is the most excited I've been to watch any of the games so far.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game even more though. That was one of the most exciting Sabres playoff games I’ve watched. I remember feeling so good about where that team was at after that game. Man I hope we have a team that good again someday (soon).

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't want to come off as being too negative but I don't see any chance that the season or directly going into some truncated playoff format can happen this year. The players are scattered all over the world with most of them not having the ability to adequately work out to stay in acceptable game shape. If the players do get together how many practices will it take before you can get some level of cohesion to play at a decent level? What happens if a player, or coach or staff member belatedly is determined to have the coronavirus? Do you then quarantine the team and staff as recommended by the medical experts? 

I don't see the need yet to immediately make the official call to cancel the season or the playoffs. But as time moves on the looming issue is not about this season but next season. Will the public health situation be at a level where it is safe for the players, staff and fans be able to participate in the sport? 

This virus is so contagious that 5 to 15 contaminated fans in an arena holding 17,000 people can result in an infectious catastrophe in which another hot spot of contagion has started over again. 

This is a powerful virus. It is so frightening that until a treatment and vaccination has been developed it will continue to alter not only the sporting world but also how we all function in all areas of endeavor. 

• Like (+1) 1